/prod/ - Music Production General

Talk about music production, composition, songwriting and audio engineering.

Upload WIPs on clyp.it/

GIVE feedback and RECEIVE feedback.

>ATTENTION!
DO NOT post Soundcloud, YouTube or any other links where you are not anonymous (unless somebody asks you for it). That is considered self promotion and will usually result in a bad feedback.

>LEARNING RESOURCES

(Obligatory mixing course)
>The Art of Mixing by David Gibson
youtu.be/TEjOdqZFvhY

(Obligatory synthesis course + additional related videos)
>Intro to Synthesis by New York School of Synthesis
youtu.be/atvtBE6t48M

YouTube channels that you should subscribe to:

>Point Blank Music School
youtube.com/channel/UCIWNozFjO8yVdJFsGKVmPgg

>Pensado's Place
youtube.com/user/PensadosPlace

>SeamlessR (in-depth music production and sound design tutorials, based on FL Studio)
youtube.com/user/SeamlessR

>BusyWorksBeats (same as above, a lot of good new content coming)
youtube.com/user/busyworksbeats

>ADSR Music Production Tutorials
youtube.com/channel/UCf5UKh_cj2_5pUomhyswWYQ

>Justin Omoi
youtube.com/channel/UCMnmXvv9JHJPsrrob-gEn5A

>WarBeats
youtube.com/user/nfxbeats/videos

>Samori Coles (not many videos, but a few good ones on compression and EQ)
youtube.com/user/homestudiotutor/videos

>Modern Mixing
youtube.com/user/ModernMixing/videos

>Image Line Tutorials (for FL Studio users)
youtube.com/user/imageline/playlists

>READ THIS BEFORE ASKING WHERE TO BEGIN

Other urls found in this thread:

clyp.it/kd4vqnl3
clyp.it/kcgke3zd
soundcloud.com/ukiyoau
clyp.it/e1bcx2dl
clyp.it/vfrh3lvj
clyp.it/hlzskfl0
clyp.it/pnzugvin
discord.gg/cfwMgqU
clyp.it/fujg5wza
clyp.it/huubatyu
youtu.be/nRGe8iK0jvE
www57.zippyshare.com/v/qqEnK2qw/file.html
clyp.it/4ldhdhs0
clyp.it/cxn1oleh
clyp.it/dujh050b
clyp.it/eajm5af5
my.mixtape.moe/vxhegi.mp3
youtube.com/watch?v=r-McmgQbee0
clyp.it/sprzuqgo
clyp.it/2udhmgpb
youtube.com/watch?v=16aa5NtpVbw
youtube.com/watch?v=tXuF7C5qGOA
youtube.com/watch?v=pEJwI_AXw_s
clyp.it/a5pse0vt
clyp.it/kz2dsj14
youtube.com/watch?v=R8AOAap6_k4
twitter.com/AnonBabble

PREVIOUS THREAD:

>no shitposting edition

clyp.it/kd4vqnl3

I laughed way too hard
good job

clyp.it/kcgke3zd
r8 it boyz. Trying to get that Earl Sweatshirt vibe from IDLSIDGO.

how come sound engies always criticize my work?
i try to tell them im going for an effect and they're like "NONO NO, you dont understand the waves, i have to record it this way then in post we'll make it the way you want"

why cant they just record it the way i make the sounds?? why gimp me and then beef it up ingenuously in post???? whats their deal with messing up everyones intended sound?

Why would you use an engineer if you don't want them to expound on your sound..

Depression 909

why the fuck am I not hearing anything

I can hear my clips when I hit the keyboard on the screen but as I play it is silent

that's normally the careful way of saying it sounds like ass

soundies shouldn't be doing that. unless you're actually creating some kind of technical conundrum that makes it difficult or impossible to record the way you want it to sound

because they balance and improve every aspect of the mix and stereo field. You are probably giving them tracks that essentially make their job much more difficult to make sound objectively "good"

because if you suddenly change your mind or want to do some alterations to the sound they dont have to spend 3 days re recording your shit just because you are to anal retentive to realise it.

Is there any DAW that lets you automate things with other ways than drawing lines?

Why don't more plugins allow a secondary midi input so you can 'play' filter frequency, delay time or whatever parameter? And maybe a lag/slide value.

In Sonic Charge Cyclone which is an 80s hardware sampler thing you can program the whole thing with midi notes, you can even do it with an arpeggiator at 128th notes

>clyp.it/kcgke3zd
you have some bass balancing issues, the 30 - 500 hz range drown everything out.

because you are trying to prod on linux

you mean like using keyboard for midi cc value?

Noted will make the changes now.

Either stuff posted here is actually gud or this guy also sucks, but the point is that I can't tell a difference but he somehow has a nice following.

soundcloud.com/ukiyoau

clyp.it/e1bcx2dl
>worked on this for 3 days let me know how i did.

clyp.it/vfrh3lvj

just made my first song ever
thoughts?

this it's a polite 'you don't know what you're doing, idiot'

pls respond

>Why don't more plugins allow a secondary midi input so you can 'play' filter frequency, delay time or whatever parameter?
... what plugins dont do this? do you not know what mapping midi values to knobs is?

clyp.it/hlzskfl0

AHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH

I mean with the piano roll

Any one got link for a good DAW on torrent?

I need one pretty quick for a little project and don't have time to fight to make it work

sounds like a glitch or something. did you try restarting the program/your computer?

yeah I think it has to do with the settings of this project because other ones work fine

You can get a legit Ableton trial for 30 days from their website.

didn't there used to be a loophole where you could circumvent the 30 day expiration period

dunno what daw you're in, but ableton lets you map parameters to midi key ranges

clyp.it/pnzugvin

need more feedback

get in line, bozo.

No. Mine expired a few days ago :(

Stop fucking fighting about which daw is better , just use what you like and enjoy yourself.

discord.gg/cfwMgqU

Hello, feel free to join our friendly /prod/ discord

*No idea.

Is the standard version worth getting over the intro version?

Noice! thanks (you)

>then in post
>in post

sounds like you're getting ripped off by a shitty roflmao

Never used bitwig in my entire life, but looking at the bottom, it appears the sample is mapped to root key C3, and you are playing notes in the C6 range.

nobody's fighting, one guy is just desperately trying to convince people that piano rolls and mono/stereo knobs are the lynchpins of a daw

Anyone here uses Renoise? Recently switched over to Linux and am considering buying it.

How does the tracker hold up to other DAW's piano roll?

It’s the Nutshack! (Yee, yee)
It’s the Nutshack! (What he say?)
It’s the Nutshack! (Oh, yes! Yeeeah)
It’s the Nutshack! (Hey, I got the Nutshack!)
It’s the Nutshack! (‘The fuck you say, boyee?)
It’s the Nutshack! (It’s the Nutshack!)
It’s the Nutshack! (It’s the Nutshack!)
It’s the Nutshack! (It’s the Nutshack…)
It’s the Nutshack! (Hey!)
It’s the Nutshack! (Piece a’ nuts!)
It’s the Nutshack! (Whoooa!)
It’s the Nutshack!
Hoo-ugh!
Phil’s from the stone, Jack’s from the pier,
Horatio or Horat so beer!
Tito Dick “Dickman”, baby!
He hates Phil and loves the ladies.
Jack’s cool-ass lazy, he’s still learnin’.
Number one Cherry Pie, still a virgin.
Chita, meet da freak of da weekah!
Phil’s homegirl that Jack wanna keep her,
But that’s not happenin’, either!
Shakin’ like a seizure, hold up, boys
and spark this, take a breather.
With that reefer in my lungs,
I got grapes, what you watchin’, son?
It’s the Nutshack! (Yah!)
It’s the Nutshack! (AAAAARRRGH!)
It’s the Nutshack!
It’s the Nutshack!

do you guys produce on headphones or monitors?

both, but everything's finalized on monnyters

>clyp.it/pnzugvin
i don't like
sounds corney

BUT ABLETON IS BETTER BECAUSE IT IS

Headphones > home cinema > car stereo > back to headphones

don't even josh about it user. just let it rest.

>clyp.it/vfrh3lvj
not bad
not bad at all
keep going definitely has major potential

I'm the Poizone v2 vst from fl studio, I usually create a sound I like and turn on the arpeggiator

Poizone vst from fl studio, I make a sound, turn on the arpeggiator and then just play notes while modulating

clyp.it/fujg5wza
clyp.it/huubatyu

how long until you can buy cheapo knockoff chink synths on aliexpress?

211 days

yes, if you are on mac.

>Make sure Ableton is closed
>Open Terminal
>type: sudo opensnoop "enter application name here"
>enter your password
>open ableton
>while its opening, monitor the terminal window
>try to determine what file is accessed right before the trial expiration window pops up
>locate that file in finder
>alter the file name (e.g. add a letter to the end of it)
>close ableton and reopen

this might take a couple tries to get the correct file. If you don't get the correct file, just make sure you change the filename back to the original before trying again.

you'll just have to navigate through the worst interface ever that will probably have some built in mp3 player app that doesn't work

REEEEEEEEE FUCKING SLAVS AND THEIR CYRYLLIC ALPHABET I CAN'T SAMPLE YOUR SHIT REEEE I HAVE TO UNCYRILLIQUIZE YOUR FUCKING MUSIC SO I CAN LOAD IT PROPERLY REEEEEEE

lol what shit tier daw does this?

Ableton

my ableton doesnt

you must have the disableton version then BOOM

lol how would having the one that DOESNT do the stupid thing be the disableton version?

haha i don't know man, i was just trying to keep-up the nonsensical shitposting regarding ableton. i'm not that great at shitposting i guess, sorry for the confusion!

does anyone have an idea how some artists fit all there elements together so well? each instrument/effect seems to compliment each other in "good" songs. How do I do this, is it just practice?

it's usually the mix engineers behind the scenes that make that magic really happen. Ideally you want to get it close, then you can apply all the tricks.

you'll learn it with time

Someone please go through the process with me on how you start making music.

Well user, for starters: do you yearn?

>have a song in your head you want to hear but doesn't exist
>make it
or
>start up DAW to fuck around
>come up with a song in the process

hmm, I'm aware of that, but what I meant was more the sound design and picking instruments which match each other, not mixing and mastering

hopefully :)

>spend 2 years practicing all day everyday ignoring the pain you get from how terrible you are
>finally start making competent sounding music
>spend more years until it's good and interesting

Has anyone made a sample with farts

I can upload my fart samples and people can try

This is basically it. Actually the fucking around in DAW is so productive that it's insane, like you open up a keyboard synth and play a note and you're like SHIT. You can literally hold that note for any duration, and afterwards you can play different note? play the same note again? play a note on a different instrument? just have silence???

As you make these decisions, it doesn't narrow down the possibilities, it just opens them up

If you get in this mindset you can crank out like 20 songs a day

1970, roger waters and ron geesin blew belches and anal farts into microphones and it is glorious

youtu.be/nRGe8iK0jvE

That was fantastic

it's raw tape sampling done to an absolute expert level. no DAWs in these days, every smack, belch, and buttcheek slap was sampled on a couple inches of tape, cut, and patched together into a surprisingly coherent piece of music

>roger waters and ron geesin blew belches and anal farts into microphones
bullshit, there's clearly a piano

(cool track tho, i bet you Boredoms love this shit)

www57.zippyshare.com/v/qqEnK2qw/file.html

ron geesin played some saloon music on the ol' honkey tonk as well. as much of a musical genius roger waters is, his loins don't actually sound like a pinao.

but you have to admit the editing, production, and sheer boldness of the project is quite admirable and accomplished

absolute madman

and billy joel complained that the microphone smelled like a beer. kek what a spoilt brat!

absolutely, they're fucking tape cut and paste pioneers and you are right to laud them for it

i bet they were into Steve Reich tho :)

Why is Cred Forums going nuts for that new Danny brown album. Imo it is shit /prod/

literally.

It's just nonsense thrown into a sampler then handed off to a team of 20 engineers to make it sound "better"

Where were you when hip hop production died?

I was at home eating smegma butter
Then slim shady played on mtv

This shit pisses me the fuck off

clyp.it/4ldhdhs0
how's my soundcloud core coming along

I think I'm going insane

clyp.it/cxn1oleh

Agreed

Pop music production tactics are bleeding into other genres like wildfire

Jealous

because of the automatic assumption that different = good all the time every time

Looks like a Danny fanboy got lost

It is shit

Its like someone scrubbed thru soundcloud with their sp202 and gave Danny a microphone.

You're kidding me, Alchemist is one of the great, great producers of all time along with pete rock, bomb squad, madlib, rza and premier

Get a DAW and start exploring. The sky's the limit. If you can think of a way to get a sound: it's right. Shitty sound from youtube? Doesn't matter. It's the kind of sound you like? Use it. Doesn't matter. Tinkering with a synth and get a cool tone but don't know how to control it or how to replicate it? Fuck it. Sounds cool? Use it. If you think the way you are doing things might get you a good sound: it's right.

Eventually after learning a lot about a DAW you see that making music is pretty much this infinite sonic exploration. It's an absolute realm of ideas.

Na
SP-202 has too much crunch, more like an OP-1

Doesn't mean he'll be consistently great

>all time
Wew

Cause you're a faggot

Name ten producers that are better. All time.

He has a massive body of work and it IS consistently great, where the fuck have you been?

Listening to AE for the second time, how can you say he's consistently great when White Lines is so bad

god all you faggots can do is bicker over the stupidest shit

So what did we learn:
>The beatles are shit
>Ween was better
?

Literally all I did was download FL Studio and fuck around with it every day. Messed around with the sample projects to see how all the plugins and features worked and then started making my own stuff.

Easy

Trent Reznor
Alan moulder
Dr Dre
Pharell
Danger Mouse
BT
Steve albini
Dave Jerden
timberland
Rick Rubin

>Name ten producers that are better. All time.
Statik Selektah
9th wonder
FlyLo
Stoupe The Enemy of Mankind
Jack Splash
Maker
Ant
Terrace Martin
Questlove
Black Milk

lol u must be retarded

wow between the both of you maybe 5 and even that's stretching it

These are both great lists

Nope

9/10
Great variety

I'll give you Dre and Timbaland.

I'm obviously talking about hip hop beatsmiths and i have no idea how the fuck you are including Albini and Rubin on this list.

>Maker
>9th
now here's a list i can cosign
you have great taste man, checking the ones I haven't heard

that guy obviously has no idea what he's talking about but rubin actually makes some great hip hop but even including him there's only about 7 who might be considered better

Sorry I thought we were talking about great all time producers. Not sticking to a specific genre of producers notoriously limited by their sample collection.

How do I make my music sound big?

oh yeah and what about beatsmiths who use 90% laboriously crafted synths with the occasional sample? any other ignorant generalizations you wanna make that prove you barely know a fucking thing about the genre of music you're posting about?

Not that user but this is /prod/ bruh, genre don't matter here

my bad i got confused between all the fucking AE threads i'm juggling

Production is production
You don't have to be deep in a style of music in order to appreciate it

Steal a copy of Passive EQ from NI and put lows on the side with the high's in the middle

then sample choice shouldn't matter either

In hip hop terminology, a producer is a completely different role than eg Steve Albini or even a George Martin.

You're talking about basically the all-encompassing primary instrumentalist, as opposed to the recording engineer. The hip hop producer might be limited to their "sample collection" depending on what sort of musician they are.

Anyway, I fucked up and genuinely thought I was posting in a hip hop thread. You guys are perfectly right to discuss the greatest all time producers and I wholehartedly agree that Albini is one of them.

So Demo intro track off of my first EP that im currently working on , going for a triphop vibe
this is the beat , i still need to add more samples of different stuff. later. I want this to give the feel
of the rest of the songs after this. Kinda like
the gate way song into the other songs

>You're talking about basically the all-encompassing primary instrumentalist, as opposed to the recording engineer
If he was talking about the recording engineer, he would have said recording engineer. A producer in the traditional sense would still be the encompassing primary instrumentalist.

Not producers like Albini

But producers like George Martin

clyp.it/dujh050b
lol forgot the link

Thanks friends! We post clyp'its all damn day and it seems nobody ever fucking "gets it". You bros, you get it.

working with really low clock speeds
clyp.it/eajm5af5

just experimenting a bit. should have probably cut this somewhere but you can skip around and tell me if the textures are at least interesting.

In what way was George Martin the "primary instrumantalist?" For writing sheet music?

Hip hop producers are more comparable to keyboardists/synth players.

wanna make brash as fuck noise pop, but all ive got to my name is a laptop, a hybrid acoustic and a bass
thinkin about pickin up a 4 track cassette recorder as well

can you guys recommend some essential equipment? low-mid range ideally

Hopefully this is a simple question: how do I stretch a sample in ableton? I saw a YouTube tutorial and someone put a sweep on an audio track, repeatedly hit something on the keyboard which caused it to stretch out in a way that didn't seem related to the bpm. What's the shortcut?
Thanks in advance.

sp303 tbqhf
or 404
you won't ever regret it

>2016
>"""""THE BEST""""" DAW is not even able to stretch audio

>feeling on top of the world one week to uninspired, talentless and hopeless the next
does it ever stop

I want XOSAR to be my next DAW.

Me too thanks.

Textures and general arrangement are interesting. Overall enjoyed the sound!

I'm working on some IDM stuff at the moment, happy with the track enough to render it so heres the first version.

my.mixtape.moe/vxhegi.mp3

I produce strange IDMish dub beats, its hard to describe my art.

>the guy who keeps trying to start ableton shitwards ios the same guy who posts DOOD HAWT GURLS W/ SYNTHZ pictures
shocking

youtube.com/watch?v=r-McmgQbee0

Just change "writing" for "producing/composing/writing lyrics/other".

mono

listening to some old projects I found on a forgotten sd, fucking hell I've never cringed this hard

>ableton
cringing rn desu senpai

what's wrong with the good old ableton?

>WHERES MUH MONOSTEREO KNOB??? LE PEENO ROLL IS SHET 0/10 WORST DAW

>thinkin about pickin up a 4 track cassette recorder
why? do you plan on going completely OTB? if so, you probably need at least $1000 to get started. if not, I don't see the point.

if you just want an OTB tape effect, pick up a higher end, three head tape deck from eBay and that will get you what you're looking for.

otherwise just use your DAW for recording.

>essential equipment
pick up an external audio interface for your laptop. that's your starting point if you want to get your OTB instruments (i.e. hybrid acoustic and bass) into your DAW.

without an idea of what you mean by "low-mid range" it'll be hard to recommend an interface.

if you are trying to keep your cash outlay pretty low, I'd recommend doing as much ITB as you can.

Live is a perfectly serviceable DAW.

thisisbait.svg

What did he mean by this?

clyp.it/sprzuqgo

>that color scheme

disgusting

>shtting on Ableton

you automatically know when someone is a complete amateur when they try talking shit about Ableton.

its the best color scheme i ever used

nigga are you serious or just blind?

Your shit isn't even color coded.

Does Major Lazer use FL Studio? That's based because, even though I don't listen to that kind of music much, I like a lot of their stuff.

but ableton is fun

It has that retro feel, which kinda looks cool.

totally serious man, that's why I use that scheme

and as I wrote before that project belong to an era in which I used to get +5db on the master track thinking it was ok... let alone color coding

Yeah no shit you do because he admitted at SXSW last year during a conference (that he showed to drunk) that he just gets pre-mastered samples and just slaps it all in a DAW.

Congratulations; you are the common denominator that the Jews sell to.

WOAH MAN U R SO LE REDPILLED XDD #MAGA

I know he does and I literally couldn't care less.

In what order should I use, compression, normalization, and EQ, or should I even bother with EQ at all?

fixed

compress and eq in whatever order is necessary
dont normalize

>not using based default skin
>not color coding everything
>not pregrouping your sounds
>not having multiple routing channels set up
>not having your own template

Fucking plebs, all of you. Go back to FL Studio if you are going to do this shit.

Probably not the answer you are looking for, but use them in whatever order sounds best. There is no one right answer.

Personally, I (and in my experience most people) usually set EQ before dynamics processing. That said, there are times when I tame dynamics before fussing with EQ.

>should I even bother with EQ
Yes, without a doubt.

EQ, Mutiband Compression, Saturation, Compression.

live 8 default>live 9 default

here man, you dropped these

>having a custom template
>never changing the style of your song
>hating on othere people on how they organize their stuff

I guess your doing well with your productions

Maybe doing this on your 2buss could make sense, but putting MB compression before compression on a per track basis strikes me as a bad idea.

what does lve 8 default have to do with hipster glasses?

he's making fun of ablelel haters

what's going on with that drum bus? looks like there are 3 additional tracks? you processing parts independently?

also what is control hub?

>he thinks staying organized has anything to do with song structure

Real talk, if you want to be professional at this, you need to create a good template for workflow. Every producer in the professional environment has a template of one form or another. Starting from scratch each time is just amateur hour, and I don't say that to be insulting, I just mean that it shows clear signs that someone hasn't been doing it very long.

means your opinion is shit senpai

>implying mixing workflow impacts "musical style"

lel

Only good template is empty template

and this is my beautiful latest project

>ableton
>sq8l
>122 bpm
>vocoder
jej

>LET ME TELL YOU ALL ABOUT WHY GREY IS TEH BEST COLOUR

Well sense you asked so nicely.

Control hub is just a routing group I have set up that sends a signal through various channels, to stream line the process of writing midi, using various plugins and effects on each channel. So for instance, let's say I right down a piece in C#min. Using Control HUB, the way I have set it up, I can easily listen to it what it sounds like in Fmin or Amaj, and/or I can then feed it through an Arp, and/or I can feed it through a chord plugin (say for instance Cthulhu), feed it through another arp, and just keep going and going for as long as I like. I can then either record it all on the final MIDI channel so I have all the keys as if they had actually been played, or I can send the signal to another channel, say one in my Bass group.

Hence why I called it the (Control Hub). I also keep a lot of my saved melodies on there as MIDI in case I want to use them again for a different song.

>I also keep a lot of my saved melodies on there as MIDI in case I want to use them again for a different song.
HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA

woah dood, evrything you make must be so yooneeque

> I also keep a lot of my saved melodies on there as MIDI in case I want to use them again for a different song.

>not writing new stuff for every new song

are you retarded?

ah, i've been considering doing something like that. So it sounds like you can build multiple 'rhythm/melody' tracks based on one midi clip just playing chords or something?

are you also autistic enough to not save your own presets?

writing a new custom preset > recycling melodies

faggot.

we're all glad we have a special little snowflake like you to brighten our days :)

Again, amateur hour in here. This is an old as fuck technique, and allows me to utilize stuff in a different way each time. An Chorded Intro set in Amin may sound like an awesome arped chorus in Fmaj. That's why I have it. It's about experimenting, and trying new things.

But it's fine. Keep making your sampled and loopmastered beats and keep telling yourselves you are standing out from every other wide brimmed kid who thinks they are going to be the next Major Lazor just because you don't no the very basics of audio production.

You got it. basically an analogue routing system made within Ableton.

tfw launchpads don't work well with track groups and you have to bus everything

>not being able to play a simple chords from spot
>HAHA AMATEURS MY BOOK WRITTEN BY PROS SAID THIS IS PRO TECHNIQUE
>anime picture
:^)

N-no shut up, you are projecting!

>not being able to
or is it
>being smart enough to realize you dont need to 100% of the time and terchnology can be used to help with this instead of shunned in an effort to win a pissing contest

Yeah, that's the only downside to my system. I'm waiting for the day when Ableton makes it so you can just have groups that are solely there to be collapsible.

bravo

> Keep making your sampled and loopmastered beats and keep telling yourselves you are standing out from every other wide brimmed kid who thinks they are going to be the next Major Lazor ... bla bla bla

i feel bad for you

>saving chords is better than being able to instantly make chords on spot
Learn some theory Mr. Fmaj

he probably feels bad for you too, you dont even realize what a moron you are
why not do both you massive autist? lol

>B-B-BUT IM SO ORIJUNAL!!! IM LE ICONOCLASTIC MODERN PRODUCTION GENIUS!!! DONT YOU KNOW IVE *NEVER* PLAYED THESE CHORDS BEFORE???

I do something similar with midi routing, but much more basic.

every standard chord in every major/minor scale, organized by color and use a launchpad for triggering. They all route to a single midi track that then gets routed to whichever track I want to record on.

Ideally I would want to try doing what you are doing, make multiple instances that get routed through different arpeggiators...

GOD UR SO UNORIGINAL UR JUST RECYCLING THOSE CHORDS EVERY TIEM

>this triggered
Playing them on spot is superior in every aspect because you can instantly change them. If I were you I would delete your autistic chord folder and learn some theory.

I'm Mr Fmaj actually, and I guarantee I've been doing this a lot longer than you have. Have even taught classes on this shit. You think you are the first pleb I've had walk in with his pants pulled high and scoff at all the techniques saying stupid shit like,

>"WELL I'M JUST GONNA DO IT ALL BY SCRATCH! NO CHEATS FOR ME! I'M THE REAL DEAL!"

You know what happens to them all? They all quit halfway through, or just flat out fail. You know why? Because in actuality. They don't know anything. Having good work flow is essential. Having good technique is essential. Being able to create different systems for creation and then saving those systems is essential. No one in the professional world will ever even take a second glance at you if you don't understand that very basic concept.

You know why? Because it means you lack discipline and show no intelligence to the craft or the business. And no one likes dealing with an arrogant little boy who is too busy day dreaming about being DJ Diddy Scoop to realize he has nothing to show for it.

>because you can instantly change them
... are you not aware of how midi notes work? this keeps getting better lol

keep sucking your own dick for playing chords. god, i mean... you're practically mozart!

you probably select from the same 12 notes every time, huh? western tuning plebs

I'm kinda new to producing, I don't really understand the benefit of having those chord banks set up. Why not just play them when you need them?

I'LL HAVE YOU KNOW I MAKE MICROTONAL XENHARMONIC CHORDS THAT I PLAY BY HAND *EVERY TIME*!!!!

do you even have a plugin for parameter automation ? do you dare to produce something yourself in your (pretty sure) shitty tracks?

also go fuck yourself you and all those who thinks I make "major lazeer" stuff

>Playing them on spot is superior in every aspect because you can instantly change them.

holy shit this post just screams "I'm fucking 13 and use Reaper"

h-hey i'm fucking 20 and use reaper...

>RE-USING SOMETHING THAT YOU YOURSELF ORIGINALLY MADE??? GOD UR SUCH A HACK CAN YOU EVEN DO ANYTHING BY YOURSELF???

because i'm using them as a comp tool... much easier for me to hit a button instead of thinking about which chords actually fall within which scale.

come on man we all know that your songs sounds exactly the same

Can you change a written MIDI chord to a different inversion without clicking?
>anime
>"I know it all"
>doesn't know theory
>rewriting MIDI everytime to change voicing

>5*0+2016
>NOT MAKING UP YOUR OWN THEORY
WEW

Let's look at at a practical angle.

Let's say for instance you have a lead going that you really like.

You think, "Oh this sounds good, oh hey, I also made this one chord progression for some pads a while back that I couldn't find a use for but liked, I wonder if it would go good here."

Boom, you just saved yourself about 30 minutes of writing and ear fatigue.

I see, that kinda makes sense.

You don't even have Ableton do you.

are you fucking serious? you disgust me.
fuck I understand taking 2 sec of an old project as a sample to create a new stuff but this is just gore to my eyes

Hate to break it to you lad, but literally every working producer does this. Hell, there have even been a few who have made entire albums just using the same 8bar loop by cleverly modulating it and changing the scale. see deadmau5

there is literally nothing wrong with what user is doing. you've never followed the same chord pattern before, just a different scale? same goes for a lead. How would anyone ever know the lead from one song is the same in another, just different scale and arpeggiation? it would be difficult to tell even if you made it yourself

Doesn't mean its shit.
>listening to deadmaus

>disableton

This reads like a youtube comment, do you even produce?

>you've never followed the same chord pattern before, just a different scale?

No

can you explain what "acoustics" is used for? and why you would process that independently from say leads or pads?

>lil music major user just now realizing he's 20 years of piano lessons were complete waste of time

There's a reason most Audio Engineers and Producers come from computer science backgrounds user. You can sit there and keep bitching at everyone about it, but it's just a fact that this is way cleaner and more efficient way to create music.

>he actually said "no"

Fuck me, now I'm just imagining some sperglord pounding on piano keys shouting, "MUH CHORDS! MUH CHORDS!"

clyp.it/2udhmgpb

Something I wrote for a part in a story, I just want an atmospheric piece that encompasses some sort of dread. My main issue with it is the strings that start around 3 minutes in. And the twangy guitar. I feel like they add to the "distance" of it but they don't really convey that sense of dread I am going for where they are looking out at an evil fortress after their ship crashes.

Then at 5:45 there's this nice kind of alien howly sound that I like. It is at least decent at getting that dread feeling across. Still needs work but whatever.

So I am curious.... how should I rearrange / reorder this piece? Is it possible to keep the twangy guitars or should I just move them to a different piece? Or make two alternate versions like I did for another of my songs? I just feel like the guitar part adds some variety so it's not just shitty growling noises for 10 minutes. But I want it to feel strange and alien and terrifying. Like you would looking at a glowing evil fortress from miles away on a cold night. I dunno. Any advice would be nice. If someone wants to just put it on the in the background while they are browsing and let me know what they think it would help me a lot.

MUUUUH CHOOOOOOORDDDDSSS

Enjoy your wubwubs :^)
Do you also download drumloops?

thats actually what is going on right now

i wish all of you a good afernoon, I came back here afeter months and I think it will take me even more time to come back

Don't worry theory is not that hard, you can use your autism once you see its close to math

Sound could be sharper IMO but I don't know shit about music mixing that's just my impression. Ending is a bit abrupt, it just feels a bit ho-hum overall but with some spice it could be good. It's just too short for me to really get into but I understand that's how making this stuff works. Also I'm not a /prod/ regular in case that wasn't abundantly clear.

I wouldn't necessarily process it independently. The groups you see are from Bass to FX, are purely for organization. Acoustics is just a personal preference because I like to group my "natural" sounds away from something like a lead from Massive.

ah, that make sense
thanks

I would quit too if some animefag was teaching

Nah he actually is pretty good, only cause of those jazz-guitary doodling melodies, reminds me of Wendy's music. Like the music you listen to in Wendys when getting a fat ass ameriburger for 4.99. And that's not a bad thing either, necessarily.

>clyp.it/e1bcx2dl

I like it up til 0:17 then I don't know what the fuck happened.

The Some Guy Yells at Some Cats part was great though, did catch me unaware, 9/10.

Bad-ass battle music. What program do you use? is it free?

Thats the problem with music in general right now. Even shit that's not mainstream at all uses the same mainstream techniques. Trap beats, absurdly loud drums and compression everywhere, Brickwalling. Rap's suffered the worst in my opinion.

>clyp.it/hlzskfl0

Nice. You should do some longer pieces honestly.

I've been fucking around with Finale Songwriter since I was 12. Am still total shit but I am less shit than when I started at least.

Really good IMO famalam

Chillwave af

[spoiler]I'm trying so hard to fit in[/spoiler]

I just want a small keyboard with an actual midi port and no usb, is that too much to ask?

Is Dre actually good or is he the David Guetta of hip-hop?

>SQ8L
my niqqa

You guys know of any good physical modeling vsts like Chromaphone?

Dre is god, I use his headphones all the time to mix in Ableton and its E P I C F A M

czech'd

btw, dre was actually seminal for g funk and hip hop in general, so i wouldn't compare him to david guetta

See I hear all this but everything I see from him has had 1 or 2 other people doing production as well that don't get noticed as much. Is there anything he's actually done by himself?

nice quads satan

He pioneered that iconic west coast hip hop sound. Anytime you hear a whistling moog sound in a hip hop track, dat cause of him. you know that one that goes "woooo weeeee woo weee wo we wo wew"

Just began watching 'The Art Of Mixing' because of that link, OP.

The visuals are too funny, is this serious?

>Anytime you hear a whistling moog sound in a hip hop track, dat cause of him. you know that one that goes "woooo weeeee woo weee wo we wo wew"
>DRE DU BEST WEST COAST HURR
Protip. He didn't.
People from the bay area were doing that long before Dre.

It is serious, that's just the way it was back then.

kek
cause so many people in compton had $5k moogs

but feel free to prove us wrong on that with some, you know, proof

I don't know, is it?

Wow, he really focuses on the visualization of the sounds

I'm not sure that I hear things the same way

????

Listen to mob music from the 80s from Oakland. They used that whistle long before Dre but his song are a lot more popular.

haha, how can autism be used as an insult? Only an ignorant cunt would use autism as an insult. (And there's nothing I hate more than ignorance)

Autism is a gift in my case, I have an IQ of over 150 which makes me technically a genius thanks to my autism. I've been going through school all my life being bored out of my fucking brains getting at least 95% on all my tests (and all the incorrect answers were silly mistakes) because I'm just too fucking smart for school I can't wait for everyone else to learn something I already knew within the first day or too of being taught it. Every year I scored the best of my year on these stupid multiple choice tests we do and the headmaster came to my class to tell me that, which obviously resulted in being called a 'nerd' which is true but I shouldn't be ridiculed for it.

I recently became home educated so I could learn at my own pace and I'm getting my GCSEs done in 1/4 of the time everyone else has to do it in, I'm also doing more than double the average amount of GCSEs that usually would be done.

I used to get paid $30 an hour working online, which is more than the teaching assistants at my old school earned, it was so fun pointing that out to them.

So, in conclusion, calling someone autistic is not an insult, in my case, it makes me highly gifted.

One more thing, I don't know if this has anything to do with my autism but I am a sociopath so I'm not hindered by irrational emotions like guilt, compassion, empathy etc.

haha, the most satisfying this is to know that you will all see this as a waste of a natural gift that I am undeserving hahaha, that brings me great satisfaction.

I'm practically perfect, let the jealousy flow through you.

Another autistic thread. Good job, people.

This is borderline let the tendies hit the floor levels of autism.
Thanks for the essay you idiot.

Please, post some clyp.

who are referring to?
80s mobb music was mostly electro influenced. there was no laid back moog vibe until gfunk

im guessing you are just talking out of your ass

Sounds like shit, dude.

The mixing is atrocious. Start over.

>let the tendies hit the floor

Basically his thousand dollar waves plugin set sounds better than your $100 tube screamer or w/e. It's always better to record it clean and get it sounding the way you want it later.

why do none of yall use protools

because protools used to be awful for midi sequencing (i guess it's changed?), and a dug my feet into ableton instead.

What makes protools better than other DAWs in 2016?

Because Ableton is better

beacuse it's not better than reaper anymore

I don't know honestly. I've always just mixed in pro tools and mastered in audition. Never used Ableton. I've heard it's better for performers do you know why that is?

What's the best DAW for music like this?

youtube.com/watch?v=16aa5NtpVbw

Ableton

some people say it's rendering engine is better.
but i'd say the main benefit is how protools is so well integrated into the industry, production and performance. Artists can literally take their pro tools projects on tour, and Front of house can work within them for the live sound.

but you might want to rewire with something that can actually do pitch bends and mono

how do i become this guy?

youtube.com/watch?v=tXuF7C5qGOA

W-why?

It just is,
you retard.

Yeah, religious people use this argument too. But they didn't convinced me yet.

This. If you take any audio production course they're gonna be teaching you pro tools just cause its the standard.

See Jeff Wayne's studio. damn mate.
youtube.com/watch?v=pEJwI_AXw_s

>how do i become this guy?
Cut your hair, grow a ridiculous beard, and wear comfortable clothing.

>thinking it matters which DAW you use

Are you trying to say this is not pasta?

dude you post the absolute worst videos, could you find a more outdated mixing video? Intro to synthesis? These threads are honestly some of the most embarrassing and cringe-worthy on this horrible site.

Jbenitex presence is strong itt

that intro to synthesis is the best thing on the internet you pleb

lol mmk

Sup /prod/

who are some artists/producers you are looking up to at the moment?

Anyone with Ableton

lol

clyp.it/a5pse0vt
Space Sex Rock

But is the mix-down good enough?
clyp.it/kz2dsj14

Like a bunch of middle school kids in this thread.

Who gives a fuck what daw you use.

indeed good sir

Sounds good, dig the vocal edits,

Which resources to learn music production u guys think are good to start with aside fom those that were sent by OP lol

Hey guys I got a Mac and it has Garage Band is that good? Can I make good music?

You can believe it or not.

No, get Ableton.

This thread is so laughable.

I agree, just drowning in filthy pedestrians.

This is why there's people shitposting, stop shilling this fucking daw.

Refute it then you fucking shitposter

What the fuck happened to beautiful prod threads, this last week has been so fucking shitty here.

There's nothing to fucking prove you fucking jackass.

Not an argument.

Exactly, go fucking argue somewhere else.

If it's shit then explain why it's shit and contribute to the thread you fucking mouth breather.

How the fuck do you not realize how it's shit?

Not an argument.

Exactly, go fucking argue somewhere else.

Alt-right loser.

Typical bandawagon new fag.

Those are great videos. If you think you have something better, then post it.

Anyone know any good channels on youtube or online for Logic Pro videos? Beginner looking to make hip hop.

take new pic thread from here
youtube.com/watch?v=R8AOAap6_k4

kek'd. you have achieved even a higher samefagging level than me, i have to give you that.

NEW THREAD: