What's the appeal of funk and other similar genres?

What's the appeal of funk and other similar genres?

>inb4 muh groove
>inb4 muh rhythm
>inb4 muh soul

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=vKH-Khz7kQU
youtube.com/watch?v=hCDAfa-NI-M
youtube.com/watch?v=0_VfGVKzcfs
youtu.be/KOiY2WcU9HQ
youtu.be/7Y50FuGgWl4
youtube.com/watch?v=khtqLSXDjK0
twitter.com/NSFWRedditGif

it's groovy etc

That groovy rhythm that gets to your soul.

you answered your own question

What is music>
>inb4 art
>inb4 sound

Because it's fucking fun to listen to, m8

organised sound

and thisyou don't need an objective reason to enjoy yourself
youtube.com/watch?v=vKH-Khz7kQU

It's fun as fuck

>"what's the appeal?"
>inb4 the appeal

do you like funk?

Interesting and varied rhythms, syncopation etc. That shit is pleasing to the ear and the ass.

Sexiest style of male vocals possible, eg
youtube.com/watch?v=hCDAfa-NI-M

Absolutely stellar musicianship... Eddie Hazel is probably one of the 3 best guitarists of all time. The Meters have one of the best rhythm sections of all time.

Creativity: Check out the first Sly and the Family Stone or the first like six Funkadelic albums. There are so many crazy musical ideas here, they literally are down to try anything, I promise you whatever your expectations of funk/soul they will be completely erased if you fathom the adventurous songwriting at work herein.

Any other questions?

Oh and also, tackling serious social issues with a universal language that by its very nature brings people together:
>Don't call me nigger, whitey
>Don't call me whitey, nigger
youtube.com/watch?v=0_VfGVKzcfs

It's the funk. Simple as that. Makes you bob your head, tap your feet and move your body.

I'm gonna go with groove, rhythm and soul

Other genres of music that use a funky or swung groove but without funk's other tropes are way better than funk, though.

Its better than any metal.

Any other metal*

Funk is metal as fuck (er.. funk)

Well, you summed it up dude. Go ahead, belittle the buzzwords and vague explanations, but I'm sorry if you don't get it. It's just something you naturally vibe to, or you don't. It just makes you feel good inside and you wanna move, and I like that.

Why is music being groovy, smooth, and full of soul not enough for you to enjoy it? Why does it have to be complex and intricate on some deeper level? Can't you just enjoy it for it's simple value? Your mentality is the reason the music industry is dying, always trying to apply logic and facts to music. It sucks, man. Just, be. Exist. Enjoy. Loosen your ass cheeks.

>organized

It is literally impossible to name a more uplifting song than Move on Up. You can't

>tfw progressive dreamfunk albums don't exist

Let the vibes flow through, funk not only moves, it can remove, dig?
The desired effect is what you get
When you improve your Interplanetary Funksmanship.
youtu.be/KOiY2WcU9HQ
>Loosen your ass cheeks.

funk

sure it does
grand astoria
cornelius
le orme
the list could go on

Part of the major appeal is the inherent simplicity behind the compositions. You don't need multiple listens to get the groove and motivation behind the songs. They're upfront, stylistic, and incredibly engaging on a universally emotional level. This also lends the genre to be one-dimensional, which is fine and why it had a limited period of celebration and creation. Because of this, it is able to blend into newer sounds in interesting ways without great leaps of imagination, because the key to the music is the feel rather than the sound.

It's just fucking funky, man.

What's with this idea that funk isn't intricate? Just because James Brown could get away with one note doesn't mean that Sly and the Family Stone wasn't composing (very) sophisticated music, or even that that one note didn't belie an underlying rhythmic complexity.

Let alone the fact that there's funk-fusiony stuff that is literally prog rock + funk, like much of Frank Zappa's freakout shit. This is some of the most insanely complicated shit in the lexicon of 20th century popular music.

Basically people who dismiss funk on any level just don't know what the fuck they're talking about in my opinion.

Apostrophe and Over-Nite Sensation have strong elements of funk in them too.
They're probably the easiest and most fun to listen to imo
youtu.be/7Y50FuGgWl4
>that change at 6:20

More progfunk for yall

GOAT funk song
youtube.com/watch?v=khtqLSXDjK0

Probably because we have to beg for it. The powers that guard it won't hand it over to us so generously. And gosh darn it we asked real nicely and politely too. We said "We want the funk" We told them to "Give up the funk" We made it clear that "We NEED the funk" and that we "Gotta have that funk" But we were forced to tear this mother out and tear the roof off the sucker tear the roof off the mother sucker!

top post fellow funkateer

>1472
WITNESSED

(in funk all numerical combinations are quads)

this guy knows the kingdom of heaven is within

Because it moves your ass