ITT: GOAT Hip Hop Albums (Danny B. Edition)

Discuss these 10 great albums and whether they are truly the pinnacles of hip-hop (Both culturally and subjectively).

>EDM with raps

that nwa album is such overrated trash
better off putting public enemy ffs
liquid swords>36 chambers
i'll give u nas
mm food>madvillain

replace NOTM with tms
mbdtf sure
gkmc nope I'd replace that with shabazz palaces black up
TPAB sure
XXX>AE

What are you even trying to say you fucking idiot?

replace MBDTF with CD or LR and add pic related and then yeah you pretty much got the pinnacles

>hip-hop fag has reading problems

not even surprising

you mean 10 token albums for rockists who know absolutely nothing about rap

This

Modern rappers who "grew up" on ATCQ make music for white people

>being this much of a troll

I hope you cry next time you think about how unhappy you truly are

>he can't handle different opinions

OP here,

my list would have been completely different based on my opinions but I do believe these to be the most relevant Hip-Hop albums ever released.

You would be an idiot to think otherwise

You didn't even share an opinion you mong. You said

>EDM w/ Raps

Which really shows you're intelligence either way.

So here is you're (You), Faggot

*FTFY

>straight outta compton
pretty good for the time, but has aged horribly

>low end theory
absolutely incredible album

>36 chambers
important in that it was the birth of wu but by no means the best that any of the members have done

>illmatic
pretty revolutionary tbf

>madvilliany
really good collaboration but not the best doom album

>tms
kinda memey but still pretty good

>mbdtf
one of the best hip hop albums of the 21st century

>gkmc/tpab
both great albums but i dont see why kendrick gets 2 albums on the list given all the people that didnt

>AE
pretty sick byt not danny browns best

all in all not a bad list but by no means the top 10 of all time

It is EDM with rapping now.

>no turntablism/DJs
>no breakbeats
>minimal sampling
>calling it ''hip hop''

>I do believe these to be the most relevant Hip-Hop albums ever released.

this has got to be a troll. has can an album that was released yesterday be one of the most relevant albums ever?
also no biggie? no pac? no jay? no pe? surely theyre all pretty relevant?

you believe an album that came out no less than 24 hours ago is one of the 10 most relevant hip hop albums ever released? i think you are the idiot friend, and that's not even starting on 2 kendrick lamar albums being included

Replace Kanye and those two Kendrick albums with deltron, liquid swords, and 3 n the mornin part one

>Kid Koala
My nigga, he's got some of the most incredible scratching I've ever heard

>music can't evolve beyond its initial constraints and still fall within the same genre

mm you're right, just keep on subdividing those labels

>I don't know what EDM is
>I'm an old fuck

but anthony gave it a 10!

which one is objectively the best MF DOOM album?

I agree with this, except the MBDTF and Kendrick commentary.

36 chambers definetely wasn't the best Wu-related release.
I also think Doom has better stuff. Mm..Food and Born To Die were superior imo.
Also. TMS is only memey because Cred Forums's unhealthy Fantano obsession

You're right, its evolved into EDM looped beats with rapping.

>True GOAT rapper

pretty accurate but needs some adjusting.

>Straight outta Compton
Certainly influential for the time, but lacks the energy of other west coast rap albums of that time. basically what said, it just hasn't aged all that well.

>Illmatic
2bh, I've never seen the mass appeal of this album. Again, certainly important for the culture and the music scene, but sonically there are way better albums. You're lacking pretty severely on southern rap, so i'd probably replace it with an Outkast album--probably aquemini.

>GKMC
Fantastic album, but TPAB really surpassed it for me, and including two of the same artist on one of these charts is kinda cheap.

>Atrocity Exhibition
Not yet desu, but just give it time. It's already basically Cred Forums-core, but give it a little while, I could see it being a modern day classic.

Literally only 3-4 songs on Straight Outta Compton can be considered GOAT. Its an important album, not a great one

Name 3 Tupac Albums
Name 3 B.I.G Albums

Better yet, name 12 songs from them combined!

They are only relevant the the gangsta image in hip-hop. As lyricists they are average-above average

Literally this is what trap was to our generation, but then again you probably the type of nigga who would think Waka Flocka is some truly innovative shit

>giving a serious response

here u go lads the patrician version

id replace gkmc with aquemini or atliens

>The Money Store
Barely even hip-hop

>Atrocity Exhibition
give it time

>Straight Outta Compton
good but a relic, only half of it is any good anyway

>2 Kendrick albums
wtf

this site suks

In my opinion, it's impossible to make a fair top 10 list. Top 20 maybe.

I agree with this for the most part.
I included GKMC because regardless of TPaB being superior, GKMC was already had top 10 status before TPaB came along. And they are such different albums that I felt it was totally justified to put in both.

Each are perfect for the concept they are trying to convey

>name 3 Tupac albums
me against the world, all eyez on me, 2pacalypse now
>name 3 B.I.G. albums
ready to die, life after death, born again
>name 12 songs from them combined
if i die tonight, hit em up, old school, hail mary, 2 of americas most wanted, ghetto gospel, big papa, juicy, suicidal thoughts, things done changed, machine gun funk, me & my bitch

...well that was pointless...

i agree that they're both overrated but surely the number of people theyve directly influenced makes them relevant if nothing else?

and for the record Waka Flocka is trash

>lil ugly mane
>patrician
one day you will grow up and realize that man was nothing but a joke who conned thousands of sheltered teens into buying his parody raps

I'm not a Nas fan but other than that it's good.

QUICK POST YOUR TOP 50 HIP HOP ALBUMS TO PROVE YOU ARE PATRICIAN

"No."

you can get rid of the bottom 5 right now

is canibus at the end for comedic relief after suffering through such a cookie cutter chart?

get rid of mos, waka, and danny
also
>no atcq
wtf user

pretty much everything on here

>K&D
>Emancipator
>hip hop

''no''

Sorry for wasting you're time w/ the Biggie/Pac shit. It was kinda pointless...That being said I feel like they both are relevant of course, but only normies would think that either would have any GOAT albums.

Probably not the best analogy but I think they will be remembered as "The Rolling Stones or Led Zeppelin of Hip-Hop"

Lemme explain why:

>Not true innovators of genres
>Radio Play/popular to youth culture
>Get all the credit for their genre's "best"
>Etc.

>NWA is overrated
>Midnight Marauders is slightly more entertaining
>36 is great (LS is close second)
>Illmatic still bangs today
>Great album but they make better stuff seperate (Shades of Blue/Doomsday).
>It's fucking difficult to choose my favorite DG
>Appreciate him but still haven't dug deep into his earlier stuff
>Both Kendrick r god
>Still listening

Mmm food

>now
back then it was trip-hop with ghetto singers

happened to have made this a few days ago so why not.
>inb4 "it's not all hip hop"
niggas gotta listen to other shit too

NWA is good but overrated, there are a lot of weak songs on that album and as far as 80s political hip-hop goes, Public Enemy were FAR more important.

Low End Theory is meh.

36 Chambers should be replaced by Liquid Swords.

Illmatic I'm okay with.

Madvillainy should be replaced by MM.. FOOD.

TMS should be replaced with TPTB, because TPTB was far more innovative/original. TMS is just pop-industrial-rap which Dalek did better.

MBDTF I agree with.

GKMC is good but TPAB is much more important culturally and in terms of musical experimentation.

AE will probably go down as a classic, although it is definitely influenced by Yeezus and Death Grips so I'm not sure if it will end up being one of the most important albums.

BLONDE IS NOT HIP_HOP

weird ugk choice

>golden era

just threw this together now, so I'm probably missing shit and it's a bit messy but you get the idea.

ya I'm not usually a greatest hits kinda guy, but UGK's discography isn't the most consistent. That compilation is the best imo.

don't matter. that niggas album changed my life no bs

>Straight Outta Compton
aged fucking awfully, you only added it because you saw the movie
> The Low End Theory
6/10, Midnight Marauders is so much better it's not even fucking funny
> 36 Chambers
> Illmatic
agreed
> Madvillainy
Good but overrated as fuck, belongs in the top 20 list not the top 5
> TMS
not rap, also easily the worst DG album
> MBDTF
Agreed
> GKMC
Stop it
> TPAB
Agreed
> AE
Shut the fuck up

You embryos need to go back to r/hhh

THIS

some dood posted this a few days ago

fair enough, ive been meaning to make an east coast megachart

Ill throw it up here when i get round to it

Nice, m8

I might just do an essentials chart by year though.
87 to 97.
A lot less work

Yea, that sounds a lot easier.

Straight Outta Compton - Very important.

Low End Theory - Brought real good vibe music to hip-hop.

36 Chambers & Illmatic - Real life lessons in album form. These are albums that gave a very thorough look into New York and what it's like to be a black youth. The vices, low points of being stuck in the hood and cautious optimism that comes with trying to make something of your life.

Madvillainy - Flows. Production. Lyricism. A true hip-hop masterpiece. Songs are short, but leave a huge impact in terms of quality. Probably won't see something like this anytime soon.

The Money Store - Tore down traditional hip-hop norms. Proved that a group is more than just a music group/band, but a personality and a force.

My Beautiful Dark Twisted Fantasy - Showed that hip-hop is a true form of art and should be respected like other genres do.

good kid, m.A.A.d city - Brought almost a cinematic like quality to rap. In many ways (and I sometimes hate to admit it) it is honestly the Illmatic of the '10s in terms of its themes.

To Pimp a Butterfly - YOU HEAR THIS FUNKY ASS SHIT!? But in all seriousness, it brought the jazz and funk sound back to hip-hop and for that this album will have a special place in my heart. It's amazing to see an artist juggle race relations, survivor's guilt, and struggles with new found fame in an album and it manages to still be a cohesive project.

Atrocity Exhibition - Showed that rappers need to get on their shit, experiment with production, do not be afraid to take from other genres for inspiration on sound, improve their flows, actually take the time and put effort in your craft. Teaches these new rappers that yeah you can look weird and shit, but none of that means a fucking thing if the music you make is shit. You just end up not only looking stupid, but you also sound stupid.

ive always liked this for a hip hop flowchart, its not just east coast but ya know

>Low End Theory
>6/10

FUCKING YIKES

Yes, but I often find it misleading. Still a good flowchart, though

Tried to put different artists for the first two columns or my top 4 would all be Kanye. Bottom are the other albums favorites from the artist aboves + more.

Sorry retard I'm actually able to form conscious opinions of my own, have fun droning the masses and the internet your entire life

>7 Kanye Albums

Oh boy...I'll let the other user's chat with you first

>Normal talking over a funk/house beat

Lol.

The Money Store shouldn't be on there, it's not as influential as the rest. And neither should Atrocity Exhibition, it literally just fucking released.

I'll admit I should have probably not put Graduation and Pablo but I can't help that I'm a stan.
What's so bad about /r/hhh? Has better discussions about Hip Hop than Cred Forums by far.

Remove TBAP and Meme Grips and add Ready to Die, ATliens, and maybe Doggystyle, Carter 3, and The Chronic.

''no''

Why no slim shady lp?

You know absolutely nothing about music. Nice fanfic.

>What's so bad about /r/hhh

It's filled with white teenagers trying to act as black as possible.

>Cool Calm Pete

I completely forgot about that guy, wonder if its still any good

If this is considered the pinnacle of Hip Hop then I feel sorry for you guys
I REALLY feel REALLY sorry for you guys

Seriously get the fuck out. They have absolutely atrocious opinions on there. Your chart is garbage and you already can't think for yourself. don't make charts until you've heard more than 500 albums

Enlighten us or shut the fuck up.

Who the hell thought starting with BIG was a good idea? the album isn't that good or as accessible as some of the others on this list.

The album itself is still great, Babbletron's new album on the other hand is meh.

I love this album

Hahaha shut the fuck up dude, you don't know fucking shit about hip hop. You are so wrong with the descriptions of those albums that it's embarrassing.

Go back to /r/HHH or Fantano's channel.

It is one of the most mainstream 90's East Coast albums.

And I'm assuming you're the mastermind of what hip-hop is? What are your descriptions for these albums? Illmatic is New York project housing life in album form...something tells me you would know absolutely nothing about that, so yeah I'm REAL interested in hearing what you have to say regarding these albums.

hello my fellow redditor

Good taste.

you're fucking stupid my man

please log out

Big Kanye fan.

And I thoroughly enjoyed this year when it comes to Hip-Hop, Coloring Book has been one of my favorite releases in a while.

I'm not the biggest fan of Madvillain, N.W.A or Tribe but hey.

>Cred Forums tries to hip hop again
It's always the most obvious, bland 90's choices + current popular albums that are mainstream but not too much

> no cuban linx

end yourself

huh, your opinion on hhh is exactly the same as most of Cred Forums.
think for yourself maybe?

mostly right tbqh

this is the objectively correct chart though

what would be on your chart then?

>9 albums
>7 artists
>not knowing how a chart works

This is the only good chart in this thread I swear.
You into current stuff?

leave

Swap out College Dropout with Late Registration and I'd agree.

Dalek never made anything CLOSE to TMS, in terms of style and catchiness. Why would you even compare DG to Dalek?

>only good list
>all backpacker shit
kill yourself

>he thinks backpack rap is automatically bad

log off please friend

Key word is "all" friend. Now fuck off back to your zulu nation circlejerk.

I'm not making a chart because I don't think i'm knowledgeable enough to tell people what the pinnacles of hip hop are. What I can say is that, first of all, you can't summarize hip hop in 10 albums. If you want to make a chart make it longer, avoid albums that are mostly remembered for their influence (like that N.W.A one - if it's a 'best of' and not an 'essential' chart), include a lot more from the golden age and the 90's, including albums that are less obvious but none the less incredible, at the very least you should have Dr.Octagon, Uncle Sam's Curse, Safe And Sound, Cyphress Hill, Black Star, SSLP, Black Moon, and that's just older stuff. The mid 00's underground scene had incredible peaks: Labor Days, The Cold Vain, Deltron, A Piece of Strange - all those are way more significant than MBDTF or GKMC for example.

>literally jazz hop an gangsta rap with a couple 80's classics thrown in
>backpacker shit
user...

add clipping's first album and the cold vein and that's actually pretty fucking great

>almost nobody listing Bizarre Ride II the Pharcyde

i knew you guys were all shit taste boys

because its a shit album

the only chart you'll ever need

>mm food>madvillain

nigga get the fuck outta here

>No Hell Hath No Fury
>Barely any SSLP or MMLP
>No We Can't Be Stopped

this is the only one you need

This thread proves YET AGAIN that Cred Forums knows nothing about hip hop.

only good album posted

Finally, somebody who isn't fucking retarded.

>The Cold Vain
I want to like Low End Theory but it feels so empty

Why does nobody ever post redman?

I don't really listen to old shit, hate me please!

He's really talented. Muddy Waters is my favorite.

Replace GKMC with XXX. If there's any hip hop artist from this decade with two all time great albums, it's Danny.

replace the low end theory with midnight marauders, madvillainy with operation doomsday because madvillainy is trash, and gkmc with doggystyle

this is honestly a pretty shit flowchart
it starts in absolutely terrible places and its overall just pretty misleading and unorganized

your taste is ok, but this is still pretty noob taste
just keep discovering new hiphop

>mm food>madvillainy

Finally someones admitting it