My friend unironically said this today. What does /mu have to say

My friend unironically said this today. What does /mu have to say.

It's true. Technique is objective, but music as art is subjective.

this is why I don't have friends

just because your taste is subjective doesnt mean its not shit

he was right until he said
>entirely

there's objectively more innovative/stylistically unique things which satisfy the same emotional responses, therefore you should always listen to those

its a she

why cause you don't have the ability to make any

Taste in music is subjective, but the quality of music is objective.

For example, let's compare Justin Bieber to Miles Davis. Yes, I know Justin Bieber is an easy target, but I need to keep it as broad as possible so even the biggest of plebs can understand. Now, Justin Bieber is a corporately manufactured artist used to sell image to teenage girls. His music lacks substance and aesthetic, and he is based more on selling image than anything. The only time you hear people talk about Justin Bieber is when they are talking about his haircut or girlfriend. Never his new single or album and the direction he is taking as an artist. Miles Davis, on the other hand, actually put effort into making music, thus giving it substance and aesthetic. Few people talk about Miles Davis' image, and discussion of him is always about what album you like best, if you prefer his "cool" work or his "electric" period work, which lineup of his band you like best, etc.

Now, let's further expand on this by talking about fans, and compare a 13 year old girl with virtually no knowledge of music to an adult man with an actual knowledge in and interest in music. Obviously, the 13 year old girl isn't going to like Miles Davis very much so she will like Justin Bieber better, whereas the adult man will (most likely) prefer Miles Davis. And given the situation, the adult man has a greater basis for judging the quality of music, even though Bieber's music does more for the 13 year old girl than Miles does. Simply: The man has good taste but the girl has bad taste, objectively. Even though the taste in music is subjective, that taste is objectively good taste or bad taste. Taste and perception doesn't change objective quality.

tl;dr saying "music is subjective" or using the word "opinion" as a sole argument to justify shitty taste in any given scenario is just another way of saying "i'm a fucking pleb and I have shit taste".

Terrible.

girls shouldn't discuss things like art, music, philosophy, science and other male thematics

>friend
>she

Nice subjective opinions man.

damn

>substance and aesthetic
Both subjective

No, no, no.

So you consider punk a extremaly shit genre?
The same genre that influenced today's music such as post-punk/indie, metal and others?

>Miles Davis, on the other hand, actually put effort into making music, thus giving it substance and aesthetic

lmfao

joke post?

If dubs OP has to send this to his friend

I'm gonna send it to her anyway.

Wow, this is full of mind projection and ad hominem. You managed to write a whole two paragraphs without making a single valid point. Congrats.

please deliver

Trips confirm 16 year old girls have no taste in media.

Why the girl who likes JB has bad taste and the man who likes miles davis has good taste?

What's the fucking difference? Both just want to enjoy music and lyrics about their lives.

UHM...

>listens to Miles Davis once

people would say taste in food is subjective too but while some people would say a well done rump is a perfectly good steak any chef is gonna tell you its trash and enjoy their medium rare eye fillet

tell them they are a worthless pleb

If music is subjective and is for enjoyment why you define people who like [band you don't like] faggots plebs etc.?

checkmate

Silly women, only men know things. Lol make me a sandwich am I right my bros?

Some music is technically and artistically more impressive than others. This is objective fact.

This does not make them "better" than other pieces of music. This is subjective opinion.

No. Why do you think we can talk about beauty philosophically but music?

Your TL;DR is something more like: someone who has knowledge of music and who has developed critical faculties has objectively better, more informed taste than someone who doesn't. Someone with good taste in music actually has the ability to articulate why they like or don't like a piece of music, using logical analysis and musical vocabulary.

The problem is that there's room for debate even among people who know a lot about music and are able to articulate their opinions rationally. I've heard smart people (often on here) shit on albums that the rest of the world accepts as great albums, and actually elaborate on why they don't like the albums in ways that are hard for me to deny even if I do like the album.

trips confrrm your mother's death

the lady is mad hahahaha

G!RL P0WER
beyoncé is right
i am single because i want
women are free
stop misandry
i hate all men

>"music is entirely subjective"
>typically only listens to the top 100 bands of whatever genre

you will understand that when you grow up and start to stop seeing taste in music as a hipster competition

>music
>subjective
Get a load of this retarded pleb

Prove without using your opinion, how a band can be better than other?

Hes not saying its a competition he's just saying they prove his point

Listen I'm not saying music isn't subjective I'm just saying people abuse the phrases "it's just subjective" and "it's just my opinion" to cover up the fact that they are retarded as fuck or have no idea what the fuck they're talking about

Just because music is "subjective" that doesn't give you a free pass to say retarded shit

It's a combination of both subjective and objective traits. The experience of listening causes an objective physical, neurological reaction that causes you to think "this shit is neato", but the observer's subjective experience influences how that physical reaction is accepted, interpreted.

Read some fuckin' Kant you neanderthals.

Agree.

There are some subjective things in art and music that makes different persons to have different feelings and tastes, but, of course, there is some technique that is objective.

>technique
It's like you entirely missed modernism and postmodernism.