this record isn't hip enough for me to listen too, sorry

L'VIA
2.0 ON PITCHFORK

WHOOOO DOOOO YOOOOU
TRUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUST???

my chemical nalgas

TWENTY FIVE WIVES IN THE LAKE TONIGHT

ITS BEEN THIRTEEN (13) SECONDS

SINCE YOU ALL LAST SAIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIID

AND EVERY NIGHT

IN EVEEERYYYY POOOOOOOORRE

WE'RE TREATING EACHOTHERRR JUST LIKE STRANGERS

BRICK BY BRICK THE NIGHT ECLIPSED PRICKED BY CUTICLE THORNS

SOMEONE FETCH A PRIEST

can someone explain the meaning of this album to a pleb like me?

Defrocking every breath
brah
brah brah brah...

AND ONE DAY YOU"LL REMEMBER!!!!!
Behind the Melting Cones..

You always had a family...
in the burial of your home...

Holy shit that line.

Give me a bit bruh, don't let anyone else link you shit about Cygnus being an HIV infected prostitute.

NO THERE'S NO LIGHT
NO THERE'S NO TIME
YOU AIN'T GOT NOTHING
YOUR LIFE WAS JUST A LIE

SINK YOUR TEETH INTO THE FLESH AT MIDNIGHT
NOT FOREVER MORE

at the drive-in is better

SHOCKLESS SHACKLES FREE YOUU

SAID IM, SAID IM, SAID IM

I almost agree but ATDR only has one and a half good albums as opposed to the the three or four good MV albums

Okay, I've finally kinda figured out and I'll say it right now, it does help a bit to spend some time with the lyrics and album art to try to figure it out yourself.
First off, if you haven't already, listen to the removed title track: youtu.be/ZgxhTHtOd8U?t=4m12s
It was supposed to go before Cygnus, but was removed for time constraints and it was basically the introduction to the story, and starts with a lot of stuff that is only referenced passingly in the later tracks, such as the death of Cygnus's mother, which fuels his actions.

To start, I still can't give you the full story of this thing. The lyrics about what is going on are shredded, chopped, told through drug addled metaphor/imagery, told in spanish, between the lines, if not told through sound bits of the album. A lot of it is going to be up to your interpretation, but I can give you what I do know. There IS a story. There ARE characters. There ARE things that definitely happen. Even if not all of the lyrics or bits directly contribute to the story or are totally integral, you never know.

My interpretation of it is directly based off the video of this psuedo cringey guy: youtube.com/watch?v=u4TbzTBUkN8 who has probably listened to this thing a thousand times more than I ever have. Him actually talking about it starts at 7:15, but you may need to start watching at 3:14 to get a more in depth view. This may help understand things.

From what I undestand, Cyngus Vismund Cyngus is a drug dealer, gangster and all around bad guy who is out for revenge given that his mother had been brutally murdered by a group of people. He's out for blood. A lot of the story is him looking for people he may know be related to the murder or committed it. The Widow describes him directly. Ll'via supposedly witnessed the murder of his mother, hence why he is hunting her down.

Miranda is also another character but I have never figured (1/2)
ATDI never had an album this good though.

>Cyngus Vismund Cyngus
ok but his name is just Vismund Cygnus
the title of the track is basically "Bond...James Bond"

out exactly where she fits in beyond being Ll'via's mother and possibly the mother of Frances, Cygnus's biological mother.
What I DO know is that Cassandra Geminis is two things. Sex with a prostitute, a lot of murder/revenge and a revelation that cripples Cygnus. We are talking brutal fucking murders, possibly icepicks into skulls, basically 70's exploitation stuff and further. Then, Cygnus realizes almost at the end that he never really did have an issue with his biological mother, that most of this had been a drug induced hallucination and he just ended up killing a lot of his friends and family. Hence the "you always had a family..." Then he commits suicide because of how bad he fucked up.
There's a lot more details but that is the gyst of it. I find new details basically every time I listen to it. A lot of the different effects, and segments tell you different things about the story. i.e. the Puerto rican soundscape with the coquis tells you the story takes place in Puerto Rico.

"All my life,I've been
Sowing the wounds
But the seeds sprout
A lachrymal cloud" is literally just "jesus christ my life really is that fucking bad that brings me nothing but sadness". Hence why the album "begins" and ends with it.

True, my grasp isn't perfect and I save the album for every time I end up listening to it again.

CARTWHEEL OF SCRATCHES

never heard this but seen it around

should i check it out?

Only if you're ready to become one of the others, oh, oh, oh

If you can handle a little self indulgence, and want something really cool, yeah. You'll know withing two minutes of the first track whether or not you are onboard from the start.

One thing I do like about this album is that it's not prog in the same way Tame Impala is psych (just an example). I love Tame Impala but they are more of a revivalist band (or at least were) and they always looked back in the past for ideas. You'd think that if there was a prog album made post 1990 it would be totally copying old sounds and styles, but that isn't the case. The Mars Volta never gets called poor mans Yes or King Crimson, that's because they're a forward thinking prog band that really has their own sound that might be "influenced" by those bands, but they don't reach back and recreate those bands. They're their own true, authentic, modern prog band.

YOU CAN'T IGNORE THE SIGNIFICANCE OF THESE CHANGES

BUT YOU CAN'T TREAT IT LIGHTLY AND YOU'LL HAVE TO FACE THE CONSEQUENCES

ALL MY WORST FEARS ARE GROUNDED

YOU'LL HAVE TO MAKE THE CHOICE BETWEEN THE PAW PAW NEGRO BLOWTORCH AND MEEEEEEEE

BY THIS TIME I GOT TO LOOKING FOR A KIND OF SUBSTITUTE

I CAN'T TELL YOU WHAT I FOUND, EXCEPT THAT IT RHYMES WITH DISSOLUTE

BUT MY BABY'S SO LAZY SHE IS ALMOST UNABLE AND IT'S DRIVING ME CRAZY

AND HER LOVING'S JUST A FABLE THAT WE TRY WITH PASSION TO RECALL

SEND FOR AN AMBULANCE OR AN ACCIDENT INVESTIGATOR

HE'S BREATHING LIKE A FURNACE SO I'LL SEE YOU LATER ALLIGATOR

Come back... We almost finished...

HE'LL SET THE SHEETS ON FIRE
QUITE A BURNING LOVER

HE'LL BARBEQUE YOUR KITTEN HE IS JUST ANOTHER LEARNER LOVER

NOW YOU'LL HAVE TO MAKE THE CHOICE BETWEEN THE PAW PAW NEGRO BLOWTORCH AND MEEEEEEEE

MUSIC HITS ME SO HARD

>p4k being literally retarded

What else is new?

MAKES ME SAY OH MY LORD

Also fuck you for beating me to it