Is Spotify any good?

is Spotify any good?

Just got free premium with my new phone plan. I'm used to torrenting my music so I don't know if it's worth giving it a shot. Never tried it before.

it's incredibly ridiculously convenient, and streams at really high quality.

they're kinda shitty to the artists on there, but i mean i'm a shitty person and i value convenience over morally correct any day.

>they're kinda shitty to the artists on there, but i mean i'm a shitty person and i value convenience over morally correct any day.

Why don't you pirate music then?

spotify is easily 10x more convenient. i don't have to go find a torrent, download it, wait for it to finish downloading, and then put it on my phone.

i literally just look up an artist, and hit play.

i guess i could have also said that at least spotify gives the artist SOME money, but honestly i don't care about that too much. most artists don't make much money from record sales anyways, it's all from live shows

It's worth it for me. I'm hardly ever home, so having a library to stream from is really convenient. $5 with the college student discount is ridiculously worth it. Anything else I want to listen to that isn't in the library I can just pirate or buy from Bandcamp and put on my phone without worrying about storage space since I mostly use the streaming.

Yeah but can't you only listen to Spotify online? Also pirating is literally free.

No with a premîum account you can download music to play offline

No shit? Well I don't blame you for using it in that case. I would still rather not spend the money, though.

free =/= convenient.

i'm privileged enough to have some disposable income, so i choose convenience over fiscally responsible.

it's good if you only like pedestrian shit. i stopped using it because 5/10 times they didn't have what i was trying to listen to

Is just 10€ and if you are in college like me is very convenient, since it is pc+phone

its good, as streaming services go

That just means you blow a lot of dick

Spotify is quite good for what it is, but I only use it to rip stuff I can't find anywhere else. It's incredibly inconvenient but I prefer to have my music on my hard-drive, DRM free.

it's pretty good desu, i had it 2 years ago when its library was really limited, now its so much better

I use it for bands i don't feel like downloading their discography, so if i feel like listening to like let's say Bon Jovi i just go to spotify to listen to 2 or 3 songs and then not again for a while.

Spotify is excellent. It's cheap for premium, and has a great catalogue of music. For example you can find the entire Folkways, Ocora and INEDIT catalogues on there, which you'll be hard pressed to find downloads for. I personally prefer downloading music, but I make a lot of playlists on Spotify for when I hang out with friends. I also use it to listen to shit I don't really care about, like the new Danny Brown

It's pretty good OP.

That being said, trying to play local files on your phone through it is a complete bitch though

Premium is fine, you can try out a new album in seconds instead of downloading it, tagging it etc.

And since you're coming from torrents you don't pay for music anyway, so it doesn't really matter how little they pay artists.

Some artists aren't on there, but by the same token there are some albums on there that are difficult to find a torrent for.

Give me five examples excluding King Crimson and Tool

Question. if you go premium do the songs get downloaded permanently even if your subscription expires?

No, offline mode is disabled without premium.

tzadik
fax +49-69/450464
that said i fucking love spotify. it's really made my taste 20 times better than pre spotify days.

>Some artists aren't on there, but by the same token there are some albums on there that are difficult to find a torrent for.
If you're a fag, I guess. LOL

woo you swept that nigga up

You know there is nearly infinitely more music than what gets pushed by media outlets like pitchfork, right?

Shouldn't be hard to name five albums then

Been using if for years, have made countless playlists.

It differentiates itself from apple music when you realize it's supposed to be a streaming/social media hybrid. More friends you have on the app, the better. Making collaborative playlists is also tons of fun.

it's ok but lacks a ton of stuff, it also tags shit in retarded ways so if you use last.fm your scrobbles will be weird
all in all it's good value if you are going to use it for your phone but it's better to torrent if you have a computer

>fax +49-69/450464
this so much
>tfw only dark side of the moog is on spotify
>no inoue, solitaire, modula green or 2350 broadway
also no gas, andy scott or klf

Not him but it's hard because I'd have to go and actually check if by chance spotify doesn't happen to actually have those. They don't have death grips tho

Good to have when I'm at school because my music collection doesn't fit on my laptop (have it on an external HDD)

Also a better alternative to something like youtube if I want to check something out quick without buying or downloading it.

Death Grips is on there. Exmilitary isn't because it's a mixtape released independently.

I'm just making the point that the missing albums obviously aren't that significant. If someone has been turned off from Spotify by the lack of content it shouldn't be hard to name the specific missing things that turned them off. The fact you'd have to check proves there's a good chance they'll have what you're looking for in most situations

The bad thing is that it's not available worldwide.

why don't you use the best of both worlds?
piracy + spotify.
Use the cracked Spotify app for android.
It has all the premium features.

This. Pay £5 a month and you have access to more albums than you could listen to in a lifetime. Even if you only use it sparingly or to try out new albums before buying/downloading, that's incredible bang for buck.

ooHHHHHHH fuKKK

not everyone is living in poverty my man

you are right.

>obviously aren't that significant
xD - not up to you to say

>in most situations
What about people who are way more into music than me? I listen to mainstream garbage and even I can't find everything on Spotify... so I'd have to get them elsewhere. So why even bother with spotify when I can have literally everything I need outside of it. Only use I see for it is when I want to check out an album quickly...so I can decide if I want to download it. Thank god for Spotify I guess lyl

>So why even bother with spotify when I can have literally everything I need outside of it.
Because you can get the things you can find on spotify much quicker there than anywhere else

Pro tip: you don't have to exclusively use or not use it, you can mix and match

I'm a fan of Premium solely because I have a long commute and generally travel a lot, so it makes sense

that said, it does not have everything

damn

So literally what I just said...
I don't like to mix and match. I guess this is where we disagree.

Sound quality is another thing entirely

It's 100% worth it.

>I don't like to mix and match. I guess this is where we disagree.
You having autism isn't really a disagreement

>Sound quality is another thing entirely
What equipment do you use that makes 320kbps .ogg files sound bad?

Its alright. But i have some trouble with it as for example Death Grips Govern Plates and Exmill isn't on there.

No Gas is pretty upsetting.

>What equipment do you use that makes 320kbps .ogg files sound bad?
lmao, the free version of spotify doesn't have this

>You having autism isn't really a disagreement
Epic, bro!! Sick burn!!

either you can afford premium or you can't afford equipment that would make the free version sound bad lol

not really doe
>lol