hylidae.bandcamp.com/
brainstems.bandcamp.com/
pc-pdx.com/bands/
youtube.com/watch?v=ZFnpFLm-8yg
notdiychi.com/
grandkidsmusic.bandcamp.com/album/timeshare
twitter.com/AnonBabble

I dont like going outside

Personally music is my number one interest, I'm assuming the same of most people who post on this board, why wouldn't you want to experience music in it's most raw and unfiltered form?

I'm going to go ahead and guess it's because he doesn't like going outside

I don't want to.

All the local bands in my town are either buttmetal or wannabe-Mumford and Sons stuff.

I dont want to have to talk to plebs

I just did

I doubt that's true. You've probably only scratched the surface.

it's shit
and i'm part of it

Who did you see? How was the show?

How was that?

How are you part of it? Do you just attend shows? Or are you in a band? Do you book shows? Do you live in a show house?

Why don't you actively try to make it better?

There are occasionally punk shows in my town but they only happen once or twice a year and they're always featuring bands from other towns.

It's all metalcore or Dadrock cover bands.

I don't have any friends to go to bar shows with. Since I don't have any friends, I don't get invited to house shows.

There's only two towns in my state that could fill a whole bill with only bands from their respective town, neither are major cities. It's okay if a band is from a couple towns away, that's still your scene. As far as I'm concerned any shows within a 45 minute radius is local.

I am a bum and am too poor to give people money.

I am not a social person, user.

You don't have to get invited to house shows to go to house shows.

It's probably not.

Yeah, sure man. And you can still be straight edge if you fuck, too.

I play and go to quit a few shows Famicom.

I don't know where any house shows are. I don't hear about them because I don't have any friends in the local scene. I don't have any friends, period.

There is so such thing as a scene

A friend of mine got punched in the face by a straight edge kid for telling him he wasn't straight edge because he sleeps around.

>It's probably not.

No, it is. I live in the most boring part of Connecticut. The only thing I forgot are the country and blues groups made up of middle aged people.

Straight edge people can fuck off. This life is shit enough without people who got a superiority complex because they're sober.

I've seen some cool shows at The Space in Hamden, and there's a couple spots in New Haven/West Haven

who is that semon demen

They're not even drug free. Their main drink is Coke (Real punk to support the Coca Cola corporation). They just get jacked up on caffeine like children and punch each other.

Isn't Hamden mostly emo or something? And last I heard, New Haven is the memerap capital of Connecticut.

meghan o'neil. currently of super unison, formerly of punch (op pic)

why don't you stop assuming you know everything asshat

It's pretty shit.

Subpar /bleep/ berghain wannabes loop-my-nokia3310-ringtone-and-add-a-808-kick-and-play-it-for-an-hour house
Leftist feminist anti something post punk bands
progressive djent and post black metal bands
Jazz scene is allright though, but mostly forgetable.

Maybe i'm just spoiled

what good bands are in st louis right now
i need to get out more

go to CBGB on south grand.

lel where are you from?

There isn't one. Maybe if I went up to GR or something.

the music mostly sucks

other audience members expect me to interact with them and get offended if i don't

grand rapids, ann arbor, kalamazoo all have decent scenes

I'm in Battle Creek which isn't too far from Kalamazoo. In all honestly I'd love to start a band, I just don't even fucking know where to start.

I do. I gig, I promote, I book, and I host.

It's fun.

ditkalamazoo.squarespace.com/shows

go to shows, make some friends.

so you never share your opinion with people one way or another. I'm sure your fun to talk to.

You just confirmed you don't do any of those things. Because none of them are fun.

I guess you're right, I just need to stop looking for excuses. I am going to a concert on Monday but it's for a relatively popular band so not really a good place to meet potential band mates. I am two friends who have expressed interest but they aren't as serious about it as me.

Phillys got a real good scene desu and i do support it

Same. It's the life pursuit as far as I'm concerned. I love creating community for myself and for others. Always confused as to why Cred Forums seems totally removed from DIY but I figure it probably has to do with introversion

some shit city in scandinavia

The feminist punk bands are the worst though. It's pretty much being slapped by tumblr and twitter feminist retoric put to the music made by a band of 14 year old refused fans for an half hour.

I think it mostly has to do with the sense of superiority going to this place bestows on a lot of people when it comes to talking about music.

Philly has a cool scene, I'm not too into any of the bands that have popped up the past couple of years, and the fact that there's always at least 2-4 DIY shows going on any day makes it suck to come through as a touring band.

Stop making excuses, go see The Reptilian in October or Bad History Month.

I do though.

Staghorn

Of course i do.

Where i am you pay $6 and watch 7 or 8 bands in a row.

I usually can't stand neither metalcore/deathcore/punk/screamo nor everything inbetween, but watching those things live and blowing some steam is pretty good

The Reptilian are soo good, surprised Cred Forums hasnt taken notice yet.

MI guy here, would you say it's a bad idea to limit myself to a role? Like, I can kinda play the guitar (I can play songs and rhythm, just not very technical shit, the most technical song I can play is the House of the Rising Sun) but I think I'd greatly prefer singing. Also, I know I'm just making excuses but I feel like I'd look dumb talking about inspirations as a lot of the bands I like are pretty mainstream.

keep learning, play with other people, don't worry about technicality, worry about what you want to achieve in playing music.

I don't know where the scene is at.

You're right. I need to get some sleep before work but I definitely want to start actively working towards forming a band. At least then maybe I'll feel like I'm progressing in life.

On this i would say that you don't even need to start a band per say. Playing solo is a great way to dip your toes into the gig life and meet others and hopefully expand. Further, as a booker, I know that solo acts are pretty sought after to open up a gig, because nobody honestly wants to watch four full bands at one gig. Anyway, sleep tight!

Kind of. The thing I realize about Denver is that there are tons of bands, Its just that 95% of the Garage Rock/Psych/Emo/Math Rock/Post-Punk bands still derive their sound from other bands and their existing scenes. There is only small handful of bands with a unique and/or refreshing sound.

There is no scene where I live.

Ayyy I play shows in Stl all the time. Check out: staghorn, ankou (formerly known as Laika), LifeWithout, family medicine, blight future, scribble, jr. Clooney, anodes, francis, and dodecad. You can also check out the shitshow that is my band, Handsaw.

My band is playing at Foam this Sunday with Ankou and dodecad in support of Closet Witch (Iowa math/grindcore).

I fucking love Closet Witch, so surprised to see them mentioned here of all places. Also I'm in love with Mollie (their front woman) and I would run away with her tonight if she asked me to.

I just did. Check out my homie Elujay. He's a rapper from Oakland and has been written about by various music blogs.

soundcloud.com/elujayimprl

closet witch is so good. their split with euth is so good, euth is really good too.

i do.

This will be our 3rd show with closet witch this year. I caught euth in Stl earlier this year when they played with Ankou. They've got a split together coming out soon as well.

Because its all current year genderpunk

That split is def in my top 10 for this year :)

funny i drove past there yesterday on the way to rulers and was wondering what it was

dive bar that has shows

The straight edge people I know drink root beer and are chill with weed smokers at least

Starting to

Went to my first show on Friday (Vancouver)

botafogocore is trash

hell is p cool

I literally can't think of anyone I hang out with who's actually straightedge, or at least not permanently sober. I encounter them among my peers about as often as virgins who aren't autistic, or significantly, physically handicapped people. It's not that I have a problem with the concept of someone living their life that way, it's just so distant from what I would consider a normal life experience that I'd probably have trouble relating to them in terms of music.

confirmed for doesnt participate in their local scene.
i know plenty of straight edge people who are good people with good jobs and good relationships, nothing not normal about not partaking in substances.

idk tho, I don't just mean people who aren't into speed and coke and pills or whatever, I'm talking no drinking or cigarettes either, which really makes it hard to find them in my town. And I am involved in the local scene here, it's just the whole "folk singers who say fuck" and generic punk band scene that I don't do

It sucks

Man I wish i lived in vancouver. San Diego is all right and all but the music scene is absolute trash. There is essentially nothing to go to if you aren't 21. everything is sucked up by LA understandably

Yeah it's pretty alright. Rain will start any day now though, won't end until May

we get rain once a month at best

Because i've been a part of it for 10+ years, in which time I have also written and produced 5 of my own albums, to which i owe my local scene nothing. It is socially based, and the popular bands here are shit, and not friendly.

I don't know how

Is there anything interesting going on in the DFW area? I don't get out much but it could be fun.

I just don't like electronic music enough to get worked up about it, and that's the only thing my city produces with any regularity

DIY is certainly a popularity contest a lot of the time. Can be quite cliquey too. That's what turns me off more than anything. But I don't think hard work goes unacknowledged entirely.

I don't even think there's one in the entirity of snohomish county lmao

I gig but don't really go to other local bands' shows. Lucky some of my band members are much more personable. It's one of the main reasons we keep the girl in the band.

What city?

I assume you're taking about punk/hardcore/garage rock because of your pic and because that's usually what people mean when they say "local scene".

The reason I don't support it is because that kind of music is plebeian shit.

because it's all beach bro white guy reggae

Just not interested in fucking 16 year old girls at 22 like so many of the dudes that make up the scene so I'm outtie

Because all people who belong to any group are demons.

I can't go to shows when I don't know that there's a show to go to.

>the feel when the local hole in the wall venue closed recently
>the feel when you were going to ask about opening for something

I can't wait to move back to the twin cities. Fargo's cool but it just doesn't compete.

because there is none that i am aware of

epic

My city's music scene is all shitty rappers (who still do that chipmunk voice in their songs) and shitty metal bands.

this

nobody here knows how to advertise at all

maybe i'd go to your shitty punk show if i didn't have to know a guy who knows a guy who knows the venue owner just to find out when it is

My local scene is manly farms, cows, old people and one church, not many raw blackened noise punk bands around here

because I'm not part of it yet

when I learn the guitar I will

No I don't "support my fucking scene". I have been to local concerts, and I was avoided, even mocked once, for wearing a band shirt. Every time I go to these concerts, I am disregarded and ignored, even though I may go and say hi to a group of people, it will be like I am not even there. It's not like I'm some fatass who's undeserving of having people look at him, people are just selfish piece of shit tribalistic reptile brain primates, so there's not expecting much if you have become self conscious of the basic dichotomy; suffer from acute consciousness you might say.

So no, I don't support my fucking scene, and fuck all these idiots who say that someone should. My "scene", is just a bunch of idiots who don't give a fuck about music, and they will reject and mock you, and they all deserve death. Fuck you.

I don't have a local scene

triggered

>90% Nickelback cover bands
>8% wannabe rappers
>2% homeless people with guitar pedals and contact mics
I only support the homeless guys because they're homeless.

My local music "scene" is a yearly festival of bands that attend the local Uni and i have gone to it five years in a row. There is this killer drone band that play every year, great stuff

holy shit that's edgy dude

I just don't care about DJ's that much. I'm pretty much the only one left here that still wants to see a guitar band.

Only if you don't believe the sign of the reptile master.

This plus no one likes the style of music I'm in to

i fucked one of the girls that lives at foam but now she's super feminist

meh they're alright
they cling way too hard to punk though
there's some good post rock/sludge/psych/prog/noise but it's far and few between

I only went to house shows when I was in college. Are there really house shows for older people? Most of the shows I went to were always in shitty houses rented out by punk kids. I moved to a metro area now and I have a lot of friends that play music and I've never heard of house shows here. I guess there are enough bars and music clubs here.

I live in raleigh. Many of my friends play stuff from punk to jazz to rock. Since it's the south, there are plenty of country and classic rock type bands, but I avoid the places they play at anyways. I know the EDM scene is big here too but same thing, I avoid. There are tons of music clubs/bars here so there's at least one show every weekend that's worth going to. So yes op, I do support and always have.

Because the "local scene" here is highschool boys with acoustic guitars covering shitty top 40 pop songs, all with the same exactly mediocre voice.

my local music scene's only claim to fame is birthing a bunch of shitty folk punk groups, and as a result, almost every local band i've seen has been a shitty folk punk group

>tfw living in the metropolitan NY area and a shitload of DIY bands get national coverage because of geography

315 reporting in. where my beatdown bros at

I do.
These are all local artists I've bought records from:
youtube.com/watch?v=DKjLuqeUzCw
youtube.com/watch?v=Cm-1i5XxJDg
youtube.com/watch?v=qhPmwQaDtBU
youtube.com/watch?v=3ez368YF-tA
youtube.com/watch?v=u-vrE6k_Z2Y

And many, many more

There is no scene, I can't even find shows myself.

Hamden and New Haven are on the good side of CT.

No scene to be found besides cover bands and bad country acts.
Thinking of moving to Athens.

Which Athens?
Georgia, Ohio or Greece?

Georgia
Carrollton is shit

Carrolltonbro checking in here. You're wrong, it has a decent scene. Lots of pysch rock and chill wave bands.

the minnesotan local music scene is literally 90% a bunch of talentless fucktards playing really bad shoegaze or garage rock

What's bad about it specifically?

This. The closest thing we have is a thrash metal band that hasn't updated since 2013, and I've barely heard of them myself.

True. It's also impossible to get into the scene if you aren't already well connected.
You know of any good recent acts/venues? I've been out of the loop for a couple of years now and all my favorite older places have closed down.

So many questions

Because it sucks.

Not him but he's wrong.

I would tip you off to some venues but the fact you agree with him id embarrassing af.

Cred Forums is my music scene.

Well like I said I've been out of the scene for a good few years. I remember seeing a ton of suburban kids rip off burn fetish and frankie teardrop in basements southside before I moved out of the cities.

sounds like you just lack basic communication skills.

looks like he just googled basement show and took one of the pictures. there's plenty of shit going on in DIY that isn't just hardcore punk/garage rock shit.

Went through Athens, Georgia on tour once, it was a cool little city, from what I heard though there isn't much going on besides really tough guy hardcore and bar bands. There's some cool record stores and apparently every once in a while shows that aren't tough guy/hardcore shit happens.

Sounds like your problem. There is a big punk scene, a big folk-punk scene, a big metal scene, an indie rock scene and a hip-hop scene. All of that is flourishing together in one big city. If you don't understand that, you are a fucking idiot. Listen to KFAI's local show anytime.

pls link me some music then senpai

Basically this.

Even when I was playing shows and involved with the "scene" I thought it was lousy.

i do.

going to a local metal show on the 8th

... aw fuck. no i'm not. this thread made me check my schedule and i work

tfw seeing gadget at my local diy spot next month

I saw yr mom last night.

I would support it more but I'm a bit too old and square for most of the fans and other bands. They're all just out of Uni and tall and thin and I'm kind of squat but I support them and go see stuff when I can.

15-21 year old dudes that think they are in the ghetto and create mediocre-to-bad battle rap doesn't constitute a scene in my book.
Nothing besides rap goes on in Pireaus.

why dont YOU support my local scene?

orienteering.bandcamp.com/

>still tapping on telecasters
>year of our lord CURRENT YEAR

This as well as it being extremely generic.
Most of it pop punk and "alt rock"
The best thing that came out of here was an ariel pink wanna be and a garage psych band but they are both based out of different cities now

The whole state is pretty devoid of any good music t.bh. Not just Aroostook

Nothing that Golden Dawn can't fix

Because I don't give a shit about pop-punk and hill-billy wannabe "roots-punk"

There used to be a good real screamo scene by me but all the bands broke up in the past 2 years

Only fag bands play there.

nice

I host shows like once a month.

>Nouns played in my apartment

because i have better music n the internet

you just go to an echo chamber where you are rewarded for listening to others online about what music is good and what music is bad. you have no opinions of your own.

you are projecting too hard my friend, i bet you know my name and we're i come from, you have no opinion to me, because you are a simple hater/troll

Because I'm a talentless hack and there is no noise music scene in my town.

>why don't you support your local scene?
It's shit and mostly consist of bro country

i'm not projecting, and i'm not trolling. It's very typical of Cred Forumstants to have a superiority complex because they only go to the places on the internet that have the exact same taste and constantly reinforce that their taste is the 'proper' taste.

I do though

my band is big locally

I'm the best in it n I play no shows around here

Start your own industrial krunk-core band. All you're telling us is that you can easily BECOME the music scene in your area.

Considering foam is a coffee shop/bar and people don't actually live there (afaik) imma call bullshit.

STL is the seat of one of the best punk scenes in America right now

Lumpy & The Dumpers
Q
all the NWI bands like Coneheads and Liquids and shit
everything on Lumpy Records

Trying to book in Philly when you're touring from out of state and don't already have ~punk connections~ around the country is literally impossible

But I do...

Saw a pretty sweet southern sludge band and a neocrust band last weekend.

You could be the best local musician by bashing two potatoes together.

Lady Lamb is pretty good.

To add onto this, so are The Ghosts of Paul Revere.

you ever wondered if maybe youre the pleb?

Black Urn?

Anybody got the hookup on some good punk boards/forums in the Midwest? 515crew is basically dead and I haven't checked to see if Nebraskadiy was still up. Trying to set up some contacts out of state.

I'm in Western Ma and in my immediate area, it's mostly shitty soundcloud rappers and metalcore bands. But a little bit further out there's some pretty good stuff, particularly around Northampton which is full of hipsters lol. I've seen a few pretty good indie, punk, and avant garde artists.

Lying nigger.

Because anything decent in Calgary moves to fucking Montreal.

Seeing preoccupations on the weekend tho.

Where do yuo find good local music? I'm in Ashland Oregon and never leave the house. It's a college town for a school that's good for music so I'm sure there's something.

I use to. I was into locan scene from my country here no Chile. i used to get into the metal scene a lot, since i noticed how shit this whole thing can be somethimes. I've seen a lot of disgusting shit surrounding this. Not even fucking dickhard neonazis were the worst part on it.

Nothing that i want to remember, i just want to gotget all of this.

Vermont is haunted by the ghost of Phish and Jerry Garcia and I refuse to take part

Northampton has got a great scene. Hoping to play a show there this year.

I've been thinking about moving to Montreal. Every time I visit Montreal for a show I have a crazy fun time. It feels like everyone who lives in Montreal has a band.

because its not the 20th century anymore

supporting antifa-punk and german rap? no thanks

Flywheel in Easthampton occasionally has some interesting stuff

I saw Wishbone Zoe and The Leafies You Gave Me there a few months ago

i go out to shows in my town all the time, and usually donate about 5 dollars if i have it for touring bands.

there's actually a p good amount of bands Cred Forums's into from around here. Brave Little Abacaus/Milo/Sorority Noise

le hartford

Honest answer: I don't feel like getting invested in bands that sound great but just fizzle out. Also the unwarranted sense of self worth displayed by some of the scene celebrities is sickening

>scene celebrities
you sound mad that you aren't popular user

Such a qt, my city used to have a three day fest every year and punch played, every dude was in love my nigga, this enchantress of powerviolence ruled the heart of many a young Coreman

naw, manchester NH. BLA was from a few towns over, but I went to high school with milo (rory) and charlie/cam from sorority noise

Probably, but a lot of the time it's undeserved. I'm not the type who wants to be in the spot light but shit, yeah I get envious at times. It's just what is there to gain from being in a popular local band? Dudes act like they're hot shit and you know they aren't deep down inside.

my local scene is literally only white power bands

Because Richmond is fucking either black music or stoner music or entry level versions of any other kinds of music

richmond has a good screamo scene

I've been unemployed for two weeks and am pretty depressed. Should I go to a random bar tonight and listen to local shit?

anyone from mpls?

our scene is ok.

the electronic music here is a big circlejerk, it's like 50-100 people who all know each other and talk about gear. most of their music is subpar.

>It's just what is there to gain from being in a popular local band?
It's not just being in a band, but being a (usually) broke individual busting their ass, putting lots of time/money into making cool things happen for other people's enjoyment. I wouldn't use the word "celebrity" but I know plenty of guys who have paid their dues and I respect them.

yes, definitely

I have a question for peeps that help book shows in their scene and such.

Theres a punk and noise scene, and some electronic music going around my city, but I really want to help foster more underground electronic music (at least more gritty and dirty electronic music). How would you guys go about it? Im already booking shows here and there but theres only so many artists I can reach out to.

i do
mostly bluegrass and emo around here tho, not a lot of variety
went to a terrible punk show last weekend

This. New Haven is pretty good

To clarify, a lot of older guys don't really make it to all the shows or play much anymore, but have labels and distros, print shirts for bands, tape duplication equipment and so on. They don't make any money off it but still are more active in the scene than some of these younger guys who think their hot shit for playing the same bar twice a month.

Denver's scene is absolutely crazy right now. Absolutely crazy amount of good bands

>dude weed lmao reggae bands
>dadrock cover bands who talk like a walking youtube comment
>Arctic Monkeys wannabes
just not my kind of thing desu

what the fuck is a DIY band? Do it yourself as opposed to having someone else make music for you?

DIY as in booking your own shows, promoting yourself, etc. rather than having a manager, or a promoter, or an agent, or a record label work for you.

most successful local band for my area were The Mystery Jets.ever since then we've just had an onslaught of bands that sound a bit like the 1975.

indie rock 2016

That's true but you have seen those bands that start getting outside attention and band members start demanding entitlements (i.e. groupies, guaranteed, riders, etc) from the very scene that props them up, the hardcore scene is notorious for this kinda shit which why I sorta dropped out, it's disillusioning to have to kill your idols cause they only gave DIY lip service

That's true. The guys I do see do that the most are the new age hardcore djent kids because it's popular and gets heads through the door. I've been playing in bands for the better part of a decade and still don't ask for shit.

Anyone know anyone good around philly? Love heading to punk and reggae shows around here, but most of them are smaller touring bands. Looking to find something new.

I went to Pop Montreal this year. It was pretty good but I don't get why as a musician you'd want to be perpetually stuck as a small fish in a gigantic pond.

because i don't care about it

I have no idea about local shows and really aren't that interested in going to them. Plus I don't go out anywhere around here because I know I'll run into someone from high school and they'll just want to fight.

>they'll just want to fight
what

>he's still hung up on highschool drama

lmaooooo

Bruh you got some high school era beef, still? Squash that shit homie

because there is no scene in my area

it's garbage

t. orange county

get out of newport news, that city fucking sucks.

pc-pdx for oregon in general

im from st louis too
i'll hang out with one of you guys sometime i get so fucking bored

I just moved up to Kzoo for school and already the house shows have been decent. Much more varied than back home in Toledo. Ann Arbor has a great scene. The WMU student ghetoo ALWAYS has house shows. They're pretty varied too. Even some metal acts come from lansing, which has a great local metal scene.

540 checking in

Stockholm or Gothenburg? I hear Stockholm has a small avant garde scene that's supposed to be interesting

Fucking lol, I hope they fucking kick your ass

tfw I live in Delaware and it's all shit here so I go to other states

Music should be primarily internal.

saint louis has a thriving DIY scene. too many good bands to name. here's a few examples sounds.theconformists.com/album/divorce
littlebigbangs.bandcamp.com/album/star-power
hylidae.bandcamp.com/
brainstems.bandcamp.com/

because the modern punk rock scene sucks

the rest of the music around here is either country or "indie" trash. the closest hip hop or house venue is 2.5 hours away in atlanta.

Check out Dead Media on the 8th for cassette store day, it'll be a rager.

Give me more deets on the electronic scene, I know nothing about it but I wouldn't mind checking some cool stuff out.

I'm going to be moving back to the twin cities in a year or so. Any of you guys know if there's room for some experimental rock? Our drummer goes to IPR for school but I don't think that's enough of a connection to get us shows.

what the fuck is in westchester/new york suburbs, preferably electronic

I'm from Oshawa, Ontario.

The local scene is literally djent and sludge metal

i do, i try to but tapes when ever i can. wish there was more DIY spaces around here.

went to a really fun house show last saturday to see some local bands they both have new albums out and are getting signed, really chill guys very happy for and proud of them

Anyone interested in a list of some local Massachusetts artists?

Anyone else familiar with Tallahassee?

Not a great scene, but at least there is a scene, I've been to plenty of great shows here since high school. House shows at the Shark Tank were fun as fuck, anyone else been there?

How do you even start a band? I have an idea in mind but I'm an autist and have no idea how to find people or anything.

i heard phillys scene is amazing right now shouldn't be too hard to find stuff

i know hop along is from there

yo I wish I could go see Preoccupations but their ticks are $25+ and I'm broke as fuck.

you're like an hour from the actual city....just go there instead

What are some good bands in Chicago?

Also have this problem although I'm fine with not having a band right now
Try Craigslist? Post the music, the members you need, how often you want to practice, etc.

>three day fest every year
Was it in SLO or Sound and Fury?

alex g
sometimes girlpool
all of those kinda bands
most bands are moving there rn because its cheep
portland is getting too expensive for most

I don't have one, just bands from Syracuse play here sometimes. And any bands here are usually just dad-rock cover bands.

They were 20 even at Sloth Records when I got mine, try them

I don't know how to into my local scene. Im in Portland, Or so I know there is one.

pc-pdx.com/bands/

Thanks, I've been using flyers by my work to find local shows so this is great.

Because I'm a nihilist.

closest "scene" the virginia beach hardcore stuff, nothing remotely interesting around here, i make music so I guess im apart of the "local scene" but no one would come out to see what I play
check out poor english, have a feeling they're about to blow up

because Burger Records is cancer

Because it's all Punk and hip-hop here. (Shit genres btw, deal the fuck with it)

>shit genres btw, deal the fuck with it
dont cut yourself on the edge m80

Because i fucking hate toronto

If only the Handsome Woman were still around

they had some cool emo/punk shows, some of the members of TWIABP lived there

i was in high school at the perfect time for that shit lmao

location?

Same boat literally.

I do.
youtube.com/watch?v=ZFnpFLm-8yg

seconding flywheel. I've seen Grouper and the Music Tapes there. Pretty excellent.

You are right about Springfield though. I work with two other people. One is in a metalcore band, the other is a soundcloud rapper.

Is like, black metal-influenced experimental folk too much to ask?

Damn where can I find a patrician scene like this

What kind of music are you into? Or are you just looking for stuff up n coming in the area?

>He can't find something he likes in one of the biggest cities in North America

Maybe it's you.

My town's music scene is 40 year old women singing karaoke in bars.

toronto is in britain you fuckin re-tard

Toronto, the capital of the province of Ontario, is a major Canadian city along Lake Ontario’s northwestern shore. It's a dynamic metropolis with a core of soaring skyscrapers, all dwarfed by the iconic CN Tower. Toronto also has many green spaces, from the orderly oval of Queen’s Park to 400-acre High Park and its trails, sports facilities and zoo.

that was deep, user

My band played at the grimiest basement in CT on our tour, apparently they did heroin on the third floor. Called the Whitney House or something.

You in NC senpai

Fucking this, I'm in an actually killer band if I may say so, but all the fags around here just go crazy for some Modern Baseball or Front Bottoms cover from a shitty emo band

You know Cold Comfort, Live for What Lasts, Strayer, the utter trash that is Valleys, etc.?

Dude, Connecticut is one big metro area. Lol you people on the Northeast seaboard think a 45 minute drive to the next town over is like going to fucking Mordor. Plus you're within a couple hours of Boston, Providence, and NYC if there's something you really want to see in those cities.

the way you talk about music and people is very telling of why you know nothing about how great the WMA scene is

hearing damage is actually very serious

wish dunedin still had a good scene
everyone sounds the same now

Ever since I moved back I dont know anyone in my area and have no idea how to get back into the underground hardcore shit... Like the shows where I dont have to worry about some kid 8 years my junior suing me because I accidentally broke his nose

i go to diy shows in chicago every week or so
there's two sides of it really. there's the punk side and the rock side. mostly depends on the venue
good resource if you're trying to get into it notdiychi.com/
get on facebook and join the groups about chicago diy to get more shows or ask people for addresses

posting more fliers. Lala Lala and Spencer Radcliffe are really good

hardcore bands

i played my shitty folk music in a cafe once, does that count as contributing to my scene?

the handsome woman was such a cool house but it was literally in bumfuck nowhere. I went there a couple times.

Because it's the same at every lineup: metalcore, alt rock, that 17y/o who thinks she can sing and play the guitar at the same time, and the old folks (who aren't bad, they used to have a really good scene when they were young)
New Zealand IS completely void of talent.

It's understandable desu. Toronto is lame.

I'd totally go to shows but I work 20 days consecutive 12 hour shifts followed by 10 days of recuperating and repeat, so I don't do anything but shitpost and lay on my couch when I'm home.

u auckland?

Because the scene in South Wales fucking sucks

Because I live in rural Georgia and there is no scene here.

listen to this pham

grandkidsmusic.bandcamp.com/album/timeshare

Because I am home probably 3 weeks out of the year.
Also most of the hardcore kids go because they think it makes them cool, they like to hop from trend to trend.

If not them then all of the hardcore crews with 15 300+ lbs 29 year old dudes who like to get incredibly violent and put people in the hospital every show when I weigh 145 lbs

Thanks for the posters man, suburbs reporting in. I used to live in Logan Sq. As a kid and I loved the pop up garage rock and folk bands growing up, I saw Thee Oh Sees in 2011 by accident while hagnging around with my cousins. Currently I'm in a pop punk band since down in the suburbs that's all there is and middle class suburban rappers. I'm trying to add garage rock influence to the very generic pop punk scene here. I could just call it quits and move back to Logan but I really like how close knit this scene is and I feel like a pop punk band with garage rock hooks and classic Detroit punk additude could be something special down here. We're currently setting up for a house show on Oct. 16th for a buddy's bands EP release

Dude Georgia had an amazing scene in the early 2000s. Have you seen the movie "No Fun?" It chronicles the music scene going on due to the Black Lips, King Khan, Deerhunter, Mastodon, and more

I'm 26 and I can't say the music scene does it for me especially coming for Seattle, but theres a lot of other isth to enjoy.

Not to be a dick but I really don't fucking care

I'm sure if I moved to Atlanta there'd be a good scene, but currently I live a few hours away.

I was going to drive down for an Uncle Acid show (obviously not even close to local) earlier this month but didn't ever buy tickets

I've considered moving there or maybe Nashville after school.

I'm heading out to Nashville next week, I would've loved to go this week for Gonerfest but I fucked up planning. Tennessee is always a good place

How do I get into my scene?
I have music to show and to play but I have no idea how to have places pick me for playing

do i just have to go to the owner and ask if i can play or what

Well I've never been to Toronto, but I've been to many fun shows in small to medium sized cities with a population of a couple hundred thousand or less. Toronto is a megacity with millions of people, you sound so fucking pretentious if you think there's nothing worth seeing there.

This. Bump.

No "local scene" music is actually good

Because there is no local scene where I live. There's literally one band in my entire town and they sound like a bad ACDC ripoff.

any kraut here? whats good in cologne?

Maybe if you listen to their album at home by yourself with your headphones. A band doesn't have to be super innovative or popular for one to be able to have fun at their show. As long as they actually know how to play their instruments and have a half decent sound setup it's usually a great time for everybody.

I think alot of people on this board think all shows are like the one time they saw a huge band in an arena with shit sound quality and assigned seats a hundred yards from the stage. Get out of the house and go to small venues and see bands you've never heard of, it's such a different experience when you're within a foot of the stage jumping up and down and high fiving and making eye contact with the band as they play and drinking with them in the crowd before and after their set while other bands are up. I've had so much fun at house shows with 30 people packed into someone's living room on a cold night, the whole room hot and steamy from everyone dancing and jumping around and everyone's drinking beer and smoking blunts together.

Also to add to this, you don't have to strictly see local bands at shows like these. For example, I went to a house show here in Florida with a local band opening for two bands from Iowa and one band from Scotland who were all touring together in a van across the country. Plenty of great unknown bands are touring all the time, sleeping on peoples couches, it's classic rock and roll. Plus there's usualky a regional scene, there are plenty of Florida bands from all over the state that come though town every few months that I always look forward to seeing.

Everybody likes to talk shit about how lame everything about a scene is compared to 5, 10, or 20 years ago and sneer at anyone who claims to enjoy themselves at shows in the present day, and act like if there's a new band they've never heard of, then they're automatically shit because "pfft... these kiddies today don't know REAL music like the bands I saw in the 90's and the 00's" and because they aren't critically acclaimed on the indie blogs yet by people who actually go out and see new music for themselves instead of being told what's good by someone else.

just moved here fampai

Thanks user, I'll definitely be there.

My local scene's favorite genre is Celtic Punk, not really my thing...

there is no local scene here. it's just a bunch of cover bands. original groups can't get hired anywhere. such is life in a boring irrelevant mid sized city. there's pretty much nowhere to play anyway other than bars filled with 50 year olds. all the 20-30 year olds would rather listen to someone shuffling their ipod than live music.

ct is a commuter shit hole, you obviously don't live here

>go to bar shows
>talk to the other humans
>make friends
>go to house shows with new friends

the fact that you said bands can't get "hired" is again very telling of why you would not know about any DIY scene in your area

Iowa user here, who was the touring band? Might know them.

so to sum up this thread

"theres nothing good in x city"
"user check out these bands and these spots"
"honestly i just dont fucking care"

good job Cred Forums you proved that you aren't concerned with finding new music, just concerned with regurgitating whatever flavor of the month meme shit is shitposted here to oblivion.

If you've got a facebook account: groups/1589956497961970/

ITT: Dad Rockers and people who would sperg out if they saw someone drinking a PBR at a show.

>tfw you're in one of the biggest bands in your local scene

bruh

i saw closet witch in this tiny ass fucking basement once, felt like being locked in a tomb with the band playing. life changing show

the fact you think there is an underground scene in my area, a place ive lived my entire life, is very telling that you're just a dipshit

Unless you live in the fucking woods or in a desert, there is music happening where you are.

you really are fucking retarded

do you think every city is like seattle or something?

Do you really think music only happens in big cities?

Saw them in Ames a few times, good band.

ok you're right my area is a hotbed for music

you know this place much better than me, clearly

you keep moving the goalposts.
you said there is 'no underground scene'
i said 'music happens everywhere'
you said 'you are fucking retarded, do you think everywhere is fucking seattle'
i said 'do you think music only happens in major cities'

you're an idiot.

you have no clue where i live and you're trying to tell me i'm an idiot for knowing that there is nothing happening here musically at all

shut the fuck up?

Where do you live

seattle

Because it's either Status Quo dad's rocking out in pubs or "Post-Hardcore" 20 year olds screeching edgy shit at an audience of swamp-asses, with the occasional exception that sometimes the latter play Pop Punk.

Yeah, but * how * do I get into my scene?

I already make music and play but I have no idea what to do to get shows booked, etc.

do i just have to go to the owner and ask if i can play or what

start going to shows and introduce yourself to whoever put on the show, mention you play music, but don't ask to get on a show the first time you introduce yourself. go to some more gigs, introduce yourself to people who book shows, make connections via The Internet with them, when you see them announce a show with an artist/band you wanna play with, then you reach out, or if you see them looking for a last minute addition to a show reach out. By offering to hop onto last minute shows you end up helping a promoter out a lot, and they might be more inclined to throw a good show your way.
other option is to find a spot that lets outside promoters book, like a local DIY spot that doesn't have a central promoter, or a hall or something you can rent out, and book the show yourself.

where do you live