Why does Cred Forums hate and ignore 80 years of r&b, funk and soul?

Why does Cred Forums hate and ignore 80 years of r&b, funk and soul?

Other urls found in this thread:

phofunk.bandcamp.com/
youtube.com/watch?v=jqdlCBLSq94
youtube.com/watch?v=EdhoX1Xu6ZI
youtube.com/watch?v=ikCbvJ3NguU
youtube.com/watch?v=iSDCPKsSf2U
youtube.com/watch?v=wDUk9Lsy_yQ
youtube.com/watch?v=CzlzoeYA3Lg
youtube.com/watch?v=MMreSGr7_Zo
youtube.com/watch?v=oFbo8I2KkR8
soundcloud.com/andyb303/kiss-94fm-norman-jay-original-rare-groove-jbs-july-1988
youtube.com/watch?v=1bgR58DvLoU
youtube.com/watch?v=bJTs8I87qFc
twitter.com/SFWRedditVideos

its all very boring. Marvin Gaye was a very good singer, and Stevie Wonder wrote some nice sounds songs, but there's very little interesting music coming out of it

Ignorance: the comment

mu's core demographic is not exactly the target audience for these genres.

Becauzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz zzzzzzzzzzz zzzzz zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz...

but Cred Forums loves indie-rock, hows that work?

A year ago i would've raved about Voodoo and gone on and on about why it's my favorite album and how questlove's drumming is completely unlike anything out there. I still love it but it's been awhile since i've listened to it. What's Goin' On and Innervisions are great. Haven't heard Blond yet.

And Nick Drake, Elliott Smith, Leonard Cohen etc

Blonde is good. Nowhere near as organic or soulful as the other 3 albums here though. Very cold, but that's a lot of what Frank is going for here. Then again, there are some very warm comfy tracks. It's a phenomenal album.

funk > soul

who knows ? at least once every blue moon one thread will take off and get more than ten different posters, but most of the time it's just doomed from the beginning

white people have no soul or rhythm, so music that relies on those twl things goes over thwir heads

Elliott Smith is the greatest songwriter who ever lived

you should add that it's the same reason black people can't classical to make the meme complete

>english
>a good writing language

rofl

wat uppppppp my negro

i mean i know that's a joke and all but

>black people cant classical
>mozart was black

>muh teenage loser feels

And he is more boring than any soul ever.

sure kid, whatever you have to say to compensate your rightfull inferiority complex

Curtis by Curtis Mayfield was one of the most groundbreaking albums of all time.

Listen to the artist you're talking out before you talk about them and you may be able to construct an actually valid complaint.

I definitely enjoy those genres. Don't call me an extremist, but they're dead now. It's quite unfortunate, considering the fact that I enjoyed Blond a lot. It just doesn't fall into that category.

I wouldn't got that far, but I think there's quite a lot of truth to this.

I work at a small, but well-known record label and everyone there has extremely diverse and informed music tastes. They know about so many types of music from so many time periods, but for whatever reason they're completely ignorant of black music outside of jazz and like *old* blue recordings. It's like they just don't see the value of black music being pioneered after the 1950s/60s. They're all white, I'm the only black guy that works there. Given how nuanced the rest of their music is, I was really puzzled.

And when it comes up, they never are able to give a valid criticism of the music. Like, we listened to frank ocean's new album and immediately everyone started roasting it, the boss saying things like "I like songs, these aren't songs, these are just...THINGS" (coming from a guy who loves stuff like Dead C, Alessandro Cortini, Jim O'Rourke, and Sun O))) ). He has a huge vinyl collection which would make most Cred Forumstants cum their pants, but auspiciously absent are any Soul, Funk, RnB, or Hip Hop albums. He has EVERY other genre, literally every other genre.

I genuinely do think for a lot of white people there's a hidden element in black music which is hard for them to see and identify with, but that hidden element has been driving western music forward for the last 100 years or so.

>but they're dead now
Not even close to being dead. Step outside of Cred Forums, pitchfork and theneedledrop occasionally.

Hip hop is listened to because white-guilt wiggers.

Jazz is listened to (here) because people think it makes them look patrician (not saying its bad btw)

Everything else is ignored

Gun to my head I would say Voodoo is the greatest album of all time. The drumming/Rhythm is great, but what really sells it for me are how the arrangements bring out the beauty in the songwriting.

Also, the mixing on that album is brilliant. It very rarely gets loud, giving everything in the mix a lot of room to breathe. I can't really think of an album that utilizes volume so economically. It's also very warm bc of the analogue recording techniques. Just a brilliant work.

>I genuinely do think for a lot of white people there's a hidden element in black music which is hard for them to see and identify with

why are americans (whatever color their skin is) completely insane with this ? the fact is that skin color has nothing to do with "getting" something in music, and even moreso for genres like funk or disco which are way more about the music than about the lyrics
even japanese and russian funk bands exist, so what's the deal with wanting at all cost to make it a blacks vs whites thing, and even more when the average american by 2050 is supposed to be mixed race ?

"white" people have been ghostwriting and coproducing "black" music since it all started. Blacks have been sampling the hell out of both white and black music since rap began. But you need to make this a racist issue just to fee superior. Nearly every modern genre has been invented by white people. Blacks are so narrowminded and up their own ass that they only consider a few genres like, RnB, hip hop and such to be worthwhile. Saying that they are driving western music forward the past 100 years is the most retarded shit I've ever heard in my life.

Out of curiosity, what country are most of your modern funk/soul bands?

For me, soul is still predominately American but most of my modern funk is either British or French.

>why are YOU being racist
>proceeds to pretend whites did everything

Soul is one of my favourites but a lot of it is too cheesy for me. Marvin Gaye's albums are great, beautiful-sounding and not too cheesy.

It's just a generalization. Most white people grow up listening to white music and most black people grow up listening to black music. There are totally exceptions. Pipe down

Because skin color in america is an indicator of class and culture. You can pinpoint roughly what that person was exposed to growing up based on it.

Now, that being said, I will say that I've really only noticed this phenomena of "not getting" black music in white people 30 years +. These days, it seems harder and harder to have not been exposed growing up. It seems like in the last 20 years, the last reserves of white music steadily dried up from pop media.

Hip hop is '''''hip''''' and trendy atm including PBR&B

Funk and soul are not

most of the modern funk I listen to is french or german, but there is still some great stuff that comes out of the US : phofunk.bandcamp.com/

then why do you make a generalization if you know it is something that is just not true. it might surprise you, but most people don't give a shit about the music they listen to being made by blacks or whites or yellows or reds outside of the US

Because they're genres that are single driven instead of album.

>Blues
>Jazz
>Rock
>RnB/Soul
>Funk
>Disco
>HipHop

How has black music not been the driving force behind popular western music in the last 100 years. Are you that delusional that you think whites were actually responsible for any of these?

if you don't listen to hip hop you are racist

if you don't listen to r&b/soul/funk you have good taste

>Cred Forums logic

I think you misunderstand where I'm coming from. I'm not saying that american whites who don't get black music do it out of prejudice, at least not the ones I'm talking about.

I'm just saying that for some, they aren't able to easily assess the value of genres pioneered by blacks, and i just find it curious. It's just something I've noticed.

I don't think for a second that they're thinking "Oh a black dude made this, I'm not sure about this," even if you show James Blake to these people they'd have the same reaction.

This
why is Cred Forums so prejudiced and obstinate

Jazz is poor mans classical

master b8

then it's maybe because they just don't care about this kind of music, and I don't see how that's something you should care about since it's their loss and not yours
there's a lot of music to be listened to out there, so if you do it just to be knowleadgable on things nobody cares about like finnish trad music or whatever there's nothing wrong with it, but if you have specific musical interests that you are already aware of I don't see why you should loose your time to listen to stuff you don't care about just for the sake of listening to it

also RIP Kashif, I just learned the news...

>four or so guys doing do do la do bo bo bo boop for eight minutes is not poor mans classical

it sounds nothing like classical.

>tom and jerry reaction image

kys

>50 or so people badly trying to emulate elevator music for and hour and a half is not poor man's muzak

get some taste in memes bro

Bait

A coordination of a giant group of people who all needed exceptional talent and dedication to master their instrument to play homages to historic events and humaity's achievement VS some delinquents complaining about their life caused by shitty decisions their parents made

>multiple complicated movements and instrument harmonies for several hours
>4 guys playing chromatic/7th chords that go around in fifths on a good day

>r&b / funk / soul

Wait are you still talking about about jazz? Is that your description of it? What the fuck???

>putting Frank on the same chart as Marvin
> Distilling 80 years (not true by the way) of r&b, funk and soul to four albums of which one is admittedly GOAT, the second a great album without being the artists best, and two others which are good but not worthy of the pantheon.

It's like you're the one who hates and ignores 70 years of r&b, funk and soul

>daddy paid a lot for me to get in this private school, but this will pay off when I'll be the lead french horn in Oniontown's orchestra

>classical
>complicated

hahaha...

>soul is is poor mans gregorian chants
>r&b is just hip hop with singing about love that ironically samples the "soul" music
>FUNK HAHA OFF BEAT SYNCOPATION XD

yeah, the OP image was meant to be a complete and exhaustive guide to the full history and range of r&b, funk and soul, obviously

>John Cage
>anywhere near in classical

No. I just want it to be more representative. There's no need to snarkily pick apart an argument I didn't make for the sake of being snarky.

One of those albums is a contender for the best soul album of all time; however, in terms of funk, only one of those albums tangentially fits the bill, and even there it's funk in its poppiest incarnation. R&B is such a loose term these days that conceptually any one of those four could fit the bill, but why ignore its female performers entirely? It's as if Aretha Franklin never sang a note.

Asking for exhaustiveness is ridiculous, obviously. But if you're trying to put together a chart which is representative, than you can do a lot better than OP's effort.

Its not even a thread about the music, just a question why people don't care

They don't, they talk about this shit all the time and I'm honestly tired of it.

I want to go on the Cred Forums you do.

Yes, but that doesn't mean OP shouldn't strive for representation. In its way, his chart shows a bias towards the more modern tenets of soul music and towards male as opposed to female singers.

If you are to ask as to why people don't care, maybe you should evaluate how much you care yourself.

Good chart there, though I wonder how people would react to The Reverend Gary Davis.

cherrypicking and ad hominem (way off though): the post

>very little interesting music coming out of it
holy fucking shit. learn to play music

Basically half my "chill out" playlist is full of r&b, funk and soul songs.

>"chill out"
You fucking weed smoking piece of shit get a job

>doing drugs
lol disgusting. I play it when I hang out with friends and not in the mood for some seriously bumpin music or "serious" music.

that's a great chart. does anyone have a chart somewhat similar to this?? including soul, funk, maybe some r n b

Erm yes, here

agreed

black guy here
where's
ja rule?
ashanti?
kelis?
mariah carey?
aaliyah?
r kelly?
ciara
missy elliott?
eve?
destiny child?
amerie?
the isley brothers?
tlc?
usher?
mary j blige?
janet jackson?
brandy?
toni braxton?
monica?
keyshia cole?

Holy shit... Just listen to two or three of these tracks..

we dont like degerate art

>"white" people have been ghostwriting and coproducing "black" music since it all started

On this I will state three points:

1. Scott Joplin's promoter was a Jewish guy
2. The very first album Rick Rubin ever produced was LL Cool J's Radio
3. Jerry Stoller and Mike Lieber wrote many rock-and-roll numbers for both white and black performers

I'm surprised they don't know the big 70s funk groups like the Commodores and Earth, Wind, and Fire.

Not even remotely comparable beyond the fact that some mutants add Jazz and Classical to their libraries to seem more ~patrician~

People like you are why Cred Forums doesn't give black music a chance

Also Aerosmith were indirectly responsible for jump starting the hip-hop revolution.

I loved Blond
any reccs f am? i'm open to "Expanding My Musical Horizon" : ^ )

what are you talking about. every art hoe right now bumps that shit I listed
Cred Forums is always behind youtube.com/watch?v=jqdlCBLSq94

I think it has more to do with black music being based on rhythm instead of melody, because it descended from African music styles. Whites favor melody because of the European symphonic tradition.

no

Reminds me of Christgau talking of how when he first joined the Village Voice staff, he was the only partisan of black music there. Most of the lily white liberals at VV wanted nothing to do with it, even though they were always crying about wacism.

thats 100% correct majority of these sjw liberals only maybe listen to beyonce and say they care about "poc"

Rock and roll started as a rhythm-driven black music style that whites gradually whitified starting with the Beatles, the final climactic result being Pink Floyd playing a 15 minute bass solo you sat and listened to while stoned.

Because soul and funk made its greatest contributions in the 60's and 70's. Most of what you listed has more pop influences than soul, jazz and funk

because Fantano don't review good music

Pop comes from R&B

Nope.

I listened to Black Messiah when it came out, and was not particularly impressed. I listened to it a few more times throughout the past year, but nothing special.
Then, 2-3 weeks ago, I listened to it while reading the lyrics and holy shit it just clicked, it's really good.
So anyway, since then I've listened to Brown Sugar and Voodoo once, still not too familiar with those, but I can honestly say that I like D'Angelo now.

Growing up I had no choice but to listen to R&B/Soul on a daily basis. It's whatever though. There are a lot of outstanding tracks and albums that I continue to play whenever I feel.
Also it makes for amazing sex tunes that no other genre can hope to match.

tfw you're in her guts and D'Angelo starts hitting those high notes while you're about to nut

>fw you're in her guts and D'Angelo starts hitting those high notes while you're about to nut
Are you gay?

This is a great modern R&B/Neo-soul release. It does give me hints of more classic neo-soul, which is a big reason why I like it so much.

I think what you have to understand about Christgau's music tastes is that he dislikes metal and prog for having whitified and Europeanized rock-and-roll, which he thinks should be a style rooted in black sounds, and that Floyd or Iron Maiden or whatever dropped practically anything "black" from their brand of rock.

No, but have you seen D'Angelo?

Only true plebs ignore the greatest genre of all time.

>Also it makes for amazing sex tunes that no other genre can hope to match

I agree there. I've never seen a white rocker make a sex song as effective as Groove Me or Can't Get Enough of Your Love.

suuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuUUUUUuugar

As much as groups like RHCP tried, they could never beat the actual black funk stuff for sexiness.

Most people here are bullshitters and done actually know music history.

it's a bit more complicated than this obviously but this is basically accurate

All of the artists on your list commercialize sex rather than making music from the more nuanced black experience. Those musicians made it to the radio because they could be sold to the white public.

Try these and let me know what you think.
youtube.com/watch?v=EdhoX1Xu6ZI
youtube.com/watch?v=ikCbvJ3NguU
youtube.com/watch?v=iSDCPKsSf2U
youtube.com/watch?v=wDUk9Lsy_yQ
youtube.com/watch?v=CzlzoeYA3Lg

Or go all the way back to the 50s and think "I Only Have Eyes For You".

Don't get me wrong, there are some tracks from white rockers that make pretty great sex songs. But the bass, drums, etc, rhythms in general (inb4 muh rhythm) basically guide and control your body during intercourse in such a way that no other genre of music can in my opinion. But that could be a bias since that's mainly what I've been listening to most of my life.

m8 I already know those
I just listed shit that black people actually listen too
Cred Forums should give both sides a chance instead of avoiding one because of its pop influence

YIKES. Read a fucking music history book m8! Shit you don't even have to do that, you can just go on Wikipedia for this sorta thing because it's such common/basic knowledge!

>not being able to spot Cred Forums bait

The truth has nothing to do with rhythm or melody, it's about image.

People generally and Cred Forums specifically judge music heavily on its image, its scene and its following - and I don't think it's entirely wrong, it's definitely a presence in the music and for most normal humans that have the power of association, it changes the entire experience.

As long as I can look intense, purposeful and serious while scraping a distorted pedal guitar with a hair comb, people will listen to it and take it seriously because they believe in the intent behind what I'm doing.

Soul, funk, R&B have the burden of never having had an interesting image, it isn't considered a very intelligent form of music, it doesn't usually deal with heavy themes, it's very straight forward without having any hidden layers to it, it doesn't usually go very experimental.

Also, most people I know who like these genres are white while black people find them cringey so I'm not really sure what's this whole race thing that's going on here.

He wrote a funny (if slightly gross) piece on how Janet Jackson's music was sexy in a way that Britney and Madonna weren't.

>Soul, funk, R&B have the burden of never having had an interesting image, it isn't considered a very intelligent form of music, it doesn't usually deal with heavy themes, it's very straight forward without having any hidden layers to it, it doesn't usually go very experimental.

IDK, P-Funk were pretty heavy for their time. So were Public Enemy.

been meaning to expand my knowledge of these genres, thanks for the chart

this thread shows that perhaps it's for the best that Cred Forums doesn't talk about soul/funk that much

Same reason everyone here hates dance music.

You're all edgy teens who listen to depressing ''woe me muh first world problems'' bullshit or teenage-angst-shouty-core or too busy trying to be ''gangster''.

I like HANL and this youtube.com/watch?v=MMreSGr7_Zo

I think a fairly low share of their stuff is actually heavy and definitely not the most popular.
The stuff that was good is actually quite commonly praised around - I see Maggot Brain mentioned quite often here, more than any other P-FUNK stuff.

I'm less knowledgeable on Public Enemy

How cute, the 14 year old thinks meal is "deep".

>I'm less knowledgeable on Public Enemy

The early days of rap were often highly political, but it wasn't all that long to turn into commercialized 50 Cent schlock.

I actually listen to these genres, but I can understand why people disregard them.
Suck my balls.

If black music has tended to be less deep and more concentrated on sex/party tunes, that's probably got a lot to do with the record industry (and white America in general) disliking black militancy and instead encouraging low budget in da club singles.

>do collab with Run DMC
>idiot racist white trash rock fans accuse Aerosmith of being race traitors for collabing with a black group
>yfw they were too stupid to realize that rock came from black music styles

I'd say any form of militancy is frowned upon by record industry and music fans generally, I don't think it's a black specific thing.

Also I don't think record companies ever tried too hard to dictate tastes or genres or ideas, they just respond to sales - w/e makes money is what gets made.
If white americans - which I'm willing to bet were the main buying force of music at the time and maybe still today - don't care to listen to a record about black militancy, you're giving up on a huge market share.

I wouldn't go so far as to say that, but he's very, very good.
or was, I guess

Also, if you think the "deepest" theme a black person can speak of is black militancy then you have very low expectations of black people and black music, imo.

If you can find a black Bob Dylan or Leonard Cohen, get back to me.

>Also I don't think record companies ever tried too hard to dictate tastes or genres or ideas, they just respond to sales - w/e makes money is what gets made

Really. Is that what you think? Because you apparently forgot how the record labels and MTV went out of their way to evict AOR stadium metal in the 90s and replace it with hip-hop and alternative.

Black culture in general has this kind of anti-intellectual bent to it.

jus keepin it realz

>he actually has never listened to any folk or blues

>blues
>intellectual

AW MAH BABY LEFT ME
AH GOT A HOLE IN MAH SOUL
ALLS I CAN DO NOW IS SING THE BLUES

There. I just summarized 90% of all blues song ever written.

R&B is a dead genre.

Aside from Frank Ocean no one makes good R&B anymore.

>black "music"
GANG GANG BANG YUH YUH YUH
FIDDY BANDZ FIDDY BANDZ
(VER$ACE)
BOP BOP BOP
EEEEEYO SQUAAA

D'Angelo is the best musician from the last 20 years

I agree. The last gasp of R&B was in the 90s. Anything that passes for R&B in the last 12 or so years is just bad hip-hop with synths.

dude D'Angelo literally have a white bassist (Pino Palladino) and he's pretty much the best since james jamerson.

>Frank Ocean
>Implying

>best musician of past 20 years
>is a singer

Gr8 b8 m8, I r8 8/8, no h8

lately i've been thinking about the troll mindset. I wonder if ppl like you are trolls or just isolated weirdos, then it dawned on me that it doesn't matter because most trolls start as isolated weirdos anyway. I could go on and on giving you albums from the last 12 years that are great rnb. but i'll just give you one to start. Corinne Bailey Rae's eponymous album

Maybe because people were tired of Gene Simmons' brand of rock. You think of that?

Lol. AOR stadium metal lasted far too long anyway.

lmao he writes and produces his stuff aswell.

Twenty friggin' years from Led Zeppelin IV until Nevermind put it to rest.

I wonder if he eats by himself.

the irony

And even then, it wasn't automatic since the big alternative bands still relied to a large extent on stadium metal sounds.

Almost every artist who came out before the 80s and wasn't Aerosmith got booted from the airwaves in the early 90s.

Because Cred Forums only like niggers when they're banging their GFs

Beethoven was black you dipshit and he literally invented jazz/boogie woogie/ragtime

Wow, fucking retard I bet you think Obama is black as well.

Nice one.

/thread

voodoo is honestly the best album of this century

yea mu is a bunch of 15-25 year old white dudes, by and large kind of a lost cause as far as these genres are concerned

The Concept [Cotillion, 1978]

Pioneering funk groups like P-Funk and the Commodores, manned by veteran musicians, largely stayed within the realm of existing black music styles. The younger ones however closer resemble third generation rock groups in concept. Unless you prefer Kansas to E&R, this is not a compliment. "Profound" lyrics such as "What is now will be be forever" may as well grace the back of a Starcastle album. This is very much a Starcastle kind of band too, right down to the general derivativeness and pretensions to content. But that doesn't make Starcastle music. Still, if interesting sounds, production, and textures are your idea of music, then black is still beautiful. B-

>I like songs, these aren't songs, these are just...THINGS
>Likes Dead C
This dude has to be trolling lmao. Also, fucking entry level drone Sun O))) is nothing to brag about. He sounds like the dude that uses music as an accessory to flaunt to his friends, he probs forces himself to enjoy his "top artist" rather than having genuine interest.

When I say white rocker I'm mainly referring to metal, punk, classic rock acts.

BJ the Chicago Kid, Miguel, Anderson .Paak, Nao, Maxwell, and pre-Kissland Weeknd say hello

You are completely and absolutely correct, and all of your detractors cannot name one interesting thing about the music in the OP.

More like pic related? this is my favorite funkadelic by far, the jams are awesome and there's so much detail in every track besides the groovy

everyone who hasn't listened to soul music before should do themselves a favor and listen to isaac hayes

>Rock

This one is the most common lie. The initial wave of black rock basically died in about 1960 and the modern rock we see today is more a result of white folk ,white acid rock, white pop and white studio use innovations that came from the mid-1960s. In fact, part of what whites did to rock was remove it's blues influence. Rock operas incorporate theatrical aspects of the white-invented musical format.

And there is also the lie that jazz, for instance, is due entirely or even mostly to black people.

The real prejudice is the ridiculous amount of focus on black musicians. For instance, will you ever find discussions of how the innovations of John Cage and Karlheinz Stockhausen ended up influencing popular music? Oh, and there's also the pretending that white classical music wasn't an even more fundamental precursor to modern popular music than primitive blues, jazz, and RnB.

>In fact, part of what whites did to rock was remove it's blues influence

>like the Rolling Stones, Clapton, Led Zeppelin, and Aerosmith didn't all worship Howlin' Wolf and BB King

All 'n All [Columbia, 1977]

Focusing soulful horns, high-tension harmonies, and rhythms and textures from many lands onto a first side that cooks throughout. Only one element is lacking. Still, unsympathetic as I am to lyrics about conquering the universe on wings of thought, they make me shake my fundament anyway. B+

I like this post

After 1960, there was just Jimi Hendrix and...uh, Hootie and the Blowfish?

Crackas been copying our music styles since forever, but they never can quite get it right.

She's Gone [Bell, 1975]

Since we've stopped resisting middle-class soul, why is Lou Rawls more objectionable than Gladys Knight? Because for Rawls, middle-class soul feels like a compromise rather than an achievement. Again and again, the sureness of his rich voice betrays a subtle disdain for what he's doing, and even worse, what he's doing often deserves it. Respectful Gladys would never settle for a song as fustian as "Hourglass" or as contrived as "Now You're Coming Back Michelle." Which is why she's irresistible. C-

fpbp

r&b, funk, and soul are formulaic.
the lyrical and musical devices used are narrow and repetitive.
there is talent in the genre, but it's not very experimental or adventurous.
The most it brings to the table is the occasional technical instrumentation, but I can listen to blues, jazz, or metal for that.

t. Lou Rawls was a Tom Jones-style lounge lizard who considered soul beneath his dignity

Surgery wit the chainsaw grrrrr, I hit the fucking streets
cause like I said before ain't nothing going down until I eat
Mu'fuckers think it's all about impressing bitches and stressing bitches
Well, I'm testing bitches game, addressing bitches, and caressing bitches
And dealing with motherfuckers on all levels
What I'm dealing with is all devils, fucking with snakes
Running with niggaz you call rebels
I got an army of 730 niggaz, dirty niggaz
that come through and worry niggaz
30 niggaz that like to bury niggaz
And scary niggaz get it all the time
'Cause what they got is all of mine
Your man was talkin' shit until I pulled the nine
And if I don't know you, I don't fuck with you
And if you with my man, then he getting stuck with you
and gave it the money
Cause I just lost my mind when he crossed the line
Sent his back through his chest
then I tossed the nine, boss of crime
Black Gotti, I stack bodies wit the black shotty
Bitch-ass niggaz who act snotty
Get it

>BJ The Chicago Kid
Boring

>Miguel
Good

>Paak
More hip-hop

>Nao
>women

>Maxwell
>old

>pre-Kissland Weeknd
>music about rape

Maxwell's new album is still good. Can't let age keep you from listening stuff.

>music about rape
True, but it sounds nice.

really made me think

Yeah, this. OP should make an AC/DC or Pantera thread and he'd get more replies.

Are there even anymore good R&B artists left?

Just gave Ro James a listen, he seems decent.

I meant good new R&B artists by the way.

I Am [Columbia, 1979]

Catchy, sexy, danceable music (at least on side one), but as we all know, they could be doing a lot better. B-

youtube.com/watch?v=oFbo8I2KkR8

I kind of agree with the point some people made about black music being mostly rhythmic instead of melodic and that may be one reason it doesn't "click" with whites.

EW&F were always far too pretentious for my taste.

Also Jupiter is literally exactly the same song as Shining Star.

Fuck this white boy rockist board.

Funk and R&B are rather monotonous stuff; they're not that interesting or catchy to listen to.

What's Going On is in my personal top 2, and I consistently shill it. I've only ever met wit someone negatively criticizing the album maybe once.

Blond received pretty much universal acclaim on this board before folks here decided it was too mainstream and dropped it.

Voodoo is posted on this board at least once a week with someone commenting like "this is the single best album to fuck to ever made" or "holy shit Cred Forums why didn't you tell me that this was so amazing?"

Innervisions gets less play, and Stevie Wonder is definitely underrated on Cred Forums. He still comes up from time to time, though, and people usually say nice things.

"hole in my soul" is not a very bluesy line

blues musicians generally prefer understatement to cliche metaphors

Christgau was obsessed with Stevie Wonder almost to the point of wanting to have gay sex with him.

>what are feelings

You're right. White people can understand it but it takes time.

If a black person listened to 50s rock and roll and then the Beatles, he would probably prefer the rock and roll where a white person would identify more with the cutesy melodies of the Beatles. 50s rock and roll is very black and chanty and beat-driven, and soul and hip hop is just a variation on the rhythmic drive of black music.

wow it just clicked with me
it's like emo for people who get laid

Black music is rhythmic because it came from African music styles imported by slaves.

You're forcing shit on you. Soul and R&B are the pinnacle of the music. Only alpha males understand this. Funk and Disco are essentials genres for pop culture and the music industry, essentially the most relevant and important music genre of all time: hip-hop. Blues, Jazz and Rock are three important black creations too, elemental music who enriched entires civilizations. Africa blessing. The world was blessed with all this, now they try to copy and replicate to death, jelly.

Metal, emo and folk are secundary and feminine music genres.

Rock as we know it is white dude

By the 70s the blackness of rock and roll was gone, and most popular rock is about big riffs and melodies and the backbeat is just... there, rather than being at the center.

As stated in this random thread, white people have no soul or sense of rhythm. They're not allowed to judge black music.

hate speech, conspiracy paranoia and suicide thoughts its all thar rest for them, they should stop ripping off other superior cultures

>get assigned project on black music in school
>see this thread
Thanks guys

Rock on its origin is black.
Most of trash 'rock' is white product, like black metal and symphonic metal.

But even psych rock have roots and influences of black music. The most influential rock band of all time, Beatles is absolutely influences by black music.

Black is everything.

The Beatles almost completely removed anything "black" from rock though.

Yep.

This is why I think that even though punk rock is always associated with angry white kids, and even though it isn't generally very bluesy, it's one of the more black-sounding rock genres besides rock and roll. (early) punk is all about the beat and drive of the music than the melody and arrangements. Something like Funhouse or Horses or Never Mind the Bollocks is much less white than Dark Side of the Moon or Sgt Peppers.

Because rock is more about fear and anger than the good vibes of r&b. Rock artists making sex songs always contextualize it in a way that implies guilt and shame and anger and teen horniness.

>when youre so socially inept that you miss the joke by this much

It had more to do with Europeans gradually removing any blackness from rock just as they did same with disco (see: ABBA).

Why do you dislike Frank Ocean? Blonde is easily my favorite album of this great year for music, and Channel Orange is just as good. He is a fucking amazing songwriter.

Aside from the Rolling Stones of course who always stayed very close to black styles.

lel grunge is just AOR metal with "depressing" lyrics for teens and "anti-rockstars" that were even more egotistical than their predecessors

With the exception of Nirvana, the big alt bands grew up on metal, not punk.

That album is pretty piss-poor tbqh

>Funk and R&B
>not catchy
only if you're listening for melody.

Yes, as Xgau noted here. Of all the grunge bands, the only one he really liked was Nirvana who were the most purely punk and least stadium metal of the bunch.

If you also saw Kurt Cobain's list of favorite bands, he had almost no AOR metal on there except Aerosmith who were closer to the Rolling Stones in concept than Van Halen.

>199 replies and 19 images omitted. Click here to view.

Why do actual /funk+soul/ general threads never get these replies and number of posters? Where are you all then?

Ah, good old Christgau and his decades-long jihad against stadium metal.

That's nice. Now pass the Judas Priest albums this way.

I think the real downfall of stadium rock wasn't in 1991, it was more 1996 when grunge began fading out. There have really been no new bands of that kind to have come along since then.

Cobain also thought all those bands except Soundgarden were phony anyway.

This thread is about rock now, again.

>lel grunge is just AOR metal with "depressing" lyrics for teens and "anti-rockstars" that were even more egotistical than their predecessors

Yeah at least Gene Simmons and Nikki Sixx never pretended to be anything more than mindless cockrock.

Depends on the group. Like, I never found EW&F very catchy.

Tbh you're right. I only got into black music because I play bass and most white bass players suck and white music isn't fun to play on bass most of the time. Hell, all the white players I like such as Jaco and Pino loved James Brown and James Jamerson. It has a groove you just don't find in white music or rock.

When he's not getting sued by Don Henley.

>Hell, all the white players I like such as Jaco and Pino loved James Brown and James Jamerson

Don't forget Flea. He wouldn't be anywhere without P-Funk.

True, it's funny how Flea was a huge jazz fan and only got into rock more because of the other members of RHCP.

>not ONE Larry Heard album

What do you anons think of Mama's Gun? Is it worth a listen?

Their last album is influenced by R&B. They started being influenced by black music and ended being influenced by black music. Same way Nirvana got influenced by Death and Bad Brains.

This isn't /bleep/

He didn't listen to rock at all as a teenager, only jazz, until Hillel Slovak got him into rock.

Pre 2000 Larry Heard ain't /bleep/

i have her discog, this is essential sex music.

Plus: Brian Eno and david Byrne ripped off black rhythms and black styles, they're helped to birth some of the atual indie rock bands, Eno is a master of electronic music, thanks to black music, jazz, afrobeat.

what is vaoorwave, plunderphonics if not ripping off black music

RHCP, now they started off being influenced by black sounds and gradually got whiter and less funky as time went on.

Jazz also with time moved away from its rhythmic black origins and got whiter and more like classical music.

It's especially funny to hear crackers whining how miserable their life is on a song when the white race can't begin to know what pain is.

R&B was basically jazz made more rhythmic and danceable for the youth.

R&B really pretty much started with The Ink Spots, and the evolution of jazz into overstuffed fedora crap began right after WWII with bebop.

Red Hot is all about energy release. The person behind them ( a tranny lover) was the man of heavy and hard hitting genremixes.
Rolling Stone did a lot of under black influences albums. Tatoo You, especially. Shit is fire.

In a interview with the RHCP vocalist, Rubens told he got almost all of his influences from punk, Beatles and beach boys.

what is Ok Computer? Thom said it was extremely under Miles Davis influence.

Red Hot is all about energy release. The person behind them ( a tranny lover) was the man of heavy and hard hitting genremixes.
Rolling Stone did a lot of under black influences albums. Tatoo You, especially. Shit is fire.

In a interview with the RHCP vocalist, Rubens told he got almost all of his influences from punk, Beatles and beach boys.

what is Ok Computer? Thom said it was extremely under Miles Davis influence.

What is To pimp a butterfly, Kendrick said he listened "a lot of Miles Davis" while working on it.

What is Blackstar, Bowie team said "Kendrick music and Rap Grips music" influenced this.

I guess black is everything

They weren't produced by Rick Rubin until switching to Warner Bros and becoming stadium rock, the 80s stuff on EMI was produced by Michael Beinhorn and George Clinton.

>women
what did he mean by this?

Jimi Hendrix was really the last gasp of black rock music and his sound was still very free-form and amelodic, with sound emphasized over song structures.

Flea of RHCP has said when he orginally began his career in music and interest in it his influences were Duke Ellington, John Coltrane, Miles Davis, Louis Armstrong and bunch of other black musicians. Pretty neat stuff

A lot of people didn't (and don't) like the Rolling Stones either, most likely because they don't "get" how their sound stayed close to black styles and wasn't of the Sabbath/Zeppelin tight overdriven riff school, even though Jimi Hendrix actually started that whole thing.

He meant he's gay.

It's true that Purple Haze was the blueprint for all riff-driven metal, although the British bands like BS tightened it up and made proper songs with it instead of noise fragments.

Yeh if you think Cities on Flame With Rock and Roll is what rock should sound like, you probably wouldn't like the Stones.

soundcloud.com/andyb303/kiss-94fm-norman-jay-original-rare-groove-jbs-july-1988

Anyone /rare groove/ here?

Or Northern Soul?
youtube.com/watch?v=1bgR58DvLoU

There was a lot of overlap between black and white audiences in the 70s but the massive anti-disco backlash led to black music not made by Michael Jackson almost totally disappearing from white radio during the Reagan years.

Yeah it is, it's house music. You can't have a black music thread without mentioning Larry Heard of course, but this thread is about soul, funk and rnb.

I love some 90s RnB from time to time
youtube.com/watch?v=bJTs8I87qFc

Cred Forums doesn't like niggers except for Kanye, MF Doom, Wu Tang, and MC Ride.

What's Going On is the GOAT album.

He thinks Slave were pretentious and EW&F weren't? EW&F always came off to me as pretentious as fuck.

70s was when wealth inequality started rising and the divide between whites and blacks increased

nowadays whites are too privileged to truly understand black music