FromSung Tongs' "Kids on Holiday" andFeels' "Banshee Beat" toStrawberry Jam's "Fireworks" andMerriweather's "My Girls"...

FromSung Tongs' "Kids on Holiday" andFeels' "Banshee Beat" toStrawberry Jam's "Fireworks" andMerriweather's "My Girls", Animal Collective's greatest moments have conveyed a shared sense of discovery. There's a sense of something special being slowly revealed, of chaotic rhythms, harmonies, and atmospheres gradually cohering into glorious moments of clarity before dissolving into the ether.Centipede Hz, by comparison, feels like someone throwing a burrito on your windshield: The songs hit with a jolt, instantly splaying all their ingredients before you.

it sucks that some people are too blinded by shitty reviews to enjoy how great this album actually is

this

it's easily their worst. which is not to say it's awful, they're probably the most talented band still working today, but I can't think of an animal collective album I wouldn't prefer to this one

It feels like someone throwing a burrito on your windshield desu

Centepede Hz is their most creative and experimental album when it comes to instrumentation, even more so than their super early work. If you listen with good headphones, it's honestly awe inspiring. I personally prefer their ambient easy-listening stuff like feels and sung tongs.

painting with

The burrito analogy is actually very accurate. That's not a proper criticism by any means but it's a good analogy.

is a better album by far

>tfw I liked both CHz and PW
>tfw seeing people shit on them kinda makes me sad, even though I understand the criticism of these two albums

I don't know how to describe this.

Totally understand this feel user Painting With is one of my favorite albums this year

I understand the criticism of PW, which I still like, but I don't see why people dislike chz so much. I think it's really coherent and at least like a 7.5. Not as great as MPP, but still great.
Moonjock, Today's supernatural, applesauce, new town burnout, Amanita, Monkey Riches are just so good.

Centipede Hz is definitely one of their weaker albums but I wouldn't say it's the worst. I like all of their albums none of them are truly bad but I would say Danse Manatee is their worst.

Iktf

Painting With I just enjoy because it's fun and has a few beautiful songs (Golden Gal, On Delay, The Burglars) but on some days Centipede Hz is easily my favorite AC album. It feels like therapy sometimes to just listen to the whole thing and just let it pound your senses. The melodies are some of their prettiest ever (Applesauce, Wide Eyed, New Town Burnout, Pulleys, Amanita) but the production just shrouds everything in this very visceral pain that makes it really incredible to me.

Why don't more people consider the context of an album when they listen to it? Music doesn't exist in a vacuum; I've never understood how people can pretend it does. When you listen to Centipede Hz and consider its place within the timeline of the band I don't know how you can't consider it to be a super important record in their discography. Listen to Bluish and then listen to Mercury Man right after. There are throughlines everywhere...

I also feel the same way with pic related, it has grown on me a lot lately.

Fuck p4k and piero, still to this day i get pure sheer joy listening to Moonjock, Applesauce and Amanita. It's by no means a masterpeice but it has its damn good moments.

Centipede Hz completely flies in the face of everything Animal Collective had achieved in the 2000's. In their work of that decade, the sonic and melodic elements fused together to form something phenomenal. Centipede Hz is a very disjointed, disconnected album. Everything on it feels separate from what it's trying to achieve, and the whole experience feels someplace else, so you can never be present with it. This is basically the main problem with Centipede Hz. The sonic attack has absolutely no relevance to what the tracks are going for and don't play into the experience at all, they're just kind of 'there' with no purpose. If you really connected to and understood what was so brilliant about Animal Collective at their finest you'd know that this album really doesn't hold up. Like I said, the album is very disjointed. It's like it's not content when what it's doing. Some songs I think could have been amazing had they owned up to where the song's strengths were. The best example I can think of for this is New Town Burnout; The track spins around in circles, and whereas on previous Animal Collective albums that would have been the point and everything about the track would have played into making that experience as enticing and enjoyable as possible, the track sounds like them trying to break free of the circle, discontent with what the song is actually doing, applying forced chord changes and such. What could have been a mesmerizing experience becomes a struggle to break out of what it's doing. The whole album feels like this more or less.

It will soon be eight years since Animal Collective last put out a legitimately good record.

But Painting With only came out earlier this year

That album was nothing but a creative exercise and it failed. Everything about the album is depressing. Even Avey Tare's expression on the cover is depressing. It almost sounds like a weird suicide note. It's the Beach Boy's Fifteen Big Ones of the 2010's.

Jesus dude just because you don't like it doesn't mean it's a suicide note. Don't be so dramatic.

I don't like it either.

I think it is just a strange angle for them to take. Sure they have to do something different each time to stay who they are, but the amazing lyrics don't save anything, unfortunately.