What are some albums similar to early modest mouse? (i.e. pic related, moon & antarctica, long drive)

what are some albums similar to early modest mouse? (i.e. pic related, moon & antarctica, long drive)

Other urls found in this thread:

metacritic.com/music/icky-mettle-deluxe-edition/archers-of-loaf
metacritic.com/music/vee-vee-remastered/archers-of-loaf
youtube.com/watch?v=ralP2fJtXDw
youtube.com/watch?v=3-f7zsW7EV4
youtube.com/watch?v=Kb1RlzyWHm4
youtube.com/watch?v=oIqRV3XK-d0
youtube.com/watch?v=Y7MHf6B1xiA
youtube.com/watch?v=-eYXhRRJdqA
youtube.com/watch?v=CiXF417CnhE
twitter.com/SFWRedditGifs

Built to Spill is close-ish if you like MM's softer songs.

is it weird i hear a subtle Trout Mask Replica influence on Long Drive and LCW

Time to grow out of Modest Mouse, friend.

what?

I still haven't found anything that hits me in the same way Modest Mouse does. Pixies, Built to Spill, and Pavement are all often mentioned in the same breath though.

I'm eager to hear some recommendations other than the typical responses though. I could really use something to fill the gap.

if you haven't listened to all of MM's more rare early shit (sad sappy sucker, building nothing out of something, interstate 8, etc.), you should get on that, you're missing out on some of their best shit. also isaac brock's side project ugly casanova is p good. other than that, built to spill was mentioned earlier and they're great, can't really think of anything else.

takes the meme depression to a whole new level

Archer Of Loaf - Icky Mettle 94%

metacritic.com/music/icky-mettle-deluxe-edition/archers-of-loaf

& Vee Vee 86%

metacritic.com/music/vee-vee-remastered/archers-of-loaf

No one knows or cares about the Loaf today, personally I think Vee Vee is way better than Icky Mettle, but whatever...

Oh yeah I should have mentioned Ugly Casanova. Sharpen Your Teeth is good shit. For MM's other stuff, Everywhere and His etc.., Building Nothing, and Baron von Bullshit are all musts. Interstate 8 is good for Edit the Sad Parts but that's it. Pretty much everything else is on Building Nothing Out of Something

For whatever reason this one Blood Brothers song always reminded me of Modest Mouse? the rest of their shit doesn't sound like MM at all tho. v underrated band desu u should listen to them anyway. youtube.com/watch?v=ralP2fJtXDw

i used to trade tapes with a guy at work and he gave me white trash heroes. i really want to investigate more but i don't. ill try those.

you're the worst kind of music listener

It kinda sounds like newer MM mixed with some shitty metal band. Not really what OP was asking for.

I got them recced to me because I love Pavement. Didnt like that song that much, something about the singing and the song reminded me of shit like Foo Fighters or something. Feel I need to listen more though, care to tell me about them and their sound?

Anyone know where I should start with Built to Spill?

Right here. It's arguably their best release and the guitar tone is unmatched.

Move on to Keep it Like a Secret if you want shorter crunchy pop songs, or go to Nothing Wrong With Love if you want a softer and more sincere record. Always gotta start with Perfect From Now On though.

I didn't start with Perfect From Now On and I haven't fallen in love with it like I have the one before and after it, but it's good.

Keep It Like A Secret is the most polished and realized BTS in my opinion
or if you like it real raw then go with There's Nothing Wrong With Love.

here's examples from each:
youtube.com/watch?v=3-f7zsW7EV4
youtube.com/watch?v=Kb1RlzyWHm4
youtube.com/watch?v=oIqRV3XK-d0

I love Vee Vee so much. Lyrically it encapsulates life of a 90s barhopping indierock townie perfectly. It sounds like the album was written and recorded while everyone was drunk and stoned.

Nothing at all like Foo Fighters. You were recommended them because they sound like a punk version of Pavement. Lyrics are less word saladly/cut n paste. More like a nihilistic/absurdist version of Fugazi.

These aren't the 2 best songs on the album, I just chose them to show you how far removed they are from Foo Fighters.

youtube.com/watch?v=Y7MHf6B1xiA

youtube.com/watch?v=-eYXhRRJdqA

The song White Trash Heroes is the only great song on the White Trash Heroes album.

Icky Mettle and Vee Vee are way better.

it's time bud

Okay thanks, that sounds really good actually

I don't see the similarity but listen to this anyway, senpai

how come every modest mouse album cover is so fucking SHIT

Alright, thanks guys

Some of Archers of Loaf's best material is on an EP they recorded just after Icky Mettle:

youtube.com/watch?v=CiXF417CnhE

this is the correct take on Built to Spill

this
and pic related for the mellower stuff

You'd probably like Brand New's third album.

I always found Contemporary Movement to be the more MM-esque Duster album.

Eiafuawn - Birds In The Ground reminds of Modest Mouse's early stuff at times.