Is this the only band whose live albums sound as good as their studio albums?

Is this the only band whose live albums sound as good as their studio albums?

live albums are arguably better

the birthday party

The Allman Brothers, Grateful Dead, Phish the list goes on...

Bowie has some underrated live albums. Stage, Reality Tour, and Nassau Coliseum 76 are all top tier officially released live albums

I honestly have troubles listening to the studio versions of their songs. The lives versions are just the definitive versions to me.

Atleast up to the mid 70s when Keith started to go to shit

If you told me this was a studio album I'd believe it

ever heard the studio version of Girlfriend is Better? ugh.

Frank Zappa, too

don't think old swans had the same punch on the live albums. Their more recent ones seem to pretty on point to the live shows though

this is amazing

If I recall correctly, that's because it was mixed and extensively overdubbed in the studio. Either way, you can't go wrong with Zappa live recordings. The You Can't Do That On Stage Anymore series is so much fun.

it doesn't matter when all of their music is shit

goat

The Who's Live at Leeds is considered one of the greatest live records of all time

This, "rock" music was a mistake

Yeah, but even then the Who's studio albums completely blow Live at Leeds out of the water in terms of quality.

I say this as a die-hard Who fan.

with Talking Heads, the studio version either doesn't have as much as it needs going on in it so the live version fleshes it out, or the studio version is to over produced and the live version makes it more minimalistic. Only songs I can't say that for are Once in a Lifetime, and Born Under Punches.

Their live albums sound better than studio.

Honestly I'm kind of surprised they didn't ditch the studio after the triumph that was Europe '72, the live setting was really where their strength lied. Wake of the Flood had arguably some of their best songs on it, but the recordings there are pretty weak. Eyes of the World sounds almost like a commercial for what it was in a live setting. That album could have been amazing had they used only live recordings.

Bjork

Agreed, Live at the BBC too.

Deep Purple was even better live than their studio stuff

you already know the answer to your question

>forgetting the greatest live album of all time

Johnny Cash's live work is his best work

I don't get the appeal of this album. The studio versions of the songs sound a lot better imo

Aren't live concerts the whole point of jam bands in general?

I honestly have no idea how they did it