Why is this so hated?

why is this so hated?

ON THE TURNING AWAY

Cause it sounds like any old 80's crap.

Because it's incompetent. It's a complete betrayal of Pink Floyd's work. It sounds like fucking Enya without the good singer, and with even (shockingly) worse lyrics than Enya.

It's one thing if a well-regarded artist makes a misstep and accomplishes a piece of work that people don't like, but it's quite another thing to attempt to accomplish a piece of work and fail. This album had every monetary resource available, plus promotion, plus reputation, plus media hype and metric tons of fan loyalty, and yet it still barely passes as a Pink Floyd album.

If this album was ANY band's first record, they never would have made it. Even with the millions spent and the gigantic lightshow. Only a band as big and rich as Pink Floyd could have survived this. I'm sorry to be so harsh, but it's incompetent. DG's solo works were genuine. They aren't great, but they floated on him and him alone. RW's solo works, same thing. You can listen to it and decide to like or dislike it, but one thing you can't say is that he didn't accomplish exactly what he attempted. Even Rick Wright's poopey solo efforts were genuine and the A, B, and C that he attemped resulted in A, B, and C. A Momentary Lapse of Judgement was an unintentional rout and shortfalling. It's borderline insulting †bh ƒams.

It's a David Gilmour solo record with Pink Floyd's name on it, plus most of the lyrics were written by Anthony Moore who does a cheap shot at ghostwriting Roger Waters into the band. But that doesn't change the fact that they were at their best when Roger Waters provided the concept and the overall direction while David and Rick brought it to life and got the best out of it musically. You can't get that back by hiring some lyricist.

Everything you said is 100% accurate.

Not to mention the severed ties that A Momentary Lapse of Reason resulted in. The musical paring of Waters/Gilmour was officially destroyed with this record, if it was never actually stated with the Wall and the Final Cut it was here. Seriously one of, possible the most disgraceful record ever made. So much was shot down with this record.

And not to be a dick but the follow-up, Division Bell, is second-worst IMO. It's not close to as bad, but it still smells bad in weird sublte ways.

One litmus test is how dated they sound. Sure, Meddle sounds 1972, DSotM sounds '73, The Wall sounds '79, etc. But for those albums, miraculously, the dated sound is a good thing. Newp, not for Momentary. Hell, The Final Cut sounds fucking timeless. Amused to Death - same thing. No stinky production that ruins the music over the years. Momentary, even Division Bell... ew.

ßump for bant

AMLoR didn't result in broken ties. it was sort of a result of them. Waters had already left, so Floyd was lost, kind of like they were when Syd left.

Regardless, I personally don't hate it though.

fair enough. how do you rank it within the PF catalogue though?

I really don't think you'd like it.

I'm a pretty big fan of David GIlmour's

Because the last good Floyd album was Saucerful of Secrets

A Momentary Lapse of Reason [Columbia, 1987]

"One Slip," which provides the title at just the moment the singer is so "decadent" as to copulate with a woman, is no less sexist than the rape-fantasy cover of Roger Waters's Pros and Cons of Hitchhiking. "The Dogs of War," ID'd with blues bottom, could almost be the tin soldiers of Waters-as-Floyd's The Final Cut. In short, you'd hardly know the group's conceptmaster was gone--except that they put out noticeably fewer ideas. C

whathappenswhenaprogbanddidn'tcallitquitsin1980.jpg

is there a translator in the house? wtf does any of this bowlschidt mean

learning to fly pulse version is good but besides that it's just offensively boring.

Dumbest cover art ever.

no shoop't though, they actually set that shit up real and by hand, for days. which is neato. even though it's a bit dumb like the rest of it.

Unless you're Bono and think prog almost destroyed rock-and-roll.

It was a prog band still thinking anyone wanted to listen to prog in 1987. The fuck did you expect?

Underrated.

Fuck you niggers in this thread. This is a great album. It kicks the shit out of anything before meddle, stomps the final cut, and shames the endless river. Learning to Fly, Terminal Frost, and Sorrow are all my fucking jams. I do not understand why people hate this album so damn much. It is just good music. David Gilmore is a guitar genious and letting him solo makes the songs so much better. The Division Bell takes it up a notch and the man plays like a god. Just fucking listen to Poles Apart and Marooned. I wish I could punch you all through your monitors right now. Fucking assholes.

t. David Gilmour

Roger Waters was dead fucking weight. Listen to how boring the Final Cut is. It should have just been called the Outtakes because it was just shit they knew nobody wanted to hear on the wall, which is a long enough fucking album. How anyone has the patience to sit there and listen to it straight through and not wonder "when is this shit gonna end already" is beyond me. Dark side of the moon was best, but everything before the wall (back to meddle) was golden. Don't know what point I was getting at, but fuck you and your shit taste in music.

The Final Cut is a better and more cohessive album than the Wall.

I read the posts ITT, lots of vague criticism without really saying anything substantial about the music or lyrics.

Basically, I think most people hate it simply because it doesn't live up to 70's PF. It's like, why even bother with MLoR when we have those much better ones? Sure, it's not nearly as impressive as their work with Waters, but that's kind of expected, especially considering they were getting up their in age and low on ideas. DG's lyrics are pretty banal and don't quite create the same imagery as RW's. Song structures are also simplified to nearly straight up pop, a far cry from their psychedelic prog roots. A lot of people get instantly turned off by the 80's gated reverb drums of that era, but I personally love that sound. Overall I think it's still worth going back to every now and then. There's little things you'll pick up on repeat listens that lead you to appreciate it more.

jesus christ talk about vague commentary. i think it's neat that you're vaguely on the fence about the album, that's fine. but you don't really make a compelling case. it's a loser album and you've a soft heart for it, and that's fine.

this is true.

your opinion is pretty valid, i really can't argue with you on the fact that you like it. i still think the album fails because they didn't really accomplish anything. they tried too hard and the results are just pale and fall really short. it's listenable, but like i said waaaay up at the top of this thread, no band could have survived this record if it was their first. Division Bell is better. but that still puts it at the second worst* PF album of all time, after MLoJudgement.

**UPDATE: Endless River is even worse, putting TDB and MLoJ 2nd and 3rd worst.

Interesting interpretation to what I wrote, but not really accurate. I'm sorry you got offended.

Christgau is such a hack, look at those jumbled-up mess