/p4k/ - Nightly Pitchfork Countdown Hypetrain Thread

Fellow Pitchfork patricians, it is once again the time for our nightly countdown for Pitchfork's new reviews to be updated on the site at 1am eastern time.
10.0?
0.0?
Best New Music?
Best New Reissue?
8.0+ with no BNM?
A shitty set of 7's and below?
Weird Al’s eternal BNM incoming hypetrain!
Noctourniquetcourtsney Barnett Review?
Ian FUCKIN' Cohen?
Ryan "THE TASTEMAKER" Dombal?
Jayson "8.7" Greene?
Brandon “Meme Metal” Stosuy? [retired]
Grayson "Grizzly" Currin?
Brian "Backup" Howe?
Mark "the elder statesman" Richardson?
Evan "IS GARAGE ROCK DEAD" Minsker?
Andy "secretly alpha" Beta?
Zoe "¡DALE!" Camp?
Philip "Electronic Wizard” Sherburne?
Stephen "M." Deusner?
Laura "Sun Kil Buffoon" Snapes?
Jenn "Best New Tastemaker" Pelly
Marc "Not Mark" Hogan
KRIS "Meme Rap" EX
Jillian "they don't love you like I love you" Mapes
Kevin "who needs TMT anyways" Lozano

Will someone dethrone Radiohead/Chance the Rapper’s 9.1 for AOTY?

OFFICIAL and accurate 2016 BNM Tally: 41
Nights since last BNM: 0

The most wonderful time of the night, every night, right now. Here it is, the nightly P4K thread. Time to get comfy.

>P4K Collection Rar (Over 300 deleted reviews, pics of every staff member)
mega.nz/#!l1ZlRbqb!WYbGuia29w1_fpg05XS3F9Rtb8aFfj8WzZg8Z3mbwRQ

>Tonight's Top Stories
-This thread stands with Kesha eternally
-BRANDON STOSUY REVIEWS 22, A MILLION for bandcamp
-Atrocity Exhibition is now out
-G.L.O.S.S. breaks up. Graveyard breaks up.
-This thread hypes and supports DIIV, Danny Brown, Bon Iver, and Steve Hauschildt.
-/p4k/ forever

Other urls found in this thread:

daily.bandcamp.com/2016/09/29/bon-iver-22-a-million-review/
metacritic.com/music/22-a-million/bon-iver/critic-reviews
twitter.com/andrewryce/status/781564690761605121
twitter.com/NSFWRedditImage

This thread stands by the fact that the real Paul McCartney died in a car accident in 1966

reminder

Bon Iver or Danny Brown - 8.7 BNM

This thread stands by & supports Amber Coffman, Jessica Hopper, Ke$ha, Larkin Grimm, Meagan Garvey, Pitchfork, et al

Neurosis 8.0

that Danny Brown shit is not that good man

based on the guy's tweet who's scheduled to review 22, my guess is 9.4+.
danny brown will get 8.5-9.0.

Yeah he said he was crying while writing the review.

who's writing the 22 review?

last two digits divided by 10 is dannys score

that review was for bandcamp..

p a n n e d
a
n
n
e
d

I interpreted that as crying because of the shitstorm of abuse he's gonna receive from Vernon dickriders such as myself after he gives it like a 6.

However it seems nobody really likes the album, shame because its probaly the best record of the decade

Take your bets. Which is getting a higher score: Atrocity Exhibition or 22?

That tweet was for a review he did for bandcamp. Hes not writing the pitchfork review.

daily.bandcamp.com/2016/09/29/bon-iver-22-a-million-review/

22, but AE is better

Everyone fucking loves this album, especially where I live; everyone's freaking out about it.

danny will get higher. indie is over & bon iver trashed beyonce, he will get a 9.0 highest.

lol

I haven't even listened to it, but Pitchfork doesn't actually care about quality. It has 3 BNTs, it's impossible for it to not get a BNM.

This Solange cover is the ugliest thing I've ever seen

lol no just no

You should be arrested for saying such a thing about a strong, independent Black Woman™. Go away you racist, sexist bigot.

where do you live

Eau Claire, Wisconsin

This thread rejects the rape culture hysteria of Amber Coffman, Jessica Hopper, Ke$ha, Larkin Grimm, Meagan Garvey, Pitchfork, et al.

rip

hahahahahaha

this thread actually doesn't

>However it seems nobody really likes the album
?????
metacritic.com/music/22-a-million/bon-iver/critic-reviews

this thread denies that an armenian genocide by the ottoman government ever happened

shoo shoo cenk

This thread rejects the Paris Agreement and thinks global warming is good for the planet

thanks for clearing that up user. my mistake

I'd Solange

AE cause he's black

THAT'S A GOD DAMN LIE

Still on Mt. Dilaudid, Fackelmann?

22 is getting BNM 9.3, in 5 years reissue will get a 10. Screenshot this

I didnt say the last digits of which post so its actually this one

Nicole takesie backsies

if Bon Iver gets a 9+ BNM, I'm quitting P4K forever

good fuckin riddance. if it gets below 9.5 I'm leaving.

Who's gonna get tonight's review, Bon Iver or Danny Brown? And which is gonna get the 9.0 and which the 9.1?

>there will never be another white aoty

mte t bh
twitter.com/andrewryce/status/781564690761605121

lol

FeelsBadManSupremist

Dead Sara - Pleasure To Meet You 8.3 BNM

when did /p4k/ become alt-right?

resident advisor >>>>> p4k

This thread proudly rejects the concept that we should treat dogs or cats with any respect. We celebrate our rights to kick, neglect, or otherwise harm the animals we buy with our own money:

lmao

i really want to know the origins of this meme. it has been years

Holy fuck Bon Iver - 9.8 BNM? this is insane.

this thread supports the building of the Keystone XL pipeline and the proliferation of genetically modified crops and livestock

ebin

BON IVER GOAT 9.0

9.0 BNM

Refresh page

Are you one of the RLM guys?

>tfw bon cuckver gets a 9 and danny will get a 9.1 tomorrow

NIGHTY RUNDOWN
Bon Iver 9.0 BNM by Amanda Petrusich
Mike & Rich 6.6 by Mark Richardson
Thomas Brinkmann 6.9/7.8 by Philip Sherburne
Psychic TV 7.0 by Saby Reyes-Kulkarni

black meme blm rap ccuks on suicide watch. the future is white indie.

REMINDER:
CHANCE > BON BON
LMFAO

I can't believe Radiohead is still tied with chance for AOTY wtf what a time 2 b alive

goodbye user

PANNED
WHITE GUY PROVEN DEAD 2016
BLACK LIVES MATTER
BLACK PEOPLE MAKE THE BEST MUSIC 2016
DANNY BROWN FORTHCOMING 9.5

"lol"

Welp, at this point I think Danny is the only person who can exceed 9.1 (unless Twigs or Arca surprise release something)

Pretty sure they're in Oak Creek

>Amanda Petrusich
whoa she's still around? i remember her writing stuff like 10 years ago. maybe she deserves a spot in the OP

and Mark Richardson and Philip Sherburne? they are bringing out the Old Guard tonite

when the fuck are they gonna review danny

>Mark Richardson and Philip Sherburne
my faves

this is fucking bullshit. the review reads like a 9.5-10. So why just a 9.0? There is no universe in which a bunch of half baked Radiohead tunes is better than this Bon Iver record.

this is just babbys first glitch

They always have a weird ceiling for some reason. This year it's 9.1, last year it was 9.3

Anyone else think AE will end up just tying 9.1?

you're a cuck if you think the point of it is to be a glitchy album. the glitches accentuate the genius

PANNED

I just don't think the glitches are very well done. It's super hackneyed.

"Kanye West once called Vernon his “favorite living artist,” and has long professed a deep and unexpected admiration for “Woods,” the closing track from 2009’s Blood Bank EP, and an obvious precursor to “715 - CRΣΣKS,” itself a kind of warped a capella jam."
>this kind of shitty writing is why p4k is in a absolute landslide decline

>Mike & Rich not getting at least a 7.0

I expected better from you p4k

trips confirms
she wrote the 7+ reviews for Adele and Rihanna's recent albums.

I don't see the problem. Do you object to mentioning Kanye west, the most influential artist of the past decade?

I love both of them but for some reason that album has always rubbed me the wrong way. 6.6 is sorta low tho.

Wow panned

Danny confirmed for 9.4

Is it just that my taste has become more aquired over the years or is this not too experimental at all? Like, it's good and all but it's normal electronica with a folky flavor and some folk ballads. i think everyone is just calling it experimental because it has lots of warped vocals.

Adorable. And Vernon went and made a Kanye influenced album :,)

its not experimental in the least lol. maybe its ""'experimental"" if all your music discoveries come from stereogum or something.

i was right. dubs decided.

for real this is cringey asf

It's experimental normiecore aka it's experimental to your average bon iver listener but not at all in a larger sense. still good though but yeah it's not as weird as people make it out to be, especially when it's just a logical successor to that last volcano choir album.

i don't think armenian genocide denial is an alt right thing, that's a turkish thing.

more like a fairy tale thing bc it never happened.

Its searching is bottomless.

Dinosaur Jr over/under segment is so fucking boring and awkward. Worst one yet.

It's a great album but it'd be nice if Pitchfork threw a 9+ to someone fresh no one's ever heard of, like they did back in their riskier days. Bon Iver, Radiohead, Chance, Frank, Nick Cave, all great albums, but pretty safe picks from artists p4k has put on a pedestal for some time

they did namedrop Francis and the Lights at the end of that review along with all of those artists (minus Nick Cave) and this is their first album so maybe they're next

Me too user but I think that's over, they have their hype cycle down to a science. Give a new artist they like a lot of coverage and some BNTs and give their first album or mixtape an 8.something, then it's safe to give future albums a 9. The last 9 that truly surprised me was Sunbather three and a half years ago.

I thought they had done that with Anohni earlier this year but then I realized it was just Antony

I feel like giving Sun Kil Moon a 9.2 a few years ago was pretty out of nowhere (even though Kozelek's been around for a while)

>Sunbather
but that got an 8.9 user

what the fuck am I doing with my life, correcting people on p4k ratings

True. Personally I haven't been too impressed with Francis, but with Justin and Chance and Kanye singing his praises I'm sure Pitchfork is on board.

Oh damn you're right. So yeah I don't even know the last time a 9 surprised me

it really does get so stale. It's just not realistic to listen to this volume of albums and not have a few crop up that unexpectedly stand out. All of these 9s are exactly who you would think a year ago

That's true, though Mark was someone they used to like a lot back in the early 2000s. I guess I mean like another Arcade Fire, truly out of nowhere high score and AOTY, but that was a long time ago and they were a completely different site, so I'm probably asking too much.

Yeah it's just way too predictable. You can pick 90% of their BNMs months before the first single drops. Like you said there's just so much new music out there constantly, certainly SOMEONE brand spanking new deserves a 9+ and the exposure that would bring.

Disclosure?

i was hoping they'd give ian william craig a super high score just for the fuck of it.

Good call, that was a surprise. They should have at least one of those every year just to break the mold a little.

It's true. If you had told me in late 2014 that the top 10 albums of 2015 would be by Kendrick Lamar, Jamie xx, Grimes, Vince Staples, Tame Impala, Sufjan Stevens, D'Angelo, Miguel, Courtney Barnett and Kamasi Washington — I would not be surprised at all (except for maybe the last two)

Feeling Danny will get an 8.9. Really seems like the type of album they'd give an 8.9

ia

it is getting really good reviews across the board, but not -amazing- reviews. mostly 8s. and ever since they shed their "tastemaker" image, pitchfork is in line with most other music press when it comes to reviews - so i just can't see it getting aoty tb h.

Animal Collective and the Rapture are the only bands to get AOTY from p4k and then have their follow-up album not get a BNM. I thought it might happen to Bon Iver, but I guess not.

I love 9.x days because it brings out the Pitchfork analytics autists like myself and I'm reminded that I'm not the only one who knows way too much about p4k history and trends

u are not alone lad