Cleaning Vinyl with Titebond II Wood Glue

So I gave the highly acclaimed wood glue a go earlier today and am now waiting for the stuff to dry. After seeing some YouTube tutorials and hearing some accounts from more than a share of vinyl collectors, I figure it wouldn't hurt to try it out. I intend to digitize my collection, and several of my records have issues; pops, hisses, skips, et cetera.

My crash test dummy was Judas Priest's "Turbo," perhaps their most ill-received album from their prime. The LP listened fine (not audible cracks or pops), but it skipped in more than a few places and was stuck on loop towards the end of the first song, so I'm hopeful this method would fix that.

For those with experience cleaning LPs via this method, what should I expect? Has it reduced the number of skips?

I've heard some people prep the LP with homemade cleaning solution (usually some concoction of Dawn dishsoap and distilled water) before lathering the glue over the grooves. Does it work without it?

I've heard that it's better to apply the glue liberally to prevent it from getting stuck to the LP, but what if it's a little thick? Will that create an opposite problem?

I appreciate any/all help.

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=55_DQt2lbC8
youtube.com/watch?v=_gyvipBs6Vs
youtube.com/watch?v=ZEXE8pZRyOA
amazon.com/SPIN-CLEAN-COMPLETE-RECORD-WASHER-SYSTEM/product-reviews/B0045ZEU52/ref=cm_cr_dp_d_acr_sr?ie=UTF8
wiki.hydrogenaud.io/index.php?title=Myths_(Vinyl)
youtube.com/watch?v=iGq2NHilCI0
twitter.com/NSFWRedditImage

This won't accomplish anything that a cheap vinyl brush can't and you run the risk of getting shit stuck in the grooves.

Glad I applied it on a crash test dummy. It's no loss if this LP gets ruined because "Turbo" is a dime-a-dozen record.

Why do so many people swear by it?

Also, what brushes do you recommend?

>wood glue
lol enjoy your warped record

Also, what's your secret to keeping your collection clean? What are good habits to keep and what are things to be mindful of?

p-pls help ;_;

you just need a microfiber cloth and alcohol
ppl who do this or spend money on those brushes/solution are idiots

Doesn't isopropyl take away the shine?

>there are idiots out there who do this

Lots of collectors do this.

youtube.com/watch?v=55_DQt2lbC8
youtube.com/watch?v=_gyvipBs6Vs
youtube.com/watch?v=ZEXE8pZRyOA

Only dilute forms of isopropyl work. Pure iso will damage the disc as another guy mentioned.

thoughts on the spin clean?

A lot of those vinyl vacuums are hideously expensive.

Just looked it up. The guy didn't have a great experience using it.

This is better:
amazon.com/SPIN-CLEAN-COMPLETE-RECORD-WASHER-SYSTEM/product-reviews/B0045ZEU52/ref=cm_cr_dp_d_acr_sr?ie=UTF8

It's not a vacuum.

Speaking of which, how safe are vinyl vacuums?

Bump

I use a microfiber towel and some of the tint safe spray window cleaner. I figure if it's biodegradable and tint safe it probably won't degrade vinyl and actually leaves a nice shine instead of drying like isopropyl alcohol.

I use an anti-static velvet brush but if the record is already charged, no amount of cleaning without a static-gun or cleaning/vacuum machine will work.

lol, all my music is digital. Most of it flac actually.

FYI, that means all my music has a higher fidelity than vinyl could ever reproduce and I don't have stupid hipster dipshit problems like time wasted pouring wood glue all over pieces of obsolete black plastic.

Poor bait newfriend

No, sorry.

Why would you need anything other than a brush?

not him but vinyl was replaced by digital because vinyl was an inferior format. he's right when he uses the word obsolete. here's a link comparing vinyl to the lowly 44.1 KHz CD which is now obsolete as well
>Under no legitimate circumstances will the dynamic range of vinyl ever exceed the dynamic range of CD, under any frequency
never mind the even higher resolution 24 bit/192 kHz digital formats we routinely use today. just understand that if you're buying vinyl it's not because it's a higher fidelity format with a superior sound quality to digital music. the sound quality of digital music will be superior to vinyl in every legitimate circumstance, it's an indisputable scientific fact

because there are no advantages to vinyl
>fidelity
>portability
>durability
>ease of use
>storage
>cost (free more or less)
>etc.
in other words obsolete and inferior

>(free more or less)
*with digital

>Not listening to the superior Fore!

>Being this autistic

>digital
+oortability
+archival formats
+storage
+easily acquired
+streaming from phones
-lossy formats
-prone to HDD/SSD crashes
-jigh quality = high storage cost, cutting into portability
-intangible

>vinyl
+tactile
+artwork
+analog mastered records
+warmth of sound
+physical collections
-costly
-non-portable
-no proper archival methods
-prone to wear

Both compliment each other rather well, honestly. I use digital for everyday use, while I'm out, in bed, at work, or just at my desk. Vinyl is for special occasions, social situations, and physical collections. I download everything digital and buy on vinyl if I like it, even though it's more costly. I take great pride in the tactile acquisition of a collection and being able to display it. That's an aspect that should never be underestimated - humans are very social and tactile creatures, and for that reason I don't think physical media will ever truly vanish for the sake of convenience. If I have company over I like to play vinyl instead, since my sound system for that is in the living room. It's communal.

uh no. autism would be more along the lines of buying expensive pieces of round black plastic wrapped in a cardboard sleeve with the buyer being under the false impression that the black plastic disks were higher in sound quality than digital files you could download online for free

I see what you did there

>+analog mastered records
>+warmth of sound
um no
>Some even believe that Vinyl will automatically yield a superior sound, despite the well known technical limitations and disadvantages compared to the CD.
you should have read through the link I provided before you posted, it completely dispels the false idea that there are any advantages to vinyl when it comes to fidelity or sound quality
>+tactile
>+artwork
>+physical collections
the rest of the thing you listed here as pluses don't have anything to do with the the quality of the music or the music itself
>-lossy formats
>-prone to HDD/SSD crashes
>-intangible
these are only problems if you have a sub 70 IQ
>-jigh quality = high storage cost, cutting into portability
..and this one confirms you for a retard. when you compare free digital music + external hard drive with the cost on a limited collection of vinyl records the winner is clear

only reasons to buy vinyl

- you enjoy collecting them
- you want to support the artist by buying their record

people who bitch about sound quality need to be unheard.

what, do you hate fun or something, you dumb bitch?
also you don't properly own an album unless you have the LP

>the only reasons anyone could come up with to buy vinyl have nothing to do with the reproduction of the music itself or its sound quality
this is the point I was making, yes. buy vinyl all you want just don't do it under the premise that you're buying it for any valid reasoning concerning the quality of the music or high fidelity playback

>these are only problems if you have a sub 70 IQ

Presents supposed hard-facts, then makes a quip regarding IQ in an attempt to sound like he's a member of MENSA or some shit.

>supposed hard-facts
lol ok then
hard fact #1: lossy formats are only a problem if you're literally too stupid to download a higher quality file for free
hard fact #2: HDD/SSD crashes would only effect someone too stupid or lazy to back up their files from time to time. there's no legitimate excuse for losing any digital file ever
hard fact #3: music is intangible. what tardy is actually referring to as tangible is the physical information delivery system itself, not the music
>muh round black plastic wrapped in a cardboard sleeve

>Why would I get a poster when I can just download a higher res version of the same picture that 1) is free, 2) takes up no space, 3) can never fade or be damaged, and best of all 4) can be opened at the simple click of a mouse whenever I want!
Posters are an obsolete way of looking at pictures.

>wiki.hydrogenaud.io/index.php?title=Myths_(Vinyl)
>mfw now I'm realizing vinyl is just another shitty meme perpetrated on me by Cred Forums
I'm really starting to fucking hate this board.

>Posters
a more appropriate analogy would be something like books where nothing is gained by having a physical copy but there are advantages gained in cost, portability, storage, etc. by having a digital version

vinyl being an expensive poorly printed large formatted book with the print being prone to extreme fading in sunlight vs. an iPad with everything in the library of congress that you downloaded for free over the internet one weekend

no contest really

Alright, folks. Can we get this back on topic?

The main reason I asked is because thousands of LPs have never been issued on CD (this is particularly true for underground '80s Metal and Punk, my area of interest) and existing downloads floating around online are horrible. Since I've got the hardware to digitize my collection, what are other's experience with wood glue?

>shitty underground '80s Metal and Punk no one cared about because it wasn't good in the first place, my area of unique snowflake interest
>because thousands of LPs have never been issued on CD
gee I wonder why that would be

Lots of bands aren't aware there's an interest in their music, so they haven't found the means to reissue it.

This. Collecting records is fun and their physical presence creates greater engagement than digital.
I've got an unused brush I bought for my mum for her fucked records. I'll have a go now.

>Lots of bands aren't aware there's an interest in their music
yeah the internet keeps it a secret from them

>their physical presence creates greater engagement than digital.
really? how so? I'd love to hear to try and explain this
hard mode, explain this "greater engagement" with the music itself without describing the interaction with the physical information delivery system (the vinyl itself, which is what you're actually referring to)

When people come into my house they like to look at the records. This creates conversations that wouldn't occur otherwise. No one is interested in looking through my foobar library. The fact they are physical creates a memory of what you are listening through the years; as such older records get more frequently remembered.

>look at the records
couldn't do it huh? a "greater engagement" with the music itself would involve listening, something you wouldn't need a physical record for. a conversation created by looking at a physical record & remembering music doesn't equal this "greater engagement" listening experience either. and neither conversation or remembering require a physical record

Quite simply if more conversation about,and listening to, music isn't greater engagement I don't know what is.

>more conversation
no. conversation and listening are two different things. a conversation by definition wouldn't be "greater engagement" with music because it would require you to divert your attention away from the listening experience, literally "lesser engagement" during a listening
oh and you still haven't established how a physical record enables "greater engagement" during listening either. you might want to bother establishing that before embarrassing yourself any further

do you also try to make crystals with bleach and ammonia?

You're autistic. There is no objective way to engage with music. Listening with another allows them to highlight their experience of the music and the facets of the composition they themselves enjoy. You don't have to listen to every second of a piece to engage thoroughly, the music repeats itself throughout. I never stated that listening on vinyl allows greater engagement during listening vis-a-vis digital. It is obvious that digital has a higher fidelity.

>Collecting records is fun and their physical presence creates greater engagement than digital.
>I never stated that listening on vinyl allows greater engagement during listening
no that's exactly what you said. but please feel free to explain how you're engaging with music other than listening

Social engagement. That is clearly what I was referring to when I elaborated in my second post.

>Also, what's your secret to keeping your collection clean?
If you take care of your shit, your house is clean, and you handle things properly, you shouldn't have any issues whatsoever. It's not that fucking hard.

Alright, I used the brush on an old LP that crackled. It didn't address the crackles but may have improved playback. All I can conclude is that it is no miracle solution.

Bro, dust and shit happens, especially to people who have actual lives or work for a living. I'm not an autist so I can't sit there and clean every inch of my huge fucking house every day. I don't have time for that.

>Social engagement
no sorry. engagement with another person isn't engagement with music. you originally claimed that a vinyl records physical presence created "greater engagement" than digital
are you now claiming this "greater engagement" has nothing to do with music but is social instead?
because that would would invalidate your original claim

You're getting the wrong end of the stick. The original statement stated the physical presence of vinyl created greater engagement. How does physical presence create greater engagement with the music itself? It doesn't. That is obvious. Where it does create greater engagement is due to the fact its tangible and on display and people will notice and discuss it as opposed to a digital collection that no one will ever look it. Thus there is greater engagement with the music as a social experience as there would be in the digital format.

The other thing: interacting with people face-to-face is quite different than communicating online. In fact, real-life interactions reveal more about the person in a short period of time than years of chatting with some dork you became acquainted with on a message board. You can see their body language and hear their tone of voice which even Skype video chats don't capture.

>The original statement stated the physical presence of vinyl created greater engagement
yeah. social engagement and not engagement with the music like you originally claimed
>How does physical presence create greater engagement with the music itself? It doesn't. That is obvious.
exactly, at least you're now admitting your original claim was complete bullshit
>people will notice and discuss it
>Thus there is greater engagement with the music as a social experience
once again no. people noticing and discussing music isn't engagement with music, it's engagement in noticing and discussion, you've already admitted this. social engagement isn't engagement with music either which you've also admitted
you've invalidated all your own arguments

Does this even need to be explained?

I'm asking sincerely.

Is this whole autism thing we all joke about here really actually widespread and shit like that actually does need to be explained?

I worry for the future.

I disagree with what you are saying. You are setting up a strawman, but as this argument is going to the point of sickness there is no point continuing. Goodbye.

here, I'll make it easy for you to accept losing the argument. this is your argument which you've now invalidated yourself
>there is "greater engagement" with the music as a physical format than there would be if it was a digital format

>There is "greater engagement" with the music as a physical format than there would be if it was a digital format
...and there is: social engagement. Good day.

>implying theres only one way to enjoy / engage with music

If your preferred method is to listen music without pesky humans interfering fine, cool, go on with your bad ass self until you die alone, happy in your smug superiority

But for others, listening to music is an experienced best shared (why do you think bleep bloop shows are a thing?).

Believe it or not, yes.

The internet has become a regular fixture in our lives, so people who spend hours of their day mainlining on the internet (either via cellphones or desktops/laptops) can forget that the person they're interacting with may be lying entirely. Everyone likes to complain how we lack transparency, but they fail to see that people withhold information (or flat out lie) in even the most mundane of human interactions, much less complex facets like geopolitics.

>social engagement
once again no. the engagement would be with another person not music. hence the word "social" instead of "music"
>engage with music
lol, please explain another way of engaging with music other than listening

So does this method work?

this is the proper way to clean a record
youtube.com/watch?v=iGq2NHilCI0

>Goodbye
>Good day.
Tippity Top Kekā„¢

Holy fuckin' shit, you decided to run away like a bitch because you've obviously realized he could keep on explaining how you're wrong and why you lost the argument for the rest of the day.

You actually learned something today, get your bitch ass back in here and thank this man for fuckin' your weak shit up like a boss.

Vinyl does not sound better than digital.

Collecting records is fun.

Everyone shut the fuck up.

It's not really worth it, unless there's no other way to clean the record. Yes, the record will be very clean after doing this, but if you mess it up the record can be ruined. It also takes very long for the glue to dry (~24h). I don't know if all glues do this, but some leave dried strands of glue behind, this just means that you'll have to clean your stylus after playing the record.

If you have some really dirty records I'd suggest you use one of those overpriced cleaning machines. Try asking your local record store, they might have one that you can use. Using dish soap will also work, use warm water and clean the record with one of those microfiber cloths meant for sunglasses. To get the soap off you need to use pressurised water... most faucets should be able to do this. To dry it, use a cotton towel or something else that doesn't leave particles behind and has good soaking properties. Then just leave the record in an upright position for 10-30 minutes.

Most labels can take some water, so you don't really need to worry if some water gets on them. Just gently dry them with a towel, don't rub. If you have any older records (late 80's and older) be wary of red labels, those tend to bleed the colour.

Is wood glue edible? if i eat some will it clean my throat?

Try some, it's delicious!

It's simple science when it comes to wood glue. Your only concern is making sure it doesn't get on the label.

Interesting

why does ownership of an album matter in the slightest? unless you're reselling later.

>Huey Lewis
mah nigga

You're record shouldn't get dusty if it's in a sleeve. That's pretty much the purpose of the sleeve: to keep the dust off of it. It shouldn't get dusty in the amount of time you're playing the record either. There's no reason to clean vinyl.

holy shit I bet you're a massive cunt in real life