/gg/ - Guitar & Bass General

'I can't even make a thread, let alone fix the Bass Method link, just put me out of my misery already' edition

>How long have you been playing?
>Fav guitars?
>Fav guitarists?
>Projects?
>Talk about and play music
>General guitar and bass discussion

Beginner information and FAQ:
reddit.com/r/Guitar/wiki/index

Beginner guitar tutorials:
justinguitar.com/

Guitar chords and inversions
chordbook.com/guitar-chords/

String tension calculator (D'Addario-based):
hikkyz.net/misc/stringassembler/

Music theory:
musictheory.net/lessons

Hal Leonard's Motherfucking Bass Method:
mediafire.com/file/sayviwqxfcxfjon/

--

Steve Vai's Ten Hour Workout
>mediafire.com/download/kzw6kjuocgicwks/Ten_Hour.pdf

Guthrie Govan's Creative Guitar 1 & 2
>mediafire.com/download/bn8803xzlrbds3b/Guitar1.rar
>mediafire.com/download/9uhtufuf3z9cx8m/Guitar2.rar

Advancing Guitarist - Mick Goodrick
>mediafire.com/download/cvfno10fv4lf4a8

Chord Chemistry - Ted Greene
>mediafire.com/download/61n5op7eiifxztg

Mickey Baker's Jazz Guitar
>mediafire.com/download/zq35xorj2iaqh22

Modern Chord Progressions: Jazz and Classical Voicings for Guitar - Ted Greene
>mediafire.com/download/oflu4wdwofhqqtb

Jazz Guitar: Single Note Soloing Vol. 1 & 2- Ted Greene
>mediafire.com/download/07o65qdh5in1nsq
>mediafire.com/download/jmu86f7dj8bdxcd

Impulse Response Pack
>mediafire.com/download/svtfxjtillrdwt8/Gods Cab 1.3.rar
>mediafire.com/download/4n28zkjw0zgmdj9/ASEM RECTO V30 L2.wav

previous thread (not counting my horrendous fuckups):

Other urls found in this thread:

discord.gg/9MKcGT8
youtu.be/s4Yb_vf-Qfo
clyp.it/zlkrf0pi
davesguitar.com/products/fender-custom-shop/masterbuilt-nos-mustang-13/
youtu.be/1kTxiCCxOJQ),
twitter.com/Ruina_swan7/status/774573094270668800
offsetguitars.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=7&t=33498
plectrum.ch/product/the-original-anvil-polycarbonate
amazon.com/Silvertone-Guitar-Package-Liquid-Black/dp/B0002D0HZ8/ref=cm_cr_arp_d_product_top?ie=UTF8
clyp.it/zxq1gq2y
youtube.com/watch?v=O63DAuSUDLU
aaronlumguitar.blogspot.com/2015/01/bass-cut-tone-pot-get-some-clarity-out.html
mediafire.com/file/sayviwqxfcxfjon/
soundcloud.com/airbornmartin/don-henley-boys-of-summer-airborn-reboot
youtube.com/watch?v=LKBQ_sEG04A
twitter.com/SFWRedditGifs

Thx for fixing the link.

pls

i beg you

Anybody have a pdf of Mick Goodrick's Almanac of Guitar Voice Leading?

Jump in the /GG/ Discord chat, we have sound check and jam voice channels now that I tested this morning, they work as good as your connection.

discord.gg/9MKcGT8

>keep thinking about buying a classical because the sound is enjoyable
>one of my favourite bands releases a new track and there's a lot of nylon
I feel pressured by some invisible forces of nature. If only they could pressure money in my pocket as well.

linking the track too because why not
youtu.be/s4Yb_vf-Qfo

This sounds fun but I'm at work :-/

no worries, I'm trying to throw it into each new thread when I can, hopefully there's enough members that if you ask someone can give you an invite link if I can't

What does /gg/ think of buckeye burl finishes?

Thanks m8

they're my favourites, especially with a light stain
i don't give a shit if someone doesn't like them though

it should be made apart of the /gg/ copy pasta.

Speaking of Strandbergs
>Be me
>Save money up
>Want to buy poplar burl strandberg
>They don't fill in the holes like literally every other company

Why

I'll check it out, how many bassists do you guys have?

I think that looks pretty neat.

Spalted maple also looks really neat, especially with a translucent colour on top.

well I play bass in addition but I don't think anyone's exclusively bass

If you generate a permanent link, putting it in the OP makes sense.

Then I'll be the first one I suppose.

That one should be permanent, it's worked since yesterday

Let's play Guess That Riff.

Bass edition: clyp.it/zlkrf0pi

>animals as leaders

As soon as GS returns.

How long before /gg/ turns into a shit slinging-fest again.

Hey guys tell me what telecaster and quirky boutique pedal I need to buy to properly play shoe gays

I kinda miss Gearspammer

People around here are dumb, it was possible to stop him in his spamming tracks if you just started asking him about gear, and he had lots and lots of knowledge about super osbcure and great sounding gear.

He was a fun guy honest.

u need a jazzmaster or a jaguar
everything from earthquaker devices and old blood noise endeavors

>inb4 people start shitting on your ampeg again

You need three different reverb pedals and five fuzzes.

that bass-only edition was the best we've had in years

You're welcome.

This is pretty fucking cool
davesguitar.com/products/fender-custom-shop/masterbuilt-nos-mustang-13/

i like it better without the fill

>tfw you will never own a nip boden j custom shop
>Tfw they are all over 6k

tone

No one?

Can someone explain the appeal of a headless, fanned fret guitar? Not trolling, I've literally never seen one anywhere but on here

Eh, I only payed the price of the vintage 30 that's in it, cheap gear is good gear.

What a fucking cesspool of autism it was.

This is actually pretty cool, reminds me of East African music.

Okay so what's going on? Some venues I play at, when I switch on my distortion pedal I get an awful squealing that I unfortunately have to tame with a noise suppressor. Other venues I play, (perhaps coincidentally it's usually outdoor gigs) I can switch on the distortion and it's absolutely quiet and I get to enjoy all the beautiful richness of volume swells and subtle harmonics and more sustain.

>wall of costanza
>suddenly, gaben

Alright you absolute mad lads, I've a question. I just bought a big pack of 0000 steel wool and I've heard about people using it to scrub once or twice their frets to remove gunk and make them shine. My first question is can I scrub the fretboard too with the 0000 steel wool? If not, should I tape off the fretboard (I don't have the fret guards from StewMac)? If so, what kind of tape should I use? Also, is it safe to use 0000 steel wool anywhere else on the guitar (e.g. headstock, body, etc.)

Thanks

>can I scrub the fretboard too with the 0000 steel wool?

No, there's less harsh ways to clean a fretboard

>If not, should I tape off the fretboard

Yes, blue painters tape is fine, also tape off your neck pickup if you're going to be polishing your frets the residue can stick to your pickups. I would also recommend some metal polish to make your frets extra smooth. Flitz is a good one.

Hey, thanks bud. About cleaning a fretboard, how about using a brillow pad? I know about Dunlop 01 and 65 for rosewood.

Thanks for the recommendation.

Pretty interesting song.
Dislike the picking tone on the classical in addition to sounding a little honky(piezo?)
All just sounds unnatural.
Definitely grab one though, get one with a solid top and make it your main instrument. Look up some techniques guitarists use playing classical guitar for inspiration on how to best use what is the essence of guitarto its fullest.
William Kanengiser has some good "instructional" videos out there. They're more like informal master classes, but contain great technique information.

Literally dirty electric.
You're running on the same circuit as light and fans and other objects which introduce hum.
There are devices out there that claim to "clean-up" the electricity like HumX, but I can't be positive if that actually works since I play exclusively acoustically(mic'd when needed)

>There are devices out there that claim to "clean-up" the electricity like HumX
Yeah I have a couple of those and honestly I've never been sure they do a damn thing.

So who here actually jumped the Fender ship when they were supposed to and moved on to G&L?

>>Tfw they are all over 6k
wait, won't there be other runs ?

headless means less weight on the neck, so you can take out some weight out of the body too without risking neck dive. Some say it also leads to more a more stable tuning; and I've heard people say it gives more sustain.
Fanned fretting is definitely a neat thing though, it's there because each string on the guitar has a different scale lenght(multiscale), which makes the low strings less thick. It also follows a more natural kind of angle for your hand, especially on small fans like 24.75"-25.5".

I really like how they've completely toned down the djent/metal elements and put forward the more progressive approach, I hope the rest of the album will follow that vein.

yeah I don't like it either, they had the same sound on an older nylon track (youtu.be/1kTxiCCxOJQ), but it fit the song better as it was more energetic
No idea why they went with it.
Thanks for the suggestion though, I always enjoy learning new techniques so I will definitely check that out.

Wouldn't that be electrical interference instead ? Like unshielded pickup cavities ?

>Wouldn't that be electrical interference instead ? Like unshielded pickup cavities ?
I've put shielding tape in my pickup cavities but I didn't bother putting any under the pots and pickup selector because it seemed like too much of a pain in the ass. I also stuffed foam in the pickup cavities to fill them out like Satch does to prevent the pickups from rattling around and making microphonics, though a better solution is probably to just pot the pickups.

I didn't cause I'm gay.

>spending more on your guitar than your amp

ISHYGDDT

I've got a dumb, additional question about nylon; does prevent/impair economy picking and "lazy" legato where you don't even pick the note because you just tap it ? I do that a lot on electric and it would kinda mess with me not being able to do that.

I guess it kinda leaves an "entry point" of some sort, it may be worth trying to do it. At worst you'll lose some time and a few pennies.

it makes sense if you're a bedroom player, I don't see the point in spending over 500$ for an amp that no one will listen to.

Post your boards, /gg/
Yesterday I got a big muff, replaced the boss ds1 with the thing. Sounds incredible. Need a compressor soon, though.

What does Cred Forums think of my bass?

If you're talking small amps fair enough but I just don't get why people on this board pair a $2k Les Paul with a cheap half stack.

>mikro
it's like you thought a GIO wasn't shit enough so you decided to do worse and go for a short scale on top
enjoy your muddy wet farts i guess

damn user are you a Boris fan?

your set-up and pedal selection are classy as f-u-g

you get a gold star

20 dollar thrift shop bass?

>$2k Les Paul with a cheap half stack.
I don't think I've seen one
the most retarded was an ibanez prestige and a 15w practice amp, but that's a tripfag and tripfags are always dumb

Physically can't play anything larger than short-scale.
Feelsbadman

;^)

unless you have an actual disability, you're a little bitch, or have a seriously bad technique

what he fuck

why wouldnt you?

If by physical disability you mean shorter than 5'. I guess so.

I know a guy who wears size 5 shoes and plays a 24-fret 6-string Ibanez bass

Rika mm from Melt-Banana was like 4'9" and plays a full scale Warwick

Don't be a bitch.

So you're just being a little bitch. People play with mangled hands and missing arms, you shouldn't complain about something that's not even physical, but rather just poor technique.
Get your thumb on the back, hold your bass higher, and man up.

Is that dual rectifier going into a a marshall 4x10 ? if so that's fucking awesome

Famalam, I literally can't reach the 3rd fret standing. Sorry for being a bitch.

Thank you, and I'm really into king gizzard and fuzz

Tfw electric becomes upright bass because people on Cred Forums think it's somehow more convenient than just using a shorter scale.

Playing long or short scale should be a choice, not a crutch.

>Other runs

I'm not talking about the boden J you can buy on the strandberg site, im talking about the Boden J custom shop, you can only get them on eBay

Damn bro. Nice

is that a hardwood pedalboard? fuckin nice man tone for days

Nah. $500 mexistrat

Sorry that was a misquote, was directed at Strats are cool mang

I don't really use a pick on my classicals because the top isn't protected and they're built lighter so it wouldn't take much to damage it.
The response is definitely different, try growing out your nails(just a bit, bevel them to the right side) to see if you like the sound that produces compared to a pick.

My amp sucks tho it's like a gay practice spectrum I got for $20

I also bought a hella cheaps $90 LP special and restring and buffed all the scratches. Plays pretty good and looks like total ass.

Go ahead laff it up

80's Japanese squier strat, for $400. Should I buy?

I like mexican Fenders, my main instrument is a mexican Fender Jazz Bass.

I am not laffin'

Should get a decent amp before getting so many nice ass pedals though man... haha.

I play a 2000£ bass through a 5w SS practice amp, come at me!

Gotta start somewhere

user I have nothing against you but your set-up is kinda gay.

Too clean? I guess, add some noise and shit to it mang. What do you play?

You get a silver star though cause I like you.

fingerstyle and electric blues

>fingerstyle

A-user I said I like you but not in that way...

I just found out resin cast wood exists

Is it possible to build a guitar body out of this stuff?

Stutterposter go.

Needs more everything

Anyone here just likes playing fast over playing technical? I'm jamming along to shit like Pantera - Fucking Hostile, and Gojira - In The Forest right now, anyone got some suggestions for some similar songs?

You can make a guitar with fuckin' anything, I can't imagine a guitar made out of that being anything other than heavy as fuck though.

It's all about pedalboard tonewoods.

Nah bro. Pedals are forever and rl easy to mod/transport everywhere. Just need a backpack and my board is with me wherever I go

Damn wtf nigga

That's sick as fuck

will a Strat body that used to have a 7.25" radius neck on it stock be able to hold a 9.5" radius replacement neck?

ha-ha that's so quirky and funny that your stutter extends to typing as well :-)

You too are gonna have to start using a new picture user...

Needs a Crocodile Tail Loop tbqh

T-that's right, just like your autism extends to your posting too, a-user.

>620 bucks

ffffuck that noise, mang

so absolutely kawaii of you user-kun :333333

I will, maybe tomorrow

this so much

why the fuck are pedals so expensive anyway? correct me if im wrong but its just a circutboard and switches in a box??? like wtf? are marketers just stealing from us cause they can? I think 100 dollars is retarded for a pedal. I can get a modern computer CPU for that price. can somebody explain this theft to me?

Visiting family in another city and decided to check out some pawn shops. I found this thing. They had it labeled as a Mexican standard and wanted $370 for it.

I checked out the serial, actually not a standard. Its a Jimmy Vaughn signature (sells these days for $850 new). I confirmed it was working and in good condition and then took it home. Came with the fender HSC. Plays wonderfully. I think I did bretty gud.

Going to be in studio tomorrow, anyone want any drum loops recorded?

Rock/metal styles.
Can do blasts.

Product development isn't free

Sure man, I'd love some metal/sludge stuff in 6/8 or 3/4 if you can. Why're offering though? Just out of the goodness of your heart?

heck yeah

My band actually has a song in 6/8 so no problem can do.

Just feeling nice.

Just do blasts on the china as fast as you possibly can for a few measures.

Awesome. Are you gonna post clyp or some other means?

Then a 32nd note fill in 3/4 at 80bpm yeah?

I'll upload it wherever, I have a full set of mics with condensers, and a 24 track mixer going into a PC so i can get it done well.

What picks are these?

twitter.com/Ruina_swan7/status/774573094270668800

Red Gretsch Jet Club for $270. Should I go for it?

Sick dude, I'll look out for it in a couple days then

Someone sells stone picks at a local guitar store for like $20. Should I fall for the meme and pick one up?

Sure, why not

Would it be worth blowing a bunch of money I've saved up on a Martin D18, D28 or D35, resulting in me living on instant ramen for at least two months?

What's a decent acoustic archtop that won't bankrupt me?

I'm in 985/504 area. New Orleans. Anyone want to jam tonight? North shore.

If you primarily play acoustic guitar then yes. I don't and bought a nice martin and now it spends most of its time in the case.

only if you can fingerstyle

If that's how you manage your finances you have bigger things to worry about.

Dumb question incoming- would a normal jazzmaster bridge or mustang bridge fit on a cp jazzmaster? I recall the tune-o-matics being smaller

No, but if you have a drill you can easily mod one to fit, you just have to drill out the posts

I'm primarily a bass player, but I've been thinking of getting in to some John Fahey, folk and bluegrass stuff for months now.
Fingerstyle all the way.

Short answer: No. But it's possible to mod a bridge without fucking up the body or anything.

Long answer: offsetguitars.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=7&t=33498

Gretsch Jet Club for $270. Should I go for it?

Is it new?

Need more info.

Passive or active pickups, all original parts? Laminate or solid? Gretsch usually makes nice guitars. Im saving up for one now.

> I've been thinking of getting in to some John Fahey, folk and bluegrass stuff for months now.

You can go a long way with a cheaper guitar. Many of those old folk blues guys used cheap guitars anyways. The Martin X series is nice and you can find them all day around $400.

(:V)

>you just have to drill out the posts

Nothing could possibly go wrong

mim strat or mim tele bros?

Just wait for a beat up MiA model to show up on reverb

are the pickups and string the only things that technically contribute to the sound (aside from the amp and peripherals)?

can i put seymour duncan pickups in a guitar and have it sound somewhat like a les paul?

>apples or pears bros?
>just get a banana

>:|

Darn. Is there such a thing as a tune-o-matic bridge cover?

Dude. Have You never heard of tonewood?

Yes faggot

>Is it new?

It's listed as new.

>Passive or active pickups?

Passive.

>Laminate

It says it's laminated.

>all original parts

It doesn't say. But I would assume they're original since it's new.

but if i get a used mim i can get it for even less than a beat up mia

tfw college student budget

I know i've seen somebody post this and this andthis before. Am I going crazy?

it would be better to have it as a top

i asked about strat vs tele last thread but nobody replied

the analogy i just made up though, but it's not a totally new saying

Considering moving my phaser to before my distortions because I just discovered how glorious putting a fuzz after a phaser sounds.
How is the Germanium muff? I've never played one.
All you really need to play anything. Have you ever considered getting a muff pi or a nano big muff to save even more space?
This looks like a glorious mess. What pedal have you been loving most recently?

Dude, fucking nice find.

>my turn to play a fill

It might just be that I haven't slept for like 24 hours.

EHX Freeze, but it'll change every day. It's not as much of a mess as you might think desu, everything's in order.

Do you just want a new bridge so you can use a bridge cover?

>flirtinwithdisaster.flac

is it that bad?

Whats the best custom guitar under 2k?

I like skervesens but they are too expensive

Probably Kiesel.

Carvin probably.

Hivemind

Yes, I don't actually have the CP JM though, I just have a squier now

I don't care if it's a meme or not

That is a beautiful piece of wood

I've always wanted a freeze for drone, seems pretty cool.

20 hours awake ~= 0.05 BAC in terms of functionality. you're not intoxicated but youre sloppy

the only way to maintain functionality is cocaine. how do you think the rolling stones put out basically one album per year from 68-81 on top of constantly touring?

tldr go to sleep nigger

Everything fits like a glove in my case and I'm not planning on buying any more pedals so I don't really need extra space.

The original BMPs also look more aesthetically pleasing than the smaller counterparts

They look custom(given the account name I'm inclined to think that) but these are very similiar
plectrum.ch/product/the-original-anvil-polycarbonate

Wait I just found a swan for 2350
It's beautiful lads

The germanium muff is prudy gud.
Fav thing on it is the volt nob that chokes how much power the muff gets and makes it more compressed and smooshed. When you really choke it like no safe word choking it gets really weird and cuts in and out randomly.

that looks like someone took a sawzall to a prs

Well I'm gonna post more pics of beautiful buckeye burl

Guitarists are dumb.

Fuck man. You're probably right but i's hard to sleep and I have shit I need to finish.

>Number of strings: 6-string

Anything over 12 string is meme tier.

Would it be possible to get a straight up white as snow fretboard? I was thinking of maybe using bleached holly or some kind of white carbon fiber but I can't find anyone who's tried to do this.

It's possible but idk how

Good luck getting past the fifth fret unless you have massive fucking hands.

Post more sexy fuzz pedals
I agree with you there, NYC big muffs are so sexy.

Stand up and custom build not pictured.

Why two swollen pickles?
Going to pick one up next weekend.

How's that Schecter 8 string sound? Would you be able to post clyp?

what is the space pedal you have there?

Sounds awesome. Give me a bit and i'll work somethin up

my Abominable Electronics Demon Lung, the only Boss FZ-2 Hyper Fuzz (used by Electric Wizard) clone on the market. This thing fucking destroys.

W-what's the big thing on the right?

5 string electric standup

It's a painted Ernie Ball VP Jr

Anyone answer pls?

Yes

How's the Douglas sound i have the rogue lx 406 and it doesn't seem to have enough output in passive mode.

Wasnt she fired from that one nip band?

It's sort of pleasant, but it's forgettable and doesn't do much for me. Hopefully the album doesn't end up as boring and uninspired as Weightless. Maybe they're one of those bands that can only put out a good album every other release

next one should be bass only again

I had one and a big muff and a friend traded me the big muff for his swollen pickle. I have the internal pots set up opposite so they sound very different from each other.
Those look so sick. FZ-2's had such a unique tone I'm surprised that it took Electric Wizard using them to make them desirable.
Not painted, duct taped. I'm not talented enough to paint that haha.

For 200 bucks it's worth it. Been pretty damn solid for this band ive been working on. With how nice it is im honestly mad i didnt pony up a little extra dough and buy a better model. It did get a slight buzz on the second string after a few weeks but nothin unfixable

Is anyone still lurking in that discord thing?

I do occasionally

TelecAster are better even for memegaze

Want to try and jam for a few minutes?

Want to try jamming for a few minutes?

I swear i saw this post last night am i fucking going crazy

Made a note chart for myself and thought I might share with /gg/. I have the flats version along with the same for 5 string bass if anyone wants them. I can make any variation on this chart as well, in any tuning or string configuration. A 7 string guitar version is next up.

I keep my acoustic tuned to DADDAD, with the middle two strings at the same pitch. Memorizing the fretboard was ezpz.

>not using ostrich tuning for maximum fretboard comfyness

Behringer has a FZ-2 Clone that sounds amazing for like 25 bucks.

Superior chart coming through.

I get
>gee bill two swollen pickles
All the time so I've probably posted something similar in regards to why I have two

What was your first guitar?
do you still own it?

Epiphone Bully SG
I wish

yes

i really need to get some sleep

C's up B's down

>he got a gibson as his first guitar

I envy you.

Try tuning a spare guitar in a consistent tuning like all Perfect Fourths or all Major Thirds and work out basic Major/minor/diminished/augmented chords, and go through scales to understand how the fretboard repeats. You can then do away with those charts and tabs.

I'll never understand why standard tuning throws in a Major third in the middle of all those Perfect fourths...it makes the fretboard really biased to particular keys and "good enough" for the rest...maybe the guy who invented it loved the key of G...lol, who knows...

I encourage you to continue using musical notation. GL with your studies babbies ;)

It was my dad's when he was a kid, but he never learned how to play it. Luckily he didn't get rid of it and it sat in a basement for 40 years
every time

Nice, how does it play?
I wish I had gotten some cool family instrument, but my dad only played trumpet.

I really love it. The neck is a bit chunky and feels super comfy. It holds tuning for like weeks too. I think it sounds great, but it's the only acoustic I've spent much time with. I don't have much to compare it to.

What model is it?

Who /rondo/ here?

J-45, from 1967

What a shitty chart. It only goes up to the 3rd fret until the high E string so it doesn't tell you anything about higher positions.

The major third is in there so the top and bottom strings are tuned the same. It also makes voicing chords a lot easier. The only keys it's really hard on are flat keys, but it's not terribly hard if you learn it. Or you can tune in flat keys, which is what a lot of bands do. I already know theory so this is merely to memorize where the notes are. I'm used to playing cello which is tuned in fifths.

Picked up a Taylor 214e deluxe today. A bit over my budget but I got it at a used price in mint condition as far as I can tell. I tried out at least 20 different guitars today and the Taylors specifically had a very big and scary sound which was great.

That actually looks pretty nice. Would still rather get an Epi Sheraton though.

How much?

please do, I think octave basses are cool. Didnt even know schecter made them

I would like that 5 string bass version

$700. Budget was $500 but there was absolutely nothing even close to this one as far as the sound I was looking for.

Damn, you're making me want one.

Literally every Taylor was amazing and everything else sounded like kiddy crap in comparison except a few of the Martins. Like I've never fanboyed for a guitar brand before but the difference was stark as hell. And I walked out with the cheapest Taylor they had. If anyone asks for acoustic recommendation in the future I know what I'll tell them.

What would be some disadvantages from tuning a guitar all in 4ths?

Besides re-learning scales, and arpeggio shapes, I can't think of any.

I'm thinking about getting a Mexican hsh strat. Thoughts?

Less range

>Less range

it increases range a semitone over standard tuning

lock the trem and they're great guitars

It would give you more range desu senpai

E-A-D-G-B-E is standard

E-A-D-G-C-F is all fourths

C and F don't fit into chord shapes as easily.
The major third is nice for playing high melody lines with together with the same frets.
High F string might break more or be too thin.
Have to memorize the notes of two new strings, whereas E is already on the bottom and B can be a 7th string (or 5th on bass).
E and F along with B and C on the open and first frets is more versatile than F to F# and C to C#.
Having both top and bottom strings the same notes is easier.
Standard tuning notes all fit within E minor or G major more easily.

Enjoy man.

Anyone have anything bad to say about Schecter guitars? Specifically the Demon 6. I played one at the guitar shop nearby and really enjoyed it. Considering getting one at the end of October. I'm an intermediate player and my current guitar is a 70 dollar RadioShack special. Time to upgrade.

Great guitars with beautiful finishes.

Also, their necks are really smooth and a joy to play.

My one friends trying to scare me off passive pick ups, specifically the ones in the demon. You have any idea why?

Passive pickups send a low output, raw signal to the amp that can only be affected by the volume and tone controls on the instrument itself. Passive pickups tend to lose the extremes of high and low frequencies, but still give a very even and punchy tone. This is because passive pickups tend to push out more midrange frequencies. While passive pickups might give players less dynamic control, their smooth sound is still very unique and desirable.

how are the mim teles?

Wouldn't it be easier though to learn one chord shapes/intervals and have it work across all sets of strings though?

The only thing I can think of that would be slightly trickier is the fingerings for a closed 7 chords

pretty good all around, the fret edges could use some work but other than that it's great.

nothing bad to say, every one i've played felt fine but i've never loved any of them.

if your friend is like me, then he had a cheap guitar with "duncan designed" pickups similar to those in the demon, just sound like shit (the ones i had at least)
as for passive v active, I have no idea why he would dislike passive over active. i would say they have their own strengths, if anything active pickups have a stigma around them due to the EMG 81's popularity and perception of having a sterile tone that only works for metal

Thinking of getting this as a starter bass kit. What does Cred Forums think? Is this good quality for a starter?

I've never tried a bass but always wanted one and I just feel like it's something I could get good at. I'm pretty dumb when it comes to the technical aspect of things as I've never had the chance to play around with one. I want to get this package because it includes an amp, guitar and tuner in the same package for a good price. I don't even know how to tune the thing so having an electric tuner should help. Keep in mind, I might get it and realize after a few weeks that it's just for me so I don't want to spend hundreds and hundreds on a starter.

amazon.com/Silvertone-Guitar-Package-Liquid-Black/dp/B0002D0HZ8/ref=cm_cr_arp_d_product_top?ie=UTF8

Also, I've asked this before but making sure. To my knowledge, unlike an electric guitar, a bass guitar doesn't require any fancy pedals to play something like death metal or black metal and get those tones, correct? Considering those are the main genres I have interest in and mostly what I would care to play. I mean I'd like to play funk and punk as well, but I know ultimately that I prefer metal.

no idea about that one but I liked my ibanez starter set. Still have the bass

Glitch pedals are so much fun

clyp.it/zxq1gq2y

do you think it would make a good first electric? or should i go with a strat?

its probably fine, but i'd recommend getting some used gear to start

you can get way better stuff for the same price you would spend on economy level new gear

I think most of their models are ugly, that's the only thing I don't like about Schecters.

that's absolute utter nonsense but I'm starting to like nonsense nowadays. what's the pedal ?
also that image is stupid, but Maggot Colony sounds pretty dope so thanks.

youtube.com/watch?v=O63DAuSUDLU

Damn, why's every glitchy/noisy pedal so expensive
that spring thing is ridiculous too

SC bass on the left (holdover until I can do a warmoth build) and an Agile 2500 on the right. I'm extremely pleased with the Agile, it's easily better than any epiphone I've played, paint finish and what not notwithstanding. The SX is ok, I tossed on some quarter pounders and a custom ii jazz pickup I had laying around, added new pots, and installed a good high mass. I was able to get the intonation perfect and the action low, so for the $200 I have in it it will tide me over well enough.

Not bad guitars as such, but they feel sterile to me, its like comparing a hospital bed in a white room vs the comfort of your own bed and home if that makes sense.

awww yiss. post mememachines goobys

Looking at this deal online - squier rosewood strat with a 30w peavey amp for $175

if i could get the seller down to $100-125 would this be a good deal? i already have a decent acoustic (seagull s6) but i want something i can bend on and play a few lead licks here and there.

Yeah you could, but I wouldn't use that material for anything else than a veneer/cap, because that would be a hell of a heavy guitar.

For that price it isn't bad, but one thing to consider is if its a post or pre 2010 model. if its older than 2010 and assuming its stock, it will have the older electromatic pickups which are plain shite, but if its younger than 2010 it will have the better sounding upgraded pups.

All around build quality on the Korean made Gretsch guitars are really good bang for the buck, especially second hand.

whether you want a strat or a tele is on you, I don't like how strats look though.

Thinking about getting this guitar, tried it out once and it's actually surprisingly versatile for a single pickup guitar

985/Hammond/LA, what were you thinking?

I've had a Spectrum strat knock off for about 9 years now and I absolutely love that thing

>/gg/ babbys afraid of a few pounds
you guys probably ask your mommies to pour you a glass of milk because the gallon jug is too heavy and you always make a big mess with it

It has the bass cutoff knob right ? That thing is underrated.

Lamb of God - The Faded Line
Battlecross - Force Fed Lies
Testament - The New Order

less weight is always more comfortable
I still don't understand why there's only one thin production model, it's not even something new and unseen, it dates back to the late 80s I think

How much hiss is normal/acceptable in a setup? The preamp in my bass introduces a bit of hiss and the pedalboard does as well, in total it's very quiet compared to the actual volume of my playing obviously, but if I focus I can hear it slightly in the background.

Is that normal? Does anyone care?

The average stratocaster is 7 - 8 pounds give or take, this Lucite Strat' weighs 18 pounds.

I can't imagine that would be much fun to use standing up for long periods of time, so please project harder tell me I am being unrealistic.

Yeah it has a bass roll off knob, looks tasty as fuck too, goes for like €650.

>this Lucite Strat' weighs 18 pounds
[citation needed]

top kek

I was interested in a Reverend Jet Stream and a local music shop started stocking them recently (in Australia, the states only store to sell Reverend), but when they priced them at $1550 I was instantly turned off, good guitars but not for $1550.

>comfortable
>I can't imagine that would be much fun to use standing up for long periods of time
>dyel /gg/ babbys can't handle a measly 20 lbs hanging on their shoulders indefinitely
kek you both prolly have to wrap your strap around your waist like this pencil dicked fedora wearing turboqueer does

1550 Australian dollars? Damn dude that's over a thousand eurodollars. I'm so glad I don't live in Australia

>>dyel /gg/ babbys can't handle a measly 20 lbs hanging on their shoulders indefinitely
>straps
>not having arms so stronk you just hold the guitar on one hand by its neck
you're a fucking wuss m8

please. I do a sustained crunch and hold the body between my pecs and lower abs while I play

Oh fuck off with your shitstick and you shit taste in anime, kyoanusfaggot.

You are the cancer killing Cred Forums and you don't need to come here and try to kill it too.

>I do a sustained crunch and hold the body between my pecs and lower abs while I play

seriously underrated, i would trade the tone pots on all my guitars for whatever their bass cutoff knob pot is, so much more useful

Same shit that was on G&L. Not complicated at all.

aaronlumguitar.blogspot.com/2015/01/bass-cut-tone-pot-get-some-clarity-out.html

It forces you to play smarter.

You will be able to read properly written sheet music without thinking about "oh hurr what shap doez it make on me guitarrr it doesnt look like a A or a Power chord or anythin hurr hurr"

It does very good with proper music like Bach, etc. where it is written to follow the "rules" (more like scientific laws) of tonal harmony and counterpoint.

You're not going to be able to play your 6-string chad chords anymore though ;(

just bought a cheap spanish guitar. Rec me some picking songs m8s

I'd play it like a zither.

pls no bully

pls fuck off or post like a normal person.

I can't

You know what to do then.

Don't think you got away with it

The price of anything music related in Australia is absurd.

i always forget how to do it he he he

Noice collection. Which one do you use for regular practice? I don't have as many basses as you but I find some of my basses getting more use than others and feel bad for having them.

Own a 2014 blackjack, love it. My first high quality guitar. The neck is perfection. Nothing bad to say about them. Great quality/price ratio.

>mediafire.com/file/sayviwqxfcxfjon/

Play what you like to play, I'm five nine and play a shortscale, it is comfortable.

thx for fixing bass book link .

Dont you dare mess with my mememachine

Right now the white douglas is getting the most action. Few months back it was both warwicks that we being played.

The 8string and my stand ups definitely get played the least. Although i try to play em cause i end up feelin' bad if they're just sittin around.

All are ugly imo. just my opinion

>How long have you been playing?
since 2006

>Fav guitars?
EVERY Stratocaster

>Fav guitarists?
Joe Satriani, Paco De Lucia

My work:
soundcloud.com/airbornmartin/don-henley-boys-of-summer-airborn-reboot

Much of the guitar's classical repertoire becomes impossible tuning to fourths.
The guitar has a set tuning and unless the music requires it then it should be tuned in standard.

pretty cool tune senpai

what do you think of this effect?
does Cred Forums praise source audio effects?

>bass
>fx
Literally never needed.

>what are compressor pedals

obvious effects like phaser, fuzz and so on are extra fluff, but I think some light OD to cut through some distorted guitars (thinking mostly of the darkglass B3K/B7K), and compressors are kinda mandatory.
That is of course if you want to be heard.

Batteries or adapters?

Also if you've ever wondered why you should need a compressor, this video shows how slight but crucial they can be.
youtube.com/watch?v=LKBQ_sEG04A

If you play consistently, you don't need them.

Good power supply > batteries > bad power supply (like daisy chaining)

>meme bass

cheers faem

My amp was $75 and guitar was about $500 lolol

it's because they aren't fenders isn't it?

I have this exact same guitar sitting in my room and i wanna completely revamp it. Basically speaking the only original part of the guitar I want to keep is the body. How would I go about finding a replacement neck that will fit an Ibanez RC120 and how much sanding should i expect to get it to fit onto the heel nicely?