How does this make you feel Cred Forums?

how does this make you feel Cred Forums?

hopelessness

wow thats amazing actually cause they all suck dick expect for kanye

At least Nick Cave is good

superior

skeleton tree's the only record on here that's at least a 7

Angry that the system is failing us and bland bullshit is being shoved down our throats at every level of the music business, from mainstream pop to "indie" and "experimental".

It's honestly depressing. Groundbreaking music is probably being released right now, and we don't know about it because we're being fed bland, regurgitated bullshit by established artists. Even the so-called "experimental" music are bland, predictable rehashes.

It makes me feel like it's a stupid corporate website who's trying to get paid because they need to make money off of other people to survive, and the only way to survive is to make money off of other people, no matter how stupid and worthless and unneeded your service to humanity is. We live in the age of superfluous crap.

Frank Ocean doesn't suck dick. I mean he does, but not like that.

Chance record isnt a 9.1 senpai. Radiohead is questionable. TLOP should be 8 or something.

>tfw Adorno was right

TLOP sucks as well

happy that we're living in a new golden age of music with the exception of coloring book of course

And here we see a wild drone.

My boy Danny gonna top 'em

kill yourself immediately

AMSP really isn't that good. If it weren't by Radiohead it wouldn't be liked as much

lol

people wanna act like the 60's and 70's cant be touched but this era is fucking fantastic for music, theres fire dropping left and right

Chance, Kanye, and Anohni are all shit, and Radiohead, Nick Cave, and Frank are all decent

Bon Iver has the AOTY tho

really enjoyed:
skeleton tree

liked:
tlop

don't care for the rest, and I actively dislike hopelessness

who could be behind this post?

It's their best album since Amnesiac

are you gonna cry?

look at the highest reviews from just about any music review site and it's going to look pretty similar to this. guess everyone is on the corporate take except for you. so please go ahead and tell us what the true best albums of the year are.

BLACKS BTFO

No we aren't.

The 60s and 70s were a time of explosive creativity, everything from the 2000s is depressingly conventional and rehashed.

sure thing, gramps

>3 black albums
>BTFO
k dude

whats it feel like to be another mu fag that cant fathom the thought of modern artists being as talented as artists in the 60's/70's? I know its IMPOSSIBLE for you to image but people are making music today that is just as good. You can go back to exclusively listening to pet sounds now pleb

Hip Hop has it too easy these days. Too many lyrically weak rappers standing on the backs of their producers it seems.

>if you don't like all music released nowadays you're a nostalgic grandpa
You're deluding yourself.
Not him, but they're music review sites, they are corporate. They don't want to rock the boat, they don't want too seek out interesting, exciting music. They want music that will keep the masses happy RIGHT NOW, not the most creative and good music.

Indie is dead. Underground music in general is dead. We need a new system to expose and release iconoclastic music because the current one isn't working. Like what punk rock did in the 70s.

All these albums are pretty good. The problem is that everyone here could have predicted that they would get 9+ a year ago. Pitchfork has a dedicated following and it's depressing that they don't use that influence to blow up someone we have never heard of who's actually, truly fresh and exciting.

>putting Chance above Radiohead even though they are tied

LITERALLY white genocide

frank ocean is the best one there

chance is good but his ratings are always inflated cause of the chicago thing

You talk and think like a drone.

Nothing is new or shocking or really interesting. People are working in old styles, making bland, soulless, by-the-numbers crap that is sure to appeal to people like you, with no knowledge of music beyond trends and memes (evidenced by the fact that the old album that you list is fucking pet sounds)

>groundbreaking music is probably being released right now, and we don't know about it
i wonder if people said this in 1971
open your fucking eyes dude, this *is* groundbreaking music. i'm not crazy about every album on this list, but come on 2016 has been the best year in music that I can remember (don't forget all the sub 9s like wildflower that are not on here). if you are so cynical that you can be a serious music fan and not see that then literally you are missing out. go listen to ambient glitch on bandcamp if this is all too passe

>You're deluding yourself.
Good music is being made but we're in late stage capitalism so it generally stays underground.

>taking shitty bait
don't you have anything better to do with your life?

>sub 9s like wildflower
Give me a fucking break. Admit you're 17 so you can lurk for a year and get some fucking taste

>nothing is new or shocking or really interesting

well we just completely disagree so nevermind

People DID say it in 1971, mainly people who were being fed bullshit blues and heavy metal bands by the media. Actually, it would be true. The early 70s, with the exception of bands like the Stooges, was a pretty piss-poor time for music.

And now you're going to tell me that YET ANOTHER fucking IDM ambient glitch album or some other electronic bullshit that recycles avant-garde classical ideas from decades ago is just so original and groundbreaking, when it isn't.
Well then, give me an example. We need a new system, if literally NO ONE is listening to new music and the ones that do have to wade through mountains of shit Bandcamp ambient, it's obvious that music is in bad shape.
Well, tell me, what is so original happening nowadays?

they do do that though. they also do things like legitimize young thug. pitchfork is not good, but they are often a force for good

anyway if you want more exciting out there stuff just read tinymixtapes (well, don't actually read it). that goes for a lot of people in this thread, pitchfork is not the only music zine on the whole damn internet

>getting this triggered that someone dislikes some trendy p4k music that you like

>Being this fucking mad and this big of a virgin

nah, tinymixtapes just writes about run-of-the-mill "postmodern experimental electronic" shit in the most pretentious way possible.

are people serious when they make posts like this? it makes me sad to think of a real person who thinks like this

All this fucking anger. I do not like it. It's music and there is no need to rank it. All of those albums are great, except for the tranny's college course politics 101 shit.

It's been a great year for music, can't you all just be happy with that?

nice refutation

does it infuriate you?

Well, some people actually care about art.

theres no way of knowing anything for sure on 4 chan and thats why its absolutely pointless to be serious on here. Its just entertainment on here user

People that care about what's "groundbreaking/experimental" are edgelords / retards

this is a thread about pitchfork, it is legitimate to call albums 'sub-9s' in this context (and i think wildflower is better than most of these 9s anyway)

also i'm 23 and i've been on here since 2008

also
>my go to is to call people young
aw

what did you mean by this
No, they actually give a shit and want music that shakes them to their core, not pander to their audience. I don't even give a shit about "experimental" in the avant-teen sense. The avant-garde is dead anyways. But something new needs to happen.

I mean it more like what they did with Arcade Fire back in the day. It was just an out of nowhere 9.7 of a new band gave it AOTY and it blew them up, rather than what they do now where they give newer artists they're hyping some BNTs and an 8.4.

>anyway if you want more exciting out there stuff just read tinymixtapes
I do, my comment was more about how they have this audience and some level of influence and I wish they did some cooler stuff with it. 90% of BNMs can be predicted before anyone has heard the music, and with so much music out there that's a bit silly. I wanna wake up one day and see an 9.5 from someone Cred Forums has never talked about and I've never heard of, ya know?

This is all normie music except for nick cave. What happened to pitchfork?

>and i think wildflower is better than most of these 9s anyway
LOL

> shakes them to their core

>Fucking Pet Sounds being the representation of the 60s
Sometimes I feel very sad

>And now you're going to tell me that YET ANOTHER fucking IDM ambient glitch album or some other electronic bullshit that recycles avant-garde classical ideas from decades ago is just so original and groundbreaking, when it isn't.
actually my point (though this shows it doesn't exactly apply to you) is that the same people who lament the state of popular indie will listen to music like ambient glitch on bandcamp that is equally derivative but, apparently, better because further underground.
I certainly do not think the likes of erikM are actually doing anything groundbreaking

by the way you must be an all-universe contrarian if you think 1971 was a bad year for music. even by our standards that is extreme contrarianism

TLOP - 6.2/10
Hopelessness - 6.8/10
Blonde - 7.5/10
Skeleton Tree - Haven't listened yet
22 A Milla - 8.6/10
A Moon Shaped Pool - 8.9/10
Coloring Book - 8.7/10

Definetely one of their worst years but if they give Danny Brown AOTY then all is forgiven.

Also, gonna listen to Skeleton Tree today, what should I expect?

didnt say it represented it, its just nobody on 4 chan seems to think a better album has ever been made

Only Radiohead and arguably Frank Ocean deserved those scores. Nick Cave got a 9 because of context. Anohni, Kanye, and Chance were meh. I need to listen to 22 A Million a few more times.

It seems like Pitchfork has said "fuck it" and is now shoehorning as many 9+ ratings since it generates lots of clicks. This has been going on for a while, but it's gotten particularly aggressive in recent years. Compare the 9s from this year to ones from Pre-2012.

>James Blake-ST
>Strange Mercy
>Halycon Digest
>Have One on Me
>Teen Dream
>Flaming Lips-Embryonic
>MPP
>Bitte Orca
>Veckatimest
>Tv On The Radio-Dear Science
>Fleet Foxes

Say what you want about late 2000s indie buzzbands, but they were a fuckton better than the shit pitchfork is peddling now. The fact that TLOP can get the same score as Scott Walker's The Drift or From Here We Go Sublime is laughable.

Well in that case we agree.

>by the way you must be an all-universe contrarian if you think 1971 was a bad year for music. even by our standards that is extreme contrarianism
Only if you like boring prog, metal, and white blues.

I've been thinking they might retroactively give AOTY to Bowie rather than any of the 9's. They've given an 8~ AOTY once before (The Knife in 2006) so it's not unprecedented.

Are those the same people who care about what a Conde Nast company has to say about music?

yeah I hear you. with pitchfork most of the curveballs come when they rate an album lower than expected, rather than the other way around. they could certainly do more to shake up the scene, but then again they know their place in the musical ecosystem: play payola with p4k fest, hop on bandwagons at the right time like some kind of mad reputation hedge fund, and tell you exactly what you expect to hear week in week out.

but hey, i still find good stuff on p4k. like i never would have heard that elza soares album that came out this year, and i fucking love that album. and that is the point after all!

You mean the company that has unmatched influence in the music that reaches audiences? Of course.

>unmatched influence in the music that reaches audiences

But I don't see VIEWS on that list user.

okay I guess I'll admit there are non-contrarian reasons to not like dad rock

Oh, the huge multi-millianare superstar rapper? You know what I mean.

that Chance the Rapper album is WAY overrated

Everything else just -15 and it's fine, it's just inflated scores so that people read their articles

>but hey, i still find good stuff on p4k. like i never would have heard that elza soares album that came out this year, and i fucking love that album. and that is the point after all!

For sure, and that's what makes it a bit more frustrating, because I know they're listening to these small, unhyped artists and liking a lot of them. They'll just stick them in the 4th or 5th review slot and never talk about them again.

>You know what I mean

No, I don't. Enlighten me.

>want music that shakes them to their core,
Oh my god, fucking kill yourself. Jesus christ.

What?
You too.

>has never had music shake him to his core
>so unable to imagine what that's like that he thinks you should kill yourself for even saying something so ridiculous
feel bad for you brother

TLOP is nowhere near a 90

kys

TLOP was a piece of crap. Meme rap needs to die.

Fuck off with your meme experiences, you unevolved piece of shit. So tired of you existential faggots.

how mad do you think they are that they gave Hopelessness and Coloring Book high scores

MUH FEELS

>expect

>Adorno
with what

Were it the debut album of a new band and it would have blown even harder

capitalism is bad for our culture my friend

Kanye is the only non-trash on there ANOHNI is a definite signal that Pitchfork isn't a serious music review site.

>1971
>bad
>classic prog
>boring

Read the culture industry

p gud outside of hopelessness, would personally replace it with blackstar

>being deaf