Is this the beginning of post-hip-hop? If so, what other albums can we consider to be post-hip-hop?

Is this the beginning of post-hip-hop? If so, what other albums can we consider to be post-hip-hop?

Other urls found in this thread:

strawpoll.me/11336229
twitter.com/xdannyxbrownx/status/780872133341749249
strawpoll.me/11337728
youtu.be/vEpqjBoIhxg
youtube.com/watch?v=XV2h4h4hl2A
youtube.com/watch?v=nVhIA-YH-7w
soundcloud.com/the-quango/church-featuring-the-entropy
youtube.com/watch?v=i3_fNuNyjUc
twitter.com/SFWRedditVideos

Death Grips - Niggas on the Moon is the beginning of post-hip hop.

is this album really that good? i havent gotten around to listenin to it yet

atrocity exhibition i mean

yes

I mean, I've always considered Madvillainy to be post-hip hop.

if it's the beginning of a new movement that how we would already have other albums in that movement

>THE
>G
>A
>T
>E
>S

I didn't enjoy listening to it that much but I was very intrigued by what Danny did on the album. It's worth a listen.

oh look a tripfag posting this dumb ass meme again what a shocker

Couldn't we say that about their whole discography?

underrated af

o shit i guess i'll have to check it out then

what did he mean by this

Was just about to post this. 10/10 album

>slightly weird sounding hip hop is post-hip hop
Is this bait

fucking tripfag kys

ye it's the goat. favorite track? jimmybreeze or i promise to never get paint on my glasses again for me

i mean experimental albums tend to influence what comes after them, so technically, whatever post hip hop is, it will likely be influenced by em (or not)

Post-hip hop isn't a fucking thing. Stop this meme.

Charles Hamilton - At Most I'm Just

edan - beauty and the beat

strawpoll.me/11336229

Apt A 1 & 2 are my favorite, Jimmy Breeze is a close second and Cloud Dead #5 is great too

delete this

I really like the album but this thread is fucking stupid

It wasn't a thing. It is now.

is danny brown hip hop or post hip hop and what is post hip hop

whatever dean blunt and james ferraro has been shitting out is post hip hop

Death Grips already did post-rap with The Powers That B.

I support this

top fav memes

Great album but it's more Psych-Hop than Post-Hop, which had already been done before
>What is Cloudrap
I would say it's Proto Post-Hip Hop. As of right now I would consider this a pinnacle of experimental hip-hop though. It really depends on how the genre moves forward from here.

What is LUM? Specifically 3 sides of Tape

Anybody have dl link? Would b much appreciated

Get soulseek

Kanye sampled King Crimson in Power, so MBDTF is Post-Hip-Hop easily

edan is horrifically shitty.

can we start tagging it as
>post hip-hop
on last.fm?

genres are pointless. just listen to the music and learn some big boy words to describe it.

what this guy said, but if "post hip-hop" wasn't a dumb as hell label to begin with i'd include this

Does Get Hi seem like it samples Sun Araw to anyone else? That sun-faded synth after the chorus really sounds like him.

shit taste shit opinion
genres help people find more music that they enjoy in an easy way
also midcity is the worst thing i have forced myself to sit through, at least clppng is decent and splendor and misery isnt as bad

hip-hop for people who don't get hip-hop and just like melodic samples

edan is bullshit

IT'S THE

whenever a hip hop artist makes an interesting or original album there is always a crowd of white boys there to tell everyone it's not actually hip hop any more
can't have hip hop artists getting too inventive now can we

dickheads

This album is haunting and amazing. White Lines is one of the most unnerving tracks i've ever heard, while still being very catchy in a perverted way. Danny is a fucking alien.

DEAD BODY LOOTING MUTANT SHOOTING VENUS MOUTHING ROOT IN TOOTING LUGER TOTING RUGER LOADING BULLET THROWING WAY TOO LONG GRENADE HOLDING TRIANGULAR MIGHT MANGLE

The Life of Pablo
Lil Boat

post-rock - uses rock instrumentation, but does not have typical rock song structure, or content

post-symbolism - write like a symbolist, but don't have the typical introverted nature of that movement

so
post-hip-hop is what exactly? yeah, it doesn't make sense.
obviously you faggots mean PROG hip-hop

Post-whatever is a fucking stupid label anyway. It's used in a totally different way to describe Post punk and post hardcore so you really can't pinpoint its meaning. Aside from the literal interpretation that it comes after the genre.

Mean to clarify in music. I think it is used correctly in a broad sense in other forms of art.

>cLOUDDEAD is cloud rap because it has "cloud" in the name

this is a good point

No, the album is overall pretty generic and is much less experimental than countless releases this year.

>countless releases this year.

name some of them then

>countless releases this year

I'll wait for you to name a few...

twitter.com/xdannyxbrownx/status/780872133341749249

it's actually prog hop

It's one of my favourites of the year, I definitely have to listen to it more. Not that guy btw

While I agree with you, no MAINSTREAM album has been more experimental this year. Sure you can probably find a million weird projects on bandcamp but nobody actually gives a fuck

this. hipster racism

>Proto Post-Hip Hop
is this suppose to be a meme?

YUP. severely underrated

The worst obsession this board has is the constant need to look at itself through the lens of history. Perhaps because people feel insignificant in the shadow of centuries of great music and without a new cultural movement to lead them to challenge the past rather than feel as they are judges by it. Always looking for the 'influential', 'genius', 'important' through future-eyes, for elements of our times to fit into the model of 'artistic period' as we know it from the past. Do you really think the speed and range over which ideas are exchanged nowadays allows for genres to remain unified, even for a short while? Hip Hop has been mixed with so many sounds by now, it's stupid to think post-hip-hop is some movement that found its leader rather than anything within a certain radius and outwards from the established core. That 'post' prefix has no meaning in our age, it's all post-genre.

>Implying that if Post Hip-Hop exists, there would be no musical compositions that would have resembled the genre while predating Post Hip-Hop's inevitable construction

Which happen's to be with the release of Atrocity Exhibition.

Which means There are actually 2 genres innovated with the release of this album...CRAZY

third worlds

LUM is gravewave and hip hop bordering horrorcore

this is a good post n ur real for it

>Implying Proto Post Hip-Hop isn't just Hip-Hop

I'd say XXX was a lot more forward thinking than this album, but this album is still leaps and bounds ahead of the rest of hip hop.

It's Danny and Death Grips rn.

>inbfuckingfour Death-Grips-Anti-Hype-Circle-Jerk

oh yeah and Lil Ugly Mane (and maaaybe Tyler the Creator).

Any suggestions Cred Forums?

God damnit, you faggots with your autistic need for terms and categories

Sleaford Mods

Get rid of H&C.

if this is the beginning of post hip-hop, then there are no other post hip hop albums yet you moron

Acid Rap?

sensational - loaded with power

Yeezus, unironically

this whole thread is bait

Deltron 3030

What the fuck is the definition of Post-Hop

Busdriver and Saul Williams started it. Death Grips and Danny Brown popularized it.

How would Acid Rap fit that at all

>death grips ultra lite
>not TLOP

/thread

Third Side of Tape - Lil Ugly Mane

>Implying Proto-Punk, Proto-Post Rock (Talk Talk, Slint) and Proto Vaperwave (Lopatin) weren't real movements looking back in time.

Pretty Hair, or Thumbs by Busdriver

Pretty much just weird hip hop

What is Prog-Hop

Action Bronson

Madvill is pretty much just straight up hip-hop with unusual length tracks. Don't get me wrong, it's great, but not post-hip hop.

stuff like MBDTF

Before you get all hot n ready to make a chart, what is the definition? What makes something post hip hop that all the albums on the chart would resemble?
What makes madvillain post hip hop? The vocals are rapping and while the samples/beats may be new and different, it's still typical hip hop.
Or even H&C like wtf do you know what the hell you're talking about
You're just throwing dark hip hop on there.

when you rap over Yes

A lot of this is just abstract hip-hop

10/10 game desu

Earl Sweatshirt's I Don't Like Shit or Solace?

talk talk and slint are just post rock and vaporwave is a meme you mouth breather

>weird hip hop has never existed
>clearly talking out of his ass

DANNY BROWN HIMSELF SAID THE ALBUM IS PROGHOP AND NOT POSTHOP

refer to

>DANNY BROWN HIMSELF IS WRONG

Prog rap is a bad term for it

>ITS NOT THIS MEANINGLESS LABEL ITS THIS OTHER MEANINGLESS LABEL!!

man oh man people are wasting their lives arguing about this dumb shit

This is so fucking stupid and reeks of new. Doesn't even make gd sense

have we really reached the apex of laziness where we have to put 'god damn' in an acroynm

Nearly done

Literally the only 2 albums that fit are Atrocity Exhibition and TPTB

put in some shabbazz palaces dummy

have we really reached the apex of laziness where we have to put a new genre on everything that uses an oz. of creativity

Most of these aren't post-hip-hop, they're just abstract or experimental precursors to it. Just stop

I think its perfect

splendor & misery is definitely post-hiphop

Some of them aren't even experimental.

ITT babbys first experimental rap album

what a shit list

replace TLOP with Yeezus

>Tyler
>Pablo
>AcidRap
>Earl

W-what? How?

People will fall for this shit bait

Remember how long "post dubstep" lasted?

usually post- genres are used as a criticism of the genre they are borrowing from

post-rock borrowed heavy from classical and focused heavily on the artistry and flow of music, using strange time-signatures to criticize how simplified and structured rock was at the time.

what is danny brown criticizing?

It should be:
Danny Brown
Clipping.
Death Grips

These are the only ones that qualify at the moment

Don't bother. They don't have a valid argument and are going to ignore you so they can enjoy their new "genre"

new genres are fun

This is ridiculously stupid. There is no overarching aesthetic or ethos to the entire group. It's just picking random experimental hip hop albums from different "schools of thought"

embarrassing

But it's not one. Hence the quotation marks famalam

>ITT people that fell for chart bait

they're also pointless if you can't justify their existence. saying this is post-hiphop simply because it's weird and experimental is a disservice to the entire post-___ moniker.

I'd say experimental hip-hop is more accurate.

of course if the general population catches on then it's a genre regardless of meaning. but for that to happen it has to be something truly earth-shattering or out there, like vaporwave.

id argue sensational did their style 15 years before them

strawpoll.me/11337728

Fucking disgusting.

one of the reasons "Post-Hip Hop" is a think is because Post Punk+Hip Hop. Which Atrocity Exhibition certainly is.

However Cred Forums has made it into "this album is post-hip hop too because muh experimentation and edge, and not because it's mixed with Post Punk

Last revision.

>mad illusions

lmao

N U T S H A CK

I love him.

It's more like BLM-core/self-conscious hip hop. Not Prog at all like King Krimson or Alt-J

Y'all forgot about BusDriver

Fucking terrible man

That's Avant-Trap.

its dope but why is it post anything?
>i could go on

god this is something.

someone post the post-hip hop albums chart

the accurate version no Tyler and shit

>Avant-Trap

no its not

there's no such thing as post-hop. hip-hop samples from every other genre to begin with, there can't be a "post". it's just experimental hip-hop.

this is autism

this

accurate

post hip hop would be using hip-hop elements for non-hip hop means. AE is still hip hop, so how the fuck can it be post-hop, or whatever the fuck

y'all retarded

This is more Avant-trap post-BLM antisemitism core

If this isn't a joke I'm leaving the board and never coming back

How do I in2 Danny's meme-voice delivery?
Can't help but find it offputting

listen to it more, get used to it

yeah theres nothing connecting those albums together. its a bad meme chart.

How come hip hop fans are so ignorant about music genres?

Can any one of them define something like post-rock or post-punk without looking it up?

Perfect Hair's on there

It needs get Saul Williams on there and kick off Kanye though.

Honestly dude, that sounds practical from a non-musician sense, but to any refined Hip Hop producer I'm sure you sound retarded as shit right now because ultimately it comes down to production. With all the effects and filters you can put into 1 sample, it can sound like a completely different piece of music. That and creativity is the main force behind innovativeness, no matter what equipment is laying in front of you

Dalek you plebs

Underrated post. Rap is rap.

Remember when we did the whole start of post-hip hop thing with Kanye. And Death Grips.

perfect, how do we add this to the wiki?

Niggas Subtle has already done this program hop like 10 years ago
youtu.be/vEpqjBoIhxg

*Prog hop

>le entry level dadrock references

typical hiphop mediocrity

schoolboy q doesn't belong on this board

ITT: we give meme rap a more legitimate name

Themselves - The No Music
Subtle - A New White / For Hero: For Fool
13 & God - S/T
cLOUDDEAD - S/T / Ten
Sole & The Skyrider Band - S/T

When I first tried to get into Danny Brown, I turned XXX off after four tracks because his voice was so offputting. I tried again after a couple weeks and listened to the production more than the rapping and got used to his voice. Now I find his voice endearing.

But if you're trying to get into Danny Brown I recommend either The Hybrid or XXX as your starting point. The Hybrid has less of his "hype voice" and more traditional production but XXX is his breakout and it's high quality through and through, just with more abstract production, so it's really up to you.

lol, people having been saying that Post-Hip-Hop was a thing since Government Plates came out, then again when Earl Sweatshirt's Solace EP came out.

ironic rap

danny brown himself tried to say it was prog hop lmao fuck off

honestly, with this and new Bon Iver, I haven't been this excited about music in years.

Listened to ~half of both and they're both amazing.

People were saying it long before that. DG didn't invent it. They just did it louder.

wow this thread is full of dumbasses

stuff like the avalanches is post-hip hop, they take core elements and sounds of the genre but don't follow the structure and tropes of it

atrocity exhibition is a hip hop album that has a unique sound, but it doesn't deviate from hip hop in a way that would mark it as a new genre altogether. that's not a bad thing either, not every good album has to invent a new genre as though that's the pinnacle of musical achievement. some album at some point was the genesis of crunkcore and i'm guessing that album was shit

Well, it's a good thing all of the crunkcore output after that was so on point.

>Prog Hop

ftfy

lafin

True. This is what makes it fun for a lot of people though. Otherwise its just an endless void with no context, so I understand trying to connect an album or artist to a musical movement, even if that "movement" is some preemptive narrative. I agree that it is pretty annoying though. I guess thats the age we live in.

Driver didn't start getting that weird until around the time Danny Brown was getting popular though.These are bus driver releases I'd call post hop. It's Perfect Hair tho

>Today
>Get Hi
>Rolling Stone
>Lost

Lost has the best beat on the album.

that was unexpected

Havnt listened to this album yet but I loved XXX. Based on that album cover alone I'm getting a mid 80s / early 90s Wax Trax! era electro industrial feel. Does it have that kind of vibe?

I didn't expect this to sound like this
youtube.com/watch?v=XV2h4h4hl2A
wow boy, is the game like this?
this sounds ridiculously neat

no i wouldn't even call it post-hip hop

even if it was, Dalek has been doing what I think is perfectly post-hip hop for years and years now.

Seriously Dalek is like the GYBE of hip hop.
Focus on tones and textures, unique instrumentation and sounds, drone elements, powerful emotional sounds, even the lyrics are similar

youtube.com/watch?v=nVhIA-YH-7w

See; platinum tears

solace for sure

tptb is the only somehow fitting album in this chart

is that a fucking cut hands sample on pneumonia?

Niggas on the Moon and Derbe Respect Alder are the only albums I'd call Post-Hip Hop.

the game is godly play it

Well keep in mind that even in rock music there isn't always a major accessibility gap in the difference between rock and post rock. Post hip hop could just beware we it is the natural progression of hip hop ends up becoming.

this is one of the more disgusting samefags I've ever seen

Speaking of Dälek's experimentation, I really can't get over how cool pic related is. Incidentally, the thing that sounds most like this album to me is actually "Downward Spiral" off AE desu

Agreed.

This and NOTM are the only albums I'd give a 10/10.

NotM isn't just slightly weird sounding hip hop

Fucking this.

>hip-hop samples from every other genre to begin with
But mostly soul, funk and jazz.
Using the hip-hop process of sampling to other genres is actually quite rare in conventional hip-hop.
Though Kanye sampled Can and King Crimson, DJ Shadow sampled Pekka Pohjola and Danny Brown rapped over This Heat on XXX (which blows my mind).

>that fist in the lower right corner
never noticed that before

this is more like it. you can hardly call most of it "hip-hop".

although way weirder hip hop has existed for decades. the album you posted doesn't even come close OP.

Clipping sucks. They're experimental without having a clue what to do musically. They're bad musicians.

Ok so either a) someone told him to say it
Or b) he's a twat

i wouldnt call them bad, but they're overly intellectual.
i can't imagine actually enjoying their compositions in anything but a detached way.

High quality post, music journalism has a habit of doing this too at the moment.

>pseudo-intellectual
fixed that for you

wouldn't count it as post-hip-hop, but definitely one of the purest forms of experimental hip-hop

Kendrick Lamar - untitled unmastered

It's the same thing with punk and horror movies.

If they're too good, you've got to call it "Alternative Rock" or "Thrillers"

So you undermine a black man's opinion because it doesn't fit your paranoid sjw worldview?

dumb nigger

it doesn't matter what race they are, they just happen to be white because most music writers are white, i'm sure there's a reason for that but that's not the point is it

absolutely, ex-military might be a little too traditional and even old school sounding, but The Money Store still sounds like it came from nowhere.

Clipping is still pretty hip hop, but Splendor and Misery definitely isn't. It's like an Experimental Rap Opera.

Solace is underrated as fuck.

The point went far over your head fuck face.

You don't get to write off the opinion of the artist as racist against blacks when the artist is black himself. The mental gymnastics of "he was forced to say it!" is mind boggling.

Thinking hip hop is intrinsically black is identity politics, and if you play that game then you are by default a fucking moronic racist cunt.

Not understanding that once instrumentation sounds sufficiently different a thing is in a new genre is also fucking moronic.

This entire thread is so goddamned retarded
Yes I know I'm adding to it but fuck guys, are you ever gonna get tired of making trollposts that everyone knows are trollposts, and then responding to those trollposts with your own trollposts that everyone else knows are trollposts too
I mean I'm sure most of you guys already jerk off like 3 times a day, can we stop masturbating here?

nah, you missed the point

hip hop can be anything it wants

tyler did the same shit when he started getting big, 'my shit is not hip hop'
i think he was a twat for doing that as well

i dunno why you're going on about race, nothing to do with it

Clipping. is good. They're not bad musicians. I hope you didn't get that idea from pitchfork. All of their members have been making music for years now and are active in different musical fields, be it musicals or film scoring. As a collective they just adhere to a more philosophical deconstructionist approach to music. Splendor & Misery is a near perfect album, you can criticize it for a number of things, but I feel like people that criticize it for being "bad music" are too confined in the idea of music as a combination of sounds. But even wgen coming from that theory, the sounds of S&M harmonize excellently with its ideological counterpart, the atmosphere it creates is cinematic to say the least. The music is the whole thing and I love it. Would not label it as post hip hop though.

Concept is weak, lyrics are cheesy, flow is weak, hooks are not catchy or good, half the songs are filler
Legitimate question, how long have you been on this board? I'm curious to actually know.

soundcloud.com/the-quango/church-featuring-the-entropy

obvs

>>Driver didn't start getting that weird until around the time Danny Brown was getting popular though
???? i wouldn't group Driver with the rest of these rappers but he's been weird for a while, and not just his flow.
youtube.com/watch?v=i3_fNuNyjUc

srsly, came here expecting to see 0 mentions. thanks for disappointing me. dalek is incredible

> When the drums kick in on Tell Me What I Don't Know

Then why is post-rock a thing? Someone had to take note of its progression at some point, why can't the same be done for Hip-Hop?

Maybe if you only listened to their latest album.

Their other two albums went hard.

Replace Pablo with Yeezus. Replace Acid Rap and GO:OD AM with anything

I feel like something by DG should be up there

why did you faggots have to pick this album to meme into oblivion

About 4 years now I'd say. The concept of Splendor and Misery is original and ambitious, definitely not weak. I kind of like the hooks on it as well, in songs like All Black the hook is well implemented, I like how the words have a new context everytime he says them. I can see how some might view the hooks in general as cheesy though, that's the problem I had with CLPPNG, still can't enjoy Story 2 because the beat change and "where is the babysitter that he overpays..." is one of the corniest lines I know. Still, I find Diggs's flow pretty impressive although I usually find the technical rapping worship ridiculous. I wouldn't call the interludes filler since they do bring something to the project as a whole, which is what S&M should be seen as in the first place, it doesn't come with any real singles either. The interludes work well to introduce or develop the concept, like when Daveed assumes the role of Cargo2331 (not sure that's the correct nr but u get the idea) walking around the ship rapping to himself, it translates nicely the frustrating loneliness of being in space. The numbers track adds some interesting background to the whole thing as well. I enjoy the acapella passages as well, they adequately link the themes of afrofuturism to the roots of african american culture.
But even then, the filler tracks are only like a minute long and overall only take about 6 or 7 minutes from the whole project so I don't really see that as an issue.

that clipping album

Get that Tyler the creator shit outta there. There is absolutely nothing post-hip hop about that album.

>post-hip hop.
At.Long.Last.A$AP

WTF does "post" mean? Like a new trend you mean?

Would midcity be what you call post?

THIS

Holy fuck lol this your first concept or exp rap album lol

Hell no. That album was mind numbingly boring.

And This

this post and all underposts are the reason why this board is aids

HAHAHA what the fuck

damn, pack it up bois we finished hiphop

Drake started post-hip hop by changing the lyrical themes & instrumentation styles in the 2010's, making it the norm. Kanye recently started changing the game with MBDTF but especially with yeezus & tlop. Even Drakes new album is very different from hip hop made just 10 years ago. This decade in my opinion is a very important time for hip hop because everything about the genre is changing. And i'm not saying there's no rappers out there who still mimic the style of early hip hop but the mainstream stuff is so different from hip hop that it barely pays tribute to where it came from anymore.

No of course it is not. I know my concept albums and this is this is a good one.

Definitely the weakest tracks on the album.

Flatbush ZOMBiES, Shabazz Palaces.... Kendrick

haven't checked this thread for a while. I can see that we've clearly all lost our minds.

>Sleaford Mods?
>Wolf?
>Mac Miller?

whatthefukisthisshit

Haha

Black up needs to be on there.

Cataloging knowledge (organizing music via genre) prevents the formation of emotional connections to the music itself. You get so caught up in the ontological form of the album that you ignore its affect. Further, genres have probably historically limited musical experimentation and "progression" by generating standards an album has to meet to be determined "good" in a specific genre.

All post means is that it comes after, or is a response to a previous movement. I think it seems kind of arbitrary in music because there's a mass proliferation of different styles of music to respond to.