[On September 16, 2001], the same journalist then asked [Stockhausen] how the events of 11 September had affected him...

>[On September 16, 2001], the same journalist then asked [Stockhausen] how the events of 11 September had affected him, and how he viewed reports of the attack in connection with the harmony of humanity represented in Hymnen. He answered:

>"Well, what happened there is, of course—now all of you must adjust your brains—the biggest work of art there has ever been. The fact that spirits achieve with one act something which we in music could never dream of, that people practise ten years madly, fanatically for a concert. And then die. And that is the greatest work of art that exists for the whole Cosmos. Just imagine what happened there. There are people who are so concentrated on this single performance, and then five thousand people are driven to Resurrection. In one moment. I couldn't do that. Compared to that, we are nothing, as composers.
>It is a crime, you know of course, because the people did not agree to it. They did not come to the "concert". That is obvious. And nobody had told them: "You could be killed in the process.""

What did he mean by this?

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=F6WrDl02T1Q
youtube.com/watch?v=aA8vp03Aa1E
twitter.com/SFWRedditVideos

>muh anything is art

kek he talks like he's from the 19th century

This is how rich spoiled egoistical faggots actually think.

jews are incapable of art

"he believed the terrorists responsible for the September 11 attacks "need congratulating" because "

it was trendy at the time to be pro the side that bricks people to death for long trousers. In favour of the side that now incinerates young people from a video game console.

what

He's basically saying Hitler was the greatest artist of all time and second world war (WORLD fucking war) the greatest work of art.

based

Can anyone post the 9/11 core chart?

maybe i'm just projecting my opinions onto him, but didn't he mean to say 9/11 was such a tremendous event, evoking so much feelings and interest in people, that art as a whole falls short in comparison?

missing the point
not at all, he's speaking English as a second language here
missing the point
he's the most Aryan person ITT and I know for a fact he was a supremacist
wrong
great response
closer to the point than anyone else
yeah I know right
I can't, sorry
Bingo

>he's the most Aryan person ITT and I know for a fact he was a supremacist
no i was talking about the supposed artists who perpetrated the attack

>wrong
No I'm not

This carries some truth, but ultimately this is pretentious and disrespectful.
To call such an event "The biggest work of art", and compare it to a concert is beyond disrespectful.

Being disrespectful is art.

>muh respect
Look where we are

here it is

yeah you are
what if he's using an expanded notion of "concert" to include things that are genuine or tragic?

Name one work of art bigger than the September 11 attacks

Bon Jovi is art.

I don't know but whenever I see anything about Stockhausen I think of this.
youtube.com/watch?v=F6WrDl02T1Q

especially when it was literally 5 days after the attack

>As a result of the reaction to the press report of Stockhausen's comments, a four-day festival of his work in Hamburg was canceled. In addition, his pianist daughter announced to the press that she would no longer appear under the name "Stockhausen".

the holocaust

Ignorant art haters.

Americans massacring indians to build their empire
Donald Trump
That giant opera thing Stockhausen was doing

this

kek'd at that last one

Friendly reminder that World War 2 was the greatest artistic achievement ever. And I don't mean it because it had the biggest death toll, but because it really was an artistic achievement.

>I know for a fact he was a supremacist
Oh yeah? Prove it.
It had something to do with Aliens I think

See the top of my post

i like him in this video when the guy suggests electronic music is soulless, he goes full ubermensch
youtube.com/watch?v=aA8vp03Aa1E

This
He's right, in a sense, but everybody else says the same thing and says it in a way that isn't pretentious and inconsiderate

Jackie chan

>Prove it.
I know someone who studied with him. He would write long pitch class equations on a board and stop suddenly and point at someone and ask them what the next number was. They would invariably say they didn't know and he would always reply "tsk, tsk, a European composer would have been able to answer that"

This was when he was accepting only non-European pupil in the 70s, presumably in order to "enlighten" their home countries with his teachings.

Spectacle theory is pretty interesting, sure
But he said it in a damn disrespectful way

Stockhausen serves imperialism

Do you guys think people like Stockhausen and Xenakis are superior to Classical/Baroque/Whatever composers?

Should be Hail to the Thief instead of the pre-9/11 OK Computer, dontcha think?

Pet Sounds