Pitchfork has been on a long, slow downward spiral since 2010

>Pitchfork has been on a long, slow downward spiral since 2010.
>The Needle Drop has become Leafy but with music, and his fans are starting to become unreasonably rabid.
>basically nobody genuinely likes Scaruffi outside of the Beatles copypasta
Alright, Cred Forums, now that those three are in the gutter, what do we do now? Is "indie" music reviewing dead?

webm unrelated

Other urls found in this thread:

marcelsmusicjournal.com/post/144726027703/album-review-radiohead-a-moon-shaped-pool
youtube.com/watch?v=uNNAQka5Z78
youtube.com/watch?v=YjMGZEq41-g
marcelsmusicjournal.com/post/141932227158/album-review-the-field-the-follower
youtube.com/watch?v=L3E0kq9YkjA
youtube.com/watch?v=UyXbUzm-Tv0
twitter.com/AnonBabble

Marcel is our new king. He'll be the one who saves us.

honestly i read marcels blog, a few rym people i trust, dozensofdonuts, and the occasional other blog

amazon.com reviews

It's for the best. We need fewer taste makers, so we can actual discuss music. What Pitchfork/Fantano rate an album isn't relevant to discussing what people like about it. The people who parrot them and the people immediately hate something because Pitchfork/Fantano liked something are the worst.

The fact that so many books still name the Beatles as "the greatest or most significant or most influential" rock band ever only tells you how far rock music still is from becoming a serious art. Jazz critics have long recognized that the greatest jazz musicians of all times are Duke Ellington and John Coltrane, who were not the most famous or richest or best sellers of their times, let alone of all times. Classical critics rank the highly controversial Beethoven over classical musicians who were highly popular in courts around Europe. Rock critics are still blinded by commercial success. The Beatles sold more than anyone else (not true, by the way), therefore they must have been the greatest. Jazz critics grow up listening to a lot of jazz music of the past, classical critics grow up listening to a lot of classical music of the past. Rock critics are often totally ignorant of the rock music of the past, they barely know the best sellers. No wonder they will think that the Beatles did anything worthy of being saved.

I'd read your blog emily

Hi there!

You seem to have made a bit of a mistake in your post. Luckily, the users of Cred Forums are always willing to help you clear this problem right up! You appear to have used a tripcode when posting, but your identity has nothing at all to do with the conversation! Whoops! You should always remember to stop using your tripcode when the thread it was used for is gone, unless another one is started! Posting with a tripcode when it isn't necessary is poor form. You should always try to post anonymously, unless your identity is absolutely vital to the post that you're making!

Now, there's no need to thank me - I'm just doing my bit to help you get used to the anonymous image-board culture!

i might start one in the very near future
no promises though

user, rock and the entire "indie" style have been dead for a while now. Rock has brought no new movements other than re-packaging the past with a self-aware veneer and the aesthetic of "indie" has been watered down and fed to the mainstream.

You have the choice to join one of the following burgeoning music snob communities:

1. Classical/art music avant-teens
2. Jazz nerds
3. EDM cretins
4. Hip hop fuckboys
5. J-pop/K-pop NEETs
6. Antisocial metalheads

Choose wisely.

>Leafy but with music
what does that mean

tinymixtapes and thequietus are pretty good imo

i literally hate fucking all of you

jazz nerds are the only acceptable choice tbqh

im just having fun

tmt is great for finding modern noise albums but for anything else theyre outright terrible. dont really have any experience with the quietus so i cant judge

Marcel can replace Fantano

TMT can replace P4K

It's as simple as that, really. Let the new weird frontier of music journalism begin.

tmt is great

well a critic is a critic, at the end of the day they just assign value to art. the only thing needed to be a good reviewer is to have knowledge of history and to have some leanings on taste

>TMT

god no. their reviews are more navel-gazing and insufferable than the very worst that pitchfork has put out. and pitchfork are horrible with that shit.

the quietus would replace pitchfork in a better world. vastly superior reviews.

I liked Here Lies Music's YouTube channel, but that dude can't even put in the effort to make 5 second videos anymore.

>unironically liking people who review music

i tried the quietus but the reason i didn't include them was because i didn't think they would have as much posting potential as something like TMT, but then again, i guess that's not the criteria here.

the quietus are alright, they offer some decent features now and then, but they can be pretty boring overall.

I usually have quite a bit of respect for tQ, but the last Bon Iver review was just pure cringe. Something about the album sounding like Deleuze and Guattari's incipit from A thousand plateaus. All that for an album of decent production, mediocre songwriting, and shit lyricism.

Tbqh most people use reviewers to fuel their own confirmation biases, filtering out the reviewers who give bands they like shit reviews and returning to those who tally with their taste and worldview. Getting a range of opinions from them is fine as long you don't take them too seriously.

TL;DR having a "god" or "accepted Cred Forums publication" lends itself to a less adventurous board.

couldnt have put it better my self
honestly i just tend to follow critics who i know to have similar tastes to me, in order to get recommendations of albums they enjoyed that i also might enjoy

in the end, that is the sole purpose of the critic, and why so many of the sites turn into shills: if you can get the people to trust you because you liked their favorite album, they'll eat up whatever you put out. its a perfect business model for record labels and critics really

no fun on this board

ree ree ree i angri now >:(((

I kind of hate Marcel. He's such a two-timing weasel sometimes. He flip-flops so often it's a wonder anyone takes him seriously at all.

*ahem*

I'm gonna stick with Drone.
Alone curled up in a room corner being hugged warmly by beautiful sounds that will only end when I want them to.

>under 18yr old kids changes his opinion every minute
gee I wonder why
lay off him at least he's trying

yeah hes still growing into his own taste
i remember this interview with him where he cites the beatles as the "greatest band of all time" or something, and look at his rym ratings for them now

but then again, ive found a lot of great albums i never would have listened to if not for him, so i cant complain. hes basically just a way to find the best of dream catalogue at this point

youtube-comment-tier

damn user you sound young

It means he's becoming an obnoxious asshole. Remember that time Limp Bizkit came out with a new record and -- surprise, surprise -- it was god-awful? The Needle Drop "reviewed" it by not saying a word. He just ate his lunch in front of the camera, because people were expecting him to trash that record. Old Needle Drop wouldn't give a bad record the time of day. If he did review a bad album, however, he would at least state his opinion as politely as possible. Now he literally laughs at the artist and says something along the line of, "This is possibly the worst thing I've heard this decade." He used to be so modest and humble and polite, but now you can tell the power is going to his head.

His fanbase is getting considerably worse. Before, back when he had the shitty camera and black backdrop and basically only did reviews, his fanbase was often pretty nice. Really polite and quiet, just like he was. Now, literally all they ever talk about is memes and flame wars break out in the comments of almost every video. He's becoming part of the Leafy/idubbbz/FilthyFrank universe, which isn't good.

I agree with this, actually. Well said.

Agreed.

Remember when Michael Gira was accused of rape and the very first thing Marcel said about it was something along the lines of, "Yeah, doesn't surprise me. I always knew he was fucked up."
But before that, he was always talking about how he thought Michael was a nice guy.

are you going to tell me you dont think michael gira is kind of a fucked up guy
hes just generally a pretty menacing guy

>want a daughter
>can't overcome the crisis of conscience to decide to procreate

did he say that? i thought he said something like "it's useless to comment on this situation because we'll never really know what happened" or something like that.

- It doesn't matter what I think about Michael Gira. We're not talking about me. We're talking about the fact that Marcel held one opinion and dropped it the very moment something went down. He just goes with whatever's popular.

Also I don't think he's that menacing. In performance, yeah, but during interviews he seems nice enough.

>He just goes with whatever's popular.
oh yeah man giving Young Thug, Beyonce, and Grimes 1/10 ratings is totally a popular opinion that you can see throughout P4K and Rolling Stone.

yeah i get that, i was just addressing a different part of your point. i dont actually have any sort of counterpoint for the "marcel goes with the popular thing" argument, i dont know marcel well enough to be able to make a point there.

oh i havent actually watched any interviews with him desu, i was basing my assumption off the spookiness of his music. my b

Those are easy choices to make, Cred Forums doesn't respect any of those artists

If he gave A Moon Shaped Pool a low score I'd believe him

>implying a site's culture can't change over time

I think it's pretty safe to say that 13/14 year old Marcel is almost a completely different person than what he is now. Hell, even his writing has noticeably gotten somewhat better, so I can perfectly understand what KFC is saying here: . like emily said, he's still growing into his own taste, and i feel like he's reached the point (or he's just about to) where he's able to define himself. i remember when i had no idea what to think when i was that age. it's really strange to think about but it also makes sense.

he gave it a 5/10
marcelsmusicjournal.com/post/144726027703/album-review-radiohead-a-moon-shaped-pool

Patrician.

except he did give A Moon Shaped Pool a low score

Those are just throwaway scores to make people take him more seriously.

He's pretty friendly in interviews. Smiles a lot. Very wordy; you'd think he was an author if you didn't know who he was.
youtube.com/watch?v=uNNAQka5Z78
youtube.com/watch?v=YjMGZEq41-g

literally what the fuck is this review

does marcel take heavy doses of crack before he writes this shit? is this some weird postmodern art statement? what the fuck is wrong with him?

Their reviews are poorly written but their picks are spicy_pacha.jpg always

Marcel is literally:

>DUDE DEAN BLUNT
>DUDE JAMES FERRARO
>DUDE HARDVAPOUR
>DUDE DREAM CATALOGUE
>DUDE OUTSIDER HOUSE
>DUDE FUCK POPTIMISM

100% of the time

>Those are just throwaway scores to make people take him more seriously.
wait what

the intro to it is an in joke from a small group of people that marcel is a part of. it normalizes after that

woah hes super friendly here. i didnt expect thi at all. thanks for sharing this.
also holy shit the seer was one take

blunt and ferraro are based, hardvapor is a meme, dream catalogue has its serious highlights, outsider house is good, poptimism is a meme

>Leafy

who?

You give a bunch of scores that literally everybody agrees with and maybe one contrarian score here and there to make everyone think you have your own opinions. It's called a throwaway score. Makes them take you more seriously. It's a form of mass manipulation. He knows what he's doing.

It is very much ideal as a business model; they idea of bands, artists and genres being somewhat "manufactured" is as old as rock and roll, unfortunately. Music critics lend credibility to the ephemeral; hence they're an essential cog in the industry's wheels.

I'm always in a bit of quandary when talking about music reviews since I always feel a bit self conscious about my own; being a critic of critics feels just a bit too pretentious for me. I'm happy to accept them as a necessary evil who you have to look past to get to the good though

The Needledrop irritates me, even the older incarnations I've stumbled across. Even when he agrees with me he finds a way to get on my nerves.

Outsider house is genuinely good though. I don't really follow Marcel at all, but it's kind of dissapointing that he's lumped a decent genre with some sort of organic scene in with a lot of trash and a mystical bogeyman for the avant-poseur generation

>thanks for sharing this.
sure, no problem

Christgau's the GOAT he's the only one that recognizes Soulja Boy's artistry

Don't research him. Your mind is still pure. The less you know about him, the better.

marcelsmusicjournal.com/post/141932227158/album-review-the-field-the-follower

is this even a review?

its dead and leave it that way

Marcel is sort of like if weird twitter decided to start a music blog.

I genuinely like Scaruffi, why do people hate him?
>inb4 pedo

are you defending those ratings, cause that's laughable too

nobody cares about him outside of Cred Forums and the memes

youtube.com/watch?v=L3E0kq9YkjA
>The Needle Drop "review" where Anthony basically shits on Corey Feldman for 50 minutes
Jesus, leave the man alone. He was molested in his childhood and is obviously not very well mentally. Was a review the length of a children's movie really necessary?

That's a pretty odd reason to hate him, user

i mean, they're all terrible artists, but i don't see how you could take me defending those ratings out of that post. i was just giving an example.

his high ratings are great, but his mid ratings are just frustrating. i have total respect for him using the full range of the scale, but many of his more contrarian views just dont appeal

I like him
I knew him before I'd even heard of Cred Forums let alone Cred Forums. Maybe I'm an exception, but oh well. He does have his following outside of this board

I like Deep_Cuts

youtube.com/watch?v=UyXbUzm-Tv0

I personally don't like his reviews because (a) he's a total rockist and (b) he's infamous for being hard to impress. All of his scores are harshly low. It's rare for anyone to ever get anything over a 4/10.
I don't know why everybody else seems to dislike him, but those are my reasons.

Good. Having children is morally reprehensible. To procreate us to violate someone's human rights (to freedom in particular) then sentence them to decades of labor and suffering followed by death.

It's worse than abortion.

>what do we do now?
listen to and explore music without someone holding your hand and/or make friends in real life who are interested in music

also pitchfork has always been shit, and memes aside rym and last.fm are more useful than most review websites (besides the quietus)

young thug isn't terrible

in fact he's one of the few rappers (as in, like under 6) who are doing something innovative

what is this fucking quietus meme?

Hey Marcel

wait, how is he at all innovative? he literally sounds like every other trap rapper on the radio right now. he's generic as fuck.

ITT: Marcel starts up his shilling again

it's just a really intellectual website that doesn't use a rating system and gives such mediocre albums as gazelle twin's unflesh album of the year

>26 posters
>most of the posts are critical of marcel
yeah this is some serious shilling going on

you're late to the thread

fucking stop spamming this in every thread you fucking samefag

I am really pissed off about the direction Anthony took his thatistheplan channel.
It used to be funny little bits without being overly obnoxious, as well as music reviews he felt weren't polished enough for the main channel, and even just his thoughts on things unrelated to the music industry.
Now it's all "THE MEME REVIEW" which only children find entertaining.

'Sup Marcel

yeah i know

that's because Metro Boomin and 808 Mafia and Southside are on every track now. young thug was one of the people that broke them through

his flows are interesting in the way he emphasizes and draws out and slurs words, he's like an r&b trap rapper that has compositional prowess. nothing really sounds like his rapping style atm. lil yachty is a bad knockoff and future's schemes usually stay in the same time signature

>THE WORST ALBUM OF 2016
>THE CRINGIEST KID ON THE PLANET
their titles are becoming similar holy shit

>Expecting a mentally sick trap to not be an attention whore

yeah same tbqh. went from life advice to sam hyde lite. now this meme shit
His recent reviews have been awful also

Anyway, back to the original topic, if music review sites decided to get Marcel/TMT-type weird with how they write/their coverage then I think that could make music journalism interesting again and revive a new type of posting on this board.

it's the logical conclusion to the channel. maybe you just don't like it because it makes it blindingly obvious that the stuff you like about him is retarded

I hope so.

holy fucking shit how are you a real person

what do you mean? his videos have always been drenched in post-irony and lolsorandom humor, now he's just dialled it up to the max. sorry you had shit taste

>It's rare for anyone to ever get anything over a 4/10.
wrong...he gives most albums 6-7/10s.

More like who would even fuck you, right? :^D

Marcel is a fucking retard too, shame on anyone who takes him seriously

To answer OP, yes it's dead.

>wait, how is he at all innovative? he literally sounds like every other trap rapper on the radio right now
I'm sure you can work this one out for yourself

This also.

???

are you retarded? I don't even like rap, but if someone's innovative, pointing out that other people sound like him doesn't really contradict that since people generally like to copy trendy sounds

I will form a blog soon.

I'm the best writer in music right now, I know my shit and my opinions are good ones. You'll know me.

He did, it was one of the most insufferable reviews I've ever read in my life.

i was just asking how is he innovative because he literally sounds generic as fuck. nothing "innovative" about him.

You think you're hot shit, huh, kid? Well, listen, this town ain't big enough for everyone. You'll never be the next Pitchfork, the next Marcel's Music Journal, the next TMT, or even the next Gorilla vs Bear.

You're dead meat, kid.

Music is creatively dead.

Fuck indie. Fuck nigger music. Fuck artsy pop trash. Fuck postmodernism. Fuck everything. It's all shit. We need to start over.

k

totally agree. ppl act like your crazy when you say it though

Unified messaging is functionally dead.

Fuck Whatsapp. Fuck Snapchat. Fuck Allo. Fuck kik. Fuck Messenger. It's all shit. We need to start over.

shit analogy

wouldn't that mean your life is a mistake?
why haven't you killed yourself yet?

are you fucking dense

are you?

post ur soundcloud brah

kek pleb

What's some good outsider house?

what

just read the quietus and get your recs from youtube or something
i havent read a non-quietus music review in months and i find at least one new album to listen to every day

reviews are sorta pointless if you can stream most everything

the only thing that matters are people w/ good taste who assign ratings to albums in a consistent manner

that's why RYM is really useful for me

I've been on Cred Forums for 6 years now.
Never cared about p4k's review since majority of them are written garbage that I can barely understand
TMT is another vomit mess.
all my of recs have been from other artist I like influences or stuff they post on twitter/fb
samples from songs I like
Cred Forums chart threads
rym lists
youtube comments and suggestions
Honestly prefer resident advisors reviews than majority of the popular sites reviews

this.

>reviews are sorta pointless if you can stream most everything
Yeah everybody should be forced through wade through mountains of trash Bandcamp ambient to get to the good stuff.

If you can "barely understand" Pitchfork you are borderline retarded, sorry

that's why you follow people with similar taste and get recs, but don't really need to read reviews.

People with similar taste go for new albums that sound like old albums that they already like.

If it weren't for music publications, the Velvet Underground would have stayed obscure. Remember that, there is no reason to throw them away.

uh

I need a famous Cred Forums tripfag to review my album
i'd prefer it not be montie

never said you have to wade through everthing

saying that getting good recs from people who do is the way to go

i just happen to enjoy going through bandcamp stuff

well put

that was before the internet
publications are useless now

this tbqhwyfam

support groups in your area or listen to new music theres so many people making music that it's really not that hard to find some good bands/artists

critics are failures all of them they cannot create so they judge the work of others so that they can feel connected to something beyond themselves without actually putting in the work and effort to truly become an artist themselves

Here's your (You)
[tips le fedora]

>generally nice in public
> 100! Love me some Gira! Nicest guy ever! Must b saint

I think critics prevent others, especially this goddamn board, from coming to a critique of their own or just discussing music in general because they absorb the opinion of said critics.
I wish this board was less of "hot new indie album", memes and barely music related shit like "blue colored albums!"