And that, my friends, is why professional music journalism is an oxymoron

And that, my friends, is why professional music journalism is an oxymoron.

the idea of criticism has ruined art, prove me wrong

I agree with him.

me in the middle

No criticism is good aslong as you still make up your own decisions and don't relate on a strangers opinion just because he has a website/youtube channel.

On the contrary. The thought that anything could be anything, identities or art, has ruined everything. But, it is only a symptom.

>and this, my friends, is why I can't handle opinions

did you even listen to it or are you just being a fucking faggot

fuck nick cave btw

Whoever wrote the Backstreet Boys songs was a pop songwriting genius. Sure they were just a manufactured band of attractive men with decent singing voices, but the songs were genuinely well-written and still hold up today...

What did he mean by this?

I mean, yeah, some of Christgau's longer columns about music history are kind of interesting even though there's no way he'll ever convince me that Bruce Springsteen is better than RHCP.

Nah, only the commercial idea of criticism, reducing an album to a grade.

he's barely a critic, he's just an ideologue

Lester Bangs at least wrote a whole essay on whatever album he was reviewing.

kek

Is there anybody on the planet with worse taste in music than Robert Cristgau?

Other than disliking meal (which anyone over 14 should) his music tastes aren't so far from Cred Forums's.

>he'll ever convince me that Bruce Springsteen is better than RHCP

nice one

Springsteen in all seriousness isn't that good.

>needing the best backing band in the world to make his _extremely_ limited voice and guitar sound remotely decent

>yfw hipster faggots like Bangs and Xgau claimed that only the Stooges and Ramones are real rock-and-roll near me

Some 40 year old Jewish guy who works for Viacom (most likely).

great review senpai

I don't think it has ruined anything, but I believe it has made art more prone to stagnation. When critics spread their subjective opinions as truth, art becomes standardized based on what appeals to them. This is caused by Pitchfork, Rolling Stone, and every other music site. Originality is increasingly uncommon in art nowadays and one of the main reasons is that critics think they're setting standards for quality when in reality they're limiting creativity as a whole.

And RHCP are in all seriousness, good?

>the idea of criticism has ruined art
Art is often criticism itself, and its made for an audience and requires their response to function. So, no, it sort of depends on it entirely.
Music is the same, as is every pursuit involving an audience.