How bad was your taste in music in your teenage years?

How bad was your taste in music in your teenage years?

I was a massive fan of nu metal. Linkin Park, Korn, Slipknot, Disturbed, System of a Down, Mudvayne, Static-X, Dope, and many other bands were the soundtrack of my angst.

I still listen to Deftones though.

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=6J9ayHYClw8
youtube.com/watch?v=08Xz_P8yiEA
youtu.be/RhHkUg-QCwk
youtube.com/watch?v=IhOqTkmJa40
twitter.com/SFWRedditGifs

I listened to post-hardcore, screamo, emo, metalcore, and death metal.

a whole lot of Pop, my friend

youtube.com/watch?v=6J9ayHYClw8

First half of teenage years was Nu Metal, Thrash Metal, Black Metal, Death Metal and Power Metal.

Second half of teenage years was Drum & Bass. Only Drum & Bass.

Bad times man.

some of those genres aren't bad, just a lot of the bands within them are trash.
nu metal is pretty much 100% trash, though

What death metal bands did you listen to?

I was full on NME core for years. In 2001, my favourite bands were probably:
The White Stripes
The Vines
The Libertines
The Strokes
The Cooper Temple Clause
The Hives
Black Rebel Motorcycle Club

HOWEVER, I used to like, and still do, Radiohead, The Beatles, Bowie, The Pixies, Pink Floyd and Led Zeppelin.

13-15: Green Day and dad rock. I went through a wrong generation phase

16-17: Mumford and sons, of monsters and men, Arctic monkeys, other tumblr-core

17-19: AJJ, The Front Bottoms, Ramshackle Glory

Mostly harmless dad-rock Pink Floyd, Guns N' Roses, Black Sabbath the list goes on...

Death Grips

Wrong generation dadrock listener initially (Beatles, Queen) then started listening to metal (Iron Maiden, Opeth, Ayreon). The transition to metal helped with learning to branch out and listen to stuff outside my comfort zone, though so it was good in the long run.

i'm monitoring this thread

Guns n Roses, Avenged Sevenfold, Korn, Metallica, Slipknot and Rage Against the Machine (I still listen to this one though)

I got into Radiohead, Nine Inch Nails, Death Cab and some other good bands when I was 14 but I also still listened to shit like Bring Me the Horizon, Pierce the Veil, Simple Plan, etc. through most of high school

Classic Trash and dad rock but also some folk rock kinda stuff. Entry level hip hop a bit later to. Stuff like Wu and 2pac.

I don't get drum and bass. It all sounds the fucking same to me. What's the appeal my man?

The only bands I still listen to from back then are Black Sabbath, Metallica and Slayer.

This is what LP used to be

youtube.com/watch?v=08Xz_P8yiEA

I didn't even like music until I was 18.

>Deftones is the only good Nu-Metal band xD
Stop this meme

12: Deathcore, metalcore, (shitty) post-hardcore
13: Nu metal, alternative metal.
14: Art rock, progressive rock, alternative rock
15 (actually): The same as 14 but either post-rock, shoegaze, dream pop, jazz fusion, and psychedelics.

12 to 14 - 'le wrong generation' dad rock, power metal, nu metal and thrash
15 to 17 - p4k core
18-19 - expanded to giving most things at least a try, specifically went hunting for albums that were highly praised

14: Lots of Beatles, Led Zep, The Who. I was never a wrong generation kid but I really felt that music was better in the 60s/70s
15: Started getting into hip-hop through Beastie Boys and N.W.A. and stuff
16: Got into metal through Rammstein and got really into Moonsorrow
17: Found about about shoegaze and then found Cred Forums and started listening to anything I could find that sounded remotely interesting

I don't really feel bad about my teenage years. I said a lot about music being better in the 60s and 70s but, I liked a lot of 60s and 70s music and still do. I still listen to pretty much everything I did so, not very cringey at all.

>10-12 Linkin Park
>13-15 rock radio music, soad, limp bizkit, the who
>16-18 gorillaz, franz ferdinand, kaiser chiefs, the who, the doors, daft punk, justice
>19 prog rock
>20 discovery of Cred Forums
you know the rest famalam

around 15 when i finally started buying CDs and listening to lots of albums, I was mostly into entry-level thrash and black metal. Then around 16 I got really into prog rock. I'm 24 now and my taste has broadened a lot but prog and metal are still 2 of my favorite genres

I was a massive Iron Maiden fan, to the point that I had everything Iron Maiden. Iron Maiden Vans shoes, Iron Maiden belt, Iron Maiden Tshirt, Iron Maiden vest... I'm glad I never had the stupid idea of getting an Iron Maiden tattoo.

Not But if you listen to drum and bass with an interesting melody, its great.
Sample: youtu.be/RhHkUg-QCwk

I was really into Norwegian black metal... Burzum, Mayhem, Enslaved, Emperor, Darkthrone, Dark Funeral, Marduk, etc.

Only band on the list I still kinda like is Emperor.

I had a brief Pop-Punk era: Mostly Green Day, Blink-182, Sum 41, The Offspring (I still listen to them sometimes), MyChemical Romace and even Simple Plan.

Good Times.

most stuff I liked from 14 on I can still listen to

at the drive in/the mars volta, deftones, mastodon, the fall of troy and alice in chains are all pretty good

on the other hand, the mere thought that I used to listen to coheed and cambria and dance gavin dance makes me want to kill myself

I listened a lot to Moby, Fatboy Slim, Incubus, and Coldplay on VH1. So I probably had better taste than the meme music I listen to now would imply.

I listened to nothing but hardcore punk and similar microgenres until I was 16, then I got into Cred Forumscore

goth anything.. Christian Death, Gene Loves Jezebel, Nosferatu, the Cure, Sex Gang Children, etc... I even got into a fight with some guy at my school because he said Marilyn Manson was goth... heh.

now I pretty much only like jazz

Cybergoth trash music, mallgoth trash music, some EBM, black metal, death metal, thrash metal, folk metal, power metal

Early teens: Dragonforce, Nightwish, Disturbed, Children of Bodom, Metallica, Iron Maiden and Rammstein. Sometimes liked hard trance.

Mid teens: EBM happens. Skinny Puppy, Psyclon Nine, Combichrist, Agonoize, Solitary Experiments, Feindflug, Blutengel, Terminal Choice, X-Fusion, The Crüxshadows and Suicide Commando are my favorite artists. Besides that, I also listened to Dimmu Borgir, Cradle of Filth and Nightwish a lot.

Late teens: ditched most of the mallgoth metal, started listening to death, thrash, power, folk, black, heavy and glam metal. Still listened to EBM, also started listening to more cybergoth 'industrial rave' trash. Favorite artists were Noisuf-X, Suicide Commando, Psyclon Nine, FGFC820, Cannibal Corpse, Lamb of God, Amon Amarth, Ensiferum, Alestorm, Metallica, Megadeth, Iron Maiden, Black Sabbath and Dimmu Borgir (mostly older albums).

Now: I'm 23 and shit, idk. I've mostly stopped caring about genres. Favorite artists are Varien, Alice in Chains, Solar Fields, Archive, My Chemical Romance, Apoptygma Berzerk, Alter Bridge, Stone Sour, Cage the Elephant, Judas Priest and Kyuss.

Linkin Park, Nickelback, Breaking Benjamin, Nirvana, Slipknot (i used to do the hardcore maggot shit) for the first part.
A really weird Power/Black metal phase (i actually really enjoyed this part)
Then Full-on Indie/alternative or anything praised in those circles, mostly Oasis and Daft Punk.
Then i stopped caring.

But system of a down is good

13-15: Aesop Rock, Cannibal Ox, Clouddead, NIN
16-17: Wu Tang, Busta rhymes, Jay Z, BIG, basically a lot of boom bap, a little free jazz
18-19: Lil B, Riff Raff, Chief Keef, Screwed up click, a lot of bay area rap, and a lot more diversified music since then

12: Post-grunge. Breaking Benjamin, TDG, the list goes on.
14: Post-rock. Tons of GY!BE and EITS, also Red Sparowes. A bit of melodeath (Dark Tranquility, Arch Enemy)
16: Add The National to the mix
18: Found Cred Forums

I listened to post-britpop like Coldplaz, Elbow and Keane, some classical music and post-punk revival like Franz Ferdinand and Interpol

It was weird
In my teenage years I was in love with rap/hip hop
Examples are Ice Cube,Grand Puba,Del da funke homosapien,Immortal Technique,People Under The Stairs
And I slowly drifted to rock,metal (ofc went through the nu-metal phase) and now death metal
Examples are Bloodbath,Cryptopsy,infant annihilator,Fleshgod Apocalypse,Nile,Dying Fetus

Your taste got progressively worse

Hi, are you me and almost everyone else aged late 20s to mid 30s?

I heard in a podcast that starting around age 14 is when you really get cemented in your musical tastes. Maybe it's bullshit but by that time I was also getting into the numetal world, before that it was mostly just alternative rock on the radio like Weezer and Smashmouth.

Also pop-punk. NOFX, Blink 182, Sum 41.

Nine Inch Nails was probably my most defining group.

By the time I was 16-18 I was getting into babby's first black metal bands like Cradle of Filth and Immortal, as well as not-pop punk like Anti-Flag and Crass and The Casualties.

By 19-20 I was also into emo and grindcore.

By 21-22 I realized that listening exclusively to metal and punk, with all of its dumb subgenres, was making me constantly angry and nervous and paranoid and sad. I briefly went through a horrorcore phase which wasn't any better.

Since 22-23 is when I finally broke loose. I started listening to music genres that were as far-removed as metal/punk as possible. Pop, reggaeton, all sorts of EDM even before it became a mainstream meme, classical, j-pop, jazz, trip-hop, rap, etc.

Overall I wouldn't say that my music taste as a teen was BAD, but it was extremely generic for its time and very limited.

I also remember being into Linkin Park and the Slipknot kids made fun of me for being into fake metal, and the Slayer kids making fun of the Slipknot kids, and the one kid being into Burzum and other black metal bands who just hung out by himself and started fires in the corner of the schoolyard.

I was a big ICP fan...may God forgive me

when I was 13
Daft Punk
Gorillaz
Green Day
The Hives
Deadmau5

I love drum n bass to this day. It's something you either like or don't i think. The drums just sound so good to me, like they've got momentum or something (hard to explain). And it doesn't all sound the same.
youtube.com/watch?v=IhOqTkmJa40
Popular electronic music

ICP was cool hell back in the day.

I mean assuming that you were a teen and juggalo in the 90s, not like a few years ago...

>nu-metal is pretty much 100% trash though
Pleb. Listen to Snot, Flapjack, Nothingface, Velcra, Pulse Ultra, Filter and Mudvayne.

not really drumnbass
i'd just call it breakcore (yes there is a difference)

I listened to lounge music mixes near 24/7 throughout my highschool years

kek
get on my level
I listened to Linkin Park
Evanescence
Slipknot
Stone Sour
Simple Plan
Nickelback
SOAD
Avril Lavigne
Sum 41
Three Days Grace
god damn it, most rock music is garbage now that i think of it.

Ages 11-14 I basically just listened to soundtracks from stuff and single songs. Feel Good Inc was a favorite of mine for a while. I think the first CD I bought on my own was Immersion (not great)

Sophomore year of high school I found The Killers and Arctic Monkeys and the rest of the generic indie rock bs and was really into that stuff for a month or two but after that a friend showed me Kid A and sent me down the rabbit hole

10-13: radio trash
14-15: dad rock, radio trash, pop punk
16-19: punk, 80's hardcore, grindcore, still some radio trash
20-25: Cred Forumscore
25-28 (now): down tempo, ambient, field recordings, sound collages, dark ambient, occasionally Musique Concrete.

Except for Avril Lavigne and Nickleback, that reads like the typical front page of Revolver Magazine from 1999 to like 2003

Trashy industrial metal and cybergoth/mallgoth shit in my early teens. Rammstein, Marilyn Manson, Nine Inch Nails, Rob Zombie, all sorts of shameful cybergoth/EBM/aggrotech shit I'd rather not talk about.

When I was 15 or so I got into The Cure and Godflesh and Killing Joke and started developing a proper music taste from there on out.

god damn that music was horrible.

Nas, 2pac, Biggie, WuTang, Rakim

Pretty generic.

kek

It's cringe shit looking back on it now, and maybe it's notalgia speaking but god damn it was at least more varied than the shit that today's kids listen to.

Back then you had rap and pop and the precursor to EDM, but you also had pop-punk and numetal and alternative rock and other genres in the mainstream culture.

Most interesting post itt

>Strapping Young Lad, early Burzum, noisy black metal
>Power noise and dark ambient
>Psych-folk

I wasn't an edgy kid or anything, really kind of sweet and quiet, just got most of my music from pre-Cred Forums nerds on Soulseek.

7-9: dadrock, and only that
10-13: nu-metal, pop rock
14-16: idm, ambient, glitch, downtempo, post-rock. discovered discogs and i did lots of label digging
17-20: shoegaze, dream pop harsh noise, industrial, ebm, post-punk, goth, new wave, minimal synth
21-23: chillwave, drone, hypnagogic pop, psych pop
24-27: got back into noise and (death) industrial, neofolk, power electronics, hardcore, powerviolence, grindcore
28: the same shit as 14 until 27.

bump

I only listened to the Black Keys and video game soundtrack remixes, until I heard a single Tribe Called Quest song and then I became a "Boom-bap is the only real hip hop" kid for a while until I put all that behind me and started giving more genres a chance

Slipknot and SOAD are the best out of that mix. For all the shit slipknot get they are the most experimental band like themselves.

SOAD's first album is solid gold.

13-14: Whatever pop stuff on the radio I happened to like.
15: Went on a Beatles binge, they were the first artist/band I ever really got into. Talking about listening to all of their albums, watching the Anthology on a weekly basis, etc.
16: Then I went on a Dylan binge and this greatly expanded my tastes cause I went on the lookout for his influences and those he influenced. Got into Odetta, Blind Willie Johnson, Guthrie, Jimmie Rodgers, etc. I also started posting on Cred Forums at this time and got into Cred Forumscore, NMH, Death Grips, Janelle Monae (was Cred Forumscore at the time), Newsom, etc.
17: Started using rym and then my tastes expanded even more, even though roots related stuff was still most of what I listened to, at least 50%.
18-19: Discovered Townes Van Zandt and Blaze Foley, still listened to a lot of stuff, still used rym but now most of what I listened to was country specifically.

Now at 20 I find myself listening to music a lot less.

bump

Literally just dadrock and the most entry-level nu-metal.
At age 20 I still mostly only listen to dadrock and I unironically enjoy old Disturbed, A7X, and SOAD
Hotline Miami also got me into synthwave

14-19 used to listen to garbage like radiohead, pixies, trail of dead

tastes have evolved since then for the better

So did my life

primus
red hot chili peppers
brand new
janes addiction
the strokes
jimmy eat world
sublime
queens of the stone age