This is underrated as fuck. It's just as good or even better than Freewheelin' in my opinion...

This is underrated as fuck. It's just as good or even better than Freewheelin' in my opinion, With God on Our Side is a fucking masterpiece.

What do you think of this album and what are some other Bob Dylan albums that you think are overrated?

>some other Bob Dylan albums that you think are overrated
How about you discuss the music instead of fans reaction to the music?

Shit I meant underrated.

How about you start your own thread if you want to discuss the music explicitly? Of course explaining why they think an album is underrated would mean talking about the music but I'm sure you didn't think that far.

Agreed

Wow thanks for contributing you fucking idiots. Would it have pleased you if I instead worded it like "lets talk about Bob Dylan's underrated albums" I don't want to hear people talk about Blonde on Blonde for the millionth time.

John Wesley Harding especially St. Augustine, Drifter's Escape and of course All along the Watchtower.

The first half of the album really reminds me of the latter (acoustic) half of BIABH which I feel is some of Dylan's strongest "folk" pieces.

Meant to quote

THANK YOU!! Genuinely my favorite pre-Blonde on Blonde Dylan Album

If you like the political commentary on this album I suggest you check out:

Phil Ochs - I Ain't Marching Anymore

The CIA literally had 1,000 pages of info on the guy and after hunting him down he moved to columbia or some shit for political asilome, or however the fuck that's spelled

I really like John Wesley Harding too, forgoing the fact that All Along the Watchtower is one of Dylan's greatest songs the album feels like the most "comfy" Dylan album but I can't quite put my finger on why it is. It's distinctly folk rock just like Blonde on Blonde which came before it but the production feels more toned down and the playing is more mellow throughout. I think the transition from Blonde on Blonde to JWH is one of the most interesting in Dylan's career.

Definitely, the second half of the album seems to foreshadow Dylan's move into rustic almost country music in NS.

As for comfy it might be the fact the songs on the first half of the album have a fable like quality. St. Augustine, John Wesley Harding and Judas Priest deal with the stories of one particular character each. This is quite different to Dylan's earlier other work which is either based on real life, is is from his point of view or features numerous literary allusions. This focus on one character is almost going back to the roots of folk as tales and ballads.

Also what's your opinion on Nashville Skyline? I feel that there's a few good songs but it feels as if Dylan took a step back by imitating country.

My biggest gripe with Nashville Skyline is definitely his voice. It just doesn't seem like it's even Dylan singing and it just feels weird to listen to. I don't care much for the country-inspired songwriting either, like you said it just feels like dumbed down Dylan. I will have to say though that the NS version of Girl from the North Country was very close to being better than the original for me. The slow strumming makes it feel more epic and it's a completely different beast from the original which is much more intimate. The reason I don't care for it that much is because of Cash's contribution.

I think he just wanted to change the sound of his voice after a while. moving away from his Subterranean Homesick Blues sounding nasally voice

But that's exactly the problem for me. Dylan had an aloof persona and was known for being stubborn in the face of pressure ( going electric etc.). To imitate a country style of singing in a way that almost seems to suggest he's aiming for a broader market is everything Dylan isn't. Sure it's nicer sounding but this change along with the unoriginal writing on NS meant Dylan lost his unique charm and the album feels like a generic country album.

>also inb4 hipster/ muh sekrit club etc.

Blood on the Tracks is always my favorite

I don't have a problem with it, I actually think it's pretty neat

my brother asked me who sings on Lay Lady Lay & why would he have someone else sing his song. I just laughed. I said that is Dylan, he changed his voice to a more country-ish sound. & then I gave him a copy of Nashville Skyline. now he really likes it

With God By Our Side is great, even if he did plagiarize it.

I really like John Wesley Harding, other than this and Blond on Blonde (which I don't like as much) I don't know any Bob Dylan. What album do you recommend

Try Blood on the Tracks and Desire.

What are you into, user?

I know you said you didn't like Blonde or Blonde but maybe try Highway 61 revisited or Bringing it all Back Home their certainly different to BB.

If you prefer the folkier aspects in JWH go for Freewheeling (personal favourite) and Times they are a Changin'.

If you like the last rustic half of JWH go for NS-it's not a bad album in it's own right just not really a Dylan one

There's also Blood on the Tracks and Tempest which gets mentioned a lot but I just have a preference for Early (1960s) Dylan.

Thanks

I like the minimalist and melancholy feel on John Wesley Harding. I don't know how to describe it, I just enjoyed it instantly. Blonde on Blonde is too bluesy for me at times. Also I think there's a lot of unneccessary instruments going on in the background.

was in the same position when it comes to NS till like a week ago. finally clicked. i think it was his duet with cash at the start that threw the whole thing off for me at first. stacking him up with a talented singer was a mistake. dylan's a goat vocalist but a really really face-clawingly horsefuck singer, if that makes sense.

NS has some of his prettiest songs though

Definitely check out Freewheeling and Times they are a changin'- pretty much just him, a guitar and a harmonica. Might wanna give BIABH a go as well the instrumentation is electric but nowhere near as opulent as blonde on blonde.