Post Punk thread

Some days ago i met a post punk chick, well she was into a bunch of music she qualified as "big", but mostly post punk stuff. I am really not into post punk. I dont get it. I find it so boring, repetitive and pretendious.
Does anyone listening to post punk have any advice to give me?

Other urls found in this thread:

youtu.be/X0Zvl0CoMmI
youtu.be/IHECQI0VKqo
youtu.be/cJRP3LRcUFg
youtu.be/byCqOvRMOvo
youtu.be/iRFgXkyTi-Y
youtube.com/watch?v=vdLuk2Agamk
youtube.com/watch?v=TK1P93r9xes
youtube.com/watch?v=mo57Z4u308E
youtube.com/watch?v=jxMkKEDVjrU
youtube.com/watch?v=A9sMZ_5NjM8
youtube.com/watch?v=nRawS8OSQb0
extrazoom.com/image-28745.html
youtube.com/watch?v=gEQHhMNxr3Q
youtube.com/watch?v=jxhBtke9FtUBeen
robertchristgau.com/xg/bk-cg80/in_post.php
youtube.com/watch?v=yN4PfMfafhw
youtube.com/watch?v=gXNhL4J_S00
youtube.com/watch?v=zpaqBXc5MTk
youtube.com/watch?v=9NwEIH5LXxk
twitter.com/SFWRedditVideos

*pretentious

U2 - War

i really have no fucking idea how people listen to post punk

If you don't like
Wire
pop group
joy division
television
gang of four
pere ubu
this heat

then don't force yourself sheesh. not everybody can understand certain genres of music. post punk isn't for you

>post-punk

Thats totally gay and not post punk

>u2
>postpunk
literally what

what is it then

Pop rock

i really used to be into joy division, i guess i worn them out.
i find pop group interesting, but it wont make me say "fuck that is so good i am feeling it". Is there any way i can like change my perspective and see a new side to this genre?
What is the whole sexual connotation of post-punk?

Get outta my thread

so is joy division, post-punk and pop rock aren't mutually exclusive

arena rock/pop/soft rock

I really fucking like that guitar tone that goes like this.
youtu.be/X0Zvl0CoMmI

U2 were post-punk though. Are you fucking retarded?

I tried getting into the Smiths and honestly took me a few listens because it all sounded the same, but it clicked after a bit. Post punk is mostly for depressed kids to relate to. They usually have jangly guitar with sweet ass bass lines or hooks.

youtu.be/IHECQI0VKqo
youtu.be/cJRP3LRcUFg
youtu.be/byCqOvRMOvo
youtu.be/iRFgXkyTi-Y

The Smiths is Jangle Pop.

Is
The smith, tom waits, the cure post punk?
She also likes the velvet underground (she says they are the ones who started it "all".
Well these are quite known bands. Of course i know these and used to listen to them excessively.

But she hates post rock...why the fuck? slint, gybe, eits, low...i love that shit.

So the smiths aren't post-punk but fucking U2 are????? nigga wut

U2 are NOT post-punk. Stop with your shitty meme.

Their early stuff is. It has all the musical characteristics of post-punk.

no not really
maybe that girl is in love with the post punk aesthetic more so than the music
Post rock doesn't have any of that atm

The smiths are very entry level, i have been listening to them since i was 12.
They are more "indie" than post punk.
Give me something that defines post-punk.
Give me some advice about how to appreciate/look at this boring musical movement.
Post people! Post post-punk!

Maybe not now, but during the post-punk movement, yes. They were at one point post punk.

>i met a post punk chick

Where??? My dream gf would like post-punk as much as I do.

i like modern post-punk a lot more than i like older post punk

some good modern post-punk bands include:
Ought(really really good)
Women(really really really good)
Telstar Drugs(really really really good)(rip)
Viet Cong pre name change fuck that new album
Omni
Freak Heat Waves

no just fucking stop it

tell me more about that. So what defines its aesthetic?

RONALD REAGAN I AGREEEEEEEEEEE

do you have more like that album, i love it

>Give me something that defines post-punk.
youtube.com/watch?v=vdLuk2Agamk

Early U2 fits in perfectly with bands like The Sound, Echo & The Bunnymen, The Chameleons or early New Order, all of which are bands whose post-punk status never gets contested.

You're a fucking idiot if you think early U2 wasn't post-punk.

Did you listen to any of my examples you pleb? I gave you post punk artists moron
I was using Smiths to just talk about my first listen into the area

>that bassline
>that reverb
>that jangle
>that moodiness
how can people say this ISN'T post-punk

nononono. Viet Cong? No way.
The bands you are mentioning are influenced by older post punk bands, nothing original. I need the influences of the post punk, i need the history.

youtube.com/watch?v=TK1P93r9xes

>acting like you know what you're talking about
What Green Day was to punk, U2 was to post punk. Good in their genre, but hit pop once they gained popularity.
What have you listened by U2?

youtube.com/watch?v=mo57Z4u308E

this record is pretty archetypal, i guess.

DDDUUUDEEE OKAY THEY ARE POST PUNK, BUT THEY HAVE BONO. STOP. ITS GAY POST PUNK

Stop this isn't funny, you're not being funny by posting these

Is this U2's War?

No.
God what a pleb

Hhhhhmmmm...
This is more about the synth side.
What about the Goth side? The bauhaus Post-Rock

what would you recommend instead?

early goth rock is amazing. this shit sounds like Shellac

youtube.com/watch?v=jxMkKEDVjrU

Actual post punk. And from the 80s

youtube.com/watch?v=A9sMZ_5NjM8

fuck off with this u2 bollocks, if they're post-punk than coldplay is fucking techno

that's from the 80s, and what's not actual about it?

He's just a retard. The Sound is great. Have you heard Propaganda?

>nothing original
ok, susan

"i cant escape myself" sounds like a song by an indie band est.2013

truth hurts huh?

haven't.
is it on the level of Jeopardy or just an interesting alternate version?

well then it's a good thing that The Sound did it in 1980, so no one would get confused.

Ah yes, I'm sure people in the 80s referred it to as indie rock.
What do you even want? Some music to make you look like some tryhard of an already dead genre?

Guys I need all the help i can get on this one.
She absolutely loves Brainbimbs.
I really cant keep thinking how ridiculous these songs would sound if they were made today.

I need advice on appreciating that too. Any similars.

Also cant reply to everyone but thanks for the post-punk recommendations. Reccomend me more core albums/artists. That defined the genre.
And something similar to the post punk side of bauhaus.

Joy Division - Closer
Gang of Four - Entertainment!
Pere Ubu - The Modern Dance
Public Image Ltd. - Metal Box
Television - Marquee Moon
The Pop Group - Y
This Heat - Deceit

Just listen to these. This is the absolute core of post-punk and also imo the best the genre has to offer.

>big
you mean fat?

It's mostly unreleased material, much more raw and closer to punk. More anxious and less depressive imo. I actually like this version of Missiles a bit better

youtube.com/watch?v=nRawS8OSQb0

Also, if you're into paranoid minimal synth stuff try Adrian Borland's stuff in Second Layer, pretty interesting stuff.

It's crazy how much of these "revivalists" straight ripped from bands like Comsat Angels, Josef K and the Teardrop Explodes. Though these are the less experimental side of post-punk, it's a shame they didn't try to mimic the forward-thinking / futuristic stuff.

Red Lorry Yellow Lorry, Scratch Acid (not goth, but similar), perhaps Love and Rockets and Daniel Ash's other projects, The Danse Society, Red Temple Spirits (a bit more psychedelic). Also, Siekiera.

BTW, I recommend all of you guys read Rip It Up and Start Again by Simon Reynolds. It's a fascinating read and covers a lot of ground on the whole post-punk phenomena. Tons of obscure, great bands too.

been listening to a lot of solo Colin Newman, so more paranoid synth music sounds great, thanks.

Thanks for all that.
Any advice on how to appreciate them? what is the mood and setting? You know...the whole philosophy?

What about brainbombs, any comments on that?

someone rec'd me this album in a post punk thread
it's damn good

Need more info guys.
Brainbombs
Coil
The Cure
Wire
Pop group

She was into that.

everytime i think this board can't go any worse, you always prove me otherwise

i bet you plebs didn't even listen to early u2
yes, you are plebs for NOT listening to fucking U2 this time

ask her

>Any advice on how to appreciate them?

That's kind of a loaded question. I think it boils down to just having an open mind and seeing what you enjoy, but I tend to take a historical approach to it as well. A lot of bands wanted to take the back-to-basics and anyone-can-do-it approach of punk, but were tired of the whole 3 chord bash and wanted to do something experimental/non-rock without returning to the 10 minute suites of progressive rock bands of the 70s. The fact that post-punk drew so many non-musicians really speaks for the ethos of the music - tons of ideas, not necessarily technical ability. I think the Raincoats' 2nd album is kind of archetypal for this mentality... I know this sounded really disjointed, torrent the Reynolds book and read the first couple chapters to see what I mean.

You definitely need an open mind for the noiser, more confrontational stuff like the No Wave scene, or UK bands like the Pop Group or the Slits. However, there's also tons of stuff that's very funk and disco influenced like Pylon or Au Pairs, in general much more accessible. And then there's very gloomy, very atmospheric / dream pop stuff like many of the bands Joy Division influenced, such as the Names or Asylum Party. There's very commercial and accessible stuff.There are bands for every taste imo.

Lastly, I don't recommend getting into an artistic movement just to impress a girl. Just my personal experience

Here's a recent find, a fantastic No Wave girl group from the 90s called the Scissor Girls. Absolutely deranged stuff.

Listen to their acclaimed albums, form your own opinions... what are you looking for exactly?

We are done now. She blocked me after having sex, we clearly were different people. I just wanted to know what this whole idea of post punk is.
What i am actually looking for are actual insights of the philosophy of the music, as teeny as it may be.

existentialism

Yeah man, thanks, i wanted to hear some "historic info". Nice.
Yeah she was really into noise too. Also sonic youth.

Yeah like i am mentoining below, it is not for the girl...it just is so bizarre that i cant get into this genre at all. I just want to know how people who listen to that think, what are their insights, what attracts them to it.

Any people that used to hear to post punk and have some reasons that made them grow sick of it would be great to share their thoughts.

Scissor girls are some skanky bitches

DUDE

yes?

the fall
Wire
coil
pop group
joy division
television
gang of four
pere ubu
this heat
public image limited
echo & the bunnymen
sioxsie and the banshees
the slits
the chameleons
the raincoats
Killing joke
Bauhaus
the smiths
orange juice
the borthday party
this heat
cocteau twins
young marble giants
au pairs
Do you guys have the slightest idea of post-punk?

>Do you guys have the slightest idea of post-punk?
lol, pretentious faggot

the wikipedia page on post-punk has all the bands you listed and more. aren't you soooo smart

coil is industrial tho

yeah and no u2

Industrial and post punk are very similar, they're kind of linked by goth too. Bands like TG and Foetus are very much post punk

le epic baite

Here's your bump

Those bands are also 99% of the post-punk threads here.

>She absolutely loves Brainbimbs.
dude, run.

/thread
extrazoom.com/image-28745.html

Jesus fucking christ
Grow up before posting here you retards

bumb

why don't people ever discuss deathrock or goth rock in Cred Forums

i saw some /dark/ threads a while ago but very rarely

i thought it would be a fitting place to ask here since its all under the post punk umbrella

I was in my car today picking up a girl I met on Tinder, we matched because I saw her Joy Division tee peeking up in one picture. strike one was when she came outside, wearing a pastel crop top and short shorts, which I decided were definitively not post-punk; but I looked past it because you can't take a book for its cover. Strike two came when I asked her what her favorite Ian Curtis lyric was, she though I was talking about the pestulent nigger known as Ian Conner. but, I can't name the members of Pere Ubu or Magazine off the top of my head; and she was a woman so I should be fair. I laughed it off. I put Xiu Xiu's cover of Ceremony on using my mp3 player connected to the radio. Now I don't know if she's some kind of purist or not at this point, because she complains 5 seconds in about the noise over the track. fair enough, I'll just put Love Will Tear Us Apart on as the safe bet. strike three came when she decided to tap me on the shoulder while I was clearly sipping a Limonata San Pellegrino. My tindr bio clearly stated what would happen if you messed with my grino. I shoved her out of the side of my car and drove off blasting Wire.

Lebanon Hanover, check them out

Not him, but thanks for this

Tom Waits is barely even rock

Gallowdance. great song.
youtube.com/watch?v=gEQHhMNxr3Q

They were a band called Rema Rema before that, check this out:
youtube.com/watch?v=jxhBtke9FtUBeen looking for this. Thanks user.

robertchristgau.com/xg/bk-cg80/in_post.php

This would be a very helpful read if that's what you are looking for, it goes over the history of the term, it's musical and cultural context in relation to the late 70s/early 80s scene, underlining philosophies and aesthetic choices of pioneering bands, future influence, etc. fairly in-depth for a summary article

thank you user
sounds very good
somehow i never heard about them

Post Punk is nothing like that, and the smiths barely qualify in the genre. It definitely doesn't have jangly guitar lines

Well, post punk is often associated with new wave/ goth/jangle pop etc

Not sure how post punk these guys are still considered but I love them regardless. I thoroughly recommend their most recent album Pylon (2015), it's superb.

youtube.com/watch?v=yN4PfMfafhw

The fact these guys have been going for nearly 40 years and still can sound like this is simply glorious.

I also appreciate that they haven't become a pastiche of their former selves, the sound evolved and Jaz Coleman hasn't tried to sound like the same ethereal gothboy of the late 70s (although he still sounds great and surprisingly majestic at times).

No point tying to force yourself to like anything, especially to impress someone else but if you're genuinely interested in seeing what all the fuss is about I'd recommend checking out some of the key acts often associated with the label:

Joy Division, The Fall, The Cure, Siouxsie and the Banshees (bit more of a 'pop' sound but very accessible and still great, if you want to hear something a bit more under the radar try The Creatures), Talking Heads, Devo, New Order, Cocteau Twins, Sex Gang Children, XTC, Sonic Youth.

Devo, Talking Heads, Sonic Youth and The Cure could be a good starting point, not because they epitomise the genre/label but more because they tend to have a lot of energy to their sound and have less of the dirge-like 'repetitiveness' you may be struggling with. These were actually some of the first post-punk associated bands I got into and I have enjoyed much more off the back of it. Regarding the 'repetitiveness' etc, I actually find that I now sometimes crave that kinds sound, especially when the days get colder - cool evenings seem like the perfect time for it.

I especially have a soft spot for XTC as they're from my hometown:youtube.com/watch?v=gXNhL4J_S00

A SATB favourite:youtube.com/watch?v=zpaqBXc5MTk

Devo's latest album Something for Everybody is excellent, the guys still got it: youtube.com/watch?v=9NwEIH5LXxk

bump

Check out
Clear Spot (Telstar Drugs side project)
Dories
Laps
New Fries

Mtl is on fire right now.

The new Painted Fruit record will also be amazing from what Ive heard live.

because crescendocore = trash

but coil has fuck all to do with punk let alone post-punk

u2 was always derivative and laughably vague and pseudo-intellectual. they're one of the worst acclaimed bands to ever exist

Industrial was a very important part of the underground eighties scene in Europe, it helped shape the production aesthetic of post-punk, the bands often shared stages and labels, etc. It's not black and white

kek, TG has nothing to do with punk. They hated the punk movement.

I hope you mean towards her