Thoughts on this? I thought it was hot trash. Boring even though none of the songs break 3 minutes

Thoughts on this? I thought it was hot trash. Boring even though none of the songs break 3 minutes.

But it's the only Beatles album I've listened to cause I'm doing it chronologically.

>boring
how can you find rock n roll boring?
>it's the only beatles album i've listened to cause i'm doing it chronologically
keep doing it and enjoy the fuck out of it, you'll listen to the beatles discography for the first time only once

the beatles are hot fuckin garbage

it's good.

Oh I'm pretty sure I'm gonna like it better down the line, I've heard snippets from Abbey Road and Revolver and liked it.

>how can you find rock n roll boring?

i don't see how it's surprising that someone listening to music this simple and old in 2016 would find it a little boring.

frankly, it is. there's not a whole lot going on in this album. some good covers, some decent originals (the title track being the only notable one), and that's about it.

to op, the beatles' growth is really cohesive and apparent as you go through their discography save for these first two albums, where the differences are awfully subtle. they cover more rock and roll tunes on the second album whereas the first has more girl group tunes, and their originals are much more well written (particularly john's tunes), so take my word for it, they grow quite a bit on With the Beatles.

The Beatles don't start getting good until Rubber Soul. Before then it's just cookie cutter boy band BS from the era. Rubber Soul and Revolver are really when they started writing more meaningful content

I can't believe I share a board with people who think this.

Don't most people think that?

Maybe, and I can't believe I share a board with them.

I personally prefer With the Beatles but not many Cred Forumstants share that sentiment

Help!, while not as well sequenced as Rubber Soul, is just as good and just as much a stepping stone in their progression as songwriters and musicians.

Lots of idiots think like this user. People commonly say Rubber Soul is where they magically got good but a hard days night has even better tunes and is hardly any less mature

Fuck people who say they don't get good until Rubber Soul. They objectively get great at Beatles for Sale.

Like, whatever. This is a music board though. I would like this place to be held to a higher standard than your average fuckwit off of the street.

The love for Rubber Soul's gotta be because of the album cover right? Seriously, Help! is pretty much the same album. Switch around some of the songs like they did on the American release and I wouldn't bat an eye.

it's not great from a modern perspective, but it's not really their fault. the album served a different purpose back then and the album is mostly filler, and that doesn't change until rubber soul (although they also improved as a band and ended up making better albums basically by accident before then)
the good songs are really good pop rock though, imo. i love I Saw Her Standing There

>The love for Rubber Soul's gotta be because of the album cover right?

It's because of rock critics. People listen too much to critics, and they deemed Rubber Soul to be THE defining moment when the Beatles went from vapid group of cute lads who sang about love to le epic art rock pioneers. People can't think for themselves, don't know music theory, and barely make an effort to read past that narrative, so it pervades the minds of most music "fans".

Not commenting on the love part but with Norwegian Wood and In My Life there's a noticeable difference between the two albums imo. The leap from RS to Revolver isn't hard to see, it'd be more of a surprise if they went from Help! to Revolver.

Though I agree with you that for the most part they're not as different as most people say. Those two songs stand out is all.

Ironic that one of the songs on RS is literally "Think For Yourself"

cover became love part in that first sentence for some reason.

I'd say Hard Day's Night was their best in terms of their vocal harmonies.

I agree but Beatles for Sale is the album where you can really see that they're genuinely creative guys.

I disagree. AHDN is much better than Beatles for Sale both in terms of songwriting and being able to clearly see their talent. It has zero covers, plenty of mature songs (especially from John), and the title track is an absolute ripper as well as a fantastic opener.

Beatles for Sales' peaks are arguably above anything from AHDN but it's plagued with covers which holds it back both as an album and as a sign of what's to come. It's pretty regressive.

I find it interesting that everyone goes on and on how Paul was the best musician in the group and yet AHDN, which had more John songs, is considered the best of their early period.

Paul is a meme on here for some reason despite the fact that he regularly contributed their worst songs and Lennon regularly contributed their best

Paul is the poptimist's choice, that's why.

Musician =/= songwriter.

Paul got much better from Rubber Soul and on, arguably better than John. John certainly had a good vice grip on With the Beatles and AHDN, and their early material in general.

To expand on this, Paul is objectively a better musician than John. Far more talented instrumentalist, better vocalist, better composer, better arranger. He just wasn't as strong a lyricist as John is all.

I think Paul has the best solo career and some of the better Beatles songs but John definitely was a better lyricist in the Beatles

you left out the part where he wasn't as creative as john

>The Beatles don't start getting good until Rubber Soul.

I'm gonna pretend you didn't just say that.

Beatles for Sale is my current early-era favorite right now. Minus awful songs like Mr Moonlight

Paul was consistent with his songwriting. John tanked when he met Yoko

bump

this isn't true at all. in fact, john made great songs with influence from yoko; hapiness is a warm gun, i want you (she's so heavy) and the entirety of plastic ono band.
meanwhile paul could be counted on for a terrible song or two on all of their albums from sgt pepper on

Reminder Paul's post-beatles Solo albums were all panned and hated by critics, while the other 3 got rave reviews