>tfw yes is literally my dads favorite band

led zeppelin, pink floyd (the wall), and queen

yas

Which album should i listen after CttE?

king crimsons works, animals

i mean from yes

Fragile

Relayer, and then

>mfw when people think I listen to "dadrock" but I listen to the stuff that was too weird for my dad back in the day

Yes isn't dad rock, its prog rock. Fucking pleb

not mutually exclusive tbqh

fragile obviously

for example Rush is fairly dad rock-y as is Marillion

actually much of prog from bands that made their best albums after 1978 or so is very dad rock

Yes, King Crimson and Genesis or any Canterbury scene thing or any krautrock type thing isn't dad rock

HTH

Relayer and Fragile

I think Relayer goes well after CttE - Gates of Delirium is IMHO the best track they ever did and it takes the CttE style music a step further for me

Best Genesis album for someone who has never heard a Genesis song they like?

lol was jethro tull too weird?

based on this thread you want some early prog Genesis - if you hear random Genesis songs on the radio or whatever, you probably won't hear anything from the best albums

The real contenders are:
Nursery Cryme
Selling England by the Pound
The Lamb Lies Down on Broadway

it's a bit of a sliding scale with the production getting better and the albums more cohesive, but there being a certain weird charm to the earlier stuff

I suggest trying a track from each and checking out which one sounds best:
The Return of the Giant Hogweed - Firth of Fifth - The Lamb Lies Down on Broadway

Dadrock.

Dadrock consists of:

-Pink Floyd
-King Crimson
-Led Zeppelin
-Black Sabbath
-The Jimi Hendrix Experience
-The Who
-The Rolling Stones
-YES
-Genesis
-Iggy and the Stooges
-Deep Purple
-Jethro Tull
-Queen
-Robert Wyatt
-Rush
-The Doors
-Captain Beefheart
-Rainbow
-Camel
-Van der Graaf Generator
-The Soft Machine
-Neu!
-Motorhead
-Caravan
-AC/DC
-Amon Duul II
-Wishbone Ash
-Cream
-Frank Zappa and the Mothers of Invention
-Tom Waits
-Supertramp
-Van Halen
-The Allman Brothers Band
-Derek and the Dominoes
-Blue Oyster Cult
-Invisible
-Porcupine Tree
-Mike Oldfield
-T2
-Robin Trower
-Alice Cooper
-Magma
-Big Brother & the Holding Company
-Faust

and many, many more.

prog you stupid nigger

"dadrock" is a meme

Saved this as a screenshot, thanks

lebin x)

>he fell for the dadrock meme

Pulled this from another thread

So pretty much any mainstream band from 1960-1990 that falls into the rock spectrum?

Why do people use buzzwords like 'dadrock' as a shitty justification for not liking something?

That's way too niche of a list. My impression of dadrock is the popular rock and metal from forty years ago; anything that a pleb who's convinced nothing good has been made since Nirvana will hail as good music. That's why it's used as a term of derision, because it implies someone doesn't have an opinion of their own and just likes what their dad likes. If you're going as far as to name obscurities like Captain Beefheart and Faust, you're just listing a bunch of classic rock bands.

Niche is the wrong word, it's too broad of a list

this flowchart produces actual good results if you just traverse it breadth-first (go one level deep in all options before going deeper) - any exploration into a branch ends up in shit and misses out on obvious classics anyone liking the first album would surely like.

I wonder if this is a general pattern where you just take the starter album and the first things linked to it one or two levels deep and Bob's your discogs.

I made that flowchart, and you made a really good point. Any suggestions on how to improve it?

How are Captain Beefheart, Neu!, and Faust dadrock

You forgot Dire Straits

Gates of Delirium starts off really weak though until it reaches about the 10 minute mark. Close to the Edge is objectively the better song.