Math-Rock

I really like Battles and want to get more into Math-Rock, where should I start?

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=CQHOsWvY23g
youtube.com/watch?v=7kYaEN06UYM
youtube.com/watch?v=rhzlhRmHmQA
twitter.com/SFWRedditGifs

Battles isn't math rock tho.

not op but what are they?

ok then rec me something similar please i'm digging their style

Mirrored has been labeled as math rock in every occasion i've come across. Dunno about Gloss Drop doe.

TTNG, Kidcrash (not their first album), Don Caballero, tera melos (chronological order), lightning bolt, tubelord

these are all math rock to an extent but dont all sound much like battles

Fuck Battles
They were supposed to come to my country but due to some "family issues" they won't go.
They were the only reason why I was so hyped for that festival.
...damn

>Math-rock
is there a more autistic genre designation?

Battles have a really high-tech sound that you just don't get with any other band honestly.

It's the thing that makes them them, and so you'll just have to wade through shit and listen to bad math rock bands to find something you like but it'll never be the same sound as Battles.

You only ask this kind of question if you're an idiot btw

toe, boredoms and gang gang dance kinda feel similar but yeah battles and don cab are really unique bands

Don Caballero
Toe
Hella
Piglet
And So I Watch You From Afar
This Town Needs Guns
Slint
Polvo

go from there OP, all that shit's in the archive too

tera melos too, sorry

I've seen these already posted in this thread but I'll just give the albums too. These are my favorites out if the genre so far:

Hella-Hold your horse is
Tera Melos- X'ed out
Slint-spiderland
Don Caballero- What burns never returns

youtube.com/watch?v=CQHOsWvY23g

only with a lot more repetition

Three Trapped Tigers

+1 Don Cab

Battles are not Math Rock.

You are looking for stuff like:
Don Caballero
Zs
Hella
King Crimson (Discipline)
Fela Kuti

If you want some real math rock, then check out:
Ruins
Yowie
Sajjanu
Ahleuchatistas
Upsilon Acrux

You are welcome!

Neither is Mirrored. It has been a domino effect the reason they get labeled that way.

Don't listen to this guy, he knows nothing, not even the classics and a lot of that isn't even math rock

Ignore this guy as well

And this one too

Basically, don't trust anyone who recommends Spiderland in a math rock thread, ESPECIALLY if you start asking for something like Battles. They are just mindlessly recommending them because they read the word math rock and they read that Slint were math rock on Wikipedia once.

Slint - Spiderland is the first album of the genre, This is the second. There is a song called "New Math" for fuck sake. Pitchfork gave it a 9.

youtube.com/watch?v=7kYaEN06UYM

4th idiot in this thread.
At least he's kind of right with Yank Crime, but neither were being near the first math rock recordings. First one would be Ruins' self titled from 1986.

I only semi consider Slint mathy because long songs, live drums, and dry sound. There really arent very many time-signature changes.

I don't wanna call DLJ post-hardcore or emo for sure because what that sounds like now is absolutely nothing like DLJ.

I actually consider Drive Like Jehu and Hella Mathpunk,

65daysofstatic

>Slint is not mathrock
>But Zs is

hahahahahahahahahahahhhahahaahhahaha

Slint is definitely not Math Rock.
Zs is rooted in Math Rock, but arguably are not anymore.
Anything else?

None of those things are relevant to being math rock. There is even math rock with exclusively ~20 seconds long songs.
DLJ and Hella don't have much in common.

When I was trying to find more bands like Battles, Parts & Labor and Nice Nice kind of scratched the itch a bit, but there's nothing I've heard that's like Battles. (though I haven't really tried because Battles is enough)

As for the Math Rock thing, they don't really have much that connects them with "Math Rock" apart from some kind of jagged guitar lines.. I'd say Mirrored at least is just really modern prog.. People probably just thought they were Math because Ian Williams had been in Don Caballero, and Dave Konopka was in Lynx, and I guess people just assumed that if half the band had been in other "math" bands, then Battles must be too..

god i love seeing your unique autism on this board, there's one of you in almost every thread

This guy gets it!
Nice Nice are a good recommendation as well.

You are welcome :)
Your post doesn't seem quite right though

Toe is some of the chillest Math out there. Totoro are pretty cool too, not as interesting as Toe IMO.
Hella is good if you want some of the craziest the genre offers.
Tricot are good if you want something energetic with jrock influence.

You consider Boredoms to be Math Rock?
What album?

Can you objectively describe to me how Ahleuchatistas is math rock whereas Hella isnt
Youre not even giving any counter points to the suggestions that youre refuting. Youre just slapping some arbitrary trip on and pretending like youre some kind of esteemed math rock critic

youtube.com/watch?v=rhzlhRmHmQA

I was just kidding earlier. They are math rock

wait, when did Beatles do mathrock?

Boyfrndz is underrated, also check out
Save Us From The Archon
Cleanup
Chon
Giraffes? Giraffes!

Did I ever say Hella wasn't Math Rock? No? Then check out your reading comprehension.
I'm not going to give a detailed argument as to why they are wrong unless it's needed, and considering I convinced one of the 4 with just my first post and the other three haven't replied, I think I have done good enough.
Besides, you don't need to be an "esteemed math rock critic" to tell Slint isn't Math Rock at all. Barely the first two tracks have a hint of Math Rock, but if you call those Math Rock you might as well consider Led Zeppelin to he part of the genre as well.

No

Never. It's just a Wikipedia meme.

Chon and G? G! don't have that much in common with Battles t b h

WHAT'S YOUR TOP 10 MATHROCK ALBUMS? Does it include YANK CRIME?

Are HOT SNAKES mathrock as well? YES or NO?

My Top 10 Math Rock Albums

1. Tipographica - God Says I Can't Dance
2. You Slut! - Critical Meat (arguably not Math Rock)
3. Yowie - Cryptooology
4. Bygones - by-
5. Ahleuchatistas - What You Will
6. Sajjanu - Pechiku!!
7. The Bulletproof Tiger - You Wanna Kiss About It?
8. Upsilon Acrux - Volucris Avis Dirae
9. Giraffes? Giraffes! - More Skin With Milk-Mouth
10. Rich Woodson's Ellipsis - Control and Resistance

No
No idea
See above

>If you want some real math rock, then check out[...]
This extra distinction is implying that hella isnt "real" math rock
And your explanations consist of you just saying "no this isnt math rock" with no support of the claim.
Im just saying, the fact that people dont give (you)s alone isnt a valid enough criteria to say that youve explained yourself well and doesnt lend itself to in depth music discussion at all

anyone go to arctangent this year?

No, it's not. Don Caballero is Math Rock as well and is included in the list you mention.
First list is similar stuff regardless of genre (which means, Math Rock could be included but not necessarily). Second list was Math Rock but didn't include those two again because of redundancy.
I already told you why I didn't support my claim before and you just repeated the question without addressing the point I made, so I guess that further proves you lack reading comprehension.
I have had plenty of fruitful musical discussions here on Cred Forums for a few years, so I'm confident I know pretty well how starting a good discussion is done.

>people seriously recommending Slint to someone asking for math rock suggestions

what is this meme

Listening to bygones right now. I had listened to a few songs of it before, but all I really knew was that zach hill was drumming. But so far this sounds pretty good

By- not bygones sorry

Glad zs are being mentioned. They're essential imo.
Don't really see the appeal of Don cab yet. I listened to the green record and while I liked it I didn't think it was amazing or anything. What should I listen to next?

Maybe these bands? idk

Three Trapped Tigers
65daysofstatic
Errors
Gallops
Adebisi Shank

American Don