ITT: You justify Radiohead having albums in RYM's top 5000 list

ITT: You justify Radiohead having albums in RYM's top 5000 list.

I have listened to a lot (and I mean a LOT) of albums, and I genuinely think I'd have at least 5 Radiohead albums in my top 50 (2 in my top 5).

I don't condone such a thing. Radiohead is unremarkable British trash.

It's literally music for dumb stinky poopooheads

Kid A is a nice marriage of experimental arrangements with a pop context

what's not to like

t. 100 rated albums on RYM and two months on Cred Forums

Kid A should really be the only Radiohead album up there desu.

Never used RYM in my life, my music collection started after being brainwashed by my Dad when I was 5-6 (Pet Sounds, Forever Changes, Scott 4 etc.)

Why not?
Why?

It's not good

What's not good about it?

5000 is a very large number, considering.

Nothing happens. It's literally Music For Airports with rock instrumentation

>with rock instrumentation
So... things happen.

There's a lot of shit posted on here, but I think that's the biggest heap of shit I've seen.

Why do avant-teens think they are too cool for liking Radiohead?

Considering literally every release out there, 5000 would end up being a minute fraction of a percent. Radiohead is not that good.

Same reason they say "duhhhh The Beatles were overrated duhhh". They equate contrarianism to intelligence.

No, it's not. Go to RYM's top albums of all time chart. Go to page 100. Now you're up at #4000 and these albums have over 1000 ratings and an RYM Rating of 3.78.
#5000 have an RYM Rating: 3.69. That's not bad.

You can't name 5 albums better than Kid A, let alone 5000.

He's just going to list Warp Records and Krautrock albums now
>Radiohead is not that good.
Why not? Please use music theory to explain.

>Why not? Please use music theory to explain.
not that guy but fucking don't

>people who who don't like Radiohead
>also don't know music theory
Wow what a coincidence

Radiohead are the only artist that i have 4 (FOUR) five-star albums from on RYM.

Been on Cred Forums and RYM since 2011, i have rated 1900+ albums on that site.

also, i still don't get this t. meme.

If you value music theory, then literally every renowned classical work should be considered better than Kid A. You don't know what the fuck you're talking about.

Not to mention that music theory has literally nothing to do with enjoyability (the only relevant factor in deciding whether something is good). Radiohead has never created anything remotely experimental either, so you can't even argue for merit in that regard.

You prove you have listened more than 5000 albums.

No, I do like Radiohead

music theory just doesn't prove very much

Music isn't about composition or performance, it's about sound.

It's your duty to prove they are good, and not for others to prove they are not.
Checks out you don't know music theory as well.

you are the lowest level of plebian

get the fuck off my board

>It's your duty to prove they are good, and not for others to prove they are not.

holy fuck this is the most fedora sentence i've ever read in my life.

>also, i still don't get this t. meme.
It is the Finnish acronym for signature afaik.

>enjoyability
Not relevant.

Everything else you said lacked in theory-based argument. Try again?
>It's your duty to prove they are good
The initial claim was that they were not good. Thus the burden of proof is on you.

yeah. what he said!

I want to understand how you can possibly enjoy that garbage, I really do, but you are all so bad at explaining yourselves

Except I'm not the OP
Also, the OP specifically tells you to justify why they are deserving of the top 5000, so you should be able to use music theory to justify that. He never said they were not good.
Of course you won't because you don't really know music theory and just pretend to to look cool on an anonymous site.

Sick memes bro

And a lot of people would say that Radiohead sounds like shit, have you not made the connection?

It doesn't take music theory to create something that sounds good. For many genres of music, I could list 50 random yet renowned musical acts and the chance that many, if not most of them, have little or no music theory knowledge should be pretty high.

Pot calling the kettle black

There's nothing contrarian about liking Radiohead

>Except I'm not the OP
Didn't claim you were
>the OP specifically tells you to...
Show me where I was replying to the OP
>so you should be able to use music theory to justify that
Well, you wouldn't understand it and you'd just not read it

No, the initial claim was that they've made 2 of the 10 best albums of all time. Kid A and OK Computer are on every toplist and most of us here have no idea why

it's about what you take away from it

if you're more into composition, structure, production, arrangement or whatever the virtues you primarily value in music, that's fine, we all have different taste

saying "hurr durr look at my musical theory phallus" when talking about pop music gets us fucking nowhere

Literally every "merit" apart from enjoyability is just a masking of desire for image.

P L E B
L
E
B

>It doesn't take music theory to create something that sounds good
What makes something sound good?
>I could list 50 random yet renowned musical acts and the chance that many, if not most of them, have little or no music theory knowledge should be pretty high.
Name them right now.

>the initial claim was that they've made 2 of the 10 best albums of all time
Where was that claim made?

I took music theory and passed with the highest grades possible, and it still doesn't make you look at music anymore critically

The people who use RYM

>only enjoyably matters
>yet somehow I am not the pleb
Literally the definition
Ooops you didn't answer either question. Try again?

it's the acronym for terveisin which means regards

>Name them right now.
Literally go look up a list of random-ass artists and find out. I'm saying that it could be literally anyone

I'm not the same guy you think you're responding to, asshat

[citation needed]

Also
>Rate Your Music
It's literally people rating THEIR favorite music. Hence the title Rate YOUR Music. The very nature of it is subjective.
>please prove my argument for me.
Not how it works
Been nice talking to you.

No, I was saying the opposite. Read the posts again.

>It's literally people rating THEIR favorite music. Hence the title Rate YOUR Music. The very nature of it is subjective.
Why do they rate Radiohead so highly? Can you explain that? According to the majority on RYM, OK Computer is the best album of all time

>Why do they rate Radiohead so highly?
Because they like them? It's a subjective list
>According to the majority on RYM, OK Computer is the best album of all time
Strawman. See

>Not how it works
When my generalization is that bold, that's absolutely how it works. I'm literally offering you a chance to find research that proves me wrong (although I'm not wrong).

>just straight up not knowing the definition of plebian, in both the classical and modern senses

I guess most people like it for personal reasons? I don't even care for Radiohead and you're sounding like a complete retarded autistic faggot

Not the poster you're replying to, but I don't know what you're hoping for here really. My personal favourite album is Kid A, because it affects me and I enjoy listening to it more than any other album I've ever heard. Not sure how people are meant to explain why they love a band so much - it should be clear from listening to them. If it isn't, either listen to them more, or accept they aren't for you.

No one here is going to be able to elucidate the brilliance of Radiohead more than the band themselves. If you don't see it from How to Disappear Completely, The National Anthem, Let Down, Pyramid Song etc., you're not going to see it from some anonymous comment on here.

>When my generalization is that bold
Sounds like a poor argument to me
>I'm literally offering you a chance to find research that proves me wrong
Or rather, since the initial claim was that they were bad, I've been giving you a chance to use music theory and prove your case. You have yet to do it, although your little dance around the issue is amusing
>just straight up not knowing the definition of plebian, in both the classical and modern senses
How so? Is this your first week on Cred Forums? Did you just start using colloquialisms without understanding them?

>implying that it's acceptable to like Radiohead because taste is "subjective", but it can't work the other way around
>is literally making a claim based upon music theory and "objective" knowledge
oop, there goes all of your credibility

was great arguing with you

>but it can't work the other way around
Quote me where I said that
>oop, there goes all of your credibility
Sorry I still don't see any theory analysis in your post. Will it come? With all your "credibility" and all.

>"I asked you to prove something first, so I'm not obligated to back up any of my own claims in the meantime"
Not that you could anyway ;^)

>"I asked you to prove something first, so I'm not obligated to back up any of my own claims in the meantime"
What claim have I made?

In contrast, the initial claim was that they were bad.

Please read the thread before posting.

That's just you. I studied jazz at a conservatory, and my time there totally changed the way I listen music. I was critical of everything before I studied, but knowing what I'm listening to just made me more critical.

>What claim have I made?
Claiming through implication that music theory has literally any relevancy

Christ you're coming across like an idiot, you must be under 15. If not, you really need to think about the way you evaluate music/people. Radiohead are a seminal, hugely acclaimed, remarkably brilliant band. You don't like them - that's fine, not everyone likes everything, but the idea that everyone else has to prove to you that they're great is ridiculous.

I hate The Who, but I know there must be something I'm missing - I don't go round demanding that every Who fan explains themselves to me.

>through implication
Not what I'm asking.

What was my claim?

Also
>music theory has literally any relevancy
Why wouldn't it? Do you not know what music theory is?

It's different because Radiohead is commonly accepted as one of the greatest bands of all time and not a single soul seem to be able to explain why, where as a fanatical The Who fan would be able to pick out their favorite songs and tell you how certain parts of their albums make them feel

This

>It's different because Radiohead is commonly accepted as one of the greatest bands of all time and not a single soul seem to be able to explain why,
Radiohead haters can't seem to explain why they are bad. isn't that strange?

You're missing the point. They're less obligated to explain why because they haven't built some ubiquitous image assuming that the album is good or bad

Radiohead simultaneously (I hate this phrase, so sorry) "push boundaries" of popular music, while making the most achingly beautiful music I've ever heard. No other albums, save maybe Astral Weeks, have the emotional impact on me as Radiohead's work, no music has the inexplicable effect that How to Disappear Completely, The Tourist, Life in a Glasshouse, Let Down et al do on me.

Ultimately, one's reaction to, and love of, music is a visceral phenomenon rather than an intellectual one. We could sit here all day discussing the cultural significance or musical complexity of an album or band, but if you don't have that emotional response then it's rather futile. The soaring chorus in Exit Music (For a Film), the moment the backing vocals come in in Weird Fishes, the intertwining of individual pieces in the 2nd half of Let Down, the moment Thom sings "strobe lights and blown speakers" in HTDC, the strings in Glass Eyes - these aren't things that can just be explained, they're things that affect me in a way I could never articulate.

Radiohead mean more to me, and I love listening to them more, than any other artist in history. There's not much more I can say.

>They're less obligated to explain why because they haven't built some ubiquitous image assuming that the album is good or bad
Wrong, Radiohead haters assume it's bad.

They're not bad, they're just so painfully mediocre. It's just weird to us that so many people point at them and say that they're the best band of all time.

>they're just so painfully mediocre
Why? Explain it.
>It's just weird to us that so many people point at them and say that they're the best band of all time.
Well, do you know music theory?

Simply put, you don't seem to listen to a lot of music and if you do, you're just biased because you probably heard Radiohead early on in your musical exploration. I'm not saying that to downplay your reaction to their music at all (you can like them of course).

Because they have innovated anything and they've never produced a single good pop song and they're no Godspeed You! Black Emperor, so what are they? What's their schtick?

If you think Radiohead is mediocre, isn't it because you don't listen to much music, so you are unable to put them into correct perspective?

>innovated anything
Not relevant.
>never produced a single good pop song
What makes a good pop song?
>no Godspeed You! Black Emperor
I agree, they're not boring

embarrassing thread

Godspeed you is a thousand times less boring

>enjoyability (the only relevant factor in deciding whether something is good

so basically
>stop liking what i don't like

>they've never produced a single good pop song
>Karma Police
>No Surprises

I listen to an unhealthy amount of music, and have been doing so since I was very young. My "musical exploration" started with my Dad's music when I was a child, so Beach Boys, The Beatles, Love, Dylan, Leonard Cohen, Jacques Brel, Scott Walker, and others. Radiohead came relatively late in my music listening life, far later than any of those or Bowie, Pixies, and co.

I have a 3 hour round trip to work every day, plus my lunch break, so I listen to at least 5 albums every day (unless I'm listening to something like To Be Kind of Have One On Me of course).

Your patronising reaction is ridiculous when people are asking for someone to explain why they love Radiohead. I did just that.

You're taking what I said a bit out of context honestly

It's just like two chords stretched over 90s minutes.
>meh reverby mess
Zzzzzzz

Why are Radiohead and GY!BE mutually exclusive? I love GY!BE, doesn't stop me loving Radiohead.

Not really
>enjoyably is the only thing that matters
>but if I don't like it its bad

Another user here, only got into Radiohead two years ago, lots of background in Classical/Romantic music.

It's not too hard to define Radiohead in a conventional manner, because composers have been using the subversion of expectations and the breaking down of musical conventions for hundreds of years. Go back to Wagner, the Mighty Heap, and you'll see 5/4 meters and (at the time) really strange instrumentation/melodic choices.

Furthermore, you'll see an emphasis on the deconstruction of music, especially if you look at the patrons of Hayden. They were mostly upper class individuals who'd spent their lives around music and understood the conventions, and simply expected to hear those over and over again. Breaking those conventions and norms, and creating sound that is subjectively appealing is pretty close to what Radiohead, along with a bunch of other artists in their respective genres, seek to do.

If I don't feel like thinking a lot, I'll listen to something I can jam out to or just enjoy the atmosphere of. But there ARE people who enjoy tearing into music and asking, "what is this, and why?". It's the very foundation of Classical and Romantic music.

Radiohead is a cheap ass copy of this

>enjoyability is the only thing that matters
>but I don't enjoy it so that means nobody else is allowed to

theyre music rules

I hate comments like this, just desperate attempts to say "bleurgh this band before them did the same thing but better".

Firstly, Radiohead were around before Portishead (albeit not making the kind of music they made from OK Computer onwards). Secondly, the only time Radiohead have really had an exclusively trip-hop feel to a song is Talk Show Host, and that was released the same year as Dummy.

No band sounds literally nothing like anyone else, there is always influence in every artist, but you seriously think Radiohead sound the same as Portishead? Like, you could listen to A Moon Shaped Pool or Kid A, and say they sound the same as Dummy?

Muse is the best band ever and if you don't write a 500 page essay based on extensive knowledge of music theory you can't deny it.

Wow how does it feel to still be a pleb after all that?

Feels great. Seems pretty logical that if I think one Radiohead album is the greatest album ever made, I'm likely to hold the others in very high regard too. Same way that if, say, Blonde on Blonde was your favourite album, it's unlikely you won't also love Highway 61/Bringing It All Back Home.

Хaхaхххaa Myce ни ecть лyчшaя гpyппa в миpe!
OOOOOO мoя oбopoнa coлнeчный зaйчик cтeкляннoгo глaзa

They're the best alt rock band around, very few of their contemporaries have been as good for as long as they have.

it's partly a popularity contest