/prod/

Upload WIPits on clyp.it edition

GIVE feedback and RECEIVE feedback.

>ATTENTION!
DO NOT post Soundcloud, YouTube or any other links where you are not anonymous (unless somebody asks you for it). That is considered self promotion and will usually result in bad feedback.

>LEARNING RESOURCES

(Obligatory mixing course)
>The Art of Mixing by David Gibson
youtu.be/TEjOdqZFvhY

(Obligatory synthesis course + additional related videos)
>Intro to Synthesis by New York School of Synthesis
youtu.be/atvtBE6t48M
YouTube channels that you should subscribe to:

>Point Blank Music School
youtube.com/channel/UCIWNozFjO8yVdJFsGKVmPgg

>Pensado's Place
youtube.com/user/PensadosPlace

>SeamlessR (in-depth music production and sound design tutorials, based on FL Studio)
youtube.com/user/SeamlessR

>BusyWorksBeats (same as above, a lot of good new content coming)
youtube.com/user/busyworksbeats

>ADSR Music Production Tutorials
youtube.com/channel/UCf5UKh_cj2_5pUomhyswWYQ

>Justin Omoi
youtube.com/channel/UCMnmXvv9JHJPsrrob-gEn5A

>WarBeats
youtube.com/user/nfxbeats/videos

>Samori Coles (not many videos, but a few good ones on compression and EQ)
youtube.com/user/homestudiotutor/videos

>Modern Mixing
youtube.com/user/ModernMixing/videos

>Image Line Tutorials (for FL Studio users)
youtube.com/user/imageline/playlists

>READ THIS BEFORE ASKING WHERE TO BEGIN

Other urls found in this thread:

clyp.it/53nzr2bn
clyp.it/amaau2dv
clyp.it/kcxaidjr
clyp.it/03fbyolj
clyp.it/5jbftv4w
clyp.it/w00oiksf
clyp.it/weam4teh
youtube.com/watch?v=MO2LvgjzgmQ
soundcloud.com/nrgizer-official/two-birds
youtube.com/watch?v=cuPaP6xbQsM
clyp.it/zakajfsg
clyp.it/a33j5tci
clyp.it/dwxvdtz1
clyp.it/x1ovpcqn
clyp.it/5x5cx3zc
clyp.it/yg2u0hjp
twitter.com/SFWRedditVideos

>shitposting so hard you get a thread pruned
we need to change, /prod/

What fuck happened?, whole time I've been in prod that's never happened

arguments about Cred Forums and naked mpc girl picture

Does anyone have experience with the new generation of Focusrite interfaces? Worth selling an old model for an upgrade?

mods deleted thread, but to user asking

Lfo is in envelope mode (0-10v)
planning on using it primarily to trigger and control the 4 cutoffs/levels on the VCF/VCA

Cred Forums ruins everything Jesus fucking Christ

>VCF/VCA

clyp.it/53nzr2bn

idk if this is good or not

hows the bass?

I don't know who deleted the last thread but it's for the better.

Let's try again, and forget that the previous one existed.

Also, a new pack of my clyps to let it get started. Would appreciate to know which ones have potential and which ones don't.

>atmospheric
clyp.it/amaau2dv

>electric guitar jamming with some strings
clyp.it/kcxaidjr

>flute, cello and synth
clyp.it/03fbyolj

>"virtuoso" electric guitar
clyp.it/5jbftv4w

>baroque
clyp.it/w00oiksf

is a ipad any good for production ?

They seem cool, especially with touchOSC
But Apple's business model means that you'll be left with a useless paperweight in a few years that wont run any current apps.

-t. Gen 1 iPad owner

Thanks for the reply user. Still a bit confused whats generating the noise in that setup?

ah, those aren't for producing sounds. it's essentially just being used as a filter that is automated by the rise and fall of the LFO waves.

The sounds will come from oscillator modules. those sounds will then go into the voltage controlled filter.

i'll post a pic of my system once i get these in the case

Where did shitposters go? Now this thread is dead.

b&

I'm pretty into music but lately I've been really thinking about producing my own.
That said, I'm clueless about the technical aspects of music. I've looked at the sticky but there are 6 different guides for music theory and 6 different guides for MIDI/keyboards/whatever.
Can someone tell me where I should start? Should I just get a keyboard and a DAW and start goofing around and learn as I go?
Sorry for sounding stupid

> is a ipad any good for production ?
Yes,

I still think some of the apps on the iPad are strongly underpriced compared with their pc/mac equivalent.
Some apps I use a lot on my iPad are as follows
>Borderlands. Great granular synth
>Korg iMS20 Gritty as fuck analogue synthesis, absolute steal at £20
>Korg iM1. Fantastic remake of the Korg M1 and for a few extra quid you can get all the expansion cards thrown in too
>Maschine 2. Great little sampler
>iMPC Pro. see above
>TouchOSC. touch controller.
>DM1. Nice drum machine with lots of vintage and classic kits included
>AUFX effects units. Very nice sounding delay and reverb plugins.
>Cubasis.

>But Apple's business model means that you'll be left with a useless paperweight in a few years that wont run any current apps.
It will run the apps that you have for it though? Isn't it just a case of not updating the apps or OS anymore? I think this is the case with most software on any platform really. sooner or later most software companies will discontinue support for their old products

>The sounds will come from oscillator modules. those sounds will then go into the voltage controlled filter.
I figured as much. which is why I asked originally what it was going with. Yes please post the rest of system once together.

nah, still here. Posting on-topic content until someone whines about mundane things.

i fucking hate daws

>caring about updating OS
i still use a gen1 exclusively for lemur/touchosc, not exactly useless

Why tho?

I try to avoid them in live settings and performances, but for production they're pretty ideal.

Wish I could afford to not use one.

>hardware mustard race

>It will run the apps that you have for it though?
Yes
>Isn't it just a case of not updating the apps or OS anymore?
Basically, you have no choice to, you're stuck with the last update compatible with the last OS you get.
>I think this is the case with most software on any platform really. sooner or later most software companies will discontinue support for their old products
Of course. The issue is the rate at which apple discontinues support of their earlier products.

I still have touchosc as well, and sometimes I bust out the $20 Korg apps I bought, but the thing runs like trash now. It's not useless, just near useless.

It's pretty embarrassing that safari crashes all of the time due to running out of memory.

>Cubasis.
they released cubasis 2 and it looks pretty decent but im too poor for ipad

>safari crashes all of the time
true, that does suck

clyp.it/weam4teh
nice let's hope this one turns out better than last thread's no-clyp: let's rate jpegs instead edition

>clyp.it/amaau2dv
neat. I'd like it more if the bright bells were in the background more and not as loud. maybe add reverb just to lower the dry. would easily make a decent hip hop track
>clyp.it/kcxaidjr
this one has potential

just start practicing your instrument and learning theory

Thanks for the feedback, it's so rare. Btw those are not bells, it's just upper tones on the electric guitar.

Other ones are bad to you or?

Okay, I will do that.
I hate to be obtuse so please excuse me, but say someone would like to create music like:
youtube.com/watch?v=MO2LvgjzgmQ
Is the use of a MIDI/keyboard the right way to go about that?

>they released cubasis 2 and it looks pretty decent but im too poor for ipad
Yeah the new one looks good too. A lot of people dismiss the iPad for production but I think personally that IF you have the money to start with then they are a decent way into production. My iPad is a 2nd Gen and I use it quite a bit for soft synths when I'm not in the studio. I'm guessing the new iPads are much more powerful and would be really handy for musicians and producers.

they just weren't genres I feel comfortable judging since I don't really listen to baroque. they aren't necessarily bad, just not my thing

thanks user

So umm... are any of you good with garageband?

lol no

>soundcloud.com/nrgizer-official/two-birds

judge my taste, style, technique and finesse

sure, just practice/learn the piano until you can play music that sounds like that youtube link, then record that as midi into the computer, then choose/make sounds that you like (you'll need to learn about synthesis and sound design overall if you want to make your own sounds, but it's not very hard, if you're creative) good luck sir, also the song you linked sounds great, it's just one piano chord and another weird instrument, but it is so good

what are the advantages of microphoning a guitar rather than pluging it straight into an interface?

Thank you very much for your input!
A lot of Akira Yamaoka's stuff is very simple, one or two chords, with droning or muted sounds looped over each other to create a feeling of numbness. I love that kind of thing.
I'm not well-versed on the technical aspects but I already take a lot of sound effects I find interesting and modulate them into things I find atmospheric, so I think I have the creativity covered.
Thanks again very much, now I'm set.

hoping to make my work seem more atmospheric. any advice on what I could do to create a wall of noise? just use more complete chords?

Reverberation and slight modulation

you can sort of 'cheat' your way into creating an atmospheric feel by padding your track with soft noise, like in xtal, other than that just try the usual, pan your sounds around, double them up and pan them, have slowly modulating pads playing, chorus and reverbs could also help

delete this

this.
Yeah, it started when an user was posting Hillary images with their posts.

How much money did you earn with your music, senpaitachi?

Me? $0, but my goal is at least a couple of dozens of millions.

>that fucking new captcha

Sorry for being newfag but what is Alan using in this video?

youtube.com/watch?v=cuPaP6xbQsM

between 0:52-1:05

Akai APC-40

thanks. I think I have an idea that I can experiment with.

what do you mean by slight modulation?

i've earned a few bandcamp dollars

clyp.it/zakajfsg

Memes

clyp.it/a33j5tci

feedback? just an outline of something I'm working on

i could kiss this man for how much he's helped my mixing

SHE BLINDED WITH ME SCIENCEEEE

Layer sounds/notes/chords over each other with slight upticks or downticks in pitch, with heavy reverberation this creates a very dreamy atmosphere.

well as i'm sure you know, a basic LFO module will have one rate/speed/frequency knob and one depth/level knob, so with that in mind, a slight modulation as that user is talking about, will probably mean that you turn the level/depth knob up a little bit, so the modulation level of the LFO isn't crazy strong or noticeable, this is just an example, an LFO isn't the only thing you can use to modulate other parameters

How much can you really do with just Ableton? I'm interested in learning but I don't have any synths, samplers, sequencers, or other modules.

Derivative, the hihats hurt my ears

This user gets it. Also as said layering can help if it doesn't get too cluttered.

Everything. Don't get caught up on the extra shit.

Everything. As with any daw

you can do those things in ableton

technology is amazing, just take the time and be focused and determined

>Derivative

explain

>the hihats hurt my ears

too loud? or something else?

Completely new to music production.
What DAW is best? Is Fruity Loops actually any good or is that a meme?
Also, I am very curious- if you get a keyboard, are you able to map sounds to the keys, or is that a different instrument that does that? I have seen videos where people map sound effects to certain keys and play it, then turn the levels up or down. Can this be done with a typical keyboard or do I need a special one?
Sorry completely new to /prod/.

>What DAW is best?
whichever daw you like to use best

try out demos of them

Sounds like any other trap beat, be honest with yourself. Add some interesting modulation, take a more lax approach to the synth stabs.

Too generic, too upfront. See above, percussion and Ryhthym drive these types of tracks, do something creative.

They're all the same some just have a better way of organizing

>What DAW is best?
It's subjective.

>Is Fruity Loops actually any good or is that a meme?
It's great (I am biased, as it's my main DAW)

>if you get a keyboard, are you able to map sounds to the keys, or is that a different instrument that does that? I have seen videos where people map sound effects to certain keys and play it, then turn the levels up or down.
I think you're talking about a sampler VST, which pretty much all DAWs will have

clyp.it/dwxvdtz1
clyp.it/x1ovpcqn
clyp.it/5x5cx3zc
o shit waddup
r8 me as usually

clyp.it/yg2u0hjp

i've spent like 10 hours on this synth and now i have to try and make the rest of the track interesting.