Anyone else feel like gaming has been slowly going downhill since the mid 2000s and only now has it finally died

Anyone else feel like gaming has been slowly going downhill since the mid 2000s and only now has it finally died.

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=0dofacvjRkc
youtube.com/watch?v=VN1N05WmiqU
youtube.com/watch?v=d6MS1nsrv10
twitter.com/SFWRedditImages

no, you just got old and lost the ability to enjoy them

Actually gaming has been getting better since the mid-late 2000's, I'd even argue theblast five or six years has been a renaissance in gaming

Not really, no. There are fewer original ideas, and most of those are shitty 2D indie games, but there are more options when it comes to gaming than ever before. There's PC, console, handheld, phone based, board games, paper and pencil games, etc.

If you don't like the little niche of gaming you've put yourself in, try something else.

You gotta be smoking something fucking strong.

Oh yeah sure I agree with that. I mean the games. What games are there to play that have come out this year?

Gaming has gone to complete shit with 1 game that everyone will be exited about for an entire year only to find out that it is shit and the developers have lied about the game and run away with everyones pre order money while making money from kids buying microtransactions.

What are you a huge faggot that just plays bad videogames or something?
Now there's such content available we have amazing things like Deus Ex: Revision that doesn't even cost a penny... back in 2005 the fact that you didn't need a disc to play steam games was still a marvel. You're probably underage and only remember those days through nostalgia anyway

I do agree, but that could just as easily be blamed on the fact that the internet as a whole overhypes something. Look at Fallout 4? It was announced, everyone lost their collective shit, everyone speculated every little detail, played it, a month later we were on something else.

The trouble isn't that gaming has gotten worse as a whole. Games have always been hit or miss. The trouble is that we have too much information being thrown at us. Back in the 90's and early 2000's, the only information you really had was from magazines and the occasional internet site. Now you can go to a few sites and get hundreds of opinions on games that aren't even out yet. The games are already boring before they get into our hands.

Look here is a list of just a few of the good games from 1998:
Half-life
Grim Fandango
The Legend of Zelda: Ocarina of Time
Thief: The Dark Project
Fallout 2
Metal Gear Solid
Baldur's Gate
Xenogears
Banjo-Kazooie
Star Wars: Rogue Squadron
Resident Evil 2
Unreal
Crash Bandicoot: Warped
StarCraft: Brood War
Oddworld: Abe's Exoddus
Shogo: Mobile Armor Division
Turok 2: Seeds of Evil
Panzer Dragoon Saga
Need for Speed III: Hot Pursuit
Gex: Enter the Gecko
F-Zero X
Tomb Raider III
Spyro the Dragon
Heretic II
Starsiege: Tribes
StarCraft

Now for 2016:
The division (usbisoft lied to us as usual and the game was completely broken and boring and no one even talks about it anymore)
Doom(One of the most boring, generic and unoptimized games in ages)
Pokemon GO (not really even a game)
Far cry primal (Yet another boring and disappointing sequel)

Quantum Break was pretty good.

Gaming companies have found the sweet spot in making what will sell the most to the widest audience. This is a benefit cos there is something for nearly everyone. However, since the fiasco with Daikatana, less and less developers have made ambitious choices in game concepts.

Still, there are some large companies like Bethesda, Obsidian, and From Software that are putting out some solid titles.

The indie game scene is booming. Though you have to do some digging, you'll be guaranteed to find a game that touches your soul in all the right places.

Overall, it's been pretty good. Just gotta know what you want out of games and go find it. Odds are it is there for you.

Deus ex revision he says. Because adding a few things to a game from 2000 means gaming is great.

What else is like deus ex that is new then? if we have other amazing content like it.

And I don't give a shit about what I use to play my games on. As long as the games are fun. Consoles still use disks.

Have you played Dark Souls or Bloodborne? I know the fan base is obnoxious as fuck, but if you can work through the fucking steep learning curve, there is great atmosphere and story to those games. Plus everything in bloodborne looks fucking fucked up as fuck like an HR Giger and Eli Roth wet dream

Only heard bad things about it, and since standards have been lowered so much I do not expect much.

Bloodborne is ps4 exclusive and dark souls isn't my kind of game so I won't say it's good or bad.

Ranbow six siege is good.

and the zombies mode on black ops 3 has been good as well

Well like I said in an earlier post, you gotta do some digging to find what you like. Me personally I have been sinking a lot of hours into Bloodborne, DA: Inquisition, The Secret World, Civ 5, and Civ Beyond Earth.

Depends on how you look at it. Indies are covering new ground and have been successful while AAA devs stagnate and die as you claim. Just don't buy AAA and you'll be ok.
Unless you're a graphicsfag or a console peasant gaming is great.

Depends on the category. It's mostly been getting better for RTS category, but for shooters definitely worse. It kind of plateaud overall at around 2010ish.

Solid titles? Like Fallout 4? No thanks. I remember when I didn't have enough to afford all the amazing games that were coming out. Every time I started to get into a new amazing game, there were so many more out and coming out so soon.

You don't get exited about new games surpassing your expectations anymore, you get exited that they 'might be good'.

Not only that but there just aren't many big games that come out at all, whether they are good or bad.

There is just COD once a year and other disappointments inbetween.

This. I love the games of today (35yrold). But I do wish more MMOs were going on.

>implying Fallout 4 wasn't a solid title
I didn't say those companies were making perfect games.

Anyone remember playing SWAT 3 Elite special weapons and tacticals? I miss the old online day's for that brings back memories SWAT 4 sucks I wonder when Sierra is gonna come out with a new swat game it's been a few years since a new swat was released.

What's happening is that back in the day when a new game came out, they pushed the boundaries of gaming constantly, new tech, new functions, clever methods that made the game do something never seen before.

Like how Doom and Quake started 3d gaming, stories and mechanics were constantly being introduced, improved upon and devs were taking inspiration from their predecessors to improve their new creations.

Now, the market is hyper saturated and you have assloads of the SAME shit comming out one after another with nothing really new or awe inspiring, and every game we look at in teasers looks like it will break the mold, but it never does. What results is that every company now, just pumps out what works, so we have a ton of options and choices; but nothing really "amazing" like we did then.

Fallout 4 wasn't complete shit I will give you that. The combat was improved and so were the graphics. The rest of the game was much worse than previous titles.

But do you seriously think it lived up to that entire year of hype?

In what way is Fallout 4 a solid title?
Sure, it's popular with the peasants and I personally thought the skill system was an improvement mechanically but it's definitely not what any fallout fan would hope for in a Fallout title.
It's at best ok but disappointing. It's the mcdonalds hamburger of video games. Lots of people will eat it but that doesn't make it a "solid" meal.

What games of today do you love?

No I don't, but that doesn't take away from the polish that Bethesda put on it. One of the previous anons mentioned oversaturation in the market and I think they're spot on with that.

When people talk about gaming getting worse, they're referring to the fact that devs in general today seem lazier because they're no longer pushing that envelope and giving us more. They're just doing the status quo (which works from a business aspect and satisfies the casual audience) But the rest of us who have been doing it forever miss sinking our teeth into something new. And since we've been doing it so long, theres almost nothing thats really new and not a rehash.

The only improvements is the number of npc able to be displayed / calculations the hardware can put out, the graphics, and the game worlds are increasing in size.

So while games feel less in depth, they're more immersive and beautiful to look at. And unfortunately that beauty takes up all of the devs times these days, which is why when anyone wants something with depth; they have to turn to an indie dev that sacrifices graphics for content and mechanics.

In short, big devs these days play it safe and release the same old shit over and over and don't push boundaries anymore because its too risky for such a large investment of capital.

>the buggy mess of a game that is Fallout 4
>polish
Where exactly is that polish? Everything about that game is rushed and broken. Bethesda does a few things really well but you can't seriously be claiming that "polish" was one of the things you liked about fallout 4.

Really? What games are indie devs putting out then?

this and this is way they come up with a half finished product and allows people to makes modes so that they dont have to put too much money and effort in releasing a complete game and these days its all about pre-alpha/alpha pre-release bullshit cause they want the money right the fuck now and conssumers pray the fucking god yhey finish the game and dont release a dlc in a fucking early access like Ark

I buy a new game every month or so, most recently This is the Police so rather than make a super long shit post about every game in my library I'll just say that This is the Police is a great example of what indie devs are capable of. Not only is it a weird mish mash of resource management and multiple choice visual novel it's also got a pretty slick and unique art style.

Because Bethesda makes games for PC and then deconstructs the game down to work on inferior systems.
I've played skyrim for example on both PC and on the PS3
I have about 100 hours on the PS3 but I had about 1400 hours on the PC because of mods that kept the game fresh, graphic overhauls that kept it looking great, improvements, tweaks, etc.
Bethesda releases games for the community to finish. That's the secret, sorry to spoil it for you.

Every Bethesda game is broken on release, and for PC the community has a patch made within 12-24 hours of release. Then the modding starts

i don't think Sierra exists anymore.

i place a lot of blame on EA and Maxis. we could've had 2 extremely good games to draw us away from the shit that's being put out, but they blew it with The Sims and with Sim City.

matter of fact, i think the release of the last Sim City basically spelled doom for everything else.
everything must be online now, everything must DRM, everything must have micro transactions and cut content to be spread out between 50 xpacs for you to buy.

"wanna pirate, we'll just do these gay practices"
literally fighting fire with fire and will probably be the end of their companies.

It's not really polish when the community has to fix it for you though. It's certainly not something to praise Bethesda for either as it's just laziness and/or ineptitude.
Personally, I don't use mods. If the game isn't good vanilla, it's not really worth your time.

My dad emails with Ken Williams from time to time.
Sierra doesn't exist it, it was cannibalized by activision

Of course the game isn't polished, that's what I was saying.
Of course Bathesda is lazy. Why pay people to do all that work when you can get legions of nerds to do it for free and they get what they want because they create it.
It's the smartest business decision ever imo.

I think the best thing that gaming today can do is release games like skyrim and fallout and the like but even more empty and let the community fill them up.
That's one of the biggest appeals to the mod community, added content. New dungeons, new bosses, new quests, new new new.
And what's better is you can take your own ideas and put them into the game. It's actually quite noice.

This is me with fallout

Is everyone forgetting about overwatch??

Yeah I just had a look at it, it really isn't my sort of game. I am happy for you with the fact that you are able to fine enjoyment out of games like that but I am not looking for anything like that.

I want a dark atmospheric FPS game, there used to be a continuous flow of them, unfortunately games like that seem to have come to a complete halt.

No

It's not a great game, it's decent. It's not bad... but it's unbalanced, it's clunky at times, it's really not something that deserves all the attention it's getting.
It's a pile of shit, it just smells a lot better than COD

The other thing is that with the increased communication, we hear tons of updates / marketing from companies. They have to make promises and to hype the game up they promise far more than they can deliver.

But if you go back to the 90s, there was actually very little news/marketing. A game simply came out and unless they released a demo, you didn't know. So the game would explode in popularity if it was good, and would spread through word of mouth / reviews. This means that devs didn't have the issue they have now where they make false promises to try and lure people and then slap them in the face with unfinished products. Back then, if it was unfinished, it never sold.

Maybe you just see it as glass half full, rather than enjoying what youve got?

It's tf2 but with 2016 improvements like not having white males only as the characters how disgusting.

ive played it for like a couple of days and ive never thought of going back

And unfortunately, the marketing and hyping WORKS, Companies are increasingly releasing half assed work because it sells simply because of brand recognition / hype.

Back in the day you HAD to make an amazing game for it to work, because almost all of it hinged on its quality and was mostly spread through word of mouth.

I haven't found a game I can spend more than 5 hours in lately without getting bored aside from darksouls and gears of war. I don't entirely agree with you but 99% of everything I see or try is complete garbage.

it's just become much harder to find gems in the sea of re release bullshit that gets churned out at nearly the speed of movies. just gotta have an open mind and try demos. dilution is a bitch, personally gonna try out sea of thieves when it comes out, and already have a hat in time and yooka laylee purchased

same thing with music and movies, couldnt tell ya what it is buddy

Well everyone enjoys different things, so i dont understand why some people get so butthurt and worked up about this

I've kind of been feeling that lately even with good games.

Anybody played 'inside'? Because I found it really refreshing and the artwork was great. I really hope theyll make a sequel to it

do you even CS:GO ?

When you are younger, you have a narrower focus. You can play video games for hours, but as you get older, shit doesn't hold your attention the way it once did.

great list user, 98' was literally the best year that there will ever be in gaming. will never be beaten.

Overwatch is the foundation to epic possibilities. But as it is now it'll have a rather short lifespan. I hope theyll work on an open world version of overwatch

I wanted to love Doom so bad after being screwed by Doom3. It's just buggy as hell though.

take a break from gaming, pursue other hobbies for a while. I had the exact same issue, took a break and started reading and drawing and shit, which eventually lead to games being fun again after a while

Likewise.

I've been sticking to Indy games mostly.

>Rimworld (15 straight hours when I found it, top down colony management that's indepth as fuck)
>Day of Infamy (Day of Defeat sequel)
>Master of Orion (Space Civ)
>We Happy Few(Alpha but interesting concept and some fairly fun gameplay)

You won't get anything new out of western markets. Try Japanese doujin games if you want something new.

This is a very good point

The 500 ton hype train of No Man's Sky is a good example of this

sounds like fag-speak to me. i still play the shit out of vidya, although i admit i do require alcohol/drugs/caffeine to really love it

My ex's name was Sierra.

I'm so tired of this argument.
Games are objectively worse than they used to be. THey strip the depth out of games to appeal to tards. Of course games are less good when most of them are "press x to win" shitfests with a qte final boss.

good ol days where games came out finished with over 100+hours of gameplay

I was actually surprised by this game. It was way more fun than I anticipated.

youtube.com/watch?v=0dofacvjRkc

also this, lowest common denominator is what major companies tend to cater to usually indie devs are the only people taking risks like developers used to when gaming was in its infancy

Maybe you should form your own opinion on games,don't follow what everyone else says,if you have no interest in a game don't buy it,don't buy a game because of the hype or you will be disappointed. Seriously guys it's not that hard

well im not gonna lie but this new Ubisoft game (for honor) is pretty fucking dope to bad its fucking 80$

yup, I only play PS2 games and some old pc games.

If that girl came up to you in a bar with that on her face and acted that way, would you make out with her?

Fucking misogynist, back to fucking Syria you shitlord rapist.

Facefuck her

absolutley

I'm in Syria, nigga

Not really man. I can focus a lot better now than when I was a kid.

CSGO is from 2012

21 year old fag here that doesn't play games anymore. I think the issue is novelty. If I was 12 right now I would think Fallout4 and the newest rendition of every series would be the greatest games right now. But when I was 12, CoD4, Fallout3, GOW, and Oblivion were my games. I think until the technology surpasses what we have now exponentially, games can't get any different. I think games have to be more challenging now. Last game I played that genuinely enjoyed was Resident Evil 4, then I played Resident Evil 6 and was thoroughly disappointed.

Eh I actually liked doom 3, it changed in many ways but I actually kinda liked the changes.

Gaming is stronger than ever. There are more good indie studios than there were indie games back in 2000s. Of course AAA games are usually crap but its retarded to claim they werent back in the day.

Id take division over Daikatana any day

But user, while it's true that there have always been bad games, there used to be good AAA games.

I personally dont understand this thread at all. I have been gameing from 1990 when gameboy was first released in europe and oh boy oh boy has the gameing got better over the years. Nowdays you have steam and other platform that relese games from small indie companies and there sure is no shortage of games to play. I make a small list of games that i have played alot.
Populous the beginning, Dungeon keepper II, Warcraft, Starcraft, Civilization all the way to V,
World of Warcraft, Syndicate series, Faster Then light, Planetside, League of Legends, Half life series, Countter Strike 1.6, Skyrim, Eve Online, Terraria, World of Tanks, Rust, Minecraft, Simicity 2000, Ward Thunder, company of heroes, Borderlands
There are honestly so many games that it would take too long to list em all.

gotta say though, 2016 is just a year of delays, and failed games

What's the Demoman?

New deus ex was decent desu. LoL is still kicking and R6 Siege was a good fps

B-but muh autistic survival games and bows!!

I agree with you OP.
Doom went to shit
Tomb raider went to shit
Assassin's creed went to shit
Fallout went to shit
Elder Scrolls went to shit
list goes on, the younger and faggy generation ruined it

Then theres autistic games for autistic teens like undertale and the survival games. Most people who are defending new games are autistic weeb fags who praise shitty indie games like undertale and nmi, fucking retards

>retail price AAA title with microtransactions and some of the most fucked up preorder bonuses of all time
>decent
pick one and only one.

90% of the games you listed are garbage, you have poor tastes.

>but muh preorder bonuses
Nigga,those were a thing before 2000s. You could get special stuff with walmart edition.

Also those dont affect gameplay in a meaningful way

Well this pretty much sums the problem for most gamers that think gameing is ded. They can only play one genre or type of games and when the FPS or whatever genre is ded they feel like the entire gameing indistry is gone. To be honest its bit sad...

lmao no

The Mortal Kombat series is still standing strong (despite the retarded ass microtransactions in MKX)

DOOM revived the old-school style level design and keycard collecting and other elements like no reloading. I hope this inspires other games to do this sort of thing again.

If anything, gaming has greatly improved after 2014

Have you played Satellite Reign yet? Spiritual succesor to the Syndicate series. If you haven't check it out. Has it's bugs here and there but it's a decent play.

>defending "Augment your Pre-order" shameless jewery and one time use items bought with REAL MONEY in a primarily single player game
Yes it affected my gameplay in a meaningful way, it means I won't be playing that game.

I dont play much shooters, new games are shit on all genres. Civ V is shit, skyrim is shit, minecraft is shit, LoL? Really? Planetside? Fucking kys

my aim has gone to shit as i got older. i used to play cs 1.6, cod4 and tf2 competitively.

holy fuck im not even close to 30 and i suck at these new fps games.

>DOOM revived the old-school style level design and keycard collecting and other elements like no reloading.

How can I defend something which got scrapped,slowpoke

I've heard from multiple reputable sources and people I know that that's the case user, you're gonna have to substantiate that shitpost.

12 year old detected

Mortal kombat X is trash, shitty costumes, shitty microtransactions, shitty roster, shitty story mode, shitty fatalities

DOOM was a massive let down and failure.

What are you, 12yrs old?

Path of Exile
Elite: Dangerous
Deponia series
Grimrock series

all awesome recent games

u guys r just grampas XD gaming is beter tbhan aever

ther is five nights fredy
cod
halo
undertale

al your games r vobrings

path of exile is shit
elite dangerous is a good game but it gets boring fast

Destiny is king.
Getting ready for Rise Of Iron

Doom is 11 hours long, 15 with sides and main, and 24 for completionist. That's maybe 4 to 7 days real time play for me.
It is not worth $65 for that short of a time that has no replay-ability factor.
I liked Doom when I was younger, but this really isn't anything special.
If devs want my money, they need better games or launch some of my favorite titles - like Legacy of Kain: Dead Sun. I absolutely love the LoK series - but they fucked it all away - canceled Dead Sun before release, canceled Nosgoth after a few months. I would be overjoyed if they released a LoK Nosgoth Collection - all the previous games redone to HD for current gen systems like the Master Chief Collection.
These games I would put down money for because they are worth it to me. Doom wasn't anything special, for me at least.

Explain how DOOM's campaign was a massive let down.

You wanted Brutal Doom? Well guess what it's not, faggot. Brutal Doom isn't as spectacular as it was anymore.

this might be acceptable youtube.com/watch?v=VN1N05WmiqU

doubt it though

>path of exile is shit

Have you been to Cred Forums?

It's a horrible place full of 12 year old fanboys throwing feces at each other. You can't discuss video games there.

>It's a horrible place full of 12 year old fanboys

Was completely psyched for Destiny, and then it came out.
Within a week was done and no replayability. So, bought the season pass, being promised 5 expansions for it.
Got 2 expansions before they niggeredly changed their minds and made people start paying, FUCKING AGAIN, for the expansions that was supposed to be with the season pass.
Now, the newest expansion is for pvp mode that sucks more cock than most of your mothers do on a nightly basis when working the truck stop.
I loved Bungie and everything, but fuck them for making Destiny absolutely shit after promising a series better than Halo. I by fuck them, I mean with a huge, syphalytic, barbwire covered horse cock that's been in that cunty whore Anita Sarkeesian's crusty ass.
Fuck Bungie for Destiny, and fuck Destiny.

It's worse than Cred Forums because the retards there are influenced by marketing.

My brother loves Destiny. No idea why.

He bought a PS4 and a 55" UHD TV just for that game and now playing it is the only thing he does in his free time.

Such a true statement

Have a buddy that plays it endlessly.
"Come on guys, let's play Destiny!"
No thanks, I got better things to do like sit in a room full of SJW cunts and their dickless fembot males and listen to them drone on endlessly about muh patriarchy until I want to fucking gargle with 12 gauge buckshot.

In short - yes. Today the corporations are spewing out shit at light speed.

Most if not all games are supreme ez mode these days compared to the unforgiving games I grew up with (Super Mario 3 etc).

Around 2000 was gamings crescendo imo. Asherons Call, Diablo 2, Unreal Tournament, Everquest, Quake 3, Rainbow Six, Tony Hawk Pro Skater, Marvel vs Capcom 2, Soldier of Fortune, Mechwarrior, Tribes 2, Dark Age of Camelot, Shogun: Total War, Phantasy Star Online etc etc. Amazing times... definitely peaked around the time of Dreamcast.

youtube.com/watch?v=d6MS1nsrv10