Ask a pacifist anything

Ask a pacifist anything.

Other urls found in this thread:

lawfulpath.com/ref/sw4qw/index.shtml
twitter.com/NSFWRedditVideo

We live in a very nonviolent world. Pacifism is hardly something people consider today, unless they're in a high nigger neighbourhood and want to get mugged.

Anyway, why do you think it makes you interesting enough to be a topic of conversation?

Do you live in the pacific ocean?

No, right near the Atlantic. I've never even seen the Pacific, I imagine its pretty.
I'm bored on a Sunday afternoon.

do you like lasange?

Are you indifferent to the fact this thread will 404 soon?

I give it ten minutes. But who knows what will happen in this wacky town?
No.

What would You do if your mother gets raped on your own eyes?

She's dead, so that would be pretty damn terrifying, might not do anything but run. If she were alive, likely disarm and restrain the rapist. If he has a weapon, even a gun would be hard to use if hes fucking, and so it wouldn't be hard to take it or break his wrist. at that point I can pull them off, and probably break a limb or two to guarantee he is immobile until police arrive.

your opinion on self defense and armed intervention?
(should for example the US have fought nazi-germany in WW2?)

would you give the order to kill 1 billion people, if you knew it would be the only way to save the earth.

Where do you live? I want to kick the shit out of you

what would you do if i punched you in the face

Not OP
Actually I'm planning to kill off like 1.5billion in a great cleansing

If we can demonstrate we are preventing an even greater loss of life by committing violence, the violence is justified. Self defense is necessary if your own life is in danger, and even then you should avoid killing someone else. Disarming and immobilizing them until they can be arrested is best. If you mean on a national level, the same principle applies.
Yes.

>pacifism

congratulations on being a first world upper middle class suburban kid

you can sit in your 4 walls thinking how nice of a person you are for being such a pacifist while your country is out there bombing the shit out of the "bad people"

United States on the east coast.
You are pure irony, my sir. Why commit violence against that which cannot threaten you?
Attempt to reason with you,though you managing to do that is unlikely. I have a first degree black belt in tae kwon do, the only people that can punch fast enough for me to not block it or move tend to be other martial artists. If that fails I'll likely try to disable you temporarily, if I can grab your wrist before you recoil the punch you'll be open long enough for me to break your floating rib. Most people don't keep fighting after that.

Do you think Aang was right to take such a hard pacifistic stance with dealing with the Firelord?

You do know how much that pisses me off right? Are you saying I can't believe in peace because I'm ruled by the violent?

how many pacifiers do you own

do you lie awake at night imagining getting your nub sucked like one?

Yes, that was the best possible ending for that story, but I understand that Korra unfortunately couldn't do the same for whiteface or the demon god

A few around my house because I have to babysit my nephews and nieces so often.
I don't have to imagine a sex life, unlike you, user.

I'm asexual

You're a genetic defect.

lawfulpath.com/ref/sw4qw/index.shtml
Thoughts after reading this Mr. Pacifist?

Why do you think it's better to use words to define your personality than it is to develop a real personality.

Man when you tell all the ladies at a party you weren't invited too that you're a pacifist and have fucking nothing else to say I bet their pussy's get so fucking wet.

You can impregnate yourself?

That's hot user-kun.

No but seriously please tell us more about how special you are.

Obviously I'm not enough of an autist to do that in real life, but on an anonymous image board how else is one supposed to convey the basic elements of their personality? I could have started this thread with any number of facets of my personality, ones that would get guarunteed replies, ones that would cause unholy flame wars, or ones that would cause a riot of support, but I wanted to see what something as benign as pacifism would cause. How do you know I'm not just experimenting anyway? I could be a cold blooded killer for all you know, faggot. Words can't define personality, thats obvious, but they're literally the only way to describe it.
To your second point, have you ever seen someone actually do that? That sounds fucking hilarious.

fight me you coward

Yeah I'm not reading a book right now. Tldr it for me, would you?

Nothing Ironic about it. You are weak and I must assert my dominance. I may even rape you too.I will enjoy hearing you beg for mercy.

Make me

I'll fight you. You'll lose. You won't be dead or crippled though.

i doubt i'll lose

i'm saying that you as a citizen of an arguably advanced and free society have a greater burden than other humans in the FIGHT for world peace.

sitting around thinking about pacifism doesnt do anyone any good. it just makes yourself feel better inside the bubble.

it's a privileged thought for people who are afraid of a fight

you already have people fighting for you, if you didnt have that backup and you had to face the real human experience you wouldn't be thinking pacifism.

Watch that edge, bro.
Do whatever you want, user

I am a peaceful creature. I do advocate for peace, I've done my part in local government and political discourse of the nation to present and "fight" for my ideas. I'm bored and chilling out in my room so I made a thread on Cred Forums like any other idiot.
Thinking about pacifism can do a great deal of good. If I never thought of it I may have become a serial killer for all you know. If I never thought of it I would never advocate it. If I never thought of it, no one who's heard my ideas would consider the notion. I do not fear conflict, I find the least harmful way to get through it.
There are almost no places on Earth where the US is actually fighting for peace. Most of the places we are fighting in are for our own interests. ISIS is our only real threat to peace, and every single one of their soldiers must be killed. None of them can be salvaged from their brainwashing and they will only cause more devastation,
Go outside, kid

pacifist!=special

the vast majority of the world lives their day to day lives as pacifists. everyone prefers peace. there is nothing special or interesting about you in anyway.

Yeah, most people would tell you they're pacifists. But ask them if they would kill another person for committing a heinous crime.
The ones that say yes aren't pacifists.
Now ask all of them if they would inflict pain on another person just because that person did the same to them, something as simple as being punched in the face. If their first reaction is violence, they are not a pacifist. Anyone who self-describes as a pacifist, but would commit violence when an alternative exists, is not a pacifist. Secondly, have you been on Cred Forums for two days? Pacifism is rarer than pedophiles here.

How much money you got?

On me, like $3.
If this a joke about mugging me, think of the scene from The Last Airbender where Iroh befriends his mugger.

who gives a fuck about pacifists? not like they're any kind of threat. good to know theyre out there though. when purge happens, im going to your fucking house first.

tell me just how athletic you are Mr. Neckbeard

Well since you saw through my poor attempt at humor...

The problem with pacifism is that any non-pacifist can pretty much run roughshod over your entire society.

To mention another movie, Starship Troopers, "Force is the ultimate authority..."

Don't get me wrong, I love the pacifist's dream, but like any "Utopia" it will never be anything more than a dream.

im willing to bet you're over 400 pounds

I can run a 7 minute mile, do about 30 consecutive push ups, and punch with about 90 psi. I have broken ribs before in self defense (humans are pretty fragile). Plus upwards of ten years doing tae kwon doe

Are you enjoying 7th grade? Are the other kids at school nice to you?

I would kill myself if I ever went above 250.
To you idiots, pacifism is an ideal, not a goal. under the threat of death, pacifism is an afterthought. You make the situation safe first, even if it means killing someone.

and there you go. your admission that pacifism is not a viable philosophy when faced with the reality of violence. so why did you come here again?

Here's a tip for you buddy: Kids in middle school don't use the internet like highschoolers and college kids. They still play outside. 9th-10th grade (an age range of 13-16) is the optimal underage Cred Forums browser age, since thats when puberty starts to hit and kids want to be cool and edgy. 7th grade is too young for them to care.

I never claimed it was a viable as an ultimatum. If you read the other posts you might start to grasp the concept of nuance, as I've explained how to deal with violence and danger already. The quick Tl;dr is that you search for the least harmful solution to every dangerous situation. There will be the occasional situation in which the only solution is to kill another person, or even multiple people. This does not mean you shouldn't strive for peace

so what i think you're saying is that "peace is good, lets have peace until we can't and then we'll have violence?"

if so you just described the fundamental underpinnings of all societies. we all agree to not kill each other unless we find that we have to kill each other.

cant beleive i selected all the pictures with storefronts for this.

Every civilized society says that is their goal.
None of them are telling the truth. They have death penalties, they kill people in wars that never end.

what you gonna do when i "pass a fist" across yo face?

I think its funny when young kids pretend to be older, are you using the computer in your kitchen?

I appreciate the pun though, user

I was earlier today when Mum needed me to come over and remove the facebook tier viruses she got on it again.

Wow you have literally never been in a fight. Only karate tards think this is accurate.

"Mum" = confirmed for faggot. Please kill yourself, that is the only time people will pretend to be your friend.

I don't think you've ever fought someone who knows how to fight, or react properly. Karate is not tae kwon doe.

And tae kwon doe is fucking stupid. Seriously, you're a fat moron.

Go away

You started tae kwon douche a month ago because your therapist said it would be good for your self esteem. Stop pretending like youre fucking bruce lee and grow up. Tired of you little faggots living lies on the internet.

Again, ten years. I think you might be projecting frustrations of your own life, user.
Does your self esteem benefit from attacking the claims of strangers on the internet?

How's France?

War. What is it good for?

Ten years and youre still a fat fuck pretending to be something youre not.

>If we can demonstrate we are preventing an even greater loss of life by committing violence, the violence is justified.
So when you say "pacifist", you mean that you would only use violence if it is called for in the situation?

>I imagine its pretty.
It looks like seal shit covered in algae.

>eventing an even greater loss of life by committing violence, the violence is justified.
>So when you say "pacifist", you mean that you would only use violence if it is called for in the situation?
I think she means violence is never, ever justified. Not even ever.

Not much
Probably pretty cool
Whatever makes you sleep well at night, user
Violence can be justified if it prevents violence. Otherwise it is immoral To be clear: An ideal can be nuanced.
The Atlantic looks like slaveships and oil spills.

does ur mom know ur gay lol xd

>Violence can be justified if it prevents violence.
I absolutely agree, dickhead. Non-consequentialist, normative ethics are bullshit.

Pacifism is preached the most by people that don't really believe it.

Have you read Nietzsche?

If 5 people want to rape you would you fight back or just let it happen?

What isn't it good for?

then youre not a pacifist. Pacifists believe that violence is an immoral act in itself, and so would never commit it, regardless of the consequences

Holy shit 30?? I'm not the other user but I can do 50 without a break. Lol, you're not as tough as you think
btw I'm a cop :^)

Pacifists believe that violence is never justifiable, you just gave a situation in which you would justify violence, therefore you are not a pacifist

Depends on the people.
Assuming these are people I'm not into I would fight them. I don't like my odds but I think I have a chance of disabling them all and calling the cops.
I retain the evolutionary urge to not die. Feminists are defined as people who want equality between the sexes, and we all know that isnt true.
No, what is it?

Why do you ask? Have you..?

I wasn't trying to sound impressive, I was giving a description.

Where does the word comes from?

why

No.

>i retain the evolutionary urge to not die

so? what does that have to do with the definition of pacifism? Its a strawman

pacifism is defined as being a position one takes when one cannot justify violence, you just stated multiple cases where you would, therefore you are not a pacifist, youre just someone with beliefs

Feminism is allegedly equality. You still trust definitions?
What?
Ok
No clue
The idea of causing another person pain or ending a life forever turns my stomach.

>regardless of the consequences
Right, I was under the impression that pacifists wer non-consequentialist ethicists.

>I retain the evolutionary urge to not die.
There's no "evolutionary urge" to not die, or do anything for that matter. Many today welcome the possibility, and even inevitability of death (e.g., military personnel and suicidals). As a historical example, Aztec children used to relish in the fact of becoming ritual sacrifices.

All urges are cultural and are engendered by cultural pressures.

So what is your definition of pacifism, and can we all just make one up to suit us?

Pace = Peace in latin

Do you not understand evolution? The urge to stay alive is biological. I didn't say shit about culture, culture can fuck up biology in all kinds of ways.
>Jews cut up their dicks

why are you such a pussy?

I learned something today, thanks user.
As long as you can get a majority of people in internet forums to agree with your definition.

>Feminism is allegedly equality.
Correction: Feminism was *originally* an egalitarian movement. Nowadays, they exist in two major camps: egalitarian, and ideological feminists. The latter are what people typically think of when they think of "bad" feminists.

Why can't you get any?

So what is your definition and why have you changed the meaning?

anytime

Your mom would beg to differ. Nothing turns a woman off faster than a scrawny ass hippy peace lover

No, pace is "by/with/from/in/at/on peace" in Latin. Pax is peace in Latin.

lrn2inflectedlanguages, dumbshit

Why do ducks breathe

>Do you not understand evolution?
You're the idiot who believes biology has primacy over culture when it comes to human psychology/behavior. You're a biological determinist. You're an idiot.

>The urge to stay alive is biological.
Sure, in animal species. But this isn't a universal, cross-culturally observed urge in humans. Very few urges are.

Idiot.

Nothing gets the panties to drop like educated, fit, reasonable men who don't get pissed enough to kill people.
Someone who fights for peace, peacefully, even in the face of danger.

sure dude

They need oxygen for cellular respiration.
Humans are animals, and you failed biology and psychology class, didnt you?

so a terrorist? a freedom fighter? a revolutionary? Someone who would justify fighting simply isnt not a pacifist. There are many intellectuals who speak on this topic, if youre actually serious about it I recommend doing some research

>fights for peace, peacefully
>fighting peacefully

bad b8 9/11

>So what is your definition of pacifism, and can we all just make one up to suit us?

lets all make up our own:

pac·i·fism ˈpasəˌfizəm' noun

the belief that any violence, including war, is unjustifiable under any circumstances, and that all disputes should be settled by op kneeling down and sucking cock. Often used as a shitpost topic on Cred Forums.

>implying not being a pussy pacifist = being a serial killer

please, faggot. anybody with an education about the real world (read: not libtarded college bullshit) is NOT a pacifist. women think pacifists are total pussies because they would never defend themselves or their girl because of >muh principles

Fighting for peace peacefully means not using violence to reach peace.
Define the word "fight", user

why are you such a faggot?

>Humans are animals
Of course they are. But non-human animal behavior is not cultural. Human behavior is. The former is biologically determined, while the latter isn't.

>you failed biology and psychology class, didnt you?
>didnt
Of course not. But you probably failed English, haha.

Idiot.

Please go back to

only when you go back to tumblr you unbelievable faggot

So lets say youre wife and daughter were tied up by a burglar with a knife to their throats, as youre a pacifist youve made a committment to non-violence as its unjustfifiable, you would try to negotiate, and then what? What if they slaughter them? you would watch and say 'please stop' ; that is the position of pacifism,

fight defined as a violent confrontation

Why must you be so smart user?
I can't argue with your godlike logic.
Is your IQ above 150?

I would remove the assailants weapon after trying to reason with them. At that point they would fuck off, and I would force them to stay while the police arrived or threaten to kill them.
Fight as in advocate.

Has this idiot defined how he's using the term "pacifism?"

OP here
Abandoning thread, I have been entertained enough.

How would you remove it? Non-violently? There would be no opposition to just taking the weapon? How would you force them to stay, if not by initiating force or aggression and therefore violence?

this is why peace fails, every fucking time. There will always be something in the universe that doesn't play by your hippy rules, and so you will always be at a disadvantage by foregoing violence.

>remove their weapon
>without violence
>then they would magically fuck off

holy kek I knew you were a pussy faggot but I think you're literally retarded

Just stahp... you're gay.

>Last post by OP
An in-to-out kick at the hand would make them drop it, at which point I could retrieve the weapon.

>kicking their hand isnt violence
>being able to kick that fast and that accurately in a high pressure situation

dream on man, that just isnt possible

and what about stopping them leaving?

he's obviously a sheltered little pussy who's never EVER been in anything resembling a conflict or fight in his life

>why peace fails, every fucking time.
Partly true. But just because it's failed much in the past doesn't mean it can't possibly succeed in the future.

>always be at a disadvantage by foregoing violence.
Always? That's retarded bullshit, and you're wrong.

give me one conflict situation where I'm at an advantage by limiting myself to ONLY non-violent behavior?

>one conflict situation
First of all, this is a fucking retarded request, because even little children understand that many interpersonal conflicts can be resolved politely and without violence.

Second, you're assuming that all conflicts manifest themselves in singular situations, and cannot manifest as prolonged struggles, such as the African-American Civil Rights Movement, which was a non-violent struggle.

Once again, you prove yourself to be an idiot. Keep 'em coming, slugger.

Fucking kids don't know that there a whole fucking world out there. You can be a fucking pacifist in your world but in reality ideals like that will only keep you from living in most third world countries. In a world filled with horror and violence ideals get thrown out the window, especially ones like these. If you are in a subject of war then words won't do shit, sad but that's the world we live in.

So tell me? What fucking agenda do you have being in this shithole?

not limiting yourself to only peaceful actions is not the same as using violence. try again

Haha a seven minute mile. 30 consecutive push ups. At least your honest right? Pretty sure a seven minute mile is trash, my record back in the day was 5:23 although I'll give it to ya that most people on this site couldn't run a mile. And I probably would too out around 30-40 push ups I'm more than willing to admit I'm a skele and most people in shape could do 50+ in a row np. My roommate once did 200 while I played dark souls and made me count but he's a meat head

I'm glad you mention the plight of oppressed people, because this is highly pertinent. To say that they can never possibly live in a state of peace is just your run-of-the-mill fatalism, a mentality that just serves to further their oppression. In reality, they can, through peaceful political organizing, change their situations.

Choosing peace while people are dying all around you just makes you unwilling to participate. Not somehow magically better. It's the choice to let others fight for you, while telling everyone that your winning...by sitting on your ass?

>not limiting yourself to only peaceful actions is not the same as using violence.
Obviously, you're just arguing semantics. I was speaking under the assumption of a violent/peaceful dichotomy here. Obviously, there is a vague middle ground, but this fact is not relevant to this discussion.

By calling yourself a pacifist you are limiting yourself to this dichotomy, whereas anyone who has ever spent time in real life knows that EVERYTHING in the world is a vague middle ground. Never limit yourself. If you do, you have a disadvantage to anybody who doesn't abide by your rules.

>By calling yourself a pacifist
I never called myself a pacifist, you buttfucker. I'm the guy who's been decrying non-consequentialist ethics, pacifism being a subset of that.

Anyway, my point you responded to was just that it's possible to be at an advantage using only non-violent means. I didn't mention anything about peaceful actions in particular there.

>by sitting on your ass?
+1

Sitting on your ass while someone gets shot and doing absolutely nothing about it despite having the power to, is the same as murdering that person yourself. Only non-consequentialist ethicists would think otherwise.

>possible to be at an advantage using only non-violent means

This is true, I never said it wasn't. But if you are theoretically limited to only those based on muh ethics, despite the possibility of changing circumstances, it will never put you at an advantage, and certainly may disadvantage you. But if you aren't the hippy I thought I was talking to then you already knew that

We put ourselves in this fucking system where in most places the only way and I mean ONLY way to end things that won't span over 15 generations is fight fire with fire as gruesome as it is.

I'm 100% sure you are sitting somewhere comfortably preaching about how things can be done peacefully in this day and age. When you clearly don't know how horrible it is.

We live in two worlds. One where we have to fight to survive and one where we are lucky to be born into a peaceful country.

As sad as it might be your ideals are invalid in the long run. Wether it's because of power hungry rulers or fucking psychopaths we live in a duality where there will always be war and conflict and sometimes you can't do jack shit.