READ!!!

READ!!!

The marines have flamethrowers and fuel to last 900 octillion years, after that its handguns and boots.
The fight takes place on an infinite flat field, obviously not in this universe so no black holes and shit. The marines start in 1 group and the ants come from all directions (by foot) untill 1 team is 100% dead.
No death by hunger, dehydration, old age or disease but the marines still need sleep. No reproduction either.

Which team would win and why?

Other urls found in this thread:

waitbutwhy.com/2014/11/1000000-grahams-number.html
twitter.com/SFWRedditGifs

marines

>and why?

How do you think the fight would go?

exactly

The weight of each team would collapse them into a black hole you fucking twat. Neither team would win, they would just combine into a destroyer of worlds.

>incalculable number vs a big number

the ants would win

you guys have been here too much, i make this thread like once a month, unless someone else is making it no way have you seen it before that many times.

>no black holes and shit.
you twat.

i think the ants would win, only because ants can move fast if yhey are hell bent pn killing and i dont think flamethrowers could keep up.

i have lol.

The rules do not say there aren't any black holes. You have the answer. Now shut it.

which part of "no black holes and shit." dont you understand?

What is graham's number?

its a big number.

The smelly African soldiers would eat the ants

The "no black holes" part.

They have enough fuel to last 900 octillian years, but do they have enough food and water to last that long too or do they have to resort to drinking piss and eating each other?

I gathered that much, but so is a googolplex

>No death by hunger, dehydration, old age or disease

Tho the odds are that some cannibalism and piss drinking will be happening.

>i make this thread like once a month
>implying that once isnt enough
>implying that you have literal autism

also
ants would win
do you even know how large of a number a grahams number is? its a whole fucking lot

I totally read that sentence wrong. My bad

What type of ants

the small kind

The quantity of ants is simply too great. They can attack in huge waves that tower vertically into the sky. Once a wave of ants reaches directly above the marines, ants would get hit by flames, but then their burning bodies would fall on the marines and burn them to death. The dense masses of ants would act as napalm.

So graham's number is like... bigger than a googolplex?

I guess it doesn't matter. The real question op should be asking is how many ants per person would it take to take down the army?

Imagine if you had to write out Graham's number. You can't, if you wrote out each digit at the size of a planck volume (the smallest measure we have) there wouldn't be enough room in the observable universe

The ants don't know their in a fight though

>do you even know how large of a number a grahams number is?
Oh you have only seen the thread but never actually been in it.

>how many ants per person would it take to take down the army?
That number is too big to be expressed here without using advanced notations that you have never heard of.

/thread

If their common target was to kill the marines they would just simply swarm them and kill them by suffocation.

ants obviously
don't underestimate graham's nummber
think of the question like this:
1 googolplex ants or 1 marine?

Marines easy since they are small ants also theflamethrower could be aimed at the ground and any ants near it would die from the heat, the flamethrower would also heat up the ground so ants wouldn't want to be near it. Animals have a natural aversion to fire so they wouldn't be attacking the marines

That is also true for a googolplex.
Your point is useless.

Welfare would win

Half of the marines jog in a circle singing marching songs while the other half rests inside. Switch every few hours. Stomp all the ants to death without losing a single marine and you still have 900 octillion years worth of flamethrower fuel to cook some japs.

they only live to kill the marines, but even if they didnt know they were supposed to attack, the fight would become even more difficult for the marines, they would have to go find every single and on the infinite field before the fight would end and i wouldnt be able to go for that long before i killed myself.

100% without a doubt the ants

The marines can just attack then jog away and repeat until they win.

Graham's number is incomprehensibly larger than

3↑↑↑↑3, the first layer of Graham's tower, which is enormously larger than

3↑↑↑3, which is tremendously larger than

3↑↑5, which is much, much larger than

Googolplex.

dude thats just wrong.

3↑↑↑3 has a couple trillion digits iirc.
a googolplex has a googol amount of digits.

no one

i gather that Graham's number is larger than the number of atoms in the known universe. Being as though an ant takes more than one atom to exist, and therefore can't exist in such an amount, I'm going with the marines.

although we are talking Americans, so they'd probably friendly ffire themselves to death.

You're retarded. GRAMS # IS equal to 10000000000000000000000000000000000000000^10. GooGLEplex is equal to 1000000000000000000^10 ants win

Nice 3rd grade interpretation

EDF EDF

The fight would probably go on for longer than the lifetime of the universe. The space that the Marines and the ants would take up would be the size of thousands of universes. The ants at the back of the group would be like billions of light years away from the Marines.

>thousands of universes

This is an understatement so big you should be ashamed and actually look up graham's number.

you have an idea how many fucking ants that is? they would just fuck it, im saging this shit

Yeah you're probably right. I was just trying to be conservative. I have no idea what the surface area of a googolplex of human beings and a Graham's number of ants would be.

>>>/r/icameherejusttopointoutthatimstupid

the marines would win.

Ants would die of old age before the marines. Even if marines put up no resistance it would take ants billions of years before they can get to the last marine.

I think it was estimated to be larger than the number of subatomic particles inside of our solar system.

It's pretty fuck heugh

the ants would attack eachother, also considering that they are multiple universes diameter away from the marines they would just attack eachother for food/because.

Marines win (after an impossibly long 'clean up' operation)

are you fuckin retarded or something? that aint right

why would the ants attack eachother ?

read the fucking rules, yet again someone makes themselves look stupid in several ways at the same time.

10^86 peas needed to fill the observable universe
10^100 a googol
10^14 the number of universes you could fill with a google of peas
Grahams' number is unbelievably larger than a googol

They are ants. Ants from different colonies attack eachother for territory.
No single colony ever can supply a ghrams number worth of ants so they must be drawn from multiple colonies.
Thus they will attack eachother and the marines will win.
duh

but we are talking about googolplex here, which is a number that has a googol amount of DIGITS!

Kek.

The universe will break down and become empty void long before the fuel runs dry

> No reproduction.
> After one minute, ants realize their queen isn't putting out.
> Kill the queen.
> Try to make new queen by feeding an egg appropriately.
> But there are no eggs.
> Queen scent fades.
> Nest disperses.
> Ant free for all.
> Every any for themselves.
> All ants die within two hours.
Marines win.

Graham's Number is still unbelievable larger

so something like
0*10^(10000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000^100) ?
wow that if a big number!

Most ants are female... there are plenty around to lez out with

this

even if it was 1 marine vs 1 googolplex ants, if the marine spun in circles with his flamethrower, it would prove a barrier against the ants. this, and also if the ants were piling up like people are saying, they would suffocate each other and die at an exponential rate. but if they dont pile, they die by not getting close enough

That's what a marine would do, if we had a bajillion lezzie marines. But ants are stupid ad fight each other instead once the nesting scent fades, and that's why the Marines win.

you don't know much about ant reproduction, do you?

a consensus is reached.
The ant colony collapses and the ants attack eachother, doing the marines job for them.

MARINES WIN

Satan trips settle the issue once and for all.
Publish this in Nature magazine.

I wish I could animate this fucking conversation. All of it.

why cant you?
i say DO IT FAGGOT!

how you like that OP
you've been posting this thread for months and now we settled it for you. You're welcome.

Look at me, I'm so smart that I will scorn you for knowing one fact less than I do without even redirecting you to the most used and useful search engine in current existence.

Marines all day.

Ants be cryin and dying;
Marines be like "jump!jump!"

You can make anything happen by changing the rules.

Do people actually need me to tell them to google shit these days? i dont think so.

I bet not one person on this site has never heard of google.

What kind of ants?

>Replying only to the second half of the sentence.

Oh boy.

if the ants start in a disk around the marines, and walk towards the marines then one thing will happen.
The ants from further out will run into eachother as the concentric circles become smaller and smaller. As a circle slice of ants that is 10 universes wide becomes a circle one universe wide the ants will pile up by a rate of the delta r^2.
Eventually the ants will be miles high and only suffocate due to the weight of the ants on top of them.

SO after the initial wave (which the marines win handidly) the ants kill themselves merely by walking towards the marines. The marines can then relax and have maybe a small contingent to stomp any that make it alive.

marines win easily lol

If the ants are aware that they need to take down marines and can use same strats as for catching and killing other insects i think they win. The fatique of the marines due to needing sleep will just leave gaps and they become overrun at some point.

That's extremely easy to answer, if you know the basic idea behind the scale of both of those numbers. The ants would win, hands down.

>A googolplex is in absurdly large number
>Grahams's number is absurdly larger than that

Graham's number would be a googolplex X googolplex X googolplex Xgoogolplex Xgoogolplex Xgoogolplex etc...

Even if you stopped at googolplex X2, that would mean each soldier had to fight 1 googolplex of ants on their own. This would be impossible, let alone if it were a googolplex to the power of googolplex ad (nearly) infinitum.

There's no way. Ants win. Anyone who says otherwise don't know what these numbers mean.

i dont know man ... we haven't talked weather conditions maybe theres a storm and the dead ants will be blown a way

"changing the rules"
thats what ants do. thats what ants are. If you specified "genetically modified killer ants with super intelligence" then you can have this one. But the OP specified "ants" regular old garden ants. And they would panic and frenzy and kill eachother 10 times out of 10.

GG op you lose

this

3↑↑4 < googolplex < 3↑↑5
Even G1 is uncomprehendingly bigger, god help us all with G64 ants.

exactly

It's the ants.

I don't think people saying the marines have any fucking clue how big graham's number is.

To say 900 octillion years doesn't approach being enough is a colossal fucking understatement.

There's not enough room in the universe to write graham's number USING EXPONENTIAL NOTATION i.e. 2^2^2^2. Not even close to enough room.

The flamethrowers would run out without even having made a dent in their numbers.

There are not atoms in the universe to even begin to actually calculate Graham's number.

Graham number looks at infinity. And infinity cries.

Graham number is better than your cereal. The amount of cereal in all the boxes that could be contained in the universe would not even begin to comprise an atom of the graham number, if the Graham number were physical.

It is so big that your mama gets close to equal it when weighing her fat ass.

It is such a big number that nerds get a boner everytime they even try to think of a penis that grossly big bursting them from within.

If the number itself would comprise all the universe itself, I don't know in what fucking dimension the marines or even the ants themselves would be. A millionth plane of reality, in which OP is not a fag.

the ants aren't omnipresent. they still need to approach the marines and kill them somehow.
One marine with infinite flamethrower fuel can easily kill a lot of ants.

The only question is whether or not the rate of killing of the ants can will exceed or not the rate at which the ants approach. as i proved in this post the ants can only approach as a discreet rate without killing themselves. Any discreet rate is easily overcome by the marines killing power.

furthermore the ants do not know not to temper their approach, and will pile up and die, as ants are very fucking stupid and are only called to "come from all directions" to the marines.

tl;dr ants do not approach faster than the marines can kill, if they do they die, if they do not the marines killl them.

The ants.

If they come from all directions, and the Marines are of the US variety, then the ones in the middle of the circle of USMC are going to start firing like Jonny Fuckin' Rambo. Just like the ones on the outside of the pack mainly due to incurable MURRICA FUCK YEAH Syndrome.

The ants probably won't even need to get within range of the enemy flame throwers before the last marine holds up ol' betsy and sings that rousing song that used to be an Irish drinking ditty whilst shitting his pants.

By that argument, the marines would have to be a culmination of different forces as well. Humans, also, fight for territory.

marines dont, idiot.

if you wanna make shit arguments you could just say there isn't matter enough in several universes to have that many ants.

As well as the black hole argument.

Why not the argument of they are probably fire ants and spontaneously combust?

Or you could ask who the hell is flying that infinite large plane in the first place.

testing testing 123

>shit arguments

This is like wondering who would win, Goku or Dr. Strange. Pointless, in the end.

>
i know its out there grandma

welcome to Cred Forums

You can't use exponents to represent grhams number you dip wad hence the knuth arrow upvotes

You're leaving out the fact that if the ants died around the marines they would eventually climb over eachother, creating a mountain around them that is a near infinite amount of googolplexes tall. Either they would eventually smother the marines by walking toward them from above, or the mountains of dead ants would collapse on top of them, and still smother them. Either way, the marines can't win.

matter and black hole were covered in the OP post, l2readingcomprehension
>Or you could ask who the hell is flying that infinite large plane in the first place.
it's a hypothetical thought experiemnt, you and I are both flying the infinite plane IN OUR MINDS

lol

also fire ants are a specific type of ants and would need to be specified for that to be a valid assumption. as not specified generic 'ants' are the ants worked with.

double lol

>who is flying the plane?

My sides hurt so badly

are you retarded?

Well, idiot, if you say the ants "must come from different colonies since there aren't enough of them to make such a number" then you have to concede that there aren't nearly enough marines to form a fucking googolplex either.

So either they both have different groups coming together, or we could assume that they are all United States Marines, and ants from the same colony. Take your pick.

very good point
the marines could keep on the move however, walking and killing each day to prevent this. sleep for 12 hours, then the second shift walks for 12 hours ect.
possibly walk in a circle to make a mountain and then camp on top of the mountain, all the ants would die on the slopes giving the marines a respite

This was meant for you

I'd like to think that the marines might be from different backgrounds, but that when faced with an almost infinite number of ants, that they'd get their shit together.

the log of a googolplex is 10^100, or a googol
the log of that is 100
the log of that is 2

the log of graham's number cannot be written in this universe
the log of that can't be written in this universe
neither can the log of that
or the log of that
or the log of that

the number of logarithms required to get something that could be written is itself unwritable.

these numbers aren't similar. they aren't in the same multiverse of size. ants win, any argument otherwise is wrong.

The marines would still run out of fuel for the flame throwers before they had even killed an expressible fraction of the total ants. 900 octillion years of fuel is nothing when talking about graham's number of ants. Handguns and boots are going to worthless.

I like this user

You're a fucking spastic

well i supposed a large number of hypothetical ant colonies to take the ants from.
The only logical parallel would be a number of United States to take the marines from.
As the unites states has clear rules of what is expected from a marine, and each ant colony has a distinct pheromone marker, i do not think this is a problem at all.
The ants from each colony are different, and the united states marines are all the same. easy.

to put these numbers into perspective

waitbutwhy.com/2014/11/1000000-grahams-number.html

True, but the fact that the marines need sleep, must mean they can get tired. If the ant's end up suffocating each other there would still be mountains of near infinite height all around them that they would have to climb. Marines are in good shape, but they have nowhere near the stamina of ants. They would get tired way before they do.

The first question is, where do the ants come from? If it's an infinite field and they start at the end of said field, then they'll never make it to the Marines, thus no battle.

So what if the marines made protective vests? they could just ignore them

You are mentaly retarded. This would be more ants than could physically fit in the universe.

please see
the ants still need to approach the marines and the stunning amount of ants actually becomes a liability when they try to converge on the marines location.

Many of whom would be religious fanatics and psychopaths. In a googolplex of humans from different backgrounds, they could never truly organize, and some of which would probably welcome the end times and expect jesus or muhammad to come save them.

Wait....
Hold on...
Just for a demonstration
A googleplex= a number with one hundred place values EXAMPLE: 10000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000
Graham's number= imagine infinity but an actual number instead of a concept
>tl;dr you're dumb

i kinda imagine it like a wave front that would move farther out as denser rings of ants reach inward.
ants would start to die in a position relative to their starting position, not relative to their closeness to the marines.
the infinite mountains of ants would be taller farther from the marines.

I guess this quesiton depends on what the consistancy of dead and crushed ants becomes. If they clump into dirt, or more like sand. it's basically protein and water. so it would be a thick soup, which would not bode well for the marines. they would literally get washed away on an infinite plane!

>The ant colonies are from separate colonies with different pheremones
>The Marines are still from a large amount of United State(s)

That's just unfair then, you're making up a rule. If you akin the United States to an ant colony, then the ants would all be from the same colony.

Large number of the same countrh (United States) to create a giant army with the same values
Large number of the same ant colony to create their army with the same pheremones.

You can't just say the ants are different just because you feel like it.

No one is answering this question. It's a pretty big deciding factor.

Because infinity is still bigger than graham's number. There are still only a finite number of ants so they will eventually reach the marines.

but OP specified united states marines, the marines HAVE TO be unites states marines.

if he had said clones of ants then this would be a non issue.
the issue is a specified quantity versus a generic quantity. Op needs to clarify that; we cannot assume information not given to us and still maintain meaningfullness of the answer.

Tl;Dr EDF the thread.

no they wont. infinity is defined as arbitrarily large.
even a ghrams number spread evenly over an infinite plane would never run into another ant.

the marines could have bonfires for 900 octillion years and maybe kill a few ants.

so it is an extremely large deciding factor.

Grahams number is so large that when writing it in power towers, the towers length would be greater than from here to the center of the milkyway.

NO you idiot. The ants are larger than the universe. They are everything. They are so vast and innumerable their mass causes a second big bang.

if the ants and the marines never need to eat then they are generating free energy.
The marines could put ants on a treadwheels and use them to power gamma ray emitters/microwave engines

"Graham's number" = "an unimaginably large number"

googleplex = 1 with 100 zeroes behind it

Fun fact: there are only 7,125,000,000 people in the world,

while a googleplex is -huge-, an "unimaginably large" number is going to be vastly larger, but ants are as small as a grain of sand it's manageable.

the googleplex of soldiers do not even need flamethrowers for a fraction of that amount of time due to your rules. you state the ants attack from all directions until one group is dead, aka unrelenting.

All the soldiers need is organization and planning. Create a center of operation and build a circular perimeter of active flame thrower wielding soldiers shoulder to shoulder, enough so that if they all fire at once an entire ring of flame comes out from the circles perimeter. perhaps a few rows of soldiers standing at ready to rotate out as reloads/malfunctions occur etc

create shifts so everyone works evenly and no one gets...burned out (lul!)

the ants will be coming non stop, the first waves will require major focus as they swarm in but the flames will literally instantly kill them where they stand upon contact, leaving nothing but a charged body in its place.

New ants will continue pushing the assault, climbing over this corpse. These ants too will feel the wrath of flame and insta-fry

eventually, you will have a very large mount of dead, roasting ants, multiple feet tall. this will effectively create a defensive wall of living embers the ants have to crawl over to attack - which they are constnatly doing as you stated they will not stop - and the moment they climb ontop, they pop.

this burning will be everlasting, because new fuel (ant bodies) will continuously feed the flames. There would be no way in for the ants to attack.

It would probably only take a few hours to develop enough ant charcoal to be self sustained and the flame throwers could then be stored and never used again.

furthermore, there wouldnt be a good chance of "the mountain of fire gets so big it kills those inside", because the nature of uncontroled flame means it will grow bigger and bigger, until it reaches maximum capacity allowed by its fuel, at which point it will begin to die - unless ur in a situation like this that has a steady fuel source at all times

an example are various natural gas eruptions around the world that have caught fire - they continue to burn until the gas has completely run out, they never grow bigger because theyve reached max size.

eventuallyt he flames here will reach their max potential based on the speed new fuel is added, as we reach that point all that needs to be done is the ant-coal defensive wall needs to be managed and shaped, soldiers can use their empty flamethrowers (metal, so as to not be destroyed and be stuck without required tools) to push and shovel the charcoal around, expanding their territory until they have enough room to create thriving cities and pouplations

it'd be like attack on titans, but with a fire wall and ants, and the defense would naturally grow and shrink to be big enough to control the ongoing attack at all times

>implying absolute destruction is necessary
eventually because of superior intelligect the Marines would discover that they only have to limit the numbers enough. also, how would the resources for this stupid fucking plane to even come about?

The ants would win for the simple reason that the marines would go insane after a while and start killing eachother or an heroing.

You idiots don't realize that ants can dig, and they could just as well tunnel through the charcoal remains of their comrades, as well as climb from above. Not to mention, that if anyone fucks up, and a chink forms on the armor, the marines will have to suffer ant bites for eternity, and die of it since this will create further chinks in the armor due to discomfort of the flame thrower operators.

Supposedly there isn't enough material in the universe to make a pencil that will last long enough to write Graham's number. This is fucking stupid.

the terms and conditions OP applies specifically state they would do a head on unrelenting assault. there will be no sneak tactics from the ants. they wont burrow underground.

in the event that there is a breach in the fire wall, they will have their flamethrowers in reserve and ready to re-build as necessary. thats the beauty of the ant-charcoal wall, it allows the flamethrwoers to not be in use and thus can be used for backup measures.

any decent planning would make the outer charcoal wall large enough to have ample space, and a second teir of defense of flamethrower soldiers standing guard ready to cover any breaches in the odd chance it occurs.

Yo mama is so fat, she weighs 2 Graham numbers

this thread is both a constant cancer and pointless. Cred Forums was never good however it was better than this.
sage goes in all fields Cred Forumstards

newfag detected

this is one of the better threads Cred Forums has had in a long while. i've nearly quit coming here alltogether because nowadays its just filled with trap, cuck, rate my dick, show ur ex, what would you do to me threads

this beats the hell out of the norm

Graham's number is literally incomprehensibly large.

Ants win 10/10

agreed
Cred Forums is turning into an anonymous facebook, and this thread is much needed chemo

well, ants are a high source of protein...

sorry new friend but this thread shows up at least three times a week. OP may only post once a month. The board is full of autists who think they like OP only post this once a month. Since none of these fucks know the other potatoes it is posted constantly.
I do agree on the trap, cucks,bbc threads. Hell I was missing Kat and the Christfag earlier today

so? the ants aren't omnipresent

they still need to find a way past the flamethrowers and user's charcoal wall.

ITT:

Ghrams number is too big, its so big I cant even how big it is. Ants have to win because I literally cant even how big the number is.

Divide graham's number by a googoloplex. Can that one marine take on that amount of ants?
There's your answer

In this context Graham's number is practically infinite. Ants would win by simply suffocating the marines due to their immense numbers.

ants would reproduce infinitely faster than what the marines can kill

ants win

Ant. Ant form tank out of other ants, have you not seen big hero 6? Ant just like that. Ant shoot eachother at marines and enter earholes. Ant take over marine and turn on other marne. See spongebob ep 71 where plankton take spongbov brain. Ant just like that. Ant win because ant smarter than humans, ant allow us to share planet earth with them. Go away with silly question now.

op here neither will win i lied about blackholes

also this is 800th time ive made this thread ill probably change my mind again.

One magma.

it says it isnt in our universe, however physics applies everywhere.. black holes still exist you fucking twat. thats what would happen.

That's an unfathomable number of ants, they can keep coming until the Marines need to sleep and then destroy them

>what is sleeping in shifts
Retard.

bunch of cunts. googolplex 10^10^100.grahams # can't be expressed in a numerical value. ez enough. 404 this shit.

both

It's simply just not possible. The ants would last out because they would just turn into a giant wall of molten ants.

the fuck kinda racist shit is this, asians can kill ants just as well as anyone else you fucking bigot

Do you realize graham's number makes a googleplex look like an atom.