College anons, What tips, advice, can you give to aid the writing process...

College anons, What tips, advice, can you give to aid the writing process. Im Horrible at writing and it takes me hours to write mere two pages.

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=OOB3K6Jd1bE
youtube.com/watch?v=BaCGseKF90I
youtube.com/watch?v=gxq21pJMjrM
youtube.com/watch?v=X6kGg31G0As
twitter.com/SFWRedditVideos

dont forget to write a suicidenote, why are you doing this to yourself ?

spend more time thinking about it instead of being in front of the screen clueless trying to figure out what you're trying to say

This is actually good. And write down quick notes and ideas when you can.

lol, i study CS. i don't write papers.

Yeah its part of being a "lazy" person. Instead of forcing yourself to continue with the work, embrace that you need more time to think about it. Thinking is a very active process, but it needs time.

Don't try to do it all at once
Come up with a general outline first, just bullet points and key ideas. Do that in a separate document or even just by hand on a piece of scratch paper. Lay out the key points and sub-points of each topic you want to cover, and your final conclusion.
Then when you are actually writing do it in stream of consciousness. Just type as fast as you think. Don't stop to correct typos or even worry about proper spelling or grammar. Just hammer it out and get your ideas on paper as they flow from your brain. Come back and correct all the sloppy spelling and grammar later.

That's how I wrote my 100+ page PhD dissertation.

Really? What kind of shit program are you on then?

well if its a reading/vision impediment you are dealing with you can talk to the college to mark your account and most instructors will give you more time/less work.

Use speech to text software. You can write pages in 5 minutes or less with minimal editing

To continue what I was saying

Stopping to worry about word choice, spelling, grammar etc. kills your thinking. Just get all the ideas on paper fast. Refine it later.

You will be amazed how much content you can lay down in 1 hour if you just pound away on the keyboard and get all your ideas down in rough form. It kills your productivity trying to sit there and decide what the perfect word to use is.

I use lots of ellipses (...) to denote where I need to expand the idea further. Get the basic point down in crude form and move on. Come back and make it elegant and well spoken later.

lol, one that doesn't focus on writing fucking papers?

>wait until night before paper is due
>take adderall, smoke marijuana
>sit down with your materials, sources, laptop
>begin planning out what examples you want to use from your material to answer the prompts
>pre-writing while stoned and entering the addy come up gets your brain pumping
>begin writing as soon as you have an idea of where you're headed
>cite as you go (footnotes or w/e)
>continue to smoke whenever you feel yourself come down
>make coffee about 4-5 AM to get you through the last bit of adderall before you crash
>finish at 9-10 am, catch a z or two if possible
>turn that shit in
A's every time fam

chemanon here
i usually hear music whilst learning, mainly to boost my motivation->section1
and some cozy background music->section2
youtube.com/watch?v=OOB3K6Jd1bE
and some hiphop
youtube.com/watch?v=BaCGseKF90I
youtube.com/watch?v=gxq21pJMjrM
youtube.com/watch?v=X6kGg31G0As

research well(ish) and then write things in bursts don't be afraid to start a section and then stop and start another one if you have a good idea. if you do things in stages it helps ive written many papers in one night this way.

what then, web dev and game design?

agreed deff cite as you go bc if you do it all at the end youll forget one and then youll get a zero bc you plagiarized

What did you major in? Sociology?

eh i dont agree with not doing it all at once. ive done some of my best work doing it all in one shot the night before it's due. feels good when it's all done

During my CS degree I published scientific papers, wrote my final year project and a dissertation. It taught me many useful things.

On the other hand I know there's crap courses where they focus on Javascript and frameworks etc. Stuff you could do yourself in a week.

Get an app like endnote, usually free through your university. This will not only let you cite as you go, but it will automatically write the bibliography/references for you. Properly formatted and everything. You even get to choose between many citing styles.

Once you figure out how to use it you will never go back. Endnote works as a plugin for microsoft word so it works as if it is part of the microsoft word software. It becomes part of the menus etc. in word.

You clearly took easy classes that didn't require you to write long papers. Many of the classes I took required papers that were not humanly possible to write in 1 night.

The research alone takes at least 24 hours of reading and note taking before you even start writing.

I think you need to learn basic English. You have random capitalisation in the middle of your sentences, how does that even happen?

For me, writing an essay is like a constant strain of thought. Keep getting ideas down, go back to make them flow, and try to elongate your sentences by word choice. One tip for those essays who need sources, try to make bold yet optimal statements. One time in my junior year of a Catholic high school, I compared Othello to Jesus and got a B with no sources used at all. Kid next to me tried to do it with sources and got a C. Maybe that was a fluke, but it still stuck with me. But that's high school and not college so it may be different.

Im pretty sure hes using a german computer. Alll nouns are automatically recognised and capitalised. Its a pain in the ass. Also there are no apostrophes so we look like total fucking idiots.

I never got to figure out the fluffy essays (maybe I should read some). Scientific essays are basically just very long lists of facts.

>send malware-infested pdf in princeton application
>admissions officer opens
>you use RAT to recommend yourself for admission
>????
>profit?

Inform yourself about the subject first.
Then try to boil it down into key points that you deem most important.
Think about what you actually want to be saying in your paper. Are you arguing for or against something? Are you just reviewing a topic?
The general structure of your essay should be clear before you type the first sentence.
The eassy itself should pretty much be just a final/clean version of your thoughts. Don't just start typing with no idea where you wanna go.

Getting a B on a high school paper doesn't exactly qualify you to be giving advice, man. Shit, those grades wouldn't even get you into college.

Writing is a breeze. Figure out what you want to write, or what you're supposed to write, which topic, how many words, et cetera.

Then flesh it out. It's hard to go wrong with the five-paragraph essay format, or however long it needs to be. Start with a skeleton, bare bones, then flesh out each point.

Write MORE than you need to and then go back and edit out the least meaningful bits. And you're done.

Just build it up one word or one sentence at a time.

get off the internet

>One time in my junior year
>try to elongate your sentences by word choice
You're a fucking joke, dude.

Stop treating it like High School where you have to regurgitate your teacher's opinions and just dump whatever comes to mind onto paper/screen/whatever. You will hit your page limit in no time this way and all the ESL kids will make you look baws in comparison.

no they weren't easy classes im just in a major where im used to writing long as shit lab reports so little 7-8 page papers are nothing and can be written in 5-6 hours. if you're doing a history/English/pol sci paper and it takes you 24 hours to do research you're obviously a little retarded

if what you've written is quality as fuck being a half a page off the page limit doesn't really matter that much. honestly teachers want to see quality not quantity if you go over the page limit and are just babbling the fuck on thats gonna annoy them

yeah that only happens once you do a masters I guess

seriously tho, Bachelors degree without writing a paper? seems weird

Not the guy you were talking to, but he's right.
What the fuck do your lab reports have to do with anything? That's not an essay. You just write down results of experiments and a little context to what you're doing.
An essay on some exotic topic needs a certain amount of prep time. You certainly can't just start typing random shit that comes to mind. Adderal won't magically give you knowledge on some foreign topic.

7-8 pages is a super short paper you dumb fuck. I took plenty of classes that had 15 page minimum papers, and those weren't even the long ones.

8 pages was an average lab report for the science classes I took.

Maybe you should have thought about this before you got knocked up twice by your faggot boyfriend that only keeps you around to hide the fact that he likes getting fucked in the ass