Bdudes. I'm looking at buying a guitar and learning how to play...

Bdudes. I'm looking at buying a guitar and learning how to play. After advice on where to start and what would be better to get, electric or acoustic?

Also recommendations on what to buy, don't want to spend more than 3-400 aud on my first set incase I lose interest.

Other urls found in this thread:

bigmusicshop.com.au/fender-fa-100-w-gig-bag.html
reaper.fm
twitter.com/NSFWRedditGif

Start with a classical guitar

Go to mu

It`s best to go with electric but since your budget is limited (for a good reason) I`d start with acoustic. Classical is ass

Whichever one will get you excited to play as much as possible.

Also start with lighter strings so you're not torturing your fingers holding the frets.

Go to a local music store. Assistants are usually musicians too. Tell him what you need, ask him if he can play something for you so you hear the sound. Definitely buy acoustic first because to play electric you should know how to play acoustic. It's cheaper too since you don't need any AMP. Also don't go after known marks. In this money class it doesn't matter.

Thanks man. I plan on obviously getting a better guitar after a few months if I enjoy it enough to keep learning.

Will do! If I buy an acoustic what strings do they normally come with?

It depends on what kind of music you wanna play.

Heading there tomorrow, just wanted some advice/additional knowledge so I don't look or sound like a potato xD

id definitely go with the $400 end of that. You can get some awesome electric-acoustics, or just electrics for that price. My friend just got an acoustic for $450, good sound, amazing action, and electric settings include a tuner.

Just get the cheapest pos yoy can find on craigs list and take it to a music store for a tune up. Once you kbow you like it then buy yourself one. Some stores also rent then for like twenty bucks a month.

Hey Cred Forumsro, been playing guitar for about 12 years now. It's a great hobby and very satisfying. Well done for deciding you want to get into it.

First you need to decide what kind of music you'd like to play.

If you're only interested in playing the blues/rock/metal/jazz or something like that, you'll want an electric guitar, with an amplifier and a good distortion pedal/effects pedal.

However, it's better to learn on an acoustic guitar. The reason for this is 2-fold. The strings are generally thicker (their "gauge". Thicker strings are harder to play and hurt your fingers more, but sound better generally) and the neck is usually wider (more space to put down your fingers. Disadvantageous if you want to play solos/lead guitar as your fingers have to travel a further distance).

In acoustic guitars there are 2 main types

Steel string acoustic guitar: the standard acoustic guitar you've probably seen a million times

Nylon string Spanish/Classical guitar: The difference here is this one has a wider neck (easier to make complex chord shapes), nylon strings (only have to push very lightly to get a sound of the string, allowing for more dynamics while playing). These guitars are generally used for classical and flamenco guitar.

I recommend you start with acoustic steel string as it's the most versatile instrument of the lot and it'll toughen your fingers up the most too. Get gauge 0.009 (referred to as "9s")

OP here. Thanks guys

One more question, what's the best tool to learn with? Any dvds/youtube/programs I can use? It'll be in spare time so generally have to be at home.

Is it generally easier to move from acoustic to electric?

probably 12s, try them out, but 9s would be easier.

Best way is to go to musical school or find a teacher. If you learn all by yourself you will get bad habits and it will be really bad once you try to play more complex

Also, "action" refers to the distance between the strings and the fret board. The lower the better, as it means you have to push less with your fingers.

Why do you want to play guitar?
What kind of music do you want play?
Do you sing or play another instrument?
How old are you?
Are you an introvert or extrovert?
Some of us must play music to live.
Music can change your life.
See local music store.

Pleb cunt

To get chicks
Nirvana
Just skin flute, and a lot of microphone work
12, and what is this?
on Cred Forums
not me, just a poser
it'll get me pussy, right?
too much work, just answer my questions.

Yes it is easier if you move from acoustic to electric. Your fingers will be tougher and your grip strength will be better too

12s would be very heavy no? I used to play with 11s and that was hard going.

If you buy a guitar OP you'll want to put new strings on it almost straight away too. Ask them to do it in the shop for you (new strings in Ireland cost about 12 euro depending on the brand).

Download a guitar tuner app for your phone (g-strings free on Android is my fav)

12s is pretty standard, 9s or 10s would be light.

Funny man xD

OP here lads.

I'm getting older, just want to chill, learn some new things and the idea of sitting outside in the sunset playing a nice tune is pretty calming.

I'd like to. I just don't have that amount of time :(

Learn drum instead

Ha ha ha

Good luck on your journey

I started off playing smashing pumpkins and led zeppelin and folk in general on an acoustic guitar, then got an electric guitar and went on to playing metallica, jimi hendrix, the blues in general. After that went for more finger picking stuff, and now have finally settled down into classical guitar, as for me finger picking is the most fun.

Bass/guitar/drum/keys/production for 16 years here.

Buy a high quality 2nd hand accoustic from a music store for that budget.

Fender, yamaha, epiphone, michael kelly and ibanez should all be in that budget, all have good quality 2nd hand guitars for a few 100 aus dollars.

Really want you want is a nice guitar for about 500 + aus dollars but thats simply not your budget atm

You dont need to spend 1000+ on a martin or a gibson, but you do pay for what you get.

Learn music theory, lots of scales and chord progressions. Learn different techniques.

Don't be one of those people who just learns to read tabs, and then just plays other people's music without being able to write your own.

not OP, but do you know of any safe/virus free torrent for ableton?

bigmusicshop.com.au/fender-fa-100-w-gig-bag.html

Actually you can get some cheap fenders for

So that's probably what I should look for?

Yeah I've seen some videos on youtube. I do plan on just learning the basics to be able to play "other peoples music" for the timebeing. But I'd love to progress to that point of writing my own one day. that'd be nice.

Acoustic is the best place to start. Alvarez makes a really good guitar at a reasonable price. Their artist series guitars range from 300 to 400.The Takamine G Series are good also.

Dick around and have fun. Push yourself everytime.

Take classes to learn form at the beginning if you need too

Not really i tend to just use old legacy cubase 3 for software midi, all my mixdowns are done on multipul 8 bus digital mixers with hardware effects.

I tend to use 95% hardware.

I would suggest software called reaper though, its free and should do what you need.

reaper.fm

I started on a similar accoustic guitar and

I think its best to start with a classical guitar with nylon strings. Its better to train your finger placement and all with that.

This guy again.

This guy is right too, takemine are another good make of accoustics.

>Its better to train your finger placement and all with that.

Good advice also.

go for cheapest clasical guitar you find... is a good chance to change your mind