So my school blocked skype and a hell of a lot of other social networking apps and sites...

so my school blocked skype and a hell of a lot of other social networking apps and sites. They kept Cred Forums up for some reason, but I need to get on skype

GF recently moved to denmark so talk to her on skype to avoid long distance text fees

any way to use skype?

inb4 - skype sucks
>i know
inb4 - use discord
>blocked here as well

Other urls found in this thread:

pogostick.net/~pnh/ntpasswd/
winscp.net/eng/docs/guide_windows_openssh_server
hassoon3.wordpress.com/2011/08/06/tunneling-skype-through-ssh-using-shellmix/
zarb.org/~gc/html/udp-in-ssh-tunneling.html
twitter.com/SFWRedditGifs

just start up a thread for yourselves on SOC

use your cellular data you fucking dummy

I dont have cellular data

im a poorfag

Disable the GPO which blockes skype and social networks.
???
Profit

i could do that, good idea

They'll probably block Cred Forums soon
they've had it blocked for years until now.

got a link for how to do that

Im a retard

proxy? Vpn? The usual suspects?

How's the 8th grade treating you?

just fine thanks

pogostick.net/~pnh/ntpasswd/

Reset the local admin account.
Create a local user which is not affected by the group policy
???
Profit.

Learn to do shit yourself.

Tell me her name and address, I'll talk to her for you.

Sam is this you? Baby?

its a personal computer, but the network blocks it. Ill figure it out though thanks faggot

niggerjävel

Shit tier IT detected.

What if there's a firewall not related to windows blocking it son?
The last tool to effectively and efficiently block services has got to be GPO.

Besides, you need local admin rights to block GPO's from landing, besides from reading the OP he probably has a bring your own device policy landing on his head meaning there's no domain landing on his computer thus no GPO at work AT ALL.

Fuck you and your kind, just rambling and calling out on our jargon, you have no place among us.

@OP; OpenVPN is a good tool to use but if you have a computer at home with internet access, I suggest you fire up either hyper-v/virtualbox/vmware and get Sophos UTM.

Sophos UTM = an operating system, with a router built in it, within that operating system you can download a vpn client, if you configure the vpn client with your EXTERNAL ip address and fiddle around abit you can setup a neat vpn connection towards your home that circumvents the port protection that your school/uni/hospital has effectively set up.

Just google how to setup the following things:

Hyper OR Virtualbox OR VMware, I recommend hyper-v as it comes out of the box with windows 8/10 (if not, just a feature box that you have to click)

After that, download Sophos utm (it's free), it probably comes as an image, try setting up your virtual machine and fiddle around with the settings abit (you'll learn alot of computer wizz stuff with this) and once you have it kicking and running, take your lap elsewhere and run the vpn client that you can download from the utm, it should set itself up and is really easy to do.

Make sure you leave your computer at home running with sophos utm in the background while doing this for the best result.

Because local accounts aren't passing the firewall...

Read

thank you so much, appreciate it

> I suggest you fire up either hyper-v/virtualbox/vmware and get Sophos UTM.

wouldn't it just be easier to set up SSH on his home computer? and if the firewall has 22 blocked he could just change it to one that is allowed such as 80

Why would anyone wonna move to Denmark? Lived here my whole life and it sucks.

her grandma got cancer, had to movie

hide.me is a free vpn, takes less than 5 minutes to set up.

my gf is studying in Japan. We use viber.

Use ultrasurf

Find a proxy, its easy.
If your really about that life get a TOR usb - its free

SSH is not a tool for rookies, Sophos has a neat UTM which makes it at least usable for the less computer savvy. With SSH you have to have some prompt skills don't you agree?

Has a neat UTM, I meant graphics interface.

Derp

Besides, how would SSH solve any of his problems, SSH is an interface, not a vpn, not a single bit of traffic can be re-routed through SSH, he also needs an underlying service to run the VPN server, I think Sophos UTM is the most easy for computer savvy to install since it tells you what steps you should take very well, whenever you fire it up it tells you to open this ip adress with this port, then you have an interface and the first thing you see is vpn, you tick that and it gives you an option to download an executable from your router web interface which is completely configured, it doesn't require him to to anything complex other than to install it and figure out what his external adress is, since hyper-v usually makes a private network in your next next finish setup with a dhcp client on it, utm will run it's vpn literally out of the box for him, the only thing which he needs to figure out is to what ports he should forward to the ip adress of his sophos utm which COULD be complex, but there we have portforward.com no?

i am assuming OP is using windows, if so he could just follow winscp.net/eng/docs/guide_windows_openssh_server which is very simple, if he could set up a VM he could install openssh.

read How will winSCP help him get skype running, or SSH, SSH is not the service your are looking for, there's probably a third party dpi running or just plain blocked ports (only ports 80 and 443 are allowed to outside interface which should be enough to browse the web.)

running a SSH server on port 80 on the world wide web is like going to the gay bar pulling your anus wide open which a sign that says "Enter here" while hoping that nobody rapes your anus, do not ever put a SSH server on the public web because your computer WILL get anally raped.

>SSH is an interface

SSH is a protocol

>not a single bit of traffic can be re-routed through SSH

never heard of an SSH tunnel?

>do not ever put a SSH server on the public web because your computer WILL get anally raped.

kek, not true. someone might try to bruteforce it but if you aren't stupid it is still secure.

you can change what port skype uses
options -> advanced -> connection

winfag "professional" detected.

Wat? You're talking about other people being IT retards, but you seem to be one yourself. Why would he use vmware/vbox/hyperv? That's just more overhead you're not using. Also, why the fuck sophos utm? Just go for a plain debian jessie box.

Also, openvpn client will not work properly without administrator rights because it can't set or change routes. So if you're an unprivileged user, you might need to consider other options.

You obviously haven't been in IT for very long. Although for skyping, creating an SSH tunnel would be practically impossible, you can very well route traffic through an SSH tunnel. Why would you install a complete VM that's dedicated to being a multi-purpose network device? You only need openvpn on a computer and optionally set a route globally on your router if you'd need that. You should be ashamed of yourself for laughing at other people whilst being laughed at yourself.

>Although for skyping, creating an SSH tunnel would be practically impossible

hassoon3.wordpress.com/2011/08/06/tunneling-skype-through-ssh-using-shellmix/

Fuck you and your bullshit. Why would this rape my pc if I have fail2ban filters and no password authentication?

Use WhatsApp

>This
Or use Wechat. Fix'd.

Use a different port. IIRC Skype can use port 80

Excuse me, I should've mentioned "Not a single bit of traffic can be re-routed through SSH which would mean that his question would be solved"

Then mention SSH tunneling instead of just plain SSH, you were right for correcting me on the interface, I was meant to type out protocol and had considered SSH tunneling to be impractical for his use and too complex for a kid to install.

Overhead?
Come on, it's probably a home computer where hobby like projects should be permitted, it's not like he's paying extra costs for this setup and he will definitly learn a thing or two, OpenVPN requires you to create a new account after 100MB, Sophos UTM requires nothing and is far more easy to implement if anything.

If both (or if you're the same person) would've read the entire thread more carefully you would've known he's had admin rights since he brought his own device, if there's anyone laughing right now it's me because I took everything into consideration long before you jumped to the conclusion that I am shit tier IT.

My motivation for this entire explanation:

- Fun to set up, kid will probably learn a thing or two
- Not harmful, worst that could happen is that his UTM gets hacked within a VM, boo hoo.
- Has a next, next finish setup whereas setting up SSH tunneling requires bash skills and a more specific set of googling skills.
- He doesn't need to fiddle with any routing at all, nowhere, utm picks the correct gateway and will provide the configured vpn tunnel through it's setup.

The only complex step he has to make where I see most people fail is to forward ports, but setting up UTM probably gets him to look at his "default gateway" thus probably covering that as well.

Up yours. ;)

That's not exactly what I meant with a public ssh server, you took your security measures, good job.

whos you gf? i also recently moved to denmark pics n source on her location for dubs

Just use a messenger app on your phone. Do you seriously only have an Internet connection available to you while at school? Talk to her when you're home. Damn.

>whereas setting up SSH tunneling requires bash skills

no it doesn't, did you even read ? i assume you didn't because you said "How will winSCP help him get skype running"

links to step by step instructions on how to install Openssh, it doesn't require any knowledge other than how to download something and run it and copy+paste commands.

imo.im

Then my sincere apologies for jumping to conclusions myself, last time I used SSH tunneling goes way back for me and that was much more complex than the guide you've just referred me to, I only ever use SSH to talk to my linux/pi's/network stuff at home, got my head stuck way too deep in this windows shit,
DirectAccess is amazing, last time I had to manually setup a vpn is years ago for me.

I'll go have a look and set it up myself, I've never fiddled around with OpenSSH, SCP usually just use for files.

I suggest you google on 'why is an ssh tunnel not viable for voip'

I was not talking about the commercial variant of openvpn, but the opensource edition. There are guides to show you how to set one up, literally step by step.

I haven't been reading the entire thread no, but the ovpn administrator warning applies anyway. People always tend to forget starting it in administrator mode.

- Sure, the sophos vm might be fun, but you'll learn less than doing in from scratch (but hey, that's the same thing as learning in a windows vs *nix environment). Ever wondered why Windows IT personnel isn't taken serious?

- Not harmful, sure, but openvpn on your machine is also harmless.

- next, next finish is a bad idea, two sentences above here is the why.

- he doesn't need to fiddle with routing, except for openvpn itself, but the same applies to any non-policy-based tunnel.

Dude check to see if they blocked WhatsApp

I don't know but in the past the next next finish stuff got me interested in manually setting up stuff more later by exploring the other options, I was trying to motivate him in that manner indirectly.

The problem there is that you get satisfied by only knowing what you're clicking. If you need to write a config from scratch, you get in touch with many more features. Even if you're not going to use them, you know of their existence at least. Something a point-and-click wizard doesn't show you.

>I suggest you google on 'why is an ssh tunnel not viable for voip'

everything i see from searching that is talking about SIP and VOIP, SIP runs on UDP which is why it says it won't work. Skype makes some UDP connections but you can tunnel UDP through SSH zarb.org/~gc/html/udp-in-ssh-tunneling.html

Ultimately skype is just like SIP. It transports RTP packets and every network guy can confirm this being a fucking hell in a normal network. I'm not saying it won't work, but I do believe that there will be a lot of shit. Interesting case tho, will try to do, but without the crappy scammy service.

Let me correct myself; sip/rtp is shitty behind NAT

Get a fucking VPN

Google: open source online alternatives to skype

Use a proxy

Use incognito dumbass