I went to the gym for the first time ever today and realized I had no idea what to do at a gym...

I went to the gym for the first time ever today and realized I had no idea what to do at a gym, so I ran on a treadmill for an hour

What is a good 'plan' for an absolute beginner?

Other urls found in this thread:

dumbbell-exercises.com/index.html
twitter.com/NSFWRedditGif

Lift

How much for how long?

Also, what is your goal? Running is best to lose weight, by far. If you want gains you lift. Poke a dude wearing a shirt with the gym's logo and have him make you a plan

Taking that bullshit somewhere else is step 1. Step 2, kys

/fit/

Try to find someone who knows about that shit, otherwise you are just gonna break yourself.

Well, where are we starting from? And where do you want to go?

>Running is best to lose weight
>Not swimming

aren't gyms supposed to have a guy that gives you instructions or something like that?

Hire a trainer (a good one) for a month or two to teach you what to do and not look like a gay and faggot

ask staff if they ahve any trainers staffed.
theyll help you out.

theyre gonna be dickheads and piss you off but thats what theyre supposed to do. it teaches you to not be a bitch and get your work out done.

if they have no trainers then cancel your membership and find a gym that does.

get schwarzenegger's encyclopedia of bodybuilding and study it like a bible

I dont really have a goal, i just want to stay healthy

if you pay them

back and bi's
chest and tri's
legs every day

low and slow, concentrate on perfect form

Most people can't achieve the same level of cardio intensity with swimming, whereas with jogging it's feasible for just about everyone

what you wanna do is pick up and push heavy metal objects

like a bible, i said

Do this, otherwise you'll end up injuring yourself

underrated post

starting strength

read the /fit/ stickie 1xf

Well, height/weight/build?

Youtube has everything you need

do this, if you're a bitch

Srs answer:

It depends on what you want to get out of the gym.

Are you looking to lose weight?

Focus mostly on cardio, diet, and a little bit of strength training. If you work-out 3-4 days a week make sure you do cardio all of those days, and then maybe some extra time doing lifts and weights every other day you're at the gym.

So

Day 1: Cardio
Day 2: Cardio+weights
Day 3: Cardio
Day 4: Cardio+weights

If you go any extra days just keep up the schedule and just start back at day 1 and keep going.

If you're looking to get beefy then you need to do a little bit of cardio (to stimulate general tightness in the skin) but almost entirely focus on weights and strength training.

StrongLifts 5x5.

squat, benchpress, and deadlift
watch videos for tips on form and technique, and use starting strength as your routine.

once you get a solid strength foundation, you can start adding accessories, like pull ups, dips, etc.

Literally this OP. Emphasis on perfect form. Learn the 3 core lifts. Bench, Squats, and Deadlilft.

If you have time Mark Ripptoe's Starting Strength is everything you need to know about form.

If not youtube that shit.

It's a university gym, so there's no real staff, only equipment, and i don't have the money to hire someone

5'11" 170lbs muscular-ish

>absolute beginner

>ran for AN HOUR

No one going to call out this bullshit claim? Seriously?

Not everyone is a fat fuck like you pal.

This seems to make sense

This is only, like strength training, right?

separate the days you go into different muscle groups. i go every other day and here's my cycle:

day 1: arms, core
day 2: chest, back
day 3: shoulders, legs
repeat

use the google to look up different workouts you can do to hit each of those muscle groups. find 4 or 5 for each muscle group that you like and try them out, and figure out a weight that works for you. you'll want to stick mainly to 3 sets of 10 reps, with a minute or so breather between sets.

don't worry about looking big or using lots of weight (especially at first), figure out proper form before everything. if your form is shit, you'll a) hurt yourself, b) not hit the right muscles. lift very low weights until you figure out your form and teach yourself muscle memory, then start upping the weight until you feel a good burn and stay there until you feel like you can finish the sets easily.

oh, and i forgot cardio. i do about 10 or 15 minutes of cardio before every work out, to get my heart pumping. if you don't have a proper warm-up it's bad to shock your body into the stress of lifting (and cardio is good for you anyway, but fuck i hate doing it)

Just lift weights that you can work with, if you want to become buff and get a shit ton of pussy, follow this cycle everyday:

1) upper body
2) abs and shit
3) lower body

just get a gym member ship and follow that cycle, go to the gym everyday, and do one of those each day, cause muscles usually take around 48 hours to recover after a work out

1. Ten minutes of cardio.
2. Lift. If you're going every day, work a diff muscle group. Legs one day, upper body the next. If not going every day, you can work out everything. But you need to have a recovery day or two or you won't even see gains.
3. Cardio again for 10 minutes.

That's it, do it at least a couple times of a week and it should make a huge difference, every other day and you should be a beast, every day and you should be the Incredible Hulk in a couple years.

dumbbell-exercises.com/index.html

DB = Life

isn't this a topic for /fit/ ?

This makes sense to me. I think I'll do this

Probably

you'll get berated off the board for a thread like this

Yeah man, thought you were fat. Just do whatever you want 3-4 times a week or however often you can fit in your schedule. Eat enough calories and get enough sleep, too, I wiffed that hard in college and felt sick/over-stressed often.

First things first
Second
Don't go to the gym since it's a waste of time and money right now
Third
Get your target heart rate
Make sure you don't go over your 100%
220 - your age = 100% heart rate reserve
Go over this number to kys
Your number Multiply it by .6 (60%) = Low Fat Burning Zone.
Your number Multiply it by .75 (75%) = High Fat Burning Zone
You want to be between these two numbers when running for maximum fat burning.

This is the stage my fat ass is currently at
so I wouldn't be of any help from this point on
so visit /fit/ for more info. I just know that I'm
not ready to do other exercises yet.

Remember also that what works for others may not work for you. Just find what works for you. I'm try to get lean first before I start sculpting/toning.

Fucking GOMAD, squats and oats, rippletits starting strength, kys etc

this chick is in my class

Never been to the gym, but this is how I see most people do it
>1 drink preworkout
>2 show up at the gym
>3 take selfies
>4 run on the treadmill
>5 sit in the sauna until you're sweaty
>6 more selfies

Can't believe no one put this up.

literally the easiest routine doesn't even involve a gym

>9gag
>bait

As a former swimmer, no. Swimming is not fantastic to lose weight with as a beginner.

Gomad is for underweight dudes trying to put on mass.... Last thing a fatass needs is a gallon of whole milk a day, though it would be better than binging on candy and soda.

And oats aren't good for me. They fucking lock up my digestion so bad, I'm guaranteed not to shit for 5 days, a miserable sensation.

Go up the nearest jacked guy, look at him, then drink bleach because you'll never look like him

>go to /fit/
>read the fucking sticky

you can low intensity cardio around the block
at the gym you want to put on some muscle
or possibly HIIT on the rower or even treadmill

1. form. good form. excellent form. SO FUCKING IMPORTANT.
2. then work to heavier slowly (e.g. adding 2.5kg each time you do the fucking exercise) with medium sized reps (5-8). eventually you might go to 3 for heaviest but u r not beefcake yet

eat a cock and suck a wheat bix

Most advice i read here in this thread is BS.
I dont care enough to respond to every single one of those posts.
But split routines are shit.

Just go to /fit/, read the sticky and onlybmake a new thread if you still didnt understand something, otherwise people will only refer the sticky to you.

Holy shit Cred Forums is terrible at lifting advice.

Get a fitness girl like pic related. Motivates you and gives you more energy at the gym, and you get to see her bending over in yoga pants and shit.

I just came here from /fit/

Read the Sticky.

oldsticky is better than newsticky