Do you cover your laptop camera when you're not using it?

Do you cover your laptop camera when you're not using it?
What is your opinion?

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=nvYPCNCGEK8
twitter.com/NSFWRedditImage

leme guess u just dl darkC or jrat or some bulshit cybergate shit and now u wana discuss it cuz u think ur l33t cuz u can see through ppls webcams

fuck off no1 cares kys cunt

yes i do
and you should too

Zozzle

My work laptop, I do. I know my it guys have authority to look through then when or security software detects issues or us going to bad sites. But then again my company is tight on security.

No i do not.
I trust my Arch linux.

I don't have a cammera, phone, mail or social networks accounts. Up your game if you are going to be a tin foil hat man.

my camera is fucked anyway so is my microphone so idgaf

fuckin lold
linux has exploits just like windows. just takes one look at a darknet forum selling sploits to understand this.

i take my laptop apart and physically remove the camera and microphone. then again i am paranoid.

OP here.
I have a laptop, not for work, but personal use and I usually use it at home and I never covered the camera.
I just find it pathietic when average, and least important people care so much about people peeping their boring life secretly.

No. Cant even masturbate if I dont assume someone's watching

>leme guess u just dl darkC or jrat or some bulshit cybergate shit and now u wana discuss it cuz u think ur l33t cuz u can see through ppls webcams

haha gottem

if i were the nosy type i could so easily get malware on your system if i knew you IRL, if i had physical access to your laptop long enough to plug in a USB drive and you ran windows it would be a sure thing.
i could spy on literally anyone i know if i wanted to. shits not hard. you can fucking google how to do it.

if you get into fake towers you can do it with cell phones too.

>linux has exploits just like windows
Yeah whatever.
My PC is not a huge server with a loads of personal data. It is a not so good target for anyone willing to collect such data.
Also those exploits are much harder to use.
Also what are you doing here if you are paranoid?

security through obscurity is fucking poor opsec.
>Also what are you doing here if you are paranoid?
i keep my sketchy activites on another machine. this is my kosher rig.
pic related, im running arch too. been running arch for 7 years.

I just keep it disabled and the laptop lid is closed all the time anyway, so I don't care.
About the privacy thing, I wouldn't like to find on the internet films of myself doing the stuff that I do in front of the laptop.

It might seem like we are not important enough to be spied on, but we all know a guy who can do this shit and probably would if he gets the chance.

Nope, if they see me fapping it's their own goddamn fault.

Well, of coure it's easy if you're in my home, sitting at my laptop with me just watching you doing it. But my point is, why would you spy on me? Doing school stuff, gaming and jerking my weiner sometimes? Literally nobody cares.

Do you actually have nothing better to do with your time?

no because my tinfoil hat blocks the light waves.
also my internet is soo slow that any intruder would just see a single still frame of me for half an hour.

>it's easy if you're in my home,
no its easy if i send you an email or FB post with a flash/pdf/other formats if you care to do the research on obscure sploits or if you care enough to just buy one. thats all it takes.
or because of the way windows mounts filesystems i could put malware in the USB firmware and infect your computer simply by pluggin the USB drive in for a few seconds and unplugging it and walking away.

dude you have no clue how fucked you are if a hacker wants in. its unbelievable.

i dont spy on people, im this guy i have a lot of background in programming and OS dev shit. my black hat knowledge comes from my IT experience not actual hacking.

You are completely right, but these people are faggots. They don't need a reason. Also, I would really worry if I were a girl. Girls will usually cover the cameras. I remember a few years ago when videos recorded form laptops surfaced on mless. So if I had a daughter, the cam would be disabled and covered.

this doesn't even mention os sploits then all i would need is your ip address or probably just a list of ISP in your city and I could social engineer the rest.
every computer not air gapped is a security nightmare.

I'm not using a laptop, problem solved.

No. They'd just see some black guy staring at the screen, playing a game, or having a nervous breakdown.

After watching people fuck on their "private" webcams right here on Cred Forums, yes

Would actually love to learn to do this. I have some super hot chicks in mind.

Good luck making it into the subnet to actually capitalize on an exploit. UPnP helps establish a vector, sometimes, but usually requires them being loaded with malware prior... Or leaving ports forwarded.

>he doesn't know that the pixels of all monitors bought from 2006 and up act as backdoor hidden camera.

if you can read this sentence through your monitor, they can see you back.

government official here

How is life as a tin foil hat man, user?

The NSA would fucking love you! You should send in your app.

These are different kinds of cams, or computer cams setup to be accessed via Web.

router security is laughable. default logins. telnet enabled. oh my god the shit i have seen.

Yeah, but if those are accessible It wouldn't be hard to believe they could do it to a normal webcam. Can just uncover it when you need to use it anyway. Literally no downside to covering it.

>if you can read this sentence through your monitor, they can see you back.
no worries, i read the text ON the screen, not through it.

Yeah, but those are idiots. If you secure your shit, and know not to click random links, my etc, then you don't *really* have to worry about your webcam.

Update software regularly, use unique passwords for all important shit and over 100-bit, don't pirate software, or if you do, know what to do to make sure it's safe, monitor your net traffic, etc etc. Just a typical day for me.

I even cover my smartphone's front camera with black nail polish.

Normal cams aren't broadcasting to an open port. Need malware to setup remote desktop, or rootkit for all purpose spying. Some webcam software can be exploited, but generally only if broadcasting past DMZ.

>If you secure your shit
yeah with what? DDWRT? sploits.
nah if you have someone smart after your system your fucked. ask HP ask sony ask the fucking NSA/military who admitted to being hacked at least twice now.

but your right, no one cares enough to try that hard and few people know enough to anyway. im still going to remove the cameras from my shit though.

Bwahaha! The classic precaution method. I cringed a bit.

no but this was a decent movie.

youtube.com/watch?v=nvYPCNCGEK8

(a major plot element is that our "hero"s camera is hacked in the beginning)

Does it not work ?

Given everything that has been leaked, how all the tech companies are in bed with the democratic party and how ISIS is the excuse to do pretty much anything our government wants.

Yes, there are also a lot of other things you should do like disable wifi when you go out (since they can use mobile free wifi points to track you when you are out at a later date).

Pretty good for the most part. On the pros side I have a shitload of free time, I meet a lot of people since it's hard to keep in contact with acquaintances and I live a pretty active lifestyle due to not using phones.
The only cons are the pop ins of friends unable to reach me. And getting laid is pretty hard, either I go straight for meeting someone to fucking or I give them a: Let's meet again at designated spot at 7pm on thursday.

The thing that makes me laugh about people who do this is that most of them have facebook accounts.

I have my suspicions but it's very challenging to disable webcam lights. The only people who could disable every webcam light available are very high-end hackers and government security firms. Any skiddie can use a RAT and disable some cam lights for known vendors, but it doesn't always work. If, on the off chance you do get hacked, you will see the light notification, unless as stated before you got hacked by the NSA. In which case I'd be more concerned about what the fuck they want with you than anything else.

It's basically a cave man solution if your devices hacked. Not like it can unhacked your device or some shit. Stupid as fuck, whoever used this method. Buy a new one or get whatever nasty craps in it removed so people can stop watching them from their webcam/camera.

>people arguing over if webcam are secured etc.. etc... etc...
>put a little piece of tape on cam
>litterally 2 seconds
>problem solved even if no problem whatever it's just tape fuck off

The problem for them lies in how many people there are. Way too many angles of attack. I'm on a VPN 100% of the time, use a unique password for everything (randomly generated) and max bits allowed, secured router with custom firmware, update my OSs, never let people I don't trust use my stuff, run a sandbox in Windows and VMs for certain scenarios, use two factor where possible, blah blah blah.

I'm sure there's a way, but it'd be pretty damn hard.

" very high-end hackers" are just programmers with system knowledge.
i could write a kernel driver for your webcam light in under an hour for the microkernel linux OS I have running in 200MB of your spare ram that saves itself outside of the partition table of your harddrive before the computer shuts off and every now and then just to be sure. there are sploits normies really cant even imagine.

fuck off if you don't think i can turn it off.

dont kid yourself, your computer is unsecure as fuck to someone who knows their shit.

yeah i feel ya, your good against the 99%. being good against 100% just isn't possible unless your running DOS on something ancient or something stupid like that.

You wouldn't need a rootkit to disable a webcam light. And if it takes you an hour to code something as basic as disabling a few memory addresses I feel bad for you. My point being, no one gives a fuck about people like you; simpletons that have shit-tier tech knowledge aren't targets for snooping on people's webcams. You're mainly used in botnet operations. My point being if someone has enough tech knowledge to hack 1000s of people, they're not going to look through each and every one of their webcams. They don't care.

my cam lights up when active so no

>not like....unhacked

Well no of course not. But we're not talking about your average malware or some piss-nosed 12 year old h4xin your system.

I think most of us are more concerned with what the NSA has and is developing where they basically push a button and it's on.

So the caveman method is effective in at least one respect: they won't be able to stare at our ugly mugs as we cruise Cred Forums for traps

>Nope, if they see me fapping it's their own goddamn fault.
This

If it's implemented in the driver, it doesn't matter.

This

But I disagree with it being so simple to patch memory addresses. Sure, the code for that is easy, but loading up ADA, etc and finding what to patch is time consuming.

If your shit is compromised, I wouldn't be worried about my fucking webcam. I'd be worried someone can possibly see everything you do, everything you type.

>rootkit
what kind of scriptkiddy bullshit are you blathering about?
if im going to pwn you its gunna be with my own code.

No, it doesn't. It lights up when it's being accessed normally. There's not some sort of switch that prevents your camera from being accessed when that light is not on.

Surf Cred Forums on our grandma desktop then....

I dont care. I want them to see me fap.

"Rootkit is an application (or set of applications), that hides its presence or presence of another application (virus, spyware, etc.) on the computer, using some of the lower layers of the operating system (API function redirection, using of undocumented OS functions, etc.), which makes them almost undetectable by common anti-malware software."

This is literally exactly what you said you would do. And it would be a shit one at that, seeing as I know exactly which partitions I have and what they're for.

then ill hide my shit in your bad sectors, you keep tabs on those, right?
oh you do? ill start looking into hardware level memory then. hope your hardware isn't name brand. shit gets too easy.

Poor bait.

Just the way you talk I can tell you're bluff. Go watch more Mr. Robot.

kek

you idiots need to start watching defcon shit. hiding in bad sectors and in hardware ROM is real world shit.
but you know what, fuck that fancy shit. ill just inject my code into some random windows dll that gets loaded on boot.

yall need to keep up with the times.

>then ill hide my shit in your bad sectors

if you get to ring0 you don't have to worry about hiding it from antivirus.

> start watching defcon shit

that explains it, just a defcon kiddy

You need to try harder. Show me 5 lines of your 1337 code mr.hackerman.

How do the new thread filters work? I used to have 50 filters but hiroshimoot seems to have changed the system and now they are just gone.

Idk which faggots would wanna watch me 24/7 so no I don't hide it.
Don't have an antivirus either, only windows defender. I'm so wild!!

dont need ring0 to write to boot sector to load my code. just need admin. god knows thats not hard to get on windows.

>defcon kiddy
oh sorry am i not impressing you enough? fuck off.

like i said, i dont blackhat. im just a coder into OS dev and a little security.

Next you're going to tell me all about how you can be hacked by the sound you processor makes and that you need a faraday cage. I watch Defcon... Among other things.

Shit is not fucking easy, and is definitely not real world. Bugged machines with hardware level backdoors being intercepted during shipment or from vendors, sure. But over the net for plebs? No. And the exploits that exist for purchase, usually by a team, are thousands of dollars, and almost always take a good bit of work to get instantiated.

But if someone hacks your webcam, the fucking light comes on...

You goddamn idiots.

/thread

Then show us 5-10 lines of some code you've done. Explain what it does and what each line does. Then we will consider maybe thinking you're an 1337 faggot

I dont ( webcam on PC ) and I dont care either.Some If somone wants to watch me playing,drinking,crying go right ahead.

>oh sorry am i not impressing you enough?

no i am very impressed that someone can watch a few defcon videos and think that they have real world experience

>fucking light comes on
hell no. The light is not necessarily physically connected via direct circuit. If I turn on the powersaving mode on my laptop the webcam light stays off even when itself is on

yes and no, it can be disabled trust me.

This x1000
>inb4 but i use ultrasoft camsecwaredefcon5 antimalware and i disconnect my webcam and hide it in a suitcase under my house

If someone is watching, the light turns on.

How stupid is Cred Forums?

>Next you're going to tell me all about how you can be hacked by the sound you processor makes and that you need a faraday cage. I watch Defcon... Among other things.
im hacking your CPU via radio leakage picked up through your house wiring by your insecure router atm. prepare for pwnz.

im providing examples not saying that i would attempt them or be successful you nit.

dont believe me then, i dont care. all this info is public domain.

you look like an ass when you assume.

I just cut the wires to the camera when I'm not using it and then resolder when I want to use it.

>you look like an ass when you assume.
fucking up a quote this hard

wewee mama

Just turn off the driver, holy shit.

>lets just turn off something that the attacker can simply turn back on, that will fix it.

hey pal, you can go fuck yourself
have a nice day :^)

>this thread
>cringe
Pick two.