How was one supposed to understand what happened to Obi-Wan in this scene? He just disappears...

How was one supposed to understand what happened to Obi-Wan in this scene? He just disappears, with no prior explanation that Force-sensitives can become "one with the Force" upon their death.

It was established that Obi had various Force powers, so it seems to me that a more logical conclusion would be that he teleported away. Instead, everyone (both the characters and the audience) that he died, but frankly, I think it wasn't obvious at all.

It was a new, unexplored and unexplained fictional universe. Hell, even Luke, who actually lived his life there, had no previous knowledge that would make him believe Obi died there.

Please explain. I don't feel like I'm being stupid here. Am I?

I don't think you were supposed to get it instantly I think it's more or less given later

You don't have to understand what happens straight away in a fight scene twat, ever watched any decent anime and a dude does some shit and like 40 episodes later its like (that was so and so wanna learn that shit?)

First, that's just amateur story-telling. You're basically distracting the audience from your movie by having them wonder that the hell just happened.

Second, nobody in the first movie has the knowledge to actually confirm it. The entire cast just decides to go with the assumption that Obi died.

>ever watched any decent anime and a dude does some shit and like 40 episodes later its like (that was so and so wanna learn that shit?)
No, and I'm not entirely sure if I get what you're trying to say.

It's Jeremy Corbyn with a light saber.

>thats just amateur storytelling
Yeah, so? Who said Lucas was a master storyteller?

People who claim that the entire OT is the second coming of Christ sort of imply it.

And how the fuck is this supposed to make sense if you're watching the movies in their release order?

Stupid cunt Lucas.

Do you really need everything spoon-fed to you? Surely a degree of ambiguity adds to the intrigue and encourages the audience to actually develop their own thoughts and ideas. Don't forget that Luke is the protagonist and we as the audience learn through his experiences.

That doesn't mean they're right. People make mistakes. Look at the whole parsecs argument for example. If it doesn't make sense to you initially, invent a way for it to make sense. Fuck it.

I thought for the longest time that people just disappeared when they were touched with a lightsaber, but I also wasn't able to watch the other 2 movies for a long time either. So the scene where Luke gets his hand cut off, when I was finally able to see the second movie, confused the shit out of me.

It's not about spoon-feeding, it's about making logical assumptions and not expecting viewers to hand-wave one of the most critical scenes of the movie. You can't show something with no actual basis for understanding, and then get angry at people for not getting it. Sure, the characters decide to believe it, and the viewer can follow suite, but that's a cheap cop out, and like I said, it's not something trivial (like the parsecs argument mentioned), it's a critical scene.

this series is fucking stupid

you are fucking dumb to be even pondering scenes in this franchise

and to answer your dumbass question, its all about the music in movies
they make all the difference in scenes
the music that played in that scene was tragic
so its easy to infer that he died

Sometimes sad music plays when you're just supposed to think something sad happened.

I never had an issue with the scene. It showed that the force was something outside of our understanding. A little green goblin managed to move a space craft out of a swamp with his mind. I didn't need an explanation of how he achieved this. Explanations leads to things like midiclorians and bullshit like that. I much prefer the ambiguity. Not angry, just making you look at it from a different perspective. I like the fact Luke is distraught and Han is trying to get the hell out of there. Pretty sure Obi-Wan then starts speaking to Luke so we assume he martyred himself to guide and be with Luke. Don't forget, Obi-Wan is a high level wizard

hur dur no shit

how autistic are you
?

if it was supposed to be ambiguous they wouldve chosen a different way of portraying those moments

believe it or not there are rules to story telling in movies

and lucas was part of a wave of directors called "new hollywood"

these were the guys that studied all the greats and mediocre directors of the past during the 60s

these were the first real generation of directors who came out of film school

so they knew the rules of the way you tell a coherent story

and george lucas was just applying the classic story telling rules that he learned in school to tell a far out story

im not going to go as far out to say he is a great visionary
no
hes just a guy who knew how to tell a story through film and captured the minds of children and autists who dont know any better
hes a swindler and a hack at best but he knows what he was doing in a technical sense

Green little goblin only appeared in the sequel, and he actually explained a lot of about the Force, so his trick was hardly a surprise in itself. And Obi talking to Luke telepathically could also mean that Obi is just far away.

I also enjoy the fact that all of them are facing completely different directions. The fact that Anakin is facing directly towards the camera is absolutely disgusting. It's like they shot that scene in one take without any consideration of how it would look cropped in.

This is part of my problem with the Star Wars universe. The audience is given very little explanation as to how shit actually works.

yoda is looking at obi wan because he had just put his hand on his shoulder

So this is how you'd like it to have gone down?

>only guy ITT that actually knows anything about film

Fellow Cred Forums browser i see?

Samefag

a) have Luke meet someone with an understanding of Force on the rebel base and have it explained to him and the audience
b) have Obi's ghost appear to Luke and explain what happened
c) not kill Obi at all and in the end of the movie, have him enter the medal-awarding ceremony to everyone's surprise and happiness

it was supposed to be weird and mystical and clash with the setting and invoke a mysterious past, not some bullshit with established rules etc

same as his dialogue with vader, just hint at a bigger world Luke is getting into. There wasn't really a established lore there.

It makes you wonder and want to know more and feels cool, but there wasn't any certainty there'd be more movies. Its ending could really be the end if there wasnt a sequel and it'd work

omg
laughed so hard at this

a) lame and unnecessarily fat on the movie, would break the flow of their objective as a planet is going to be beamed to death. The hermit wizard is the only person with an understanding as Jedi are a dying breed. The is a bigger conflict within the movie, far outweighing Luke's introduction to the force at this stage.

b) lame again for same reason that it would break the feeling of tension. It is a time-sensitive mission, no time for force lessons from a ghost

c) cliched and gay, Obi-Wan's 'death' is important in Luke's character arc

why do you need an explanation?

it's just a mystical and infantile way to say he's gone but not truly gone (he and the force will always be with Luke etc - the voice at the end wasn't supposed to be "JEDIS CAN COME BACK AS BLUE GHOSTS IF THEY TRAINED IN ZEN-BLUMPFERKNOT AND ARE LEVEL 20", it's more metaphorical and using film tropes)