So I've recently been told I am likely to have depression and anxiety disorders and I have no doubt it is true...

So I've recently been told I am likely to have depression and anxiety disorders and I have no doubt it is true. Waiting on the doc to call me in again, most likely tomorrow. Just wondering do any of you have personal experiences with long/short term use of depression/anxiety meds? (Please tell how long you have been using these drugs and how they have helped or worsened the issue)

shameless self bump

What a trooper.

Well this thread is kill quick.

All I can report is that dad had a mental breakdown and took depression meds for a few years and became a normal person again.

So I imagine they do help some people. Goodluck OP

Different people react differently to all kinds of anti-depressants. Whatever you get put on first just make sure you take it regularly because once you've been on it for a while and you miss a day it hits like a train.

Iv'e been on antidepressants for about a year, went for dysfunctional to fully functional in 3 months.

Don't give up if none of them seem to work. It took me years of trial and error before finding one that allowed me to function normally. Also make sure you give them enough time like a few months (unless you're having severe side-effects obviously) because the change is not immediate.

user, are you sure you saw a doctor? Could you be imagining it?

cont

Im diagnosed with bipolar typ 2, before i started taking my meds i was constantly depressed and apathetic, some days i struggled just to get out of bed, now i feel as close to "normal" that i could hope for, i still have anxiety attacks tho.

Currently on 150MG antidepressants and they do help me, I just feel like a zombie all the time and constantly tired. plenty of side effects such as insomnia and constipation along with headaches, been on these tablets for about 7 months but recently had my dosed bumped up higher.

Same here, tried like 9 different Anti depressants before i found something that worked for me.

Do you feel dependant on the meds? What about tolerance level? That's what I am worried about. I'll end up doubling dosages just do be mildly depressed because if I skip a single dose I'll get massive depressed and kill myself. Is this a valid fear?

oh adding to my post, they have made my anxiety a lot worse tho. I got diagnosed with Generalised anxiety disorder along with severe depression, currently seeing a psychologist

Thanks guys appreciate it

I was on some anti depressants for a few months. 50mg sertraline I think. Honestly it's weird how your perspective of things change when on it, it was kinda nice but I had to get off them because they made me sleep 12+ hours a day and I was always really slow and I couldn't think/react quickly. I wouldn't get on them again but I was definitely happy I tried them. I've always been a drug enthusiast so that might be why I feel that way about it.

This
And this are what scares me

Long term depression fag here. Suffered it since age 12, 27 now. Tried a few anti-depression meds but nothing really seemed to work. Best coping method I found was to be around people who care. Sadly, last of my family, my mum died at the beginning of the year and friends are all moving on, having kids or whatever. Got the doctors today in a few hours but there is no clear cut fix for it. You;re either strong enough to survive it or it ruins you.

See I don't even have so much as a cough drop or a headache pill if I need it because I usually don't like drugs, but since the depression has got bad, all I want is to be out of my body in any way possible so I don't think this will be so bad, but I'm worried about addiction or becoming dependant or something.

I literally can't function without them so im pretty dependant. My meds only have 2 doses and im taking the highest dose atm.
If i skip my meds for 3-5 days i get withdrawal comparable to opiates. But my med is like a normal anti depressant but it has some characteristics of amphetamine.

Personally, I have experienced years of severe depression (medically diagnosedn I ainxt a tumblrfag), and antidepressants really do help. Most people think that antideoressants change who you are, but really, they don't. They just make it so you cant feel depressed. When you're not depressed, you can focus on other things, which in turn, distracts you from your depression.

Well in this case what is the point in surviving it?

Because life is underrated as fuck

Lying awake at 4 in the morning (UK time) questioning that myself. Would an hero but failed the last few times I tried

How so? If surviving depression means living in its cesspool your whole life, then why live?

It was easy for me to get off of them. But then again I was never really depressed, I was doing them recreationally. You'll be pretty surprised once they take hold (I was taking them for a few weeks before I really felt it). It feels really cool, kinda like being in a dream 24/7. It's hard to be productive when on them though.

>failing an hero
>try harder.
If you can't even an hero correctly you deserve yourself.

Because of the fact that you can feel anything at all, for me living through hell is better than not living at all.

I used to be on anti depressents. They give you this great ability to literally not give two shits about anything. It's great you don't even feel bad about being an asshole.

Nah I disagree. Not living at all you don't have to mourn yourself. In hell you would burn and feel the torture. Being nothing is scary but you wouldn't be around to be scared so it all works out.

Yeah I get it 420.

To be real man I was on about every drug in the book since 8 years old. Depression, adhd and bipolar. I stopped taking my meds when I was 16 and my quality of life has skyrocketed, it was really rough at first but it got a better when I learned to control myself.
Therapy isn'd bad, just the drugs are. I still have phases of being down and being depressed but it opens my eyes to a different world, it's weird in a way but im happy to be depressed sometimes. Just be yourself and have courage, no need to live a fake life on pills that make you a zombie man.

Another worry of mine. Worry that pills will make me be like those 50 yr old business men who live the same day over and over again in total apathy. Never really content but not realizing they are not content either if you catch my drift.

Anyways op is out now. Feel free to continue thread as feels/general depression thing. Wish you all luck with finding help/getting better. Goodnight Cred Forumsros.

What i do to prevent becoming a repetetive zombie is taking strong psychedelics once in a while just to reasure me that everything i know could be false, it's kind of liberating.

Good luck mang, and stay strong!

Thanks pal, you too.