I'm having an unusual life dilemma and seek the opinion of impartial strangers. I'll try to be brief

I'm having an unusual life dilemma and seek the opinion of impartial strangers. I'll try to be brief.

I've been contemplating conducting an ethical experiment. My whole life I've been told I'm a good guy, which is a good thing, but I've been kind to a fault. Personal relationships, work relationships, etc, I am always deliberately too selfless on principle. There have even been times where I've passively allowed myself to be guilted, bullied, or taken advantage of so that I can look in the mirror at the end of the day and say "It's a shame for them because I am a good, selfless person and they aren't". I thought "If everyone would be this selfless we would all be fine".

I think people interpret my characteristics as a lack of confidence, but I'm not so sure that's true. All those times I would passively step down for the benefit of another human being, deserving or not, hoping that karma would smile upon me, a part of me deep down would be thinking "This person is so god damn lucky I'm a good guy. Don't you know I'm doing this for YOU? What would you do if I shut off my conscience?"

I am now almost 30 and I still have nothing. I think I'm done. I think it's time to try the other end of the spectrum. Carefully, of course. I'm becoming more and more fascinated with career manipulation. I find myself identifying closely with all sorts of characters that twist the world and people around them into giving them what they want. I strengths are suppressed by morality. What's the point of keeping it if life isn't going to reward me with even so much as a sense of lasting happiness?

TL;DR:
Should I experiment with sacrificing peices of my morality to use others for personal gain? Or should I keep being a good guy and hope that karma will reward me in the end?

Someone here must have an opinion about this, of all places. Can't exactly ask people I know without setting off major red flags...

Am too, too nice
Do it user
Nice guys finish last
Assholes finish in her ass

BE a dick. become the asshole.
Ever work in a very popular and demanding restaurant? it's the same way.
winners make it to the top and take all.
losers sit on the bottom and get the scraps.
you gotta fuck people over to get anywhere in life.

You are such a fucking faggot, like what the fuck is this pussy ass shit you dumb fucking nigger shitface. Just get yours and shut the fuck up. Ooooh, you'be been nice to people to feel good about yourself. You're a dumb selfish prick like all of us, you just go about it in a way that fucks you. God damn you are a worthless stupid asshole. You sure you're not 14?

Friendo, do not sacrifice your morality but instead take things you want. when a nice guy is nice while taking what he wants people consider this strange but you have years of experience so you can pull off the nice guy and continue to take what you want. we are all Cred Forumsrothers in this shitty world, I hope this helped.

qft

You guys are so fucking fruity.

Seriously, get your shit together, OP and friends.

You can be the nice guy. In fact, if you ever want to enjoy life, you have to be. The difference is, you also have to be a fucking rockstar. Being a nice guy isn't about taking the trash out. It's about making it fucking rain excellence on the people so far beneath you, because as you said, "They are not like this."

You, as the ultimate ubermensch should treat the untermensch with pity and reach down into the muck to pull them out. Be judgemental. Tell someone "Dude, you're a fucking loser. Let me help you."

Be pretentious about it. Be better than everyone else at everything. I'm not saying you shouldn't spank a girl when she wants spanked. That has nothing to do with being a nice guy.

Trust me on this one, OP. I'm the nicest fucking guy I know, and I'm also a rockstar about it. It gets me everything I want in life and then some, and I'm average as can be physically.

Be fearless. Be awesome. Be a great fucking person, not just a nice fucking person.

Don't be an asshole.

TL;DR Be the best fucking paladin in the world.

It does.

Don't get me wrong. I'm not looking to hurt anyone innocent. Not terribly, anyway. I would have to weigh the risk/reward on a case by case basis, but I'd like to avoid it altogether.

Also I don't intend to sacrifice all of my morality, just make some compromises.

All I know is that I'm tired of hearing "I think you're a nice guy, but...", which is what life in general seems to be telling me right now.

Nice guys finish last, faggot. Either be a man and do what you want or live your life knowing you are weak and allow others to dominate your life.

See
I just want to dip my toe in the water and see how it feels.

Also, I have found almost all of those methods to be unsuccessful. I'm not saying it's not possible for some people, but like I said in the OP, morals seem to play against my strengths.

I don't want to waste my potential. I have weaknesses but I am very smart in very particular ways, which so far I have not been able to successfully apply to anything yet.

You're doing it wrong then. Try harder, or continue to fail in new ways. There's no way out of having to work for it.

my opinion on this.
be good to the polite ppl
be nice to the happy ppl
be a happy dick to cunts.

if reading in between the lines hopefully you can see an appli method for your karma dilemma

we all eventually reap what we sow, in this life or the next. also, karma doesn't work they way you described; if you do good expecting something in return, that's not the same as doing good for the sake of doing good...get it?

follow you heart and do what you will, just know you will have to live with yourself and your choices.

good luck and i hope you find your way, user.

I would also prefer to not waste my time.

Also, this would be a lot of work, I think. I'm not talking about pulling cheap tricks. I want to carefully discreetly perform psychological surgery.

My first possible experiment, for example: I am currently in a situation in the workplace where I could stand to gain A LOT by quietly inciting a mutiny against another employee (who, frankly, does not deserve his position).

if you are a good person expecting to gain something out of it, you're not a good person at all, you just a well behaved kid expecting someone will reward you for being good. I do truly believe you can be good and still succeed, might take a while longer than the ones who cheat and rush to the top, but it will be more worthy. You still need to get you ass out of the chair and fight for the things you want, thou.

I hear you and value the input.

For the record, though, it was only recently I started to seriously question this karma shit. I never behaved the way I did for reward in the beginning, I did it because it felt like the right thing to do, and I believed that pouring myself into others would bring me happiness. But it didn't, at all. I want to help others, I really do, but not at the expense of my own quality of life.

See.
Also not only has selflessness not brought me inner peace, I've actually been treated like garbage. I will admit, I'm a bit angry about that. I'm not saying I expect kindness to payout extravagantly, but I expected to at least be content with my life and accomplishments, most of which were robbed from me by people who ARE willing to cross that line.

Also I forgot to mention:

>we all eventually reap what we sow

I think that might be one of those fairy tale sayings your parents teach you when your little but isn't actually completely true. Just like "honesty is always the best policy".

underrated

I feel this deeply, and this subject has actually greatly interested me.
Recently I have been making the same sort of paces you might be thinking about doing, which is to speak your mind when others might not like what you have to say (if I'm right on that one). There are a few people in my life that go about their business and act spitefully towards me while they do so, and speaking to them about it does wonders.
As for your issue with the worker who does not deserve his position, why not? Your life is completely made up of what you think of others, and what others think of you. If he truly does not deserve it and you believe you do, the people who care about you will support you all the more for the forward thinking decision you have made.

off to Cred Forums with you