My girlfriend wants to buy a new laptop but since her retarded friends at work all use Macbooks and suggest she should...

My girlfriend wants to buy a new laptop but since her retarded friends at work all use Macbooks and suggest she should buy this stupid 1000$ facebook machine she tends to want to buy it as well. I already told her that its a complete waste of money and rationally speaking it would make more sense investing in a cheaper PC laptop with the same specs. Could you guys help me out and suggest a PC laptop below 1000$ with roughly the same specs as a Macbook?

Other urls found in this thread:

theverge.com/2015/3/9/8177065/apple-macbook-specs-comparison-vs-pc-windows-dell
youtube.com/watch?v=qnlaegHmB2k
boingboing.net/2015/09/22/yet-another-pre-installed-spyw.html
twitter.com/NSFWRedditImage

>>roughly the same specs as a Macbook

anything 5 years old or older should match up nicely

Get something cheaper than a MacBook but, more powerful than one.

Get an Ultrabook.

for what is the laptop?

Computers aren't just about specs. Design, retention of value, the OS, and many other factors matter more to most people. Learn to let your girlfriend make her own decisions, you can't force her to be happier with something you want more.

she only uses the laptop for surfing, facebook, writing her blog, and cutting some of her vlog videos (she used to get along just fine using movie maker so nothing too complicated) thats pretty much it.

Sounds like average macbookfag.

She's gonna hate you. Her friends are gonna make fun of her for not getting a mac

The HP Envy had an amazing sale. $700 bucks for their top line product, and it's imo one of the best options out there.

Asus F555UB-XO111T

Asus F751MA-TY201T

sure, but she has absolutely zero knowledge about computers. she always got along great with her usual PC laptops and now since her Asus laptop fucked up a bit after 3 years of intense usage she is convinced that since all of her friends use macbooks that macbooks dont break. which is bullshit. also its just bullshit to spend 1000$ on a laptop that you only use for fucking surfing and editing together simple videos.

>theverge.com/2015/3/9/8177065/apple-macbook-specs-comparison-vs-pc-windows-dell

Print the chart, and hand write prices above them.

However, based on the average usage you posted, sounds like she may prefer a Mac. Just let her know that you know jack shit about macs and if she needs help connecting to the wifi you will be just as clueless as she would be.

Buy any POS and and put an apple sticker on it. Auto hide the task bar and change the IE icon to a safari icon.

Bitch won't know any different.

no they are not since her friends dont even fucking care or know what laptop she uses. she only uses the fucking thing at home. so that fact alone should make buying the thing for styles sake pointless

You can get virtually any PC for half the price that has the same specs as a macbook. The only reason they charge $1200+ is because of the name and shiny case. Macs share the exact same hardware as PCs.

Fuck hp, worse than getting a mac.

Dude, an apple laptop is even better for her if she doesent know much about computers. OS is much more intuitive. that being said, my gf got a surface and she has no buyers remorse, thats the closest thing aethsetically and functionally that can go up against apple.

already told her that all of my software and adobe suite etc. that i already got at home work jack shit on a mac and that all of her old pc games wont work either. plus i got no clue how to handle mac since i never used them and dont know how the fucking OS works. but does she care? no. mostly just returns with a "but they dont break and they got these awesome features blabla"

break up with her. this is a major sign that she doesn't know anything about money. she is superfluous. if she thinks something is the best simply because all her friends say so without actually looking anything up, then she is going to be one of those "vaccines cause autism" people. you dont want that in your life.

apple product will make the panties drop to the floor. buy her the macbook.

I always hated Macs for no reason, just like everybody. Then I got a job in an all Mac office. Decided to have a good attitude, and try to enjoy learning the new OS. Ended up liking it a lot. Started with a Power PC Mac (old school), upgraded to one of those ubiquitous white Macbooks, then got one each of the last two Macbook Pros.

The thing is... they are just better, for everything but gaming. It's probably like driving a 3-series BMW vs a Honda Accord. On paper, the Honda is probably at least as good if not better. But everybody driving a BMW knows what a car should actually feel like from behind the wheel.

Not really you dont have xenons, ecc ram, or unix certified os

what you should do is dump her for being a sheep and wanting anything Apple.

the thing is that she got along with a PC for years upon years just fine and since she is living with me and I also need her to be able to pay for rent food etc. i dont want to fucking have her buy this overpriced garbage for idiot consumers

THANK YOU

Um excuse me, I'm fairly certain that macbook can easily be snapped in half. Where did she get this notion they can't break?

IT fag here. I know it seems crazy but just get the Mac. If you get a PC and God forbid she has even the slightest problem (even if it's her fault) you'll never hear the end of it - plus giving 24/7 support to stupid people with PC's is just torture, user.

The amount of basement foreveralones in this thread is ridiculous.

It's only $1000 buy her the MacBook and have a good relationship and be happy. Or be a total fag and put irrelevant shit before a human relationship and just end it now and save her from yourself if your priorities are that fucked.

cant tell you how often her sheep attitude towards brands made me consider that. but i am a strong believer in the though that i can still change this retarded attitude as long as i manage to speak some sense into her. but since she is surrounded by those idiot friends its just very hard

^ This, see it as a learning opportunity that you do not have to pay for.

As long as you aren't buying it let her do what she wants.

break in terms of software hardware breakdown. not in terms of "i smash this thing against the wall and it suddenly wont work" breakdown

You cant get a mac for the same price as a pc because thry dont support xenons or ecc ram. Now you say big deal but when you need a workstation both of the factors arecdesigned to prevent errors. Also ntfs is a joke with 4gb limit and windows cant handle ram. Windows 10 is also complete shit.

Take the $1000 and break up with her. I'd rather spend $1000 on useful things (such as stocks or whores) rather than a Kikebook machine.

Just look around until you find a cheap laptop that's shiny pink. She'll love it.

Clearly you didn't read the thread. Yes he does have to fucking pay for it, that's the whole reason it's even a problem, dumbass

Nah, unless you wanna buy another in a year. The software is written intentionally so their older shit stops working if you don't update to new shit every year.

Lenovo T420 or similar

Dual i5 processors for about $150 bucks used

They are nice, smallish and light laptops that work great and just tell her how great the fingerprint reader is for security.

Add a nice brand new laptop bag for $75

as laptop hardware apple is rock solid and reliable. mac OSX is fucking terrible though the laptops are useless without partitioning windows

I dont have to pay for it. Just dont want her to be a fucking tool and idiot to pay 1000$ for a laptop she only uses for surfing and editing simple videos. any fucking 200$ PC can do that. thing is that her spending 1000$ is shit for me as well because I live with her in our shared apartment. meaning she has to pay for her rent etc. and since she is not really the most cautious of persons in terms of spending money, throwing away 1000 bucks like that is retarded. especially when she suddenly will one day tell me that she is short on cash and has problems paying her half of the rent or whatever

unfortunately this is your only option against it then. this is the best that Microsoft has to offer. Its unfortunate but it is the truth. People dont buy things primarily for specs, they buy things that will bring them the best experience. if you really have an issue with cost but she wont budge on apple than convince her to get a used macbook air. Personally i use both OS's as i am a product designer.

youtube.com/watch?v=qnlaegHmB2k

I've got a Macbook Pro. Better than any other laptop or desktop I've ever used. They just work. Everything else crashes constantly or is slow as fuck

thanks for your advice but dont get me started on the whole "Im a product designer so I OF COURSE use Apple products" thing. It's bullshit. Still thanks for your advice.

11" macbooks are not 1000 bucks. and they are well packaged for an entry level computer user so you won't have to do as much work on it for her, I don't see the problem.

Comparing a Honda to a BMW. Mac user logic

Pretty much this. I like Windows and OS X and didn't blindly (and ironically) follow the crowd of haters.

I use Windows mostly for games, I use Mac for mostly everything else. It's a nice experience even if it's substantially more expensive. It's nice to have unix when doing web development as well.

OP should take this as an opportunity to learn new things.

(Retard)
Who's the idiot now.

>Lenovo
Fuck off.

She wants the Mercedes and you think the Honda is fine. She'll leave you for someone who thinks she deserves a Mercedes. My Wife wants all Apple shit, and I give it to her. I can do that because I make a lot of money and don't worry about piddly ass shit like $1000 vs $200.

Man up, buy the Mac.

yea, not a good example. especially since recent bmw's are known to crap out faster than any POS computer.

get her a fucking C grade refurbished chrome book for 70 bucks (150 for brand new one)

I use that for school and do exactly the same shit she is, minus vlog attention whoring, plus netflix watching.

Best 70 bucks ever spent.

It must be nice to be rich, being able to afford a PC for gaming and a Mac for everything else. Sad truth is however: I dont shit money. And she doesnt either. She doesnt even earn that much money to begin with so thats that. Shes just a fucking nurse.

Why don't you buy her a $34 tablet, she's probably just going to use for Facebook, YouTube, and candy themed apps anyways.

thanks for the advice but doesnt really sound like you got the best relationship with your wife either (not that mine is the prime example of a good one)

Good nurses can make up $90k/year.

she wont want it because theres no physical keyboard and she cant edit videos etc. on it

>Has to buy her expensive frivolous shit
>She'll leave, otherwise

Don't think you could sound like any more of a pussy faggot than you do.
I keep my wife by feeding her this cock, picking her up thoughtful and functional gifts when she needs them, and just generally being a fucking man. But you keep lavishing yours with gifts so she doesn't leave you.

word.

mac's are the Ronco Rotisserie Roast of the computer world ... "just set it and forget it".

you never have to do shit to them after you set it up on day one.

every single version of windows needs constant care and feeding ... collects shit from your web activity, etc. etc.

a laptop with good horsepower can be had for little cash ... and with nice unix variant would be ideal ... but there is no way in hell I'm going to offer to support that for any friend or family ...

I do IT for my work - I'm not doing it as a hobby for free for people who just want to surf, blog, waste their time on facebook and email. For them - Mac's are where I point them.

Dont know which prostitute hospitals you are talking about but she only makes about 1200 (already with paid taxes) a month. add her make up addiction to that and theres not too much money left to safe each month.

>tfw i have 2 macbooks and a dedicated gaming PC

Haha... Yeah... They're not good at all....

Go to an Apple Store ... get 0% financing for 2 years through Barclays. No up front cost, no penalty/interest for not have all the cash now.

>It must be nice to be rich
It's not, it's a fuck ton of hard work. It's called being a man. I made every cent myself and no one helped me at all.

I don't really care what you do, but I honestly have no idea how you got a girl when you're such a poor tight ass worrying about a grand. The fact she's a Nurse doesn't matter. In fact why is she paying for it at all?

This is why feminism is getting extreme because you fuckers have stopped stepping up.

It's perfectly fine. She's exactly what I want in a Women but sometimes I gotta buy her stupid girly shit. That's pretty much life. She does what I want, cleans my house, cooks me dinner when I get home from work. It's pretty good.

Financing a non essential item? Yea, that's great advice.

Acer Aspire R 14"

>similar specs
>1080p screen
>can flip into a tablet, touchscreen
>excellent build quality
>only 700

>add her make up addiction to that

there's one problem ...

>and theres not too much money left to safe

and here's your other ... it's "save"

Maybe because I am still in university and working my ass off for my masters degree to get a good fucking job one day?!

Not him, but yeah. Sure there's no interest but if you really need to finance you really shouldn't buy it. I could quite easily afford a top of the range MBP several times over.

Financing can get you intro trouble, and it's a willpower trap. If you need financing there is a very very high probability you don't have the willpower.

Buy the macbook... she'll be happy.. and you don't have to fuck with it.

0% you dumb fuck

that means you can pay 2400 now ... or 100 a month for 24 months. in what would would you not take the deal where you can keep earning interest on your own money.

Ah well then disregard. God speed user. Honestly.

Mostly Cred Forums is losers, so I assumed. My bad.

word

You're an idiot. Your math is correct, that's not why it's bad advice.

then explain why it's "bad advice"

You want her to get what you want. She's gonna dump you for being an ass

Also your wife pretty much sounds like she does everything a maid and prostitute would do. Ever considered hiring one of those? Would be cheaper in the longrun since you dont seem to care that she ever uses her brain or anything. This is pretty much Michelle Pfeiffer in Scarface all over again. And everybody who saw the movie knows what a bitch she was.

From bls.gov:

The median annual wage for registered nurses was $67,490 in May 2015. The median wage is the wage at which half the workers in an occupation earned more than that amount and half earned less. The lowest 10 percent earned less than $46,360, and the highest 10 percent earned more than $101,630

... So when you say she is a nurse, you are referring to her wearing slutty nurse outfits to Halloween and sucking off strangers cocks for a little bit of cash here and there?

You are a fucking genius, user

Tell her about the planned obsolescence bs that apple puts in all of their products. Also tell her that you can get a decent gaming laptop for about the same price.

Hallelujah!

Just get any zenbook in the $999 range.

I did
I care if she uses her brain. She has two very respectable degrees, one with honours. Stop talking, you don't have a clue.

That kinda nurse would be nice but no.

Trust me she only earns 1200. pretty much does the work of a medical assistent and they dont really earn too much here in Germany

by nurse he must mean "nurse's aide". $10/month is the only way she's making $1200 after taxes

my mother makes over $100k per year as a head nurse on her unit.

she probably sits on facebook all day or uses skype, why the fuck would she need something more powerful than a "facebook machine"? so you can borrow it to play the latest video games?

> gaming laptop

Oh HELL no.

Mac will last longer if she takes care of it. It's about what she uses it for, and not having it crap out way sooner than you think. The thing about other laptops is they tend to need constant upkeep. Like another user said, Macs are way more reliable in terms of settings and updates.

Shut the fuck up. You already exposed yourself as a loser kid in mama's basement from the very second you wrote that you earn loads of cash and buy your wife expensive shit. As if people with that amount of cash would spend their time on Cred Forums. gtfo faggot

Get a shitty 200-300 dollar white laptop, get a white apple sticker, put it over the other logo
>profit

This.
Even if she isn't asking you to buy it. Even if she won't leave you if you don't. Just stop being a total fag and do something nice for her for the sake of being nice.

Lmfao, do you wanna get laid anymore or not? Here's what's gonna happen, you'll buy it, she'll hate it, she'll return it, either you pay the difference or she will to get what she wants. Do it right the first time if you don't wanna fight. You're asking for trouble.

It's a very popular website. You'd be surprised.

no update - no problem. just turn updates off and keep only your kaspersky updated. updates cause more problems than they solve. trust me

"planned obsolescence" for the iphone maybe ... by I see plenty of 5 and 6 year old macbook pros working like they did on day one.

The $500 laptop ... thats disposable ... planned obsolescence in a box. I don't have a problem with the, mind you. There's value in a low price point. But Apple's MacBook Pro line does not fir that description.

So much salt with such little money.

Very true. Got an HP for 600, awesome, HDMI before most others, crapped out in 6moths. Had to send it back and lost everything on it that wasn't backed up.

Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16834331907
on newegg. $999

> Only 1000$
Wow. I don't know how much different the economy in the states is, but this sounds ridiculous to me.
Why literally WASTE money on an overrated product, while you can get the same for less, and more for the same price? It's irresponsible on her side if she still wants a macbook after being faced with these facts.

You're retarded. She wants to post pictures on Facebook of it, facetime with people, put a cute little case on it so she can take it out and show her friends. It's a status symbol just like her Northface jacket, name brand purses and shoes, and even the makeup she uses. She doesn't want it for its functionality.

Dude...she absolutely never took her fucking laptop to any place else other than using it at home. Absolutely never. She has no intention or reasons to carry her fucking laptop to any other place. the status symbol stuff you said is true but it wouldnt even make sense since she wouldnt even show it off to others.

I don't get how people aren't getting this. And I also don't get how some people who do get it are surprised by this.

There are so many damn things people get because of status but certain things, like Apple products, really piss some people off.

It's insane.

THIS

She can talk about it. And talk about the BF who bought it for her. Women love to brag.

wont even buy it for her since its her spending her own money on it and not me. Its just retarded to spend money on it and I dont like it since I live together with her and dont want her to be short on cash if we suddenly need money to pay for the insurance for our car for example that my parents are nice enough to give me (its their old crappy car but whatever a car is a car)

Found the poorfag

You should definitely break up with her, she's a bitch and only wants to look good while ignoring your opinion. There are plentey of fish in the sea, you WILL find someone better man.

Considering your economic position, her low salary and your Student status. I'd recommend being as honest as possible about _why_ you shouldn't buy it. With detailed reasoning.

If she's a mature girl, she'll understand and be patient. If she's a loser she'll get angry or do it anyways.

This could be a good opportunity to see how she can handle you putting your foot down on a reasonable stance.

Don't expect to get any points though.

Just get her a fucking macbook for

its a shit situations for sure but you are right. just makes me angry as fuck when i start to give her rational points and even showed her some good pc laptops for lower prices back a few days ago which even fucking look like macbook with all the black silver design etc. and she only says "yeah but its not a macbook". you pretty much already lost against people with reasoning like this i guess

Get a nice second hand one. Slap in an SSD, max out the ram and she will be set for another few years. Dress it up with a rubber case, no visible scratches etc. Can be done for 600 or less.

Why don't you confess that there is no gf in reality, that you are a faggot who knows nothing about computers, and that you're fishing for info here?

I wouldn't say they are a poorfag. Just a responsible and rational fag.

still an overpriced refurbished piece of shit. especially when she only uses surfing and simple crap for it.

Its pretty easy to baby proof windows for people like that

Still you all for even debating Apple vs Windows. It's all shit.
>may as well be arguing turd sandwhich vs turd burrito

why dont you confess that you are typing this while eating a homeless faggots socks in your roach infested hole in the sewers?

Who gives a shit? There's one on there for $750. She gets what she wants and you don't have to break bank to get it. What's the big fucking deal?

that she buys overpriced crap for 750$ although she might as well buy a laptop for 300-400$ that will fit her uses absolutely just fine. but because theres a glowing apple on it, she wants to pay almost double for it. its retarded.

1k? Wow OP where I live a macbook costs 2.5/3k, we can make business together

link me one pc with the same spec of the mbpr 13'' with half of the price. Do it. I bet you can't find it.

That's like telling someone they should just buy fucking foam sandals from CVS because they do the same thing as Italian leather loafers. Get a fucking clue, man. In the grand scheme of things, you're taking a fairly petty difference in price for a negligible difference in quality.

>xenons

does the xenons make my facebook html faster?

because as we all know, Apple products are only so pricey because of their high quality. Are you fucking serious? gtfo

this

Because everything you just said is more important than an actual loving relationship with another human being. Just give up and an hero already.

Anything with an intel i-5.
I saw fucking macbooks at 1200€ with those shitty i-5s in them, while on the other side of the shelf you could buy PCs with i-7 on them for 850-1000€.

You won't be able. Abandon the ship NOW or pay the price for ALL of your life.

>1000$
I've heard you, americans, may waste this sum weekly without any concern. Why do you care about just 1000$?

I'm glad you finally pulled your head out of your ass and realized the facts. My mb pro's been running like a fucking champ since '09. I was a PC fag before that and never did I have a machine that lasted that long. MAYBE my old HP back in '95, but that's because Win'95 was pretty much the best windows ever. So yeah, you gtfo. Plus, what this guy said. So fuck you.

Stop being an autist. Some people just like the build of MacBooks and prefer OS X.

because I am not American. I am German.

some people also like to eat shit and fuck kids. whats your point?

could you sound any more pussy whipped?

Sounds like she just likes the OS. Why don't you compromise and get her to go used or refurbished?

Sniff her ass and mouth....

ITT: over controlling OP wants his gf to spend HER money on something she doesn't want to satisfy HIS preferences.

Just let her get what she wants, faggot

Let her get what she is comfortable using for the reasons she is needs it for.

Ok child. Because doing something nice is the same as being pussy whipped. Please respond or is lunch hour over.

Turd burrito is 140% than any turd sandwich imo
And on the subject, it's just a matter of confronting her on this, even if she believes and trusts you about computers she wants the new shiny toy. You'll figure it out, I'm sure..

>This is why feminism is getting extreme because you fuckers have stopped stepping up.

finally someone said it.

fuck apple yo

if youre this worried about what someone else spends their money on then you have another huge problem.

you need to get your own hobbies and goals and worry about them

>She asks for a Mac
>Op buys Lenovo
>better security
Oh wew lad...
boingboing.net/2015/09/22/yet-another-pre-installed-spyw.html

i spent 1300 for macbook as a design student 6 years ago mainly because my university forced me to due to software packets, but now Im about to do it again. apart from a graphics card that gets so hot that it literally burns your balls if you would use it as a "lap top" it was actually a pretty good buy
6 years for an apple device was surprising - mobile devices did stagnate a bit in technology (especially for non-gamers), but the thing can still handle almost anything (just slow as fuck) and it didnt break.
my friends shit pad phablet physically broke within 3 months and then had trouble booting. thats what he gets for laughing about "outdated technology"

Apple Tech Support here. I don't want to have her calling in asking stupid questions unless she wants to screen share and has nudes on the Mac.

Get an older macbook? 2011 models are still great and are similar spec. Also they are cheap as fuck/