In terms of teleportation, where you're atomically deconstructed in one area, and reassembled in another...

In terms of teleportation, where you're atomically deconstructed in one area, and reassembled in another, would the "person" on the other end of the teleportation process be you? Or when deconstructed, are you killed, and another atomically reconstructed clone with reassembled memories, and features take your place?

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=geMGo2P94j4
twitter.com/NSFWRedditImage

I dont even know how to respond to this

What makes you think they'd keep the memories? The only 'teleportation' that can 'work' would have to be yhe high gravity kind; wormholes

Does this happen when you lose consciousness, e.g. from anesthesia?

>implying memories are tangible pieces of matter

I'd rather take a shuttle.

Not tangible the way you think. Memories are represented by different connections between neurons. Basically if you wire the brain back toghether correctly you end up with the same memories

Are you implying that if one were to reconnect neurons, any memory can be created, even a vivid memory of me being a fire breathing Dragon in space? I find that difficult to believe. On that note:

>how do dreams work

You are killed and recreated
Teleportation is cut and paste

Then how do you remember it yourself?

So long as your perspective is continuous and your state of being, as well as memories, are intact, yep - may as well be you. It doesn't need to be the same physical atoms because you can't perceive them.

Same way your reality does - it's a hallucination. Only one is supposed to be real and the other isn't, but it isn't neccesary that that is the case! Yay schizophrenia!

You'll get killed

Well yeah, you essentially die when you teleport. The problem with this fact is that when you teleport, you die and go to heaven. Every time your clone teleports, he dies and goes to heaven as well. So in the end, you have a bunch of yous in heaven, and you have to deal with that somehow.

There's only so many grifs in RvB before they figure it out so i reckon it works a little like that.

This happens every night when you go to sleep.
Prove me wrong.

I would deal with it by not believing fairy stories and just being dead

LOL, then how the fuck do you think memories work? Do you believe in god or souls or some bullshit?

most people have for thousands of years and continue to do so... Just because you believe in god and souls doesn't mean you have to fit into a typecast role of a "religious person" with the "no girlfriends or wanking" type bullshit.

Thoughts are a dynamic interaction between neurons, that modify the network everytime they fire.
If we assume your brain matter is perfectly frozen, and reconstructed atom for atom, then your memories will just be a recreation of interaction patterns of the 'new' brain.

Yes, its new material, and yes, its still you.

more interestingly, are you still you when you're blackout drunk?

So you'd rather go to hell? Well, you would still encounter the same issue.

Nlss?

True teleportation cant physically exist, retard

I think of exactly the same situation with trying to copy the information in your brain. If it was possible to copy your memories from your brain after you die and place it into a body would it still be you?

skipping pages cause fuck you

OP Should kill himself

over the course of your life every atom in your body is replaced several times. Are you the same person you were born as?

youtube.com/watch?v=geMGo2P94j4

Number 2. But no one would notice.

If we're going star trek rules, then I would have to say you die every time you use the transporter. You're entire "pattern" or the data needed to reconstruct you is made up of not only your physical structure but also your current neural state and activity.

Unless you open a hole in timespace, specifically the space portion during the same point in time, and then travel through it.

Im just here for the Gantz posts.

What manga is this?

It can, as soon as humans master space magic.

I view this kind of destructive teleportation as death for the current instance who steps into the teleporter, but as far as the new you and the rest of the universe are concerned there is literally and virtually no difference except for your location

I would get over it eventually to take advantage of teleportation, or being "uploaded" into a computer brain, but I take great issue with it as a form of death and would seek any means possible to avoid it and still use these technologies (specifically with some kind of teleportation which did not perform this operation in the same manner, or with a rate-limited piecemeal replacement of the brain to a more flexible and dynamically networked medium which could be expanded and relocated to other physical resources as necessary)

Considering that every12 or so years you consist of an almost entirely different set of cells as you did before, are you still the same person as before?

some ship of theseus shit famalam

end

I think this is very relevant. Basically, how far can a person change until you consider her a different person ? An amnesic is still considered the same person. Someone with greffed organs too. It shows the concept of individuality is quite loose.

Memories come from thought, thought is energy, energy can be manipulated.

Number 2. But no one would notice.

Just press update or auto update you fucking autist

Wait this isn't actually true. You have the same brain cells pretty much your entire life

Is the world even real?

We would never know if what's recreated on the other side is ourselves or not, because your other self will always believe it worked successfully, but you do infact die during teleportation.

You get destroyed. Another version of you in created, and will appear to be identical but your sense of your own existence will have ended.

That's what I'm doing you fucking idiot. I don't even have F5, I'm browsing on my phone.

Gantz had so much fucking potential.

What the fuck even happened to those vampire guys who showed up for like 3 pages?

That can't be it

THERE HAS TO BE MORE

Why post F5 then, fucking pleb

It's a meme that means constantly updating you dumbshit newfag.

it's a culturally relevant anachronism, newfriend

your perception is as real as it gets

Don't lose your marbles friend you'll need them in the future

Maybe hes trying to tell the poster that he appreciates the content and wishes for more, fucking autist.

As out particles flow through space time this reconstruction happens incessantly, but at time scales so small that we perceive continuity through time. So, number 2. But no one would notice.

I thought bottlecaps would be post-apocalyptic currency.

You die

>this samefag

haha jesus I'm laughing so hard at your pathetic attemps, cya loserz

~UltraVi0lent

Yeah but marbles are 5 caps each so I got bear post war dollar

Gantz

Check 'em.

Consider the following : If the original isn't destroyed during the process, is the new one a you ? isn't the fact that there are two versions in contradiction with the notion of individuality.

Also thanks for the Gantz user.

Watch The prestige

Yes it does.

What the fuck are you talking about? You're just as retarded as the other guy

if you could re-assemble your entire body atom-by-atom exactly as it was before you "teleported", you would die, and another (you) would appear in the place you assembled the atoms. That new (you) would have all the memories of you, even of stepping into the teleportation machine, but would start to form new ones in the environment it appeared in.

It would react to the environment exactly as you would react, but after a while, after enough experiences, that new (you) would turn into someone that was slightly different.

Kind of like how time works. Right now as you sit at your computer, you have memories and experiences that influence your behavior. Say you go out and buy a lottery ticket. If you win, your life changes and your behavior does as well. You begin to form new experiences that influence how you interact with the world. If you lost the lottery, you would have a different set of experiences, and would be different from the (you) that won the lottery.

"You" would be killed and a doppelganger will be produced, and nobody would be able to know.

DO IT fAGOOT!

3/10 You made me reply.

Do you want to take this outside you pompous little faggot? Talk shit get hit, bitch

Just because everyone else is doing it

We are machines made of meat. Especially women. AmIright?

What the fuck did you just fucking say about me, you little bitch? I’ll have you know I graduated top of my class in the Navy Seals, and I’ve been involved in numerous secret raids on Al-Quaeda, and I have over 300 confirmed kills. I am trained in gorilla warfare and I’m the top sniper in the entire US armed forces. You are nothing to me but just another target. I will wipe you the fuck out with precision the likes of which has never been seen before on this Earth, mark my fucking words. You think you can get away with saying that shit to me over the Internet? Think again, fucker. As we speak I am contacting my secret network of spies across the USA and your IP is being traced right now so you better prepare for the storm, maggot. The storm that wipes out the pathetic little thing you call your life. You’re fucking dead, kid. I can be anywhere, anytime, and I can kill you in over seven hundred ways, and that’s just with my bare hands. Not only am I extensively trained in unarmed combat, but I have access to the entire arsenal of the United States Marine Corps and I will use it to its full extent to wipe your miserable ass off the face of the continent, you little shit. If only you could have known what unholy retribution your little “clever” comment was about to bring down upon you, maybe you would have held your fucking tongue. But you couldn’t, you didn’t, and now you’re paying the price, you goddamn idiot. I will shit fury all over you and you will drown in it. You’re fucking dead, kiddo.

Too easy, cya lozers

the last piece, we have assembled the triforce of faggotry

Leaving so soon?
Why not troll us some more since we are such gullible lolcows?

Faggots not getting another (You)

He knows who the fuck he is

Go tell your mom about how you totally trolled the Cred Forums again

yuuh

we are made to learn how to interact with the world in a way that allows us to reproduce (as a species, don't get your hopes up)

see

Dubs of truth. Not a dualist, me. And done reproducing - vasectomy 5 years ago.

This is UltraVi0lent

He is an underage boy-pucci.
Report him for rule violation.

I'm a girl you fucking nonce haha

~UltraVi0lent

^tits or gtfo bitch

All people on the internet are male until proven otherwise

Rule 16, faggot. There are no girls on the internet.

He's also from the UK.

Go deeper, what about if every night when you wake up you are a new person with the same memories. What if YOU only live for one day and tomorrow there is a new 'you' with all the same memories

my understanding is that lapses in consciousness like sleep are "non-destructive" to the state of a running instance of yourself in your wetware, while something like being put under with anesthesia is closer to a destructive interruption in your stream of consciousness (continuity, if you will) and something like death obviously halts it entirely