Guitar thread inbound

Guitar thread inbound

What's the most difficult or interesting song you can play, and how long have you been playing?

>11th Hour - Lamb of God, 3 years

Other urls found in this thread:

youtu.be/mgm_7I3SuY8?t=2m24s
youtube.com/watch?v=38JnZFiRUTo
m.youtube.com/watch?v=iQLb3aq-xs4
youtube.com/watch?v=dun7KkHd1qA
youtube.com/watch?v=ZJpeyv9ZKQE&list=RDZJpeyv9ZKQE
youtube.com/watch?v=uNJBYW2SKjQ
twitter.com/NSFWRedditImage

>two year plan by such gold
not hard whatsoever, just hella interesting strumming/structure

whats your rig tho?

My current rig, as of now, is an Alvarez Dana Scoop that I purchased about a month ago for $400, a Fender Ultimate Chorus, for $200, no pedals, cause I'm slowly building it up

Dream theater - pull me under
5 years
SG les paul

Is it an actual gibson, or just an epi?

>Alvarez Dana Scoop

nigga whats your amp setup i mean. guitars are cool and shit but your sound/tone comes from your amp

> a Fender Ultimate Chorus, for $200, no pedals, cause I'm slowly building it up

Dream Theater - Panic Attack
14 years
Ernie Ball Music Man JP7 signed

Synaptic plasticity by Blotted Science. Or by your command by Devin Townsend i guess, one of the two

Impressive, and nice guitar, any pics?

How long you been playing

Blut Im Auge by Equilibrium is pretty fun - the speed is the hard part. I've transposed much of the synth and string work into one line and that, my friends, is hard. Mostly I enjoy composing and playing retarded hard lines and I recommend that to anyone playing music at all.

I've played 15+ years and mainly rock a Schecter SLS 8 string... but I switch between my Prototype Schecter Blackjack ATX 7 string w/ Floyd Rose trem, Gibson Les Paul Future Edition, two custom Carvins - one is a custom "super strat" and the other is a custom DC400 from before they merged with Kiesel, a Schecter Hellraiser V with another Floyd system, and my Fender active P-Bass.

They're all so shreddy in their own ways... and all have a different pickups, tuning, and string gauges for more variety.

wall-hangers are a must... too much floor space... enough amps already..

How do you find entertainment in playing after so long, where most normal songs are fairly easy?

and het- don't be discouraged if you can't play some harder stuff you write... I'll sit there and write things at 200+ bpm in mostly 16th notes and not be able to play it clean for a month... It's very satisfying when you can practice your own shit every day and crank out epic, soaring metal riffs.

also sweeps - practice them idgaf if you sound like shit but practice them

also also NEVER EVER EVER EVER ANCHOR YOUR PICKING HAND.... unless you're palm muting... then by all means anchor.

Utopia or Immaculate Order by Rings Of Saturn
5 years
Ibanez RG Iron Label 8 string.

Inner Urge - Joe Henderson

Mostly play jazz, studying performance in college.
I have a Deluxe Nashville Telecaster with a Fender Deluxe Reverb amp. Pretty nice tone.

you write your own stuff - most people tell me I'm one of the best guitarists they have seen irl.

I only do covers to warm up with groups... most of the time we sit and listen and figure out entire songs in under 30 minutes, complicated or otherwise. It has forced me to branch out into a lot more neo-classical stuff and folk-metal.

>tfw '74 Fender Vibrosonic Reverb Silver Face with '65 fender speakers and ehx mesa boogie tubes

for $400. sounds so amazing

100w clean tube power

CAFO by Animals as Leaders full speed (on a TAM100 no less) Really not natural to play I don't understand how he came he came up with it at all. (Playing 13 years since teen years.)

Redneck by lamb of god
About 5 years now

That actually is pretty cool that you have that

Recently got into technical death metal so vortex omnivium by obscira and stabwound by necrophagist as well as a few others. Dream theater is always fun too although not as challenging anymore

Can you do that sweep thing? Its fucking weird.

youtu.be/mgm_7I3SuY8?t=2m24s
This

Would you like a Kustom '72 Coupe Hardtop with a BBE maximizer and Korg Pitchblack rackmount tuner run in the FX loop?

Would you like a BBE Benchpress Compressor, Boss DD3, Jext Telez Dizzy Tone Gold, "Larry's Tone Shop" Liquid Lead, MXR Super Badass Distortion, Ibanez JD9 Jet Driver, and an MXR Smart-Gate run before the amp-stage?

I like it... Combine that natural overdrive and any one of the fuzz/distortion pedals and you have a dangerous combo.. even with weak as fuck pickups.

Been playing for 6 or 7 years btw. Kinda feel like ive got as far as i need to with technique now since i can play pretty much anything with very little practice

Still can't do sweep picking, only just learned how to do pinch harmonics

from like 5 years ago

Cool set up, but why remove speaker mesh

Fender makes really great sounding amps, especially for their guitars ;)

I bet you get the greatest, spaciest Jazz tones through that rig.

That's the last I'm talking about yes. Just like with anything start slow and increase speed slowly over time, but that lick... I don't know I practiced it all the time just to say I could do it and I never got any faster until one day by hands just understood. It's not intuitive whatsoever. Fuck that lick.

It was being mic'd up that week for some recording.

Here's another from that week.

Necrophagist - epitaph, 8 years

But why remove the speaker mesh?

because I have decent mics that can handle high decibels and wanted more natural distortion so I was able to mic it up with a few mics really close to the cone.

5 preludes by Villa-Lobos
13 years
Gonna start some barrios this winter
Any classicalfags posting?

this guy gets it
youtube.com/watch?v=38JnZFiRUTo

Oh yeah for sure! I actually use 12-60 strings so the sound is somewhat fatter and I'm thinking about buying a Charlie Chirstian neck pickup for my tele which will make it sound more creamier and crisp.

check out Kalium strings - I just discovered them and decided to try them out a few months ago... just outfitted 8 of my guitars with them.... LOVE the sound, though it may be a bit much for Jazz. I always enjoyed flatwounds or half-rounds for Jazzy things. :D

i kinda wanna get into learning guitar, but last time i tried when i was 16 it felt incredibly fucking slow to start, if i start again what advice would you faggots give me?

Lucretia-Megadeth
Whats hard isnt the notes, its the rythm you gotta keep
Only been playing for 5 months

dont assume you'll git gud immediately, and play some stuff you like, do it for you, before doing it for anyone or anything else

Lucretia is really fun to play, I love the bridge that goes into the solo

Wintersun - winter madness

Children of bodom - kissing the shadows

Been playing since 8th grade and am 24 now

Blackbird - Alter Bridge

It's not very hard, but it's kinda cool. I've been playing for 3 years and a half now.

when i was a teenager i could do la villa strangiato in pieces for recording purposes, that was one of the best i did. i did by tor and the snow dog as a audition for a contracted band but just my fucking luck they went belly up just afterward, so....

Kanjincho by Takeshi Tereuchi
m.youtube.com/watch?v=iQLb3aq-xs4

You metalheads would kick my ass though.

Not pictured is my Music Man 65 head, Gibson and Epiphone Flying Vs and Surf Green Strat. Anyone else from the guitar general in Cred Forums?

whenever I went to Cred Forums, they always acted like pretentious know it alls, and so I quickly got tired of it and stopped going

yeah, i got the same shit there so i don't frequent them

Tornado of Souls, Lucretia, and bits off stuff from Jason Becker's Perpetual Burn Album.
6 years. Not as diligent as I used to be. I got really good within my first 2 years or so and haven't made much progress since.

Black widow of la porte - John 5, 1.5 years
Its not the hardest, but its hard enough, practicing that song really helped me to get actually better at my tremolo picking and well, general speed/shred, looking for practicing sweep picking and playing more cleanly, also I just started studying actual music theory

Cred Forums as a whole or /gg/? i hate Cred Forums as a board but i go for the guitar threads. its mainly beginners asking questions, people asking about their next purchase, "how do i do X mod?", discussion of new models, discussion of certain models, finding good deals and wondering if its worth it or if someone else in the general would be interesting in buying one,(i had a hilarious ordeal with a guy from eastern europe wanting a flying v from Chicagomusicexchange to the point where we heckled their customer support staff to sell it to him) the only issue is theres a blatant troll who post pics of John Fruciante and arguemenst over Fender offset owners and Fender offset haters. overall its an interesting general to frequent

>7 strings
>stupid shape
>Dean

fucking neckbeard trash for edgelords.

Here's a few of mine. Don't have many pics or good ones for that matter. Crappy camera

why shouldn't one anchor their picking hand user?

>fucking neckbeard trash for edgelords.

well show out and let us know what your genius is. don't hold back, you are like Cred Forums, so hateful of anyone that might outplay you. lets see what stock guitar photo your dumb ass can download and then post.

Damn man, you make me jealous, those look really nice, specially the blue ibanez bby
Cheers

that's the difference between self taught and "your parents had enough spare cash to send you to the local guitar store for lessons from the bar band burnout teaching there because he couldn’t bet a real job"

trust me on this, i've known these clowns before

Hard to say which is the most difficult.
But in terms of interest and overall enjoyment,
I'd say either Death - Without Judgement,
or Dethklok - Laser Cannon Deth Sentence

Oh yeah. Been playing for about 10 years.

Oh yeah.
Been playing for about 10 years.

thank you very much. that blue ibby is one of my favorites actually. that and the strat, they both play like butter if you know what i mean

Moonlapse Vertigo - Opeth
6 years for bass, about 5 for guitar.
This 7-string Ibanez: youtube.com/watch?v=dun7KkHd1qA
Generic Fender P-Bass

Fucking love that song. Would love to pick up a 5-string bass so I can play that shit without having to downtune and make it sound like shit.

Blackmore's Night - Possum goes to Prague

1min 10 sec of WTF acoustic coolness.
youtube.com/watch?v=ZJpeyv9ZKQE&list=RDZJpeyv9ZKQE

I own the LTD and a fender stratocaster, the Flying V Gibson is my dream guitar, wish I could get one soon enough
Yeah, your guitars look all pretty nice! good luck Cred Forumsrother

>Blackmore's Night
Ritchie i assume? he was always the baddest MF i every heard. Blackmore's Rainbow was the fucking IT

I'll sell you mine for $550 if you also cover the shipping I'm in Illinois so I don't think the shipping should be too much unless you're in Cali.

>the Flying V Gibson is my dream guitar
i always had problems playing those, the body shape fucked with me and it wasn't comfortable to play for me.

Here's the blue solo

>What's the most difficult or interesting song you can play

I dunno.

>how long have you been playing?

Almost 13 years.

show me the head so i know it doesn't say "Aria Pro 2"

Been playing for over twenty years, don't really do technical stuff. I have more of a blues background. My favourite thing to play is Little Wing. One of the most beautiful pieces of music ever written.

i love when people post stock photos of guitars, about like when people post stock photos of guns and claim they own them.

are you guys even trying anymore?

I can't full speed CAFO because it turns my fingers into a god damn mess, wizardry at its finest.

>>What's the most difficult or interesting song you can play
>Far beyond the sun from malmsteen or come on from hendrix.
>>how long have you been playing?
>About 8 years.

>don't really do technical stuff. I have more of a blues background

kinda like me. i'm self taught, but i always said my teachers were jimmy page and joe perry. so you can kinda guess how long i've been playing

>>Far beyond the sun from malmsteen
most fucking excellent

Agile Septor 727, the amp I use currently is an old 75 watt Fender HOT from the 80's. Nice clean channels and a surprisingly heavy, tight gain channel.

>difficult and interesting song

uhh not the hardest, but a fun interesting one I learned recently. Chimp Spanner - Far From Home

youtube.com/watch?v=uNJBYW2SKjQ

>how long have you been playing

Around nine years.

I have a couple of six strings as well, but they're not noteworthy enough to post here. A secondhand Ibanez RG-something and a shitty Fender Strat knockoff.

Don't really play songs by others, only ever interested in improvisation, "getting the music flow from the brain to the instrument" and recording that

>how long have you been playing?

About 14 years

Yes it is, but it was pretty hard to learn.

>pic is my current amp/box. Mesa is the greatest shit ever.

>Ritchie i assume? he was always the baddest MF i every heard.
I'd guess he still is.
First time I heard him play I said "I want to play guitar.....and I want to play it like that".
2 weeks later I had a cheap strat knockoff I got in a pawn shop.
Fast forward a couple decades.....I got to personally thank him for inspiring me to pick up a guitar when I was invited to one of his parties.
Been invited to several parties since then.

Sup bro, flamenco and classic fag here (also electric and bass).

Classical
9 years.
La catedral.

Electric
7 years
It's not that difficult tho, but Technical Difficulties or Hangar 18

>but it was pretty hard to learn.
i have no doubt, you have my sympathy. you are a bad motor scooter. last song i recorded was sex pistols, so.....

>Fast forward a couple decades.....I got to personally thank him for inspiring me to pick up a guitar when I was invited to one of his parties.
>Been invited to several parties since then

too fuckin cool

Here is my guitars

>Flamenco guitar

Hand made, around 2.000€.

>Ibanez GRG270B-LPM

First electric guitar, decent one for starters.

>Red guitar.

Hand made custom, brandless. Alder body, maple neck, Duncan Distortion, jumbo fret

It sounds like bad choice of wood and pickups at first, but it has a really unique and good sound.
It's a very versatile guitar, mostly using it for prog/death/heavy metal. Cleans are above avg tho, not a fender maybe but I'd give a 8/10

forgot pic

I can't play the guitar, but I have an Ibanex MTM1-BR Mick Thompson Signature. Personally signed by Mick Thompson.

I've been considering learning how to play.

*Ibanez, sorry typo.

>Mick Thompson
who's Mick Thompson? am i showing my age by asking that? i know mick ralphs, and i know mick jones, and i know mick taylor, but i don't know Mick Thompson

Guitarist for Slipknot

>Mick Thompson
ahh, ok, now i understand why i'd want a guitar autographed by mick thompson

from wiki....

"Mick Thompson is an American banker and politician from Oklahoma who is serving as the State Banking Commissioner for the State of Oklahoma. Thompson was initially appointed by Governor of Oklahoma David Walters in 1992, and reappointed by Governor Frank Keating in 1996 and 2000. Governor Brad Henry reappointed Thompson in 2004 and 2008. In 2012, Thompson was reappointed by Governor Mary Fallin"

it's as simple as asking the computoer. just delet systhm 34. gestapo.

>too fuckin cool

Exactly what I kept whispering in my wife's ear at the the first party.
Years later, I still find myself thinking "Holy shit! I'm standing here talking with Ritchie Blackmore!" and the ultimate "Holy shit! I'm here playing Ritchie Blackmore's guitar.....In front of Ritchie Blackmore"

Still Too Fuckin' Cool!

what the fuck is a slipknot? or is that a stupid question? is that like a sheepshank?

idk, hot for teacher, hey joe, over the hills and far away, shit you learn 2 or 3 years into it, then i never progressed, i still play the same shit or maybe some nirvana, i don't think you have to shred to enjoy yourself, maybe to impress people but it's a little boring honestly.
i've played for 11 year now though, i play more piano these days, i've almost got all of nocturne 9 by chopin but ive only been playing a couple years

I think I've made it abundantly clear that I know nothing about guitars or guitarists.

I might be able to play hot cross buns if I looked it up.

"Horizons" By Parkway Drive

ESP KH-202; Epiphone Junior Personally modded.

been playing for almost 14 years now. started on my 13th birthday.

dude, i wasn't making fun of you, i just thought it was funny that the first reference that the internert brought up had nothing whatsoever to do with the guy you were talking about. seriously, it wasn't meant as a hit at you.

Rig Is a B-52 LS-100 through a 4x10 cab

Oh no, I had to look it up when you said that. I spelled it wrong. Sorry.

You have no idea how mad I am at you right now.

Little wing not massively hard but great for me when I was learning new tricks and such, plus I like to improvise over the solos

Wonderful Slippery Thing by The Aristocraits/Guthrie Govan

8 years. My only guitar. Took 6 of those years to save up enough money for

love voodoo chile for that same reason. me and my bad horsey

this is my first guitar ever. my dad bought me this when i was 12. he said, "you learn to play this, and i'll buy you a good one".

i did, and he did. that was a long time ago and i've still got that guitar. and he bought me a 3rd one after that. my dad was a damn good man and stood by his word.

He did not answer the question about anchoring your pick hand. I say do what works and focus on not developing bad habits, I. E. - position your fret hand properly, don't forget to to use your pinky when playing lead, don't play the for what you think other people want to hear, etc.. Most importantly LISTEN. Music is about listening not about how fast you play. Be melodic. Remember it's what you do not play that matters more than what you do play, music is like anything else, it needs to breathe and flow. Speed comes with practice, accuracy is way more important that speed. Play in the dark if you want to learn your fretboard. Push your limits but don't suck when performing live. Feel your music, don't think it. More than anything, practice daily. I have been performing for a over 40 years, I still learn constant, matter y takes time. And don't play shitty gear if you are serious, no matter what you do, you will never be able to polish a turd. Tune your guitar, yes..... It matters.

Typos - mastery takes time. I play the guitar much better than I type

Most of you will consider the best guitar players to be Jimi Hendrixs, Guthrie govan, malsteem ect but I think the raw technical ability of pat smear is better then all these guitar players combined. Pat smear has a diverse range of playing and is a massive influence on players like dimebag darrel and marty Friedman that's why Pat smear is the best guitar player in the world

I always thought Prince was.

Far beyond the sun or Altitudes

Fuck of mate

What's an of mate?

Pat smear is the pioneer of wasting space

What the fuck did you just fucking say about Pat Smear, you little bitch? I’ll have you know he graduated top of his class in guitar mastery, and he's been involved in numerous gigs on all over the world, and has played over 3000 confirmed notes. He is trained in power chords and hes the top guitarist in the entirety of guitar playing history. You are nothing to him but another hater. He will wipe you the fuck out with precision the likes of which has never been seen before on this Earth, mark my fucking words. You think you can get away with saying that shit to me about him over the Internet? Think again, fucker. As we speak He is contacting his secret network of Pat Smear contacts across the north island and your IP is being traced right now so you better prepare for the storm, maggot. The storm that wipes out the pathetic little thing you call your guitar career. You’re fucking dead, kid. He can be anywhere, anytime, and He can out-play you in over seven hundred ways, and that’s just with his pick and left hand. Not only is he extensively trained in chord-scale theory, but he has access to the entire arsenal of the Gibson/Epiphone US factory and he will use it to its full extent to wipe your miserable ass off the face of the continent, you little shit. If only you could have known what unholy retribution your little “clever” comment was about to bring down upon you, maybe you would have held your fucking tongue. But you couldn’t, you didn’t, and now you’re paying the price, you goddamn idiot. He will shit fury all over you and you will drown in it. You’re fucking dead, kiddo.

ive been playing around 20, but i dont play as much as i used too - hardest song? dunno tbh - i just play stuff i like - kyuss, fu manchu, unida, grand funk, zepp, ben howard etc.

as far as gear - i got an early 90's korean epi les paul that i love still, a gibson lp 60's tribute, an esp ltd active pickups, and a few acoustics.

amp and pedal gear is all over the place - ive got a sovtek mig 100, a laney AOR 50, and a peavy studio pro 112 as a prac amp. cabinets - i have a 4x12 tubeworks quad, a 2x12 blackstar cab and a 1x15 black widow bass cab. pedals for daaaaaaays but mostly a EHX metal muff, wah, memory man, phase 90.

sorry for book! cbf with pics.

cliffs of dover - eric johnson, 10 years

Hahahaha holy shit

Not a song but sweep picking. Boy was that annoying.

The whole of something wild by children of bodom
Ive been playing for 10years

just bought a Merlin Seagull as well, good fun

Lol nice fiddle. I think everyone struggled with sweeping