Why does gold still have value in a modern post-cash society?

why does gold still have value in a modern post-cash society?

its many uses

it's shiny and doesn't tarnish

also electronics

also the aliens programmed us to want to dig it up so they can take it and restore their atmosphere

Force of habit. Gold originally gained value for the same reason money has value, namely that governments levied taxes in gold. Gold lost all money-value in 1971 with the end of Bretton Woods, but the perception of value stuck around. Especially since most people believe money really ought to have an external source of value, and unable to reconcile that with the reality (that money lacks external value but people value it anyway), some people proclaim doom and think we'll revert to pre-71.
Those people are dumb.

Because gold IS money

Because people want it and use it

LOL, no

>Gold originally gained value for the same reason money has value, namely that governments levied taxes in gold.
Even your trips cannot save you from how wrong this is. Governments originally levied taxes in goods (ie, crops) and services (ie, compulsory military service). You think John Browne the peasant schmuck kept gold around on his farm, just so he could pay his taxes? Barter was his entire economy, he probably never even saw coins.

Even without the obvious aesthetic value, gold is a wonderful element with many uses.

this is the dumbest post i ever seen

not studying basic chemistry about rare metals.

It's shiny it won't rust/tarnish it's fairly rare and it has practical uses mainly in electronics. Also physical stuff hold more value than electronic money

because like other raw materials it serves as the framework to "price" our money correctly

wot?

Its one of the few non-reactive metals. Might be the only one. Doesn't rust or corrode.

And it fucking glitters. We're all just monkeys chasing after shiny rocks after all.

>hey guys, we've discovered iron, this is post-bronze society now--or the iron age if you want to be less pretentious about it.

raw materials have "supply and demand" Gold is in high demand because there isn't that much of it. Since the price of everything is objective, gold is pretty good because of it's limited supply and almost everything else is more plentiful and anything else more rare then gold is usually REALLY rare.

Because our current system of fiat currency is worthless, and doomed to failure/collapse.

>Since the price of everything is objective

I meant subjective.

Gold bullion is a commodity not a currency, it also has a fixed exchange rate anywhere in the world. When financials assets such as shares and currencies lose value, commodities gain value. They mostly do the opposite to the other. Now I'm sure you can put together now why bullion and money are both important.

>Gold is in high demand because there isn't that much of it.

The scarcity of a resource is only 1 part of what gives a resource value. You're forgetting a huge part: human desire

desire + scarcity = value

Cash will never fade away, its a physical representation of a country's wealth which cannot be deleted like electronic currencies can.

It has value in electronics and medicine as well as jewelry.

thats very unlikely to occur
a true colapse of society never happened so you have no proof that it would be a possibility

yeah gold is pretty much dealt at a fixed exchange rate thats why it makes sense to tie the value of money to it

It may undergo a reset because the federal reserve has overprinted our currency, though it will never truly collapse into nothingness.

Silver is good too. 100 OZ bar pictured.

A true colapse of society has ALWAYS happened. Have you ever studied history?

yeah but nothing near to gold
the amount of silver to reach gold's value.

Nice!

Did you know silver is the most thermally and electrically conductive element in its pure form?

when?

It is an ever changing variable.

Weimar Republic deutschmark, Zimbabwe, Mexican peso, Argentinia?

>has ALWAYS happened

>ALWAYS???

Credit, not barter was his economy. You think John Browne kept 34 1/3 chickens on his farm to trade for his 3 mile away neighbors cow?

Yeah! I rest my scrotum on it, and touch a battery to the bar. Fucking awesome!

nigga what you're replying to?

well its happening right now and probably have been since 1971 so....

I meant the united states, we have different values and are larger making a total collapse basically impossible.

Cash will never go out of fashion because people enjoy the privacy and convenience it provides.

thx faggot

Great!?

>: )

cause you're watching too much fox news and cnn

French revolution, Iraq, China, USSR.

Are you a fucking idiot or what?

Sure. It's aesthetically pleasing, has practical uses, and a finite quantity.

You are a massive idiot.

Those are ALWAYS happening in perpetuity?

>why does paper still have value in a modern post-cash society?

Cuz gold is both a precious metal and currency

>revolution
>collapse

I think he meant that societies collapse all the time. Just look at what's happening in syria right now.

Yep.

everybody in this thread is fucking dumb. money is literally used to represent gold. when you have a bill its literally representing how much gold you have . except the bank hold onto the gold. hence why we have huge vaults full of it at banks. there holding it and giving out money as a placeholder

I know what he meant, it was the way it was stated which offended me so.

It is true societies collapse, although a devaluation of a countries currency is not the main factor in most cases. Political instabilities along and pressure from other countries cause most collapses.

Anything can be money, and anything with value can back representations of money.

It is true in the US some time ago Gold backed the currency, but this is no longer the case.

Google "Fiat Currency"

You are wrong.

All currency is solely based on trust or alternative use of the currency.

Virtual currency has no alternate use at all and paper currency can only be used to light a fire or wipe your as.

Every currency without alternate use suffers inflation and most will undergo hyperinflation at some point of time.
Also in "post-cash societies" the government can use taxes and negative returns to actively take money away from the citizens without them having control over their capital.

So it's pretty realistic to assume that money is only valuable for a limited amount of time. When you realize this it's pretty reational to own at least a small amount of valuable goods that didn't loose that value historically and are easy to move and to trade.

In the past this were always precious metals because they don't age, can be carried, used for jewelry and electronic devices.

So you see it's highly rational to own gold in "post-cash" societies.

It's not post cash, many of us are hanging on to the cash because that's the only way to ensure transactions are not monitored or blocked and you cuckfags who abandon it want to suck the banks dick and be a good robot, banks fail, banks block your cards if anything remotely strange goes on, if you lose your card you are fucked, but cash is constant, can be hidden, cash isn't going anywhere for a long time.

As for gold, it actually has some fucking use and value unlike digital currency which is over produced with very little real assets to back it up.

because of 'they'

It's very stable chemically, it's malleable and extremely conducive, and there's a fixed quantity of it so when used as a currency it doesn't inflate because you can't just make more

I like you!

Preach Cred Forumsrother!

>credit

Found the sneaky Jew.

>thinks banks have huge vaults of gold

It begins Tuesday, September 27th.