Awhile ago a family member died and I finally decided to get the HDD out of their computer and I can't do shit I only...

awhile ago a family member died and I finally decided to get the HDD out of their computer and I can't do shit I only have read permissions and can't view photos or documents

I cannon change the permission
I cannot boot from the HDD (no drivers on HDD for my set up and the computer it was in can fuck off it's a shitty compact little shit)

how can I view the shit on it? (there probably a bunch of pics of Qt 3.14)

Other urls found in this thread:

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Chntpw
youtube.com/watch?v=sehjZsuiYcY
askubuntu.com/questions/154180/how-to-mount-a-new-drive-on-startup
pythonforbeginnersDOMAINcom/concatenation/string-concatenation-and-formatting-in-python
twitter.com/SFWRedditImages

Administrator privileges bro.

I don't have them on the external HDD and can't edit them since I don't have them that's what I'm trying to get around

simply plug it in as a second harddrive to your current pc.

then

Try clicking...
My Computer> Right click the external drive in question> Click 'Properties'.
Click the tab marked 'Security'. Click 'Edit' to change permissions.
If that doesn't work, at the bottom of this window, Click the 'Advanced' button.

n the "Advanced" section at the top make sure you're the "Owner". If you're not then click the "Change" link.
Next, set the permissions for the "Administrators" group to "Full Control". Lastly, and most importantly, make sure you tick the option to Replace all child object permission entries with inheritable permission entries from this object as that'll assign the same settings to all folders and files on the drive.

Copy pasted this shit, worked for me when I swapped pcs.

tried that

have you deleted the system 32.
Also installing windows 6 helps

That's what security is for, Son.

Just make a linux CD to boot with, get the files and go back to using windows.

this

Or alternatively, you can try this:

attrib -r +s "C:\route of the folder you want to change permissions for"

this.

>CD

I don't even have the optical drive hooked up I used its SATA for the HDD and who the hell has blank CD's?

Not that user.

That is OK. The changes in state are related to the permissions not the actual data.

Basically, the settings will be different on the HDD than your current settings on your PC. Which is pretty fucking obvious when you consider it's from a different PC.

why can't you just get the computer and put it back in?

Make a bootable USB stick then. There are plenty of tutorials on YouTube

cause I don't know the password but ill give it a try (I hope the AMD chip doesn't burn the house down since I took its heatsink off)

What was the OS? File system? Unless it's FAT you can't just browse the files you fucking noob.

burn a linux disc and boot to that... view pics and then copy them to a usb. turn off the computer thake the disc out and then reboot and share some pics with your Cred Forumsoy!

Windows xp and not sure

>AMD chip doesn't burn the house down since I took its heatsink off

While it will not burn down the house it is unlikely the CPU will survive more than 1 minute with out its heat sink. Reassemble it or don't turn it on.

The advice this user gave works you simply have to allow it time to redo the attributes on all the files.

You tried to shut it down too soon.

>Windows xp
That's good news for you. Easy to use a linux boot kit to hack the password. It's formatted NTFS, that's why you can't access anything.

well wait and get another heatsink

you can still choke ya chicken with pics from anywhere on here

this should work on, if you are retarded, thats goes on cmd

NTFS can be read by any later version of the OS.

It is just a matter of permissions / attributes.

Download any free recovery software , it will allow anyone to find and view any file on the HDD
Regardless of permissions.
..you're welcome ..

Assuming you have the password. You can't just take an NTFS disk and mount to another instance of OS.

NEEEEEEEEEERRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRDDDDDD

Boot it with Linux

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Chntpw

Boot Linux.
Windows securities dont apply.

It will show up as anothed disk.

OP here I got the system to post but don't know any logins I'll give Linux a try

Use chntpw to blank the password

also mouse doesn't work on the computer

I don't feel like waiting 4-6hrs for linux to download any other ideas?

Use puppy linux. it's 512MB

Find some distro that has a torrent download. Those usually take a couple of minutes.

Use a Jumper and put the disk as a slave

When you are done fucking around with Linux download chntpw. Profit.

Yeah, try Arch Linux. It's the easiest one to install. Pic related teaches you just how to.

Jesus just get a CD or Memory Stick Linux. Boot that shit and copy over.

youtube.com/watch?v=sehjZsuiYcY

Systems engineer here. Don't listen to these morons. Use a backup program, and backup the personal data alone, then you can browse the backed up contents. Use something like FABS.

>Use a backup program
Assumes you have access to NTFS partition. >Bootcamp engineer.

If none of those work (which they probably won't), you can just open it up, and remove the tiny hook to the lower left, on the opposite site of the head. Pretty easy if you have a small philipps screw, and the system stops recognizing a lot of the config, focusing only on the files.

I'm not that dumb

this is the simplest solution

hirens boot cd can wipe any user account password, that includes windows xp.

are you guys serious?

Don't lie, Cred Forumsro. We all know you just did and is just trying damage control now so we won't laugh at you.

>assuming the hdd is fucking encrypted smfh

nah the HDD is just sitting on top of my PSU
it was my aunts computer and the family wanted photos awhile back she wasn't tech savvy at all

help us beat dank souls

or use a linux boot and access all files upon plug in

that picture hurts me fam

I won't lie, I would fuck this

hate to be that guy but memory stick != USB flash storage

Yeah, now you just sounded convincing. Pics or it didn't (actually did) happened.

I got tech gore myself
i guess a hit it quit for me

okay dude just put konboot on a usb, or ophcrack with ophcrack just crack the SAM database file of with kon boot just log on as administrator and type a random pass.

THIS. Helped me a few times.
And it shows you just how secure Microsoft products really are.

Easiest way:
>burn kali to a USB using rufus or whatever
>boot into live mode
>view files

It can't get much easier than that.

nice shoop faggot

I just don't hate her completely because you can clearly see she's at least eating activated almonds.

or*

if that works there's one more hurdle, the wireless mouse doesn't work and I don't have a wired one (cause who the fuck has those?)

wait does she really have a function to concatenate strings is that python? can't u just = "do this" + "that"

don't need a mouse just ask what u need to do and I'll give u keyboard cmd

u don't need kali fucking skid

You must be IT where I used to work that got their network ransomed.

ok ill try puppy linux then kon boot

I hope you're trolling.

no do konboot, it boots after BIOS POST and disables window's log on sec. and u can log in as administrator with random password

You don't, but it's the skid method, hence the "easiest way" as I mentioned. This is because the live mode comes with Gnome3 which is uncannily similar to Windows in many regards; especially file browsing. Idiot.

lol you're a dumbass, gnome3 is nothing like windows GUI. Learn before you babble BS on Cred Forums

This. Boot in linux, mount (if it doesn't automount) the drive, then chmod 777 to change to open permissions.

You're newfag is showing

>waiting 4-6hrs

Rule 87: No matter where you go, there will be someone still on dial up.

not to mention its 3G download bcz of the tools

Windows files are automatically readable, writable and executable. No need to "chmod 777 -R /"

nigger is that your only comeback? to call me a newfag?

There are 0.7GB versions.

just call these guys op

Your such a newfag

iphone hotspot (3G) since internet where I am is shit speed high price and I have unlimited data so I abuse the shit out of it (~50Gb/mo)

go join Robin Williams newfag

That's a blast from the past

PIXELS

Plus ugly bitch.

ok if I do that great im in but how do i change shit so i can view it on my main computer?

Op(no offense op) doesn't know how to Linux hese gonna get the first download he sees off the list. He can download damn small or Ubuntu Linux but no
> lewk at mee I no whet kerri rrinux is im keel!!

Ah okay. Can you write to them, though?

Also, I forgot the -R, thanks. While you're at it, any chance you could tell me how to properly edit fstab for boot mounting instead of it ending up in /media/?

no u

put hard drive in ur main pc, go to bios (should be escape or function key) change boot order to USB first then boot into the XP install

stop pretending ur an er337 hacker please.

777 means readable, writable and executable, so yeah.

Literally a Google search away:
askubuntu.com/questions/154180/how-to-mount-a-new-drive-on-startup

no u

after you can boot into XP restart pc and boot to USB and ascii art that says konboot will scroll then XP will boot, login as admin and type something in the pass field

Go install Gentoo and grow some hair on ur chest nigger

Just. Stop. Talking.

You mean grow it on my neck? jk lols
your such a newfag hahaha go back to 9agag son

This

is that your only comeback?
>le go back to 9agag neeewwfaaag!!!!!111

I mean I know 777 will do that, but are you originally write to the files without changing their permissions?

Wow, whiteknight and too fucking late! You're like a cockroach smeared with whit.

hahaha trolled what a newfag

Not sure what you're asking, but if you "vi anything" and add some text the permissions will remain the same.

>Use something like FABS.

Can confirm, FABS backup has saved my ass tons of times when I couldn't access the hard drive.

kys newfag

no u

This is actually pretty hot.

no u; seriously we need less kalifags living

didn't mean to reply2u;on mobile

Plug in drive
Open drive, go to Users
Right click user folder, go to properties
Click Security, click advanced at bottom
Inherit/Change permissions to allow your local user account, apply

This usually works. If all else fails, load a linux destrr (Puppy linux for instance) on a usb stick, linux gives no fucks to windows permissions

No idea what language you're used to, but I've never coded anything where you COULD do that. I'm also like super-beginner at programming though.

Agreed, but for helping OP it was the most viable method. Fucking wanker.

This would work, if you can wait 2 centuries for Windows to change permissions.

It's all good, I am too.

dudeee gnome3 sucks ass tho at least gnome2 and kali install is big when u can get debian which kali is..soo...im gonna have to put that on the attention seeker card friend.

Could just change permission without applying to subfolders, allows entrance into main folder. Then do the same for the specific folders IE My pictures

Ment to say, once you get to the folder you want full permissions to, then to apply to subs, derp.

python, c/c++, BASIC, fortran(I know how to add stuff and print things that's all), java, I can understand a little assembly

>debian = kali

No, kali is based on debian. Learn your code formatting, skiddy.

I never thought of that, but it's still easier to just use Linux.

also pythonforbeginnersDOMAINcom/concatenation/string-concatenation-and-formatting-in-python

Yeah any linux is always better to just load up. Ignores windows crap pretty much. Love using it to recover data for clients. Dunno if OP had the skill so, best I can offer is the Folder by folder method

It's late, Kali is Debian with more tools.

also its == because you're testing for equality not assigning data to it, although I suppose you could do *kali = &Debian; but it would be better to do something like class Kali(Debian):

~50g is abuse. I downloaded 250g in the last 48 hours.

nevermind it's ruby.

That's Ruby.

>Unlimited data

Thats something I have never seen in Canada but I wish someday it will arrive.

> you are newfag is showing
kek

Do you just choose between "you're" and "your" hoping you get it right? Cause you got both wrong there chap