Hi. I'm 24 years old, and I've been in the us navy 5 years. The only time I feel happy anymore is when I'm drunk...

Hi. I'm 24 years old, and I've been in the us navy 5 years. The only time I feel happy anymore is when I'm drunk. Lately people will end conversations with me by asking "Are you ok?" or "is everything alright?" or similar shit. I've found myself just sitting or laying at home doing nothing and my wife is worried. She says she thinks something is wrong with me. I'm having trouble hiding my depression. I could drink more and be happy, but I already drink every night. So what's worse, depression or alcoholism? Any of you guys dealing with similar shit?

Bump

I don't know what you experienced, but I won against my depression in 2 years of heavy smoking and thinking about everything. Alcohol is just to dirty to drink every day I think. Just take your time, chill and slowly start to do things with friends again. Most importantly is, don't stop fucking your wife, you don't want her to leave

Have been for years, I prefer alcoholism. At least I'm happy. I can still function in society being drunk. I have a wife and half decent job. But then again, that's me.

Get therapy. You know where the alcohol thing is going to end - at some point even that won't help anymore, and you'll take your pent up frustration out on someone. That someone may or may not be your wife. Get your shit sorted before you get to that point.

I noticed that when I was drinking everyday it made me depressed and anxious in general, which made me drink even more at times, until I saw what caused it. Try not drinking for like a week and see how it feels.

25M w/three kids here
I feel about the same as you man
as a matter of fact i'm drinking right now trying to forget that I exist.
and for the life of me I can't figure out what the fuck's wrong with me.
I feel like it's not normal to hate one's own children, but that's as far as I've gotten.
every time I get in to any sort of deep thought, I realise that my life and everyone in it would be much better off if I had just never had kids in the first place...
I mean, fuck.
I didn't even want them.
but my opinion (facts, more like) didn't matter to their mothers.
so here I sit.
drinking my existence away.
my heart goes out to you bro.
chin up.
don't make the same mistakes that I made.

>what's worse, depression or alcoholism?

Both.

Is pic related wife? Post more.

Also yeah I drink all the time and have trouble finding value in my life, I play world of Warcraft a lot.

more

Absolutely. Go talk to someone. Find a councillor and help them help you.

Alcohol abuse often comes from depression. Alcohol makes stuff worse.

Everyone struggles from time to time. Some of us struggle harder. You are not alone. Go talk to someone.

This exacly what stan was going through in south park episode your getting old

whats your rate? where are you stationed?

whe they ask 'are you alright' they're not trying to end the conversation, they're trying to start it.
is there a reason you're not happy when you're not drunk?

25 yo and 3 kids... no words

czeched
and don't be a douche, it wasn't a choice.

And this is the moment Cred Forums got too real for me. Yep, good night internet.

Life situation is one thing but look into what dopamine is and how it affects you

Could be that if you have been drinking long enough, your dopamine might have been affected, so you need alcohol for it and otherwise everything is dull and boring and doesn't seem worth doing

It helps when you know what's going on and how to deal with it

>So what's worse, depression or alcoholism

Implying that you'll be just one or the other.

The more depressed you are, the more inebriated you'll want to be.

The more inebriated you are, the more depressed you'll be.

They will feed into each other. Alcohol also strains the body quite a lot, consider that you may causing a degree of "physical" depression.

It is irresponsible of you to continue down the path you're going, specifically because you'll be fucking up the lives of others like your wife in the process.

You know you've got a problem, you claim that other people you talk to seem to sense that you've got a problem, you've got to go address the problem. You need to let your wife know what the deal is, and if she loves you she will support you.

If she doesn't love you, she'll leave but you'll be doing yourself a favor in the long run if she leaves now.

Personally, I'd cool it with the alcohol and maybe smoke some weed occasionally for some perspective. You need to "re-learn" how to enjoy yourself sober. Which also means coming to terms with your life and yourself.

I've been there my dude, and I've got quite a few military buddies who've been there too. Hang in there, and get help while it can still help you.

If your life is in shambles, you'll feel no urge to ever recover. Use your wife and your career/aspirations as reasons to fix yourself.

Sup navy fag, marine fag here. I was going through the same shit before deployment. Drank every day, pt went down, tried to go to the relief society, didn't help much. Just a bunch of classes. Honestly, the best way I can tell you to get over alcoholism is to spend time with your wife. I'm not talking about sitting around the house watching tv, because then you'll get bored and wana drink. Go on a mini vacation with her. On other weekends, get out and just walk around with her, go to the nearest city and walk around all day. I only say to do this with your wife because she'll be morally supportive and she'll help you get over it. As far as through the week, as much as it sucks, go to the gym. I know you'd rather kick your feet up and watch tv and kill a twelve pack, but you going to the gym will not only tire you out, it'll get you back in shape, and it'll make your wife happy, and it'll start putting money back in your account. Since I quit drinking, I no shit see $250 more a month in my savings. Hope this helped you out navy.

All i can say is the world does need you. 32 sever Depressive, 5 years Navy, one kid divorced ( she asked me for divorce in the car when i was discharged for attempted suicide). You are sick remember that, dont expect people to understand. It may be for ever. I play lots of games MMOs and smoke weed. When you have nothing to do get out do not stagnate yourself. Good luck you just unlocked hard mode in life.