Hey Cred Forums how can I tell if my liver is enlarged? How would a doctor palpate the liver?

hey Cred Forums how can I tell if my liver is enlarged? How would a doctor palpate the liver?

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=-u2c36sRRK8
twitter.com/AnonBabble

> ask /b how a doctor would do anything

go to a doctor you fucking degenerate
/thread

pull in your belly, post pic

we learned to scratch for the liver, you put a stethoscope onto where you suspect the liver to be, put something solid ( we mostly use a bland steel rod, but you can use any solid material) up the rectum and scratch with a fingernail on it. The liver dampens the scratching noise very good in comparison to the intestines, that contain a bit of air and so you listen for the dampening under your stethoscope. Thats where the edges of your liver are.

with your hands
with his hands

how should this look though?

didnt work

How old are you?
If you're relatively young you won't find many symptoms. If you're 30+ you'll probably have developed something by now. Excess bile, gall stones, etc.
And the obvious, dull pain on your right side just under the ribs.
The live is a fucking powerhouse tho. It can take a lot shit, and an enlarged one is rather rare. Unless you mean fatty liver, then that's a whole different set of issues. That being said, since it's a bad ass organ it fights till it's dead, so symptoms that do come, means shit has hit the fan.
Just go to a doctor and ask for blood tests and an ultrasound. That'll give you your answer.
How I now: recovering alcoholic.

I'm 28 years old and have been drinking too much the past few years. At least for the last year at least 2l of beer a day. I have an upcoming medical exam and am wondering how my liver is doing. That's why I'm asking :)

>degenerate
Hide and ignore Cred Forums posters

Pain, loose yellow stools, bruises and cuts don't heal quickly. Those are just a few of the early symptoms.
Just go on a bi weekly fasting cleanse for about two months if you're afraid. Like I said, the liver is a monster. It can bounce back easily. Unless it's cirrhosis. Which can't reverse.

american piss beer or real beer? how much alcohol does it have?

to be honest, you will not find anything at that age, friend of mine drinkes like you do every day as a farmer since at least 5 years, and there is nothing to find, and the moment you do find something you are in way too deep already.

Purchase LIV 52. Indian version. It repairs liver damage.

Look up "percusing over liver"

It most places, and where the liver is, percusing would yeild sound referred to as "tympony" higher pitched than if you percused over your sternum.

If it the sound is dull, there may be reason for concern. Also, research clinical manifestations of "elevated AST and ALT" if your liver is hardened, you'd likely have both.

yeah I knew this...I have to cut down anyways...

That's good to hear. Beer is mostly Heineken so around 4-5%. 2-3 liters a day I'd say.

Ok, thanks. Yeah I knew about the liver enzymes. This is hard to check by myself though lol

Even if your liver is by measurable standards "okay" the drinking will not only destroy your liver over time, but your kidneys as well. You'll develope hypertension (high blood pressure) if you haven't already. You may end up on dyalysis, which is crazy intensive, and if you get yourself to any of the above mentioned states and need a transplant, they'll demand proof that you haven't drank for like six months or something like that. So if you end up in an ER puking blood because you've developed esophageal varices, or your kidneys have shut down beyond repair, they aren't going to give you a transplant.

meh I was joking up there but its easier than hearing it like this guy said. basically you lay on your back, relax your belly muscles, push your fingers into your belly directly under the right rib cage, then breathe in and hold your breath and you will fell your liver push under your fingers from the top. Feels like a solid but raw steak in comparision to the soft intestines. Should protrude about 5cm / 2 inches under the rib cage and be smooth.

if it's way bigger, hard or rough to the touch, that would be a bad sign.

Second test is gallbladder: while stil lying there, holding your breath in you push your fingers from the right sight under the liver (like 3 cm under the ribcage) if you feel a sharp pain, that might be a stone

every single day or binging on weekends?
i drink a lot but mostly on weekends

Only two litres a day for just a few years?

You'll do fine.

can't really tell whether it's a rib pushing down or the liver. But it'd be really hard if so, I don't think it is. Anyway thanks for the answer

every day

alright, thanks then

I drink but lite. Easy on the liver. Shit is mostly water. 4.2 abv

youtube.com/watch?v=-u2c36sRRK8

This is a misconception. Just like the myth that everyone who drinks heavily will develope fatty liver and cirrhosis.
Generally alcoholics have poor diets, or drink while eating. Or don't drink enough water, they are just unhealthy to begin with. And most complications aren't caused by the alcohol consumption it's the deficiency that follows.
I drank about 10 tall cans of beer a day on average, sometimes more, sometimes less. When I went to my doctor he said my liver enzymes were all ascue, and asked about my drinking habits.
Told him and got all sorts of tests. Everything was perfect, except my enzymes. Because I only drank in the evenings , but ate extremely healthy and worked a physical job, plus drank tons of water.

just measured blood pressure.

125/72, heart rate 69. Guess I'm fine

this

Do you remember what levels in U/l your enzymes were?

That has nothing to do with a liver.

I know. Was referring to the guy talking about hypertension and esophagus varices. Also actually it does when referring to portal hypertension.