Hey B

Hey B.
I'm not a fluent English speaker, so i wanted to ask, what is grammatically wrong in this sentence "The suspect just sat and stared into empty space while the witness gave his testimony."?
Hope you can help.

As the witness
Was giving

Because the action isn't finished yet

Feels like it needs a semi colon...Or to be restructured into two sentences...

*as the witness give
Or ...
Srx

I'm a native English speaker, the sentence looks fine to me.

Thanks guys. :D

I would word it this way: "The suspect sat quietly and stared into empty space while the witness gave his testimony."

While i have you guys here, how about this one? :)

The shopkeeper had earned a lot of money that day, but he had already put most of them in the safe.

"The shopkeeper has made a lot of money that day, most of which, he had already stored in his safe."

Money is a singular noun. Should be it, not them.

Thanks mate

You assume the gender of the witness. That's what's wrong with the sentence. Check your microaggressions.

The sentence could be improved slightly as the other anons replied, but I wouldn't say there is anything grammatically incorrect with how you have written it

Correction on my post: "The shopkeeper had earned plenty of money that day, most of which. he had already stored in his safe."

Okay, once again thanks guys.
Do you want to help with a few more maybe, I'm having a hard time in this.

Ugh, I messed up again. My son fell out of his chair in the middle of typing my correction.

"The shopkeeper had earned plenty of money that day, most of which, he had already stored in his safe."

"The suspect's mother looked angrily at her son when she heard he had threatened the shopkeeper with a knife."

Awesome!
Just two more to go! :D

The suspects accomplice had admitted that he had waited in the car

"The suspect's accomplice admitted he had waited in the car."

Awesome!
Then just the last one.

Finally, realized the suspect that he had to plead guilty.

"n the end, the suspect knew he had to plead guilty"

Correction: "In the end, the suspect knew he had to plead guilty."

Who realized, you or the subject?

Thanks so much guys! :D

The subject.

Or simply:
"Finally, the suspect realized that he had to plead guilty."

Then fix the word order.

Much better than my answer. Nice.

same, english is very forgiving.

+1 ignore the others

also accurate. These are very subtle problems.

That's not incorrect, if you mean 'he had admitted' - in the past. But if the story is told in the present tense, then 'the ... accomplice admitted' is better.

OP, in exchange for doing your homework for you, will you tell us where you are from?

"Tyrone's mother looked angrily at her son when she heard he had threatened the shopkeeper with a knife."

Fixed that for you OP.

Of course. :D

Well I'm from Denmark, but living in Germany. :)

Was this to help you write something, or correct something you had already written before and had been marked?

Both in some way, I'm still writing, but a good part of what I've already wrote was marked by my teacher, the most of it was I able to clarify by myself, but some of it were a bit harder.

But I'm still writing now. :)

Good luck with the story bro.

Thanks mate. :)

Best of luck, was a pleasure and interesting to see the problems they give you. You must know that they are subtle and difficult. I believe, as a native american english speaker, if you said any of them in the states, you would be understood grammatically with very little difficulty. If you can speak this well already, concentrate on your accent because your grammar is very good. Unless you want to be a translator, in which case it's probably good to get these specifics down. But you probably already can handle grammar better than many native speakers.

This user has you covered.