Anyone here drive for Uber?

Anyone here drive for Uber?
I'm waiting on my background check and was curious of your experiences as well as the pros and cons of being a partner.

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=mT08yzbC-s8
turbotax.intuit.com/tax-tools/tax-tips/Small-Business-Taxes/Business-Use-of-Vehicles/INF12071.html
help.uber.com/h/f7385bf5-1748-4fd0-a57f-3d9b62facc45
mileiq.com
twitter.com/NSFWRedditVideo

Bump

tits, timestamp, or gtfo

bump for interedast. i got lots of free time but not much money. i like driving. i think i might be an uber driver too.

I'm a guy in my twenties. Blow me, bitch.

Been thinking of ubering for some extra cash...what does the background process entail?

if you guys are smart :

> uber on side
> save all money
> buy autonomous car in 10 years
> dedicate the car to pure UBER
> use profits to buy more
> own fleet of self driving uber taxis
> sell company and retire

You expect the US to be stable in 10 years, you're the real joke here.

I drove for a while. Til some guy pissed in my car. He had to pay for damages but it was still a pain in the ass.

the fuck do you think this has anything to do with USA? do you know that economies and UBER exist outside of your country?

bump

USA is every countries money maker. You better have held on to that cash cause once we're gone, you're on your own. GL

Go to college instead. You'll hate driving degenerate people around town. Go get some real skills.

I've been doing it for 3 months and my main tip is, depending on your city, make sure you sign up for Lyft too. In some cities, people tend to prefer one or the other. I was kind of struggling with Uber, sometimes I'd be stuck somewhere for an hour with zero ride requests. Turns out that all the riders were just using Lyft. In either case, I recommend running both apps at the same time.

Another benefit of Lyft is that they use a time algorithm, so you'll never go a whole hour without any ride requests. They will prioritize you if you've been waiting longer. However, with Uber, you MUST be located closest to the ride request or else you won't get any rides. This kind of sucks if you are trying to work the suburbs and there are other drivers on all sides of you.

Different kinds of rides:
-rides to the airport (hard to predict, but tend to pay well)
-rides from the airport (you have to wait in a queue off airport property in my city, which kind of sucks, but when you do get a ride request, it's usually pretty good)
-rides around town for errands (people who don't own a car and need to go to the store - these are the suckiest, usually people are only going a few blocks and don't tip)
-commuting to/from work (tend to be short to medium, but these people do tip)
-drive people OUT TO parties/bars around 7-9pm on Fridays, 4-9pm on Saturdays - I kind of don't like these kinds of rides, riders are way too entitled and obnoxious, usually a little buzzed and they don't tip
-drive people HOME FROM parties/bars around 12am-2am - I avoid this, although it's possible to really work Uber's surge pricing if you don't mind dealing with drunk people throwing up in your car

They check your name against public records for criminal convictions and they also check your driving record. You're never fingerprinted, as you would be for a more thorough criminal background check.

This kind of thing can largely be avoided by only driving during the day.

>Go to college instead.

I would never recommend driving Uber instead of college. I do it because I graduated from college and it's taking a while to look for a good job. It's a good way to pay the rent without committing to a more serious job. This is keeping me out of a shitty temp job in an office.

This would be a side job, dumbass. I'm already waiting for a QA analyst job.

I don't live near an airport. Only airport I live near is PHL.

My shit is sealed. What can they find then?

you have to tip for uber? what the fuck

you don't tip? fukkin cheap ass nigga

for most regular services yea i do, but didn't know uber was one that expect tips.

Uber VIP here (i only get 4.8+ rated drivers), make sure you give good service and talk to your clients. If you drop below a certain rating, you'll eventually be let go.
Some drivers have a box of tissues, mints, gum, a bottle of water. That shit is gold.

>I don't live near an airport. Only airport I live near is PHL.
That's irrelevant. You can start your day in one part of the city and end up 20 miles away, just by nature of continuous ride requests. There's no reason to only drive in the same area where you live.

Listen, dubs guy, I live in a small town. PHL is over 30 miles from here. If they want a fucking ride to an airport, take a goddamn taxi. There's plenty.

is ubering part time worth the money when you take into consideration the massive wear and tear costs on your car?

i don't know how much mileage you can average a week but that's got to add up pretty quickly

This is the first I've heard of that too. Now I'm an asshole?

So you wouldn't tip a taxi driver?

At least you know that. I had a very entitled woman rate me 1 star during my first week of driving and it seemed to take forever to get my rating back up. Too many riders don't understand that when they rate drivers less than 5 stars, it basically means they think a driver should be fired.

i dunno about tipping when the person receiving hte money is entitled to the majority of it

tipping seems to be for someone who earns hourly wage at a shit job

If you live in a small town, you may not be able to drive for Uber by virtue of them not operating in your market.

Would you rather drive for a pizza place and get shot?

They do, dumbass. Do you even drive for them?

exactly this, i can sympathize with a taxi driver considering they have to get a special permit and insurance, but an uber driver isn't bogged down by any of the bureaucracy. its just greed.

are the only 2 jobs available to you a pizza delivery driver and UBER driver?

I'd actually go with pizza because i see no difference in someone getting in your car and shooting you for your money or doing it when you are at their door

See

The only other time I've used a taxi of any sort was with Mears. The experience was so awful I sure as hell wasn't going to tip the driver. But with Uber, I assumed it was like what said. I don't carry cash anyhow, and Uber doesn't seem to have the option for adding a tip post-ride.

Bar work. Work at a late night store. Sell shit on eBay. etc etc etc

you didn't answer my question at all about the costs of car maintenance vs uber income

i dont think you should tip uber drivers unless they go above and beyond

giving them a good rating is probably just as good as a tip anyways

kill. you're. self.

>tip
i thought that is automatically added. There has never been a place in the app to tip.

Dont you have to own a 2015/2016 car to drive for uber?

jesus christ fam what you want? a fucking blowjob??

Pretty sure it has to be a model made in the last 10 years. IE, 2006 or newer.

Kill you are self too

you started a shit thread. blow. me. bitch. then KYS

typical answer of a retard

This is about the most accurate description I've seen:
youtube.com/watch?v=mT08yzbC-s8

>tip
>tip
>tip
>tip
>tip

tips get automatically applied when they run your cards faggots.

>i dunno about tipping when the person receiving hte money is entitled to the majority of it
This is really a misconception. With short rides, Uber's actual commission, after they do all their funky math with booking fees and upfront costs, is closer to 50%.

I had a ride last week where I drove a guy about 3 miles to Starbucks, waited for his order, then drove him back to his office. These sorts of rides are a little questionable. We only make about 10 cents per minute for waiting, but I'll usually wait if it's only 5 minutes or less. Including the time it took to drive to get the guy, the whole ride was 40 minutes long and I ended up making a grand total of $6. He, of course, did not tip. I turned down two rides while I was waiting for him inside, but wasn't able to get another ride request until 45 minutes later, so that hour, I earned less than minimum wage. Granted, not all rides are like that, but if you're taking a short ride with an Uber driver, you really should tip them. They're getting A LOT LESS than 80% or 75% (advertised amount for drivers) for those short rides.

do you tip a contractor who comes into your house to fix shit? no because they already are charging you money based on their services

like i said tipping is for wage slaves not independent contractors

>the massive wear and tear costs on your car?

You can take a deduction from your taxes to help cover this, you know.

>They do, dumbass. Do you even drive for them?
I don't know where the fuck you live, idiot. In my city, you can drive 20 miles anywhere and be outside of Uber's market.

Pros: work whenever you want and or need to. Paid on Wednesday of the week.
Cons: when you get a bad rating, it stays with you score of ratings. Dumb asses who requested pick up are not where they are from last location.
Stay alerts, hang low of conserving your fuel. It's a give and take of knowing good and bad timing.

2 months of Uber Driver, Amarillo TX

>exactly this, i can sympathize with a taxi driver considering they have to get a special permit and insurance, but an uber driver isn't bogged down by any of the bureaucracy. its just greed.
Consider that Uber's rates are designed to undercut taxi drivers, and then Uber takes a massive cut of the loot- up to 50% for short rides.

I tip your mom.

>He, of course, did not tip.
>uber driver doesn't know how uber works

what a surprize

Did you not see the part where I said that I'm waiting for a QA analyst job? I'd likely be making more than you would. But I love money.

You're supposed to tip in cash with Uber. With Lyft, you can tip through the app.

2006 or newer.

Nope. But it can't be a riced out fucking beater either.

tax credits help but they never come close to covering costs and you only see them at the end of the year

also what tax credit is this? self employed?

it's spelt 'supries' m80 with an 's'

No, they do not.

actually as far as I know, it's against the rules of Uber to hand your driver any paper money. so either hes talking about in app tipping (which I didn't know about) or he's fucking people out of their money.

Are you ?

You're an idiot. Also wrong, but the fact that you're an idiot is worse. It means you can't learn.

yea and i have to answer my customers questions on my day off with zero compensation

welcome to planet getshiton

>tip with cash
lol no faggot
that is never how uber has worked

People like to cite the tax credit for wear and tear on your car, but they don't seem to understand what it means. Hmm...

turbotax.intuit.com/tax-tools/tax-tips/Small-Business-Taxes/Business-Use-of-Vehicles/INF12071.html

>actually as far as I know, it's against the rules of Uber to hand your driver any paper money.
That's Lyft.

Just stop posting.

>Uber app does not include a tip when billing you for a trip fare.
>If you decide you would like to tip, your driver is welcome to accept.

Can you use a mileage app and claim that on your taxes or is that against Uber policy?

Can you use a mileage app and claim that on your taxes or is that against company policy?

explain this then faggot

shit i guess you're right.

when I used Uber most of the time every fucking driver had a hard time finding where I was at and took long ass routes to further their payout. so I guess I probably still wouldn't have tipped.

Uber doesn't control how you file your taxes, the IRS does.

The advice that has been given to me is that, if you make a lot of expensive repairs to your car, replace tires, or generally spend more on maintenance than the standard oil change and minor parts replacement, then you should go through with calculating your gas mileage and add in all the other stuff (car wash, repairs, parts replacement). If not, then just use the standard mileage deduction.

that's up to your governments taxing policies

here you can only claim mileage tax credits if you are self employed which i don't think apply to uber drivers

ubertaxi maybe?

Uber calculates fares differently in every market, and also for their various services. Since this is a 2.42 mile trip that cost you $12+, I'm pretty certain that it was NOT UberX, which is usually around 90 cents per mile, plus booking fee. I'm less familiar with Uber's other services, but it's possible that UberXL or UberSelect/UberBlack charge that automatically. Most likely answer is as suggested. It's probably UberTAXI, which, if you follow the link I posted, they even say the following:

>Where available as a vehicle option, uberTAXI is an exception. uberTAXI connects riders with licensed yellow cabs, and includes the option to set a gratuity percentage added to your trip fare.

pic very related

>and took long ass routes to further their payout.
You may have perceived that's what they did, but Uber drivers are barely paid anything per minute, unlike taxi drivers. We get around 90 cents per mile driven and around 10 cents per minute. Even if it took 20 extra minutes to get there, that would only be about $1.80 extra that's billed to you (the driver only gets 75-80% of this), whereas that 20 minutes could have been much better spent on a new ride.

It does.

>no need to tip
Is very different from what you were claiming earlier in the thread that tipping was not allowed or automatically included in the fare. See the company's official policy.

Non-Americans need to seriously FUCK OFF out of this thread. We tip in America. Fucking deal with it, nerds.

see

Keep reading. See: and

Tip rating uber drivers:

*** = average.

The vast majority of your rides should be 3 star. That's what average means.

** = below average
*** = above average

The next number of rides should be raltively few three and four stars.

* = driver got in an accident
***** = driver gave you a blowjob

that suck for you uber drivers

uber completely changed their stance on tipping and now drivers are expecting a tip. meanwhile never letting the passengers know and not even offering tipping in app.

kek
who carries cash? especially in uber?

There's an app I found when I was in real estate school called MileIQ

mileiq.com

I've never carried cash. Always debit and credit cards. But those CC's are maxed out so good luck with that shit.

My friend who does it says he gets BJ's and sex at least once a week from doing Uber/Lyft? Im sure not everyone could get it once a week but are there any sex stories out there? how easy/hard is to due?

>He, of course, did not tip.
why are you expecting a tip, you aren't a taxi service. you are paid at a higher rate.

You know what also sucks for Uber drivers? That people like are common.

The way Uber treats driver ratings is that if a driver's average rating ever falls below 4.6, that driver is deactivated without notice and they can no longer earn any money driving for Uber. Riders don't understand that rating a driver anything below a "5" means that they basically think that driver should be fired from the platform.

Hey, I agree that most rides are going to be average, but I wouldn't want to fire a driver for giving me an "only average" ride. Until Uber changes their ratings system, you're doing your driver a huge disservice by rating them 4 or lower.

Been driving in Boston for over a year. Full time.
Average $25/hr. 4.92 rating.
They recently introduced mandatory surges x1.2-1.5 between 4-6pm.
Also just introduced a bonus $60 if you complete 25 rides before 4am friday.

Wouldn't recommend full time unless you live close to a major city.

>you are paid at a higher rate.
That's a good way to tell everyone that you don't know how much taxi drivers are paid, nor how much Uber drivers are paid.

Don't need it full time but thanks for the input. You get paid every week?

If it's so bad then don't do the job. By continueing to drive for them you are 100% responsible for your bad working conditions. Also you don't deserve any tip. You essentially are a beggar when you whine for not beeing tipped.

its not about tipping its about when tipping is required

the worst I've seen is wedding shit where a solo photographer will charge you a lot of money and then add on a "mandatory 15% gratuity", that's just blatantly exploiting the tip system

Tipping isn't mandatory on Uber. No, it's not about that. We already addressed this in the thread. Stop trying to force this.

Yo fuck wedding photographers. Especially if they're guys. If they're cute chicks I might flirt with them after I get some liquid courage.

Every week on Wednesday but there is an instant pay option. Costs 50 cents unless you have a checking account w uber

This is true, i don't know. But i take uber and taxis all the time. I know drivers are paid at a higher rate based on all the conversations i've had. I've had uber drivers decline tips before and tell me "that's not how uber works, all charges go to your card"

if you haven't noticed the discussion on tipping went beyond Uber, if you weren't in that then ignore what i'm saying

Hey, can I ask you about that? I noticed the instant pay thing a few weeks ago, but I can't figure out how it would work. Do they do some kind of reverse charge to your debit card? I can't figure out how they can pay me through giving my debit card number.

>the discussion on tipping went beyond Uber,

It's basically side money for me and I enjoy the drunk married women who are all touchy-feely and the coeds who smell good look good and like to go for a fast food run at 3am. I always end up getting at least 1 45+ ride to take some ladies or a drunk ass couple back home during a surge. The several phone numbers I've gotten from single ladies and the impromptu dinner date and oral sex one night didn't hurt either. Those are the things that keep me going. As long as gas stays fairly stable and doesn't go up too much I'll keep doing it. I do wish Lyft was in my area but I think they do not go into new markets as quickly as Uber.

It's an option on the app. Under earnings.
They just reduce your payment by 50 cents.

Lots of fucking I mean this one bitch solid 6/10 wants a ride back to her pad shes drunk taking a hit and asks me to come up with her. I follow her up and appreantly her gf who is also a 7/10 want to have threesome, fuck my brains out spaggitie sauce everywhere, they pay me a special tip I leave. Never had so much sex in my life.

But I thought you had to give them a debit card for them to pay you instantly.

That's only if you don't have an Uber card through GoBank....which has turned out to be a good option.

It's the same checking account you would use to get paid normally.

after an uber driver told me that, i rarely give below 4.

if their car stinks, i'll give them a 3 tho. If they get completely lost picking me up and dropping me off, also 3.

what did they rate u tho

>if their car stinks, i'll give them a 3 tho. If they get completely lost picking me up and dropping me off, also 3.
Fair enough. When I was just starting out, I ended up getting completely lost picking someone up a couple times. I remember I just canceled those rides because I knew a low rating was probably deserved.

Do you ever drive drunk chicks that want to get frisky?

>being this mad over a post

grow up

This is really not a thing. Stop trying to force it.

It happens but not nearly as often as they're saying.

Maybe not for ugly uber drivers.

How does it feel to be a cuck and give too high of a rating than they deserve?

>yfw this is what murricans actually believe

If you're a good driver, socially fine and such, drive on lyft. The money isn't that much worse and the people and working conditions are worlds apart.
Source: Incredibly satisfied Lyft driver

the fuck? 3 stars mean average, if someone drives me around and doesn't piss me off they get average rating

if someone is playing a fucking guitar while their gf gives me a blowjob then thats 5 star service

the fuck is uber thinking

Very funny

It kind of depends on the city. Where I live, Uber and Lyft both started only about 2 or 3 years ago and customers use them both about equally.

1 star = very fucking bad, why are you an uber driver?
2 star = car smells, and you have shitty attitude
3 star = car smells, or very lost, or shitty attitude
4 star = average ride
5 star = funny/great attitude or knew how to avoid bad traffic.

Can you still be an uber with a dui convictuon?

3 star is average. Not 4. Your system is stupid.

Probably not, but it doesn't cost anything to apply and try to find out.

Are you a millennial?

no, gen x

How fucked up of a ride can I give some say I just want to get the worse possible ratings. Also considering you are an independent contractor dosent a huge percent of your income go to taxes?

so, a 5/10 girl is average?

There's nothing unnatural about having your own rating system that you thought up for yourself, but Uber has their own rating system too. Here's how they apply ratings to drivers:

5 stars = Satisfactory ride to some degree

4 stars = Something seriously wrong, will result in firing the driver if they get an average rating of anywhere below 4.6 stars

3 stars = Something seriously wrong, will result in firing the driver if they get an average rating of anywhere below 4.6 stars

2 stars = Something seriously wrong, will result in firing the driver if they get an average rating of anywhere below 4.6 stars

1 star = Something seriously wrong, will result in firing the driver if they get an average rating of anywhere below 4.6 stars

>How fucked up of a ride can I give some say I just want to get the worse possible ratings.
Most people would probably ask you to stop the car and let them out.
>Also considering you are an independent contractor dosent a huge percent of your income go to taxes?
It's the same income brackets you use for any other type of work.

Ever had sketchy people? I've always been worried about the possibility of some crazy stabbing me or something.

Wouldn't mind getting my D sucked.

Yes. Of course. What to you is average?

3 /10 = below average
5/10 = average
7 / 10 = above average
10/10 doesn't exist in real life

wtf is this shit about tipping? tipping isn't mandatory faggot

not even b8

what's wrong with uber wanting the best drivers only?

Not yet. You've got to think that there's an initial prerequisite of needing to own, know how to use, and be up-to-date with the newest "hip" apps to use on a smartphone.

7/10 obviously

it being a girl automatically adds 2 because i'm not gay like you faggot

i just signed up for lyft and got my shit together today

5/10 = 50% of all the women you see
7/10 = 15% of women

stupid as fuck to have 5 stars where only one matters

uber clearly wants an unbiased review.

If the system was how you describe then uber would just use a binary thumbs up thumbs down system.

When do you perceive that I said it was mandatory? I'm complaining about how short rides pay almost nothing, so when riders don't tip on a short ride, our earnings as drivers drops way down for that hour.

The problem is that Uber doesn't communicate their ratings system to riders. In a face-to-face service type job, most customers are going to end up rating 5 stars - that's just how it works, so it generally works out fine. But a lot of people do have their own standards for how to hand out ratings and to a lot of people, 5 stars means "going above and beyond," like maybe offering free water bottles and candy. There's nothing wrong with those people having their own standards, but Uber can't expect to throw these two kinds of ratings together and get a meaningful sort of result. At minimum, customers need to understand that 4 stars or lower = they think their driver did such a bad job that he should be fired for it. If this was communicated, I think that even some of those picky customers would give 5 star ratings for even an average ride.

The system IS how I describe, but Uber DOESN'T use a binary rating because they are a terrible company.

They're worth billions of dollars. I think they know what they're doing.

You're not understanding the problem.

that's not a problem, that's a strategic business tactic to ensure their drivers are liked by people without monitoring every ride.

uber es baratisimo en CF.. ademas el chifer te invita escabio! jajaj ojala todos los tacheros fuesen asi..

They are a new tech start-up company that is still growing. They may have done a few things right starting out, but that doesn't mean they are not a terrible company that treats their drivers like shit and probably won't be viable in the long term. Every year, they cut their rates and lose more and more drivers who can't deal with the constant pay cuts. Eventually, it will end up being the same level of service as taxis.

It's not an unbiased review, though. They could have a better system that encouraged unbiased reviews in a way that didn't result in drivers being fired en masse.

You could allways unionize.

Uber will have its own fleet and there won't be a need for small contractors

it's dinosaur era VOC/customer satisfaction. Should switch to a yes/no system that allows comments rather than this 5 star bullshit.

even fucking AMAZON is yes/no

This is what I was told as a newspaper reporter and it somehow justified my boss paying us less than half the national standard for mileage compensation. The tax write off was marginal.

>companies don't have the right to fire people that do average work

It would be fine if they had a rating system, but it should be more transparent. For example

>Was this ride satisfactory? Yes/No
>If no, please choose what went wrong:
>a. bad navigation
>b. dirty car
>c. rude driver (please explain) __________
>e. [insert other common problem]

If a driver gets more than a certain percentage of unsatisfactory rides with these problems (say, 20% of rides have "bad navigation" ratings), then they would be required to take a 2 hour class with Uber before being allowed to keep driving.

>4.6/5 star rating = average
Fuck off with this forced meme.

in my country they are setting uber drivers cars on fire cause of they are the rivals, so , no, i'm affraid. i use regular taxi.

mfw self driving cars destroy the entire concept of "driving" anywhere in 5 years time.

also when 10 million fat stupid truck drivers (plus people that take care of them) are now out of work.

Electric and hybrid cars haven't even destroyed gasoline cars in the 10 years or however long they've been on the market. Self-driving cars aren't considered safe to ride in yet. It's going to take a lot longer for them to become widespread.

A newspaper reporter doesn't drive as much as a full time Uber driver.

Yes. I have 2 priors. Both more than 10 years ago. I was moonlighting with uber, but it's not worth it IMO. Wear and tear on car, traffic stress, asshole passengers and low income all combine and have made me give it up.