Why can you see the sides of a tube if you look down it?

why can you see the sides of a tube if you look down it?

how come the exit hole appears smaller than the entrance hole even though they are the same size?

i'm thinking about this in terms of a paper towel roll's cardboard tube. if you look down it, you can see the sides, even though its a uniform cylinder.

why?

Other urls found in this thread:

handprint.com/HP/WCL/color1.html
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gravitational_lens
youtube.com/watch?v=zNqXtzTcIqE
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Perspective_(visual)
twitter.com/SFWRedditVideos

because perpsective dumbtard

like this, but i can't find a good picture that shows the view of the man.

does it have to do with the curvature of your eyes?

>he doesn't understand perspective
I don't understand how this even happens.

>perpsective

You're fucking stupid

fellow Cred Forumstard what and the fuck are you on. Like shit that kind of thinking only comes from acid or autism. Pick one. Because autistic people typically dont do acid. Are you autistic?

This is almost as bad as microwave time

It's the same reason why I can see your mum's cervix and vaginal wall at the same time.

This

obviously the tube turns into a cone when you put your eye to it

i get what you mean, i mean thats what would happen in a 2D world

because science

science and nerve gas

nerve gas and science

world keeps turnin'

NEERVE GAS = 9/11

but what the fuck does that mean?

i understand fundamentally that things that are farther away appear smaller, but in the sense of a tube, surely you shouldn't be able to see the sides?

like, i figure if you have a tube with a small enough area on the entrance and a large enough area on the exit, you would no longer be able to see the sides-- like a megaphone.

or am i totally wrong in that assertion? would you always be able to see the sides as long as the sides have a linear curvature?

at what point are the sides no longer visible?

>curvature of your eyes?
yes.

this is hilarious OP go on

Steel melt cant jet beam

Your cone of vision is pretty wide. Around 135 degrees for most people. You're not only able to see things straight ahead lol.
That's like asking why you can see your finger when you touch your nose.

Because your " field of view is not a cylinder but rather like a cone.

I mean yo would essentially have to look through the top of a Frisbee with a hole in the middle to not see the sides because of the curvature of the eyeball, but that wouldn't be any sort of tube now would it...

>ITT googles get trolled because cones aren't tubes

is it because light spreads out?

i'm trying to understand the physics behind the phenomenon, not what the answer is in every day terms.

there must be some sort of real answer to this. i figure it correlates with the curvature of the lens in your eye, or of the surface of it.

in the same way that you can't see your hand moving behind your head-- there is some point where you can no longer see things in your periphery

I'd wondered this too for a while, but never thought very hard about it or put the question into words. So, here's the deal. When we see things, we think of the things we see as a two-dimensional representation of the world in front of us. However, this isn't quite the reality of the situation. In reality, you can think of your field of vision as projecting out from your eyes. So, the sides of the tube are at the edges of the projection, and the center is, well, at the center. If you had a huge eyeball that only looked directly in front of itself, then you'd see a circle if you looked at the tube in the way you're describing.

>is it because light spreads out?
No.

So what your question is really asking is what is the FOV of the human eye and what makes it that? That's slightly less retarded.

what the fuck did I just read

more or less. i got to thinking about it by looking down a fucking cardboard tube and wondering "hmm you know the tube is a uniform diameter, it's weird that the sides are visible. surely i should just see a hole if i'm holding it perfectly straight"

checked.
To continue, in reality, when you see things, the process of actually interpreting what you see is very, very, very, very, very, very complicated. If you're interested, here ya go: handprint.com/HP/WCL/color1.html

And that's just page 1 of 8, and all of that is only the beginning of the rabbit hole.

maybe this helps?

think of your vision as the camera from blender - its two rectangles, infinitely far apart, one infinitely small, and one infinitely big. the circle on the small slice is going to be bigger relative to the other circles area on the big slice.

objects (or in this case, the opening of a tube) appear smaller because they occupy a smaller percentage of your field of vision. They reflect less light into your eye in comparison to other objects. You don't see objects for how big they are, you see them as how much of your field of view they occupy, or what percentage of the light you perceive comes from them.

Getting back to the tube now. Each opening is the same size, of course, but one appears smaller because it's further away and occupies a smaller portion of your field of view. The sides of the tube connect the two openings and are visible because some light reflected off the inside surface goes into your eye.

Imagine yourself getting closer to the tube and putting your eye into it, like a telescope. The insides of the tube now take up a majority of your field of view, and that's because the difference in perspective based on difference grows exponentially as objects get closer. This is also why if you look through binoculars or a telephoto lens, objects in front of one another seem "stacked" on top of each other, like they're touching, even if they're several feet apart. It's all perspective.

So, can you always see the inside, no matter what? Technically, perhaps, but eventually the tube would be so distant the perceived difference in size would be so minimal you could hardly see the sides anyway.

Adjust your field of view accordingly and you won't be able to see the walls.

difference in perspective based on **distance**

Honestly these are the types of questions that have led to and still lead to scientific discoveries and breakthroughs. Don't feel stupid, it's a valid question just maybe not asked the best way, which again just shows your strength is likely in your curiousity, and perhaps not the expression of it.

thanks for that.

that displays the phenomenon i'm talking about in a better way.

in the way that if you pull the tube further from your eye, the difference is less and less significant. eventually, the walls are more or less negligible as the entrance and exit of the tube take up less space visually.

yep that makes sense. its like integration.

as a consequence of adding depth to our vision, we have to perceive things farther away as being smaller.

Well think about your perception of the hole at the end. Similar to holding one thumb near your face and one farther away, you can see,based on your immediate understanding of the distance of what your focusing on, the hole will appear smaller like you said, now the walls on either side are connect to said hole at the end, so as the wall extends to the hole you are going to see the wall extend from the base of your vision the the center of your field of view, or the rim of the perceived hole

you might have some sensory perception issues tell your doctor...
basically its a factor of 3 dimensional point (ur eye) being simplified by your mind into two dimensions by a loss of information...
all persevered depth is either re added by your mind (see 3d illusions of negative depth aka that negative of a face that follows you) or a factor of having two eyes known as true depth perception loss of this is a medical symptom please speak with your doctor.

They not only take up less space, but the difference in perceived size between the two openings decreases as you get further away

maybe we should change that fact

Imagine these are straight lines...

i think i'm done here. i have some reading to do now. i'm satisfied with the answers you have given though.

it's just an interesting phenomenon, how we can perceive 2D objects in a 3D sense.

take this attached picture. its easy to put yourself in the position of the camera, and understand the smaller cars are further away.

in actuality though, its just a flat image rendered on your screen. you make the inference of depth from your experiences in daily life.

...this is more autistic than the question...

didnt even respond to my post...

Yep, this.

stfu. everyone knows the answer to this question already. Op is just being stupid

>perpsective

thank you
-

this is good

the answer is actually quiet simple.

thats just how your brain (the thing reading this now) interprets light and the distance from this light originates from.

for all accounts the interpretation could be "different", but given the values and constants of our universe, this is just how your brain works.

more interestingly if ripples in space time exist where can we see their effects in macroscopic space time (aka the sky over time)

We can sometimes see super distant galaxies on the other side of galaxies because the closer galaxies bend the light from the distant galaxy around them.

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gravitational_lens

10/10 not autistic
see ...

Lol, as a matter of fact, i am autistic.

Your the biggest queer in this thread.

umm sir i said ripples in space time...
not curves..
i dont have a clear example of what im looking for..but thats not it... i dont think.

well then...
an autist can literally do this better

your...

The bending of space time in the form of ripples doesn't usually occur. Because the only things we know to cause changes in the shape of space time are mass or energy. And generally speaking in the universe, big fuckin' things tend to just stay big and fuckin'. They don't oscillate between being big and slightly less big. The only thing i know of which has produced something which could be described of as ripples are when recently one of our new detectors sensed gravitational waves, when either a couple of black holes merged or a couple of neutron stars merged, or something like that. And we can't really SEE that. The machines at the detector sensed it, but it isn't like we saw some shit on a scope. They just detected a momentary change in the length of two extremely finely tuned lasers(i think), indicating that a wave of bent spacetime passed through us.

VIRTUAL AND REAL IMAGE

youtube.com/watch?v=zNqXtzTcIqE

Kinda...

This is like explaining a lens to your brain?

It's really because your vision is going through the lens of your eye. It's difficult to know if an object would lack perspective if you could "see" it with no "lens".

It's unlikely that this is the case though. Theoretically, if you had a perfectly flat lens in your eye (a plain sheet of glass for example) then your field of view would be equal to the width of the detector (retina). This would mean that objects at a distance would be the same size as objects close up (no perspective).

But picking up photons without a lens is probably pretty close to impossible so this is not a relevant scenario I'd guess.

TL;DR, you can see it because your eyeball is curved/the lens in your eye is curved.

All of you are being trolled.

I'm on mobile.
Shut your fucking faces. I'm using Adobe Illustrator Draw on Android and maybe a little drunk but this is the best way to explain, your eye is smaller than the openings. If you draw lines out from the eye you can easily see how it sees the whole inner tube.

Still does not explain it.

See:

i got you thinking about it and now like me you know there must be some trace ... overlapping events... something in the sky must show this effect.

That is gravitational lensing, as i said before. It even says it in the name of the gif. Black hole lensing.

You're badly drawing a bunch of lens diagrams.

It's because there is a lens in your eye. That is why. Jesus.

Imagine a bunch of these at all the points for the front and back of the tube based upon the lens in your eye.

Then change the lens so that it is not a lens but only a flat piece of glass. You would not see the far hole at all. This is why you see perspective. Lensing.

no not even if you drew a pin hole cam id give you some credit but no...
you didn't show how the front is larger than the back by crossing the lines ...leaving an inverted image ...

ik, i saved it from the wiki you linked me too...
that said... we should be able to see this in nature beyond novel measurements of lazers ...
stars suddenly appearing.. something!

events that wash over each-other....

im out.

Only the autists can do things regulars can't.

Not really. The lens of your eye has to be curved to obtain focus. If you had a flat lens to your eye you wouldn't really be able to see anything.

Objects farther away appear smaller because they have a smaller visual angle.

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Perspective_(visual)

Generally speaking, we can't. Because these are big things, really far away, and they don't move fast from our perspective. The image of the galaxy warped around the galaxy closer to us is just frozen in the middle of that lensing pic you just posted because it's so fuckin' far away and moving so slowly.

Did you actually read what I wrote? Clearly not. Try reading my post and I explain in there how a piece of glass is not a lens and that a detector with no lens will not give you an "image" as we know it but that it would also have no perspective per a lens diagram.

>Reading is fundamental.

How high are you