Do you have to believe EVERY SINGLE DETAIL of a religion to be part of the religion?

Do you have to believe EVERY SINGLE DETAIL of a religion to be part of the religion?

like, can you be christian without believing in the magic tricks jesus did?

Don't bother with all these questions and create yours faggot

Yes. I am a deist. For me religion is about promoting good behavior through fables and myths, so we can all get along and not be dicks. The details is where each one gets fucked.

if you dont believe in christ why be a christian?

I believe that much of what Jesus did and said on earth was a miracle. But the Siegfried and Roy bullshit attributed to him can be anything from the power of placebo to pure marketing.

That the Bible wasn't written down for nearly 80uears after Jesus's death, and by a guy who pretty much out and out admitted he was a giant faggot who hated women says to me that much of the actual good Jesus brought on earth was twisted for the purposes of greedy, unscrupulous assholes concerned less with the spiritual teachings and more with earthly power over others.

So I believe in the teachings of Christ. I just think those that call themselves Christians these days are shitlord hypocrites of the highest order.

So in other words - if you call yourself a Christian, I very highly doubt you're a follower of Christ and his teachings. So I won't call myself one, even though his core teachings are good and worthwhile.

>>Can be Christian without believing the magic tricks Jesus did?

No. Even those who do aren't redeemed strictly because they acknowledge His power. In fact, the Luciferians responsible for your agnostic disposition are well aware of the power of Christ. And their power lies in your spiritual deficit.

serious question: Can you consider yourself a buddhist if you believe in karma, reincarnation, epiphany and stuff, but don't know the WHOLE story about the two buddhas and stuff?

Remember, the bible was written by people who thought the world is flat. Take what you want from it, leave the rest. Main point of Christianity: don't be a dick

Buddha was a person (563-483 B.C.), Gautama Siddharta) not a God. The word Buddha simply means the "enlightened one"

"Don't blindly believe what I say. Don't believe me because others convince you of my words. Don't believe anything you see, read, or hear from others, whether of authority, religious teachers or texts. Don't rely on logic alone, nor speculation. Don't infer or be deceived by appearances.
Do not give up your authority [individual liberty] and follow blindly the will of others. This way will lead to only delusion.
Find out for yourself what is truth, what is real. Discover that there are virtuous things and there are non-virtuous things. Once you have discovered for yourself give up the bad and embrace the good."

You're either with us or the enemy. You have to pick one to determine your eternity and you HAVE TO DO IT NOW

yeah i know that. i know the basics of buddhism, and i do believe in this karma thing. i even somewhat know the story of both buddhas, and the enlightenment. i just don't know every single detail. i don't know if i can consider myself a buddhist or not.

Buddha is saying what he thought but also that you must think and discover for yourself what is right. It is very close to Deism.

“… [Deists] admit that we may know the existence of an original Being by mere reason, but that our concept of it is transcendental only, as of a Being that possesses all reality, but a reality that cannot be further determined.” Critique of Pure Reason, Book II Transcendental Dialectic, Chapter III The Ideal of Pure Reason, Section VII (1781, English translation 1881 by F. Max Müller), Immanuel Kant

You sir have my respect.

I hope that's bait, no one could be this retarded.

I believe in one God, and no more; and I hope for happiness beyond this life.
I believe the equality of man; and I believe that religious duties consist in doing justice, loving mercy, and endeavoring to make our fellow-creatures happy.
But, lest it should be supposed that I believe many other things in addition to these, I shall, in the progress of this work, declare the things I do not believe, and my reasons for not believing them.
I do not believe in the creed professed by the Jewish church, by the Roman church, by the Greek church, by the Turkish church, by the Protestant church, nor by any church that I know of. My own mind is my own church.
All national institutions of churches, whether Jewish, Christian, or Turkish, appear to me no other than human inventions, set up to terrify and enslave mankind, and monopolize power and profit.
I do not mean by this declaration to condemn those who believe otherwise; they have the same right to their belief that I have to mine. But it is necessary to the happiness of man, that he be mentally faithful to himself. Infidelity does not consist in believing or in disbelieving; it consists in professing to believe what he does not believe.
It is impossible to calculate the moral mischief, if I may so express it, that mental lying has produced in society. When a man has so far corrupted and prostituted the chastity of his mind, as to subscribe his professional belief to things he does not believe, he has prepared himself for the commission of every other crime. He takes up the trade of a priest for the sake of gain, and in order to qualify himself for that trade, he begins with a perjury. Can we conceive anything more destructive to morality than this?” The Age of Reason (1794), Thomas Paine

Jean Meslier (1678-1733) was a Catholic parish-priest for 35 years at Etrepigny in Champagne, France. He wrote a book titled “Superstition in all Ages” that he shared with no one during his lifetime but left it as a bequest to his parishioners. It was first published in-part by Voltaire in 1762.
“To discern the true principles of morality men have no need of theology, of revelation, or of gods; they need but common sense. They have only to look into themselves, to reflect on their own nature, to consult their obvious interests, to consider the object of society and of each of its members; and they will easily understand that virtue is an advantage, and that vice is an injury, to beings of their species.” Superstition in all Ages (Preface), Jean Meslier. Quoted in “The Story of Civilization”, Book IX, The Age of Voltaire (1965), Will and Ariel Durant
Meslier goes on to say:
“I will not sacrifice my reason, because this reason alone enables me to distinguish between good and evil, the true and the false…I will not give up my experience, because it is a much better guide than imagination, or than the authority of the guides whom they wish to give me…I will not distrust my senses. I do not ignore the fact that they can sometimes lead me into error; but on the other hand I know that they do not deceive me always; …my senses suffice to rectify the hasty judgments which they induce me to form.” Superstition in all Ages (Section CXXXV), Jean Meslier. Quoted in “The Story of Civilization”, Book IX, The Age of Voltaire (1965), Will and Ariel Durant

my respect too.

The vast majority of people are afraid of dying, and as a result religion was invented. Sure, someone took one for the team by making all kinds of shit up in order to make the rest of the group feel better.

But yeah, It' pretty much all bullshit. When you die, it will feel like going into a deep sleep. Remember the 1800's or the 400's when Rome was looted into oblivion? yeah, the future will feel like this once you are long gone.

Yes to the first no to the second

Buddhists really don't believe in reincarnation

“But at least learn your inability to believe, since reason brings you to this, and yet you cannot believe. Endeavor, then, to convince yourself, not by increase of proofs of God, but by the abatement of your passions. You would like to attain faith and do not know the way; you would like to cure yourself of unbelief and ask the remedy for it. Learn of those who have been bound like you, and who now stake all their possessions. These are people who know the way which you would follow, and who are cured of an ill of which you would be cured. Follow the way by which they began; by acting as if they believed…
Now, what harm will befall you in taking this side? You will be faithful, humble, grateful, generous, a sincere friend, truthful. Certainly you will not have those poisonous pleasures, glory and luxury; but will you not have others? I will tell you that you will thereby gain in this life, and that, at each step you take on this road, you will see so great certainty of gain, so much nothingness in what you risk, that you will at last recognize that you have wagered for something certain and infinite, for which you have given nothing.” The Thoughts of Blaise Pascal, Pascal’s Wager (1657-1658), translated (1910) by W. F. Trotter, Blaise Pascal

Jefferson Bible, was a book constructed by Thomas Jefferson in witch he removed all the fairy tales from the bible, and kept the useful things.

Needless to say, It was a much thinner book.

“We need no great elevation of soul to understand that here is no true and solid satisfaction, that all our pleasures are but vanity, our evils infinite, and lastly that death, which threatens us every moment, must infallibly and within a few years place us in the dread alternative of being forever either annihilated or wretched.

Nothing is more real than this, nothing more terrible. Brave it out as we may, that is yet the end which awaits the fairest life in the world. Let us reflect on this, and then say if it be not certain that there is no good in this life save in the hope of another, that we are happy only in proportion as we approach it, and that as there is no more sorrow for those who have an entire assurance of eternity, so there is no happiness for those who have not a ray of its light.

…I see those dreadful spaces of the universe which close me in, and I find myself fixed in one corner of this vast expanse, without knowing why I am set in this place rather than elsewhere, nor why this moment of time given me for life is assigned to this point rather than another of the whole Eternity which was before me or which shall be after me. I see nothing but infinities on every side, which close me round as an atom, and as a shadow which endures but for an instant and returns no more. I know only that I must shortly die, but what I know the least is this very death which I cannot avoid.” The Thoughts of Blaise Pascal (1657-1658), translated (1888) by C. Kegen Paul, Blaise Pascal

theres a fuckload versions of this religion

thats being jew , jesus wasnt cool enough for them

Nice one, user.

I believe in God, the Father Almighty, creator of Heaven and Earth. I believe in Jesus Christ, his only Son, our Lord, who was conceived by the Holy Spirit and born of the Virgin Mary. He suffered under Pontius Pilate, was crucified, died, and was buried; he descended to hell. The third day he rose again from the dead. He ascended to Heaven and is seated at the right hand of God the Father Almighty. From thence he shall come to judge the living and the dead.

I believe in the Holy Spirit, the Holy Catholic Church, the communion of saints, the forgiveness of sins, the resurrection of the body, and life everlasting.

Still, I can't outright give up
My beliefs for established religion. I've read the Bible, and all it made me, was agnostic. Something written by so many authors with so many discreptancies. It's too much to just deny. I'm not saying it's all bullshit, just that I can't blindly accept things I know to be partial truths.

Yup, too many discrepancies. And a lot of things are super outdated. Like the part where you can kill your children if they are disobedient just doesn't fly any more.

Also, that part where Jesus cursed a fig tree to never give anymore figs. Well, the dude wanted a fig out of season WTF. It wasn't the tree's fault.

Then the whole flood thing. I mean, Why kill all those innocent people cause of a few bad apples. that's just too extreme for me. That was even worse than what the Nazis did.

Fun fact: In the bible god kills Millions more people that the devil. Shit; the devil was a saint compare to god, he killed what? one or two people. Talk about a temper. God even makes the worse dictators jealous.

Yes. Unlike other religions, buddhism doesn't set requirement parameters. Theoretically, you can be new to buddhism, talk a walk in the park and experience enlightenment and become a buddha. No one's gonna fight you over this. Also buddhists dont have superpowers, can fly/walk on water or awake from the dead after 3 days. That's the downside of buddhism.

If you want a serious answer instead of a bunch of people telling you religion is stupid, then no - there doesn't seem to be any requirement for you to believe in all miracles presented in the Bible.

The Bible states "that if you confess with your mouth, “Jesus is Lord,” and believe in your heart that God raised Him from the dead, you will be saved. For with your heart you believe and are justified, and with your mouth you confess and are saved." (Romans 10:9-10).

It doesn't say "if you confess with your mouth, believe in your heart, and believe every single detail in this entire book, you will be saved".

Some may disagree with me and I never claim to be correct when answering religious questions but it seems clear to me that there are minimum requirements to be saved under Christianity and I haven't seen anything stating that part of those minimum requirements are 100% full belief of all Biblical stories.

Hope this helps

As a born-again Christian this post upsets me. Not because you're wrong, but because you are exactly right. "those that call themselves Christians these days are shitlord hypocrites of the highest order."

That statement is completely true and it's infuriating because it doesn't allow people to see what Christianity really is. A true Christian will admit their faults (I have many) and describe their need for a Savior. The hypocrites you speak of no doubt are the ones that go around pointing out others faults (explicitly pointed out as foolish and wrong by Christ himself) and all in all being dbags.

All this to say, you don't need to hold to EVERY detail of the Bible to be a Christian, but there are some things that most feel (myself included) you cannot budge on (IE: Diety of Christ, His death and resurrection). I would ask you to not let the hypocritical Christians stop you from genuinely seeking out what the true meaning of the gospel is. Hope you find what you're looking for.